• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laws of OC and a dog attack?

MK

imported post

I understand why many people would shoot an aggressive dog especially if it came onto the shooter's property. People don't want to be attacked and shouldn't have to deal with it at all if they can avoid it using defensive force.

Me personally, I would do whatever I could not to shoot the dog. If I don't have a small child in harm's way,and I couldn't retreat from the dog I would just go toe to toe with it the old fashioned way regardless of whether I am going to be bit up some by it. That's just how I'd prefer to deal with it. I don't fear any one dog that is less than my body weight.At least I don't fear for my life and I know the dog isn't going to think like a humanor be even close to the same kind of threat. I'd just go mano e dogo, open up my best can ofwhooped assand let the stronger mammal prevail.

Two or more dogs though, I wouldn't take a chance fighting them. Once you have two aggressive large animals it can quickly become a very deadly situation even if you are a sizable and fit man.

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Police shoot at attacking pit bulls
MARCI LAEHR TENUTA mtenuta@journaltimes.com | Posted: Wednesday, May 5, 2010 10:01 am | (15) Comments

RACINE - Police shot at two pit bull dogs early this morning while the dogs were attacking a man near West Street and North Memorial Drive.

One of the dogs was killed, but it is unknown if the other dog was struck. Racine police spokesman Sgt. Marty Pavilonis said the second dog ran from the area after an officer shot at it.

The dogs apparently attacked two men early this morning.

Police were called to the 1000 block of Blake Avenue around 4 a.m. A resident there told officers the first victim knocked on their door asking for help. Willie E. Norman, 44, of Racine, said he had been attacked by two pit bulls.

Officers then found the two dogs attacking Pedro Martinez-Zamora, 49, of Racine, near West Street and North Memorial Drive, Pavilonis said.

The officers diverted the dogs' attention fromMartinez-Zamora, and as the dogs began charging officers, one was shot and killed. A shot was also fired at the second dog, but it is unknown if the dog was hit, Pavilonis said.

Police have had contact with the owner of the dogs. They are no longer looking for the second dog involved in the attack.

Both men who were attacked were taken to Wheaton Franciscan - All Saints hospital, 3801 Spring St. They suffered bites to the hands and legs, Pavilonis said.

Posted in Crime-and-courts on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 10:01 am Updated: 12:38 pm. | Tags:

Tomahawk

imported post

Interesting, but inapplicable. Police are not held to the same standard as normal people. During raids, they almost always kill the pets just for fun.

cscitney87

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Interesting, but inapplicable. Police are not held to the same standard as normal people. During raids, they almost always kill the pets just for fun.
Man, you sure do have a slanted view of the police force as a whole. I'm sure they almost always Don't shoot the pet just for fun. Literally speaking.

AaronS

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Man, you sure do have a slanted view of the police force as a whole. I'm sure they almost always Don't shoot the pet just for fun. Literally speaking.

In Milwaukee it works that way... Well I can't say it is "just for fun", but the dogs will very often die in a raid.

I think it must be like running from the police. When you run, and get caught, the police just feel like it is part of the job to beat you a little... Ya know, it might just be "for fun" after all...

M

McX

imported post

i saw in the local paper this am; the police had to shoot a dog that attacked 2 people, chewed them up pretty badly. another dog got away, and still is at large. this is going to be one buisy summer around here to be sure.

Tomahawk

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
I'm sure they do. In every raid I hear about they shoot the dogs. Since I can't think of a reason why a bunch of guys dressed up like Darth Vader would feel a need to shoot a dog in the back as it's cowering in the next room, I'm going to assume it's because they are sadistic and because killing a dog is a chance to shoot something while the adrenaline's high without getting called on the carpet later. After all, they know guys like you will always give these government employees the benefit of the doubt.

cscitney87

imported post

Come on Tomahawk do your homework. Check my threads; I talk plenty of trash about government employees. I've been screwed over by my fair share of law enforcement officers. insert your foot in your mouth bud; I'm not fan of the fuzz.

At the same time you have a slanted view of the entire force as a whole. You are defending your original blanket statement that all pets are shot for fun.

All pets are not shot for fun. Literally. If you want me to take your statements any other way outside of Literally; you'll have to add a wink or laugh or lol, etc.

Just walk away from this one.. Duh; can't defend a position that Literally All raids involve Pets being shot For Fun.

Have you lost your faith in humanity en whole?

Tomahawk

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Come on Tomahawk do your homework. Check my threads; I talk plenty of trash about government employees. I've been screwed over by my fair share of law enforcement officers. insert your foot in your mouth bud; I'm not fan of the fuzz.

At the same time you have a slanted view of the entire force as a whole. You are defending your original blanket statement that all pets are shot for fun.

All pets are not shot for fun. Literally. If you want me to take your statements any other way outside of Literally; you'll have to add a wink or laugh or lol, etc.

Just walk away from this one.. Duh; can't defend a position that Literally All raids involve Pets being shot For Fun.

Have you lost your faith in humanity en whole?
Okay, you're right, it's not just for fun. It's also to make a point to the dogs' owners. To let them know who's in charge.

And no, I have faith in plenty of humans. Just not the ones who wake up one morning and decide that it would be a good idea to dress up in a government costume and enforce arbitrary laws, many of which are stupid and unjust, upon my neighbors, by bashing in a door and escalating an otherwise calm situation into violence. Someone like me, who doesn't want to hurt anyone or bother anyone and just wants to be left alone, has trouble coming to grips with that.

If you're trying to change my mind, best of luck to you. If, on the other hand, you figure I'm a lost cause and you just want to get the last word in to show the other readers how reasonable you are compared to me, go ahead. I won't argue with you.