• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

With health care out of the way, time to define 'reasonable gun control' looms

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Let's make one thing very clear: The United States Supreme Court, in it's current form and likely future form, will not rule this health care bill a violation of the US constitution. It simply will not happen.

That being said, I have an alternative that would actually quell the 10th amendment concerns. You folks ever hear of interstate compacts?

Well, here's my idea:

You have a group of 20 of the blue states (let's include Washington State and Oregon) forming a non-profit corporation via an interstate compact. It'll be "single payer" for the states that participates, but on a state level so it avoids the 10th amendment problem. In order to do this, you have to repeal the law which states that you cannot sell health insurance across state lines and repealing the federal ban on state health insurance laws effecting enrollment into federally chartered health insurance plans, but it allows this compact to flourish as more and more states can join in. Think of it like PowerBall or Mega Millions Lottery. The compact can also go ahead and start mass advertisements into the states that haven't joined, and try to convince the state's population and legislature to join in.

Now we can get into a debate as to whether or not single payer is a good idea or not. I'm proposing it here as an alternative to the current law, one that is NOT effected by the 10th amendment problem, and the states would have the constitutional ability to make this a requirement, versus any questions at all about the United States government being involved in it. Heck, the US government's insurance pool can join into it too as part of the compact.

We're getting way off-topic, that being said.

Gray Peterson

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Couldn't agree more ,welfare isNOT a career choice.We need to start kicking millions off the welfare gravey train.The IRS needs to have it's wings clipped bigtime.All these illegals need to get gone.They should be paying us to be here.They run across the border straight to a welfare office.It has to stop .This is the biggest reason I own firarms .We ay be forced to defend ouselves from these people.
"Welfare" is limited to 5 years throughout the life of the person receiving it. There are no longer "welfare queens" who spend two or three decades on the system. That all changed in 1996 with the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act.

The only people who have any sort of entitlement to anything beyond five years are people who are disabled therefor eligible for SSDI/SSI/Medicare/Medicaid (Which includes you, Jim). I am not saying for a minute that you're a "welfare queen", but you get a check every month too. It's all about mentality, and I happen to know folk myself who are disabled and truly unable to work in any job, and they've been that way since childhood due to physically disabling injuries sustained. They certainly don't go in at the first of the month and buy a bunch of booze.

Not everywhere is Highway 99 and Rainier Ave, Jim, and you're not a leech either.

amzbrady

imported post

Gray Peterson wrote:
DEROS72 wrote:
Couldn't agree more ,welfare isNOT a career choice.We need to start kicking millions off the welfare gravey train.The IRS needs to have it's wings clipped bigtime.All these illegals need to get gone.They should be paying us to be here.They run across the border straight to a welfare office.It has to stop .This is the biggest reason I own firarms .We ay be forced to defend ouselves from these people.
"Welfare" is limited to 5 years throughout the life of the person receiving it. There are no longer "welfare queens" who spend two or three decades on the system. That all changed in 1996 with the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act.

The only people who have any sort of entitlement to anything beyond five years are people who are disabled therefor eligible for SSDI/SSI/Medicare/Medicaid (Which includes you, Jim). I am not saying for a minute that you're a "welfare queen", but you get a check every month too. It's all about mentality, and I happen to know folk myself who are disabled and truly unable to work in any job, and they've been that way since childhood due to physically disabling injuries sustained. They certainly don't go in at the first of the month and buy a bunch of booze.

Not everywhere is Highway 99 and Rainier Ave, Jim, and you're not a leech either.
I know of someone who's wife is on welfare, has been for going on 8 years, they have a grand kid on disability, has had DSHS called several times for various things with nothing done, Father works full time, gets paid half cash and other half check at min wage so ex only gets min on child support, works another part of the company for cash under the table, and the company has never made a cash deposit (that goes in his pocket), only checks, mc and visa. They live above the company rent free in a section 8 apt the company get money for. How do you like that for playing the system?

amzbrady

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Gray Peterson wrote:
DEROS72 wrote:

I know of someone who's wife is on welfare, has been for going on 8 years, they have a grand kid on disability, has had DSHS called several times for various things with nothing done, Father works full time, gets paid half cash and other half check at min wage so ex only gets min on child support, works another part of the company for cash under the table, and the company has never made a cash deposit (that goes in his pocket), only checks, mc and visa. They live above the company rent free in a section 8 apt the company get money for. How do you like that for playing the system?
I forgot to mention their daughter who was living with them was also getting a food card, she moved 2 months ago to Nevada and is mailing the card back to the mother and father.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
kparker wrote:
Sylvia (and Gray),

You should know better than to take the media reports at face value.

I find it interesting that in the day and age of cell phone cameras, handheld video camera's and media everywhere that several congressmen walked down a main street in downtown Washington DC and there is no video or audio evidence that racial epithets were spoken. There are several witnesses that are minorities and 'tea party' protesters that state they have witnessed no such epithets being spoken. There are no anonymous sources (US PPD (Personal Protection Detail)). Yes, there is still the potential of this to have happened. Yes, it could of been agent provocateurs.

However, Gray is right image in the media is as important as what actually happened. I know that when I am out and about with my firearm OC that I am part of that image. We must all be aware of that image. I will take responsibility for my actions in the public, I hope that you will also.

As a follow up to the assertion that the negative events were from the tea party or from Democrat operatives. This black man asserts that they were operatives.

http://www.breitbart.tv/the-big-black-lie-author-debates-msnbcs-shuster-on-tea-party-violence/

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

I am sorry but pulling a black man out of the Tea Party who refutes the racist comments and homophobic comments doesn't lessen what likely occurred. next you are going to post a link where a gay person says that the Tea Party are not homophobes?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
I am sorry but pulling a black man out of the Tea Party who refutes the racist comments and homophobic comments doesn't lessen what likely occurred. next you are going to post a link where a gay person says that the Tea Party are not homophobes?

There are racist and homophobes on both sides.

Do politicians lie? Would they lie and damage propertyto obtain sympathy in the press?

I think that we are obligated to think critically and examine the evidence that exists. Allegations do not make a conviction. The nature and veracity of the allegation does not mean that it is true.

It does not mean that it is not true either.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:

Do politicians lie? Would they lie and damage propertyto obtain sympathy in the press?

I think that we are obligated to think critically and examine the evidence that exists. Allegations do not make a conviction. The nature and veracity of the allegation does not mean that it is true.

I am not saying homophones and racists aren't on both sides (nobody know my racial stance even though I am gay). The lack of footage does not mean that racist and homophobic comments weren't made. I can say that it is possible all of this is a lie, can you say that it is possible that it is the truth?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:

I am not saying homophones and racists aren't on both sides (nobody know my racial stance even though I am gay). The lack of footage does not mean that racist and homophobic comments weren't made. I can say that it is possible all of this is a lie, can you say that it is possible that it is the truth?

Yes, it is possible that it is true. At this point there are no independent accounts of it being true. There were PPD assigned to the politicians yet there is no confirmation from them that it happened. I just find it interesting that there were cameras everywhere to mark the historic occasion, yet there is not any of these shenanigans on camera? Just an observation.

If those comments were made, shame on them! If bricks were thrown at office windows then prosecute.

It is not beneath either side to stoop to this level.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

When posters of former President Bush depicted him as Hitler I was completely against that type of trash. There are buttheads on both sides, that's for sure. Too bad they aren't able to have the same respectful level of discussion that we have on here.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
When posters of former President Bush depicted him as Hitler I was completely against that type of trash. There are buttheads on both sides, that's for sure. Too bad they aren't able to have the same respectful level of discussion that we have on here.
Agreed. It is par for the course however. I don't have a problem with strong words that attack ideas, I think personal attacks areuncalled for and should be condemed.

Gray Peterson