• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laws of OC and a dog attack?

wrightme

imported post

McX wrote:
but round here your screwed no matter what. you 'smack' the doggie, and the d.a. can get you for discharing a firearm in the city, or county, i'd bet. dog gets his bite no matter what.
"Cite to authority." I doubt that one.

Without a citation to law, you are wrong. You are conflating a ticket for likely unlawful activity to a self-defense activity. I find it HIGHLY unlikely that anyone would be tickets and/or charged for a self-defensive shooting, and I cannot understand why you would present it otherwise.

Sgt_Habz

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Master Doug Huffman wrote:
To find moral equivalency among beasts and men is an obamanation leading to, such as, the legal inability to slaughter beef.
It's a debatable subject. Seen from another perspective, another conclusion, albeit unpopular, would be that if killing humans and other animals are morally equivalent, killing a human being is no more wrong than killing a steer.

Obviously even popular moral beliefs do not necessarily become codified in law and one can easily imagine a society that believes human and non-human animals have equal moral worth or rights and yet the law permits killing and eating non-human animals. That's because anything can arbitrarily be made into law, independent of moral beliefs.
Well said Shotgun.

Packer fan

imported post

Again you must look at the dogbeing off itsproperty. Does the dog have a recorded history? If it has happened in the past talk to owner and Police get it on record. If it continues the City may require the dog to be put down, but get it on record.

Carcharodon

imported post

I dont want to sound like a hardass but if someone shoots one of my dogs, they better be ready for the consequences. I keep my staffie in great shape. an I will admit she looks intimidating but if she would get shot for running at someone in her yard... My min pin ot the other hand, if he runs at you and you get scared, you're probably deserving of an ass kicking lol.

wrightme

imported post

Carcharodon wrote:
I dont want to sound like a hardass but if someone shoots one of my dogs, they better be ready for the consequences. I keep my staffie in great shape. an I will admit she looks intimidating but if she would get shot for running at someone in her yard... My min pin ot the other hand, if he runs at you and you get scared, you're probably deserving of an ass kicking lol.
If someone shoots your dog whilst it is running at someone in your yard.... that is one thing. An alert to you that you have an intruder.

If someone shoots your dog whilst it is running at someone in their yard..... well, you have no leg to stand on.

Mine is a Golden/Staff mix, 85 at 8mos. 6' fence.

Carcharodon

imported post

wow thats a big un! mine is 62 lbs of muscle, 26 mph running flat out. I've seen amstaffs go over 8 ft chainlink like it wasn't there, especially after chickens lol.

professor gun

imported post

It seems like you would avoid a lot of hassles by using Bear Defense spray, but I am not sure how effective it would be. Supposedly it is made to stop animals but not having tried it I do not know.

I had a large German Shepherd come after me with evil intent when I was running in a park and I put a good side kick into his open mouth. He ran back to his owners who were very upset with me.

junkie

imported post

I don't think I am going to bother carrying bear defense spray. It seems if you were to add a new tool for every situation you eventually would be loaded down with a 100 pound ruck sack. Just my 2 cents.

wrightme

imported post

Carcharodon wrote:
wow thats a big un! mine is 62 lbs of muscle, 26 mph running flat out. I've seen amstaffs go over 8 ft chainlink like it wasn't there, especially after chickens lol.
normal_large.jpg

Last month, 80 lbs.

normal_lazy_eater.jpg

Today, 85 lbs.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

junkie wrote:
I don't think I am going to bother carrying bear defense spray. It seems if you were to add a new tool for every situation you eventually would be loaded down with a 100 pound ruck sack. Just my 2 cents.
I think the bear defense spray works fine against dogs, but you're right, it's a pretty big can to haul around outside of actual "bear territory." Maybe they make smaller-sized cans for bears, but the ones I've seen are the size of a can of Raid, or similar in size to some of the larger LEO stuff for riots and large crowds.

Our little dog (14 lbs) was ganged up on at the dog park by two larger dogs (probably around 50 lbs each) a couple of weeks ago. The first dog had mine flipped on his back and the other was snarling in his face from the side. I did a two-hand grab on #1's back and tackled him to the ground on his back about 10 feet away. It took all the aggression out of him. Meanwhile, Glockgirl scooped up our dog who was unhurt. I think dog #2's aggression was feeding off of #1's and his interest waned quickly after #1 ending up on his back with me on top of him. Dominance and submission.

32HR MAG

imported post

Most cities,towns and even counties have some sort of ordinance dealing with dogs.Generally the owner must keep them under control.Which means kenneled or leashed.Now we all no that is not the way us dog owners keep Rover all the time.
Do not assume you can keep your dog under control with your voice.It is an animal .It has it's own brain.If a dog decides it doesn't want to listen it won't.Remember the movie "They only kill their Master"?
If I was your Dad.I would call LE every time that piss of sh&^ dog stepped foot in my yard,and I don't like to call them for anything.If he is running loose in his yard .The dog is still a danger and is technically not under-control.
I used to drive truck for a livestock hauler.I met farm dogs everywhere I stopped to pick up another cow or pig or whatever was on the list.Most farm dogs would act very aggressive the first or even second time I stopped at the farm.After that no problem.I pretty much ignored them or would try to make them think I was the best friend they never new.It is amazing what a piece of beef jerky can do.
As far as pepper spray .Talk to the local post office employee that walks his route.In Plymouth I know that some of the guys have had good luck with a brand sold at the bike shop in town.It is not the size of a bear spray canister but is the same concentration.

M

McX

imported post

i'm not realy qualified to speak here, all we have is cats, but they can be mean cats!:D

32HR MAG

imported post

Hey,keep that cat under-control.Is it a big cat?What are you compensating for?
If you tell your cat to sit and stay what happens?lol

cscitney87

imported post

Some points made already to bring out;

1. OC and Drawing on the canine will have zero (0) effect as the canine doesn't know the dangers of a pistol.

2. The owner of the canine will be EXTREMELY upset; as most canines are "members of the family"

3. You are ALWAYS legally justified in shooting and killing a pet canine when approached; unleashed- Regardless of somebody's opinion of the canine's demeanor.

IE. If you think your dog is nice, literally never bit anyone, and wags his tail all the time with half a doggie smile... If this canine; unleashed, approaches a person in possession of a firearm- that person Will Not, Should Not, and Can Not wait to see if the dog is nice or aggressive- for it will be to late if the dog is aggressive.

Moral of the story is; if you feel threatened by an unleashed and approaching canine- You fire and fast.

Like everyone else here said; better than Dead/Hospitalized.

Tomahawk

imported post

Carcharodon wrote:

Nobody is required to know how to act around your dog to prevent an attack. Preventing the attack is your problem. If you fail to do this, and your dog gets shot, you have no business affecting a second assault against the victim of your incompetent dog ownership. Keep your temper and your animals under control. And trash-talking about "ass-kickings" on the internet is also a bad idea, especially when you're talking about someone who just demonstrated his willingness to discharge a firearm in self-defense.

AaronS

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Dogs are not legal entities (with rights of any sort). To find moral equivalency among beasts and men is an obamanation leading to, such as, the legal inability to slaughter beef.

In my ten years CCW I drew once, on three dogs running on my curtilage towards my wife and daughter.
Now if that were true, how would one look at "police dogs". Hurt a cop dog, and it is like hurting a human cop... But, if the cops ever raid your home, your dogs are the first thing shot...

cscitney87

imported post

In retrospect; shooting a canine in self defense could lead to shooting the canine's owner in self defense. These "Can I shoot a dog" threads are numerous and emotional; here at OCDO. From owner to owner; we've all laid it out.

wrightme

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
In retrospect; shooting a canine in self defense could lead to shooting the canine's owner in self defense. These "Can I shoot a dog" threads are numerous and emotional; here at OCDO. From owner to owner; we've all laid it out.
You saw the photos of my dog. When I walk him, I am armed. If he attacks someone else without reason, he is dead by my hand!

I am raising and training him to act in the manner I desire. I expect him to be wary of strangers, but I do NOT train him to attack unprovoked. If he does, his life is forfeit. No dog is worth getting sued for all of ones worldly possessions.

Now if someone enters my property without my consent, the dog should act appropriately.

If my dog enters the property of someone else and moves to attack in an aggressive manner, I DO expect that property owner to respond to the threat, the same as I would act upon a threat of an uncontrolled animal that intrudes upon my property!

It goes both ways. If I expect the Right to self-defense, I must extend that Right to others.

wrightme

imported post

gunguy2009 wrote:
Can i draw on a large growling dog that appears an attack is imminant? Can I draw and fire on a dog that is coming at me with intent do harm?
Statute notwithstanding, I would expect you to act appropriately for your self-defense, and defense of those with you.
If statute causes this to be unlawful, move or work to change the statute.