• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pet Peeves

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
People that re-open threads that the mods have closed so they can continue to insult or argue with other posters

SFCRetired

People who slow down a half mile before they get to the off-ramp.

Loud cell phone talkers in restaurants.

Showing my ID to buy booze when I'm over 40.

Telemarketers.

People who are constantly late.

Newspeople who refer to an individual soldier as "troop".

Poor grammar, incorrect punctuation and misspelled words.

Last young lady that asked for my ID to buy booze almost got kissed because I was so tickled! Wait until you're my age; you'll consider it a compliment.:D

the_hustleman

Stores with signs that say ten items or less.

Someone should call am english teacher on them!

"when a life or death situation arises, you can't depend on 911, instead, put your trust in 1911"

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

bom1911

People who creep up slowly on your right and try to pass you while lingering in your blind spot.

I was just in this position today. I was driving in the right lane and slowly gained on someone who owned the left lane. As I got to their blind spot, a combination of things caused our speeds to be identical. As I was driving with my cruise control on, I wasn't about to modify my speed, so we stayed like this for several minutes. As this left lane owner decided to mash the gas to the floor to get out ahead of me for a last minute dash to the exit that was approaching, I thought those that are prone to be crept up on slowly should drive in the right lane.

stainless1911

Banned
Unless both cars are at a minimum of 10 over, I hate when they run side by side for more than a quarter mile or so.

Funny how so many pet peeves are about driving.

The other day, I ran into a pet peeve driver, a minivan in the center lane just lingering. (do minivans have mirrors and/or gas pedals?) Anyways, I was in the far right lane waiting to get buy him, the right lane was moving faster, I was waiting for my time to overtake him. So was a Kawasaki Ninja in the far left lane. Turns out, the Ninja and I went for the center lane at the same time, I was there just slightly ahead of him, and the bike almost ran into my left rear quarter panel. The accident would have been the fault of the minivan driver, not the bike, or myself. This is exactly WHY I have this pet peeve.

Semi drivers who are in the center or left lanes at any time except to pass another rig. For the same reasons.

Last edited:

Deadcenter45

*SNIP*

Semi drivers who are in the center or left lanes at any time except to pass another rig. For the same reasons.

Speaking as a CDL holder, the center lane often is the best choice while going thru a city. The lane is for passing of course, and the right for people entering and exiting the roadway.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
One of my most aggrevating issues is the guy who sits there when they have a green arrow for a left turn but don't move. What do they think that green arrow means anyhow? Beware of Commanches?

I get really irritated with hotels or motels that don't provide a computer with internet access for their guests. Come on already... it is the 21st Century.

Bosses who fail to understand how the average employee will respond better to an occassional compliment like "Good work on that job" or "Way to go on handling that situation." These types are only good for bellyaching and complaining but never have a positive word for the working guy or gal.

The good Reverend Phelps and his batch of loony tune cultists. All of them in desperate need of a good relaxing enema!

A passenger who releases a gas attack in the car you're driving. You know the type. They launch a deadly blast of foul air and you nearly wreck the car because your eyes are watering so badly!

Having to learn a second language to order a hamburger!

Drive thru ATM machines with braille keypads. Say what???

Having to go downtown, and there isn't a parking space closer than Europe!

People who call at 3:00am and you answer to discover they've misdialed.

People who go door to door to peddle their religious perspective; usually on a Saturday morning after my sleep has been disturbed by a wrong number call at 3:00am!

Door to door solicitors. Often for the same reason as the folks in the previous entry.

Paying better than $3.50 for gas. Never thought I'd see the day it would cost me 50 bucks to fill a Subaru!

People who drive around the neighborhood with their music playing loudly enough to be heard in the next county! Another class of people to forcibly subject to an enema.

Bindweed. I hate bindweed!

These are just a few of my favorite things!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

jeeper1

Speaking as a CDL holder, the center lane often is the best choice while going thru a city. The lane is for passing of course, and the right for people entering and exiting the roadway.
As a retired OTR driver, I agree.
When you are in the right lane the IDIOTS entering the freeway tend to try to pass you on the shoulder.
Most traffic accidents are caused by a lack of patience on the part of drivers.

Metalhead47

As a retired OTR driver, I agree.
When you are in the right lane the IDIOTS entering the freeway tend to try to pass you on the shoulder.
Most traffic accidents are caused by a lack of patience on the part of drivers.

I third the motion. Out here, commercial vehicles are generally prohibited in the far left lane. The right lane is generally moving slower, and is filled with people entering & exiting the freeway. In that case, the center lane is safest. Two-lane interstate is another matter, but then EVERYONE's supposed to keep right 'cept to pass.

Metalhead47

Metalhead. Slower isnt safer, makes you laxed. On the highway, it makes you tired, and pisses people off. Nothing safer than a bunch of tired ornery drivers all bunched up close together eh? People do not slow down to gain following distance when the person ahead of them is slacking. Never have, never will.

Sorry man, can't pas this up, this one I've just gotta hear.

Please explain your logic here. How exactly does "slower" (and that's a big generality there) make you "laxed" (RElaxed?) and tired? I've got the laws of physics to back up my statement, but I wanna hear yours first ;)

And just what "people" are you referring to? My automatic response to any unusual driving event is to slow down & increase my following distance. Learned that after the first (and only) time I rear-ended someone. And I know plenty of people who do likewise.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
It's %*##*$% green!!! Gooo

I swear, people in Florida BRAKE at GREEN LIGHTS. No one in front of them, as they approach a green light, THEY BRAKE. You guys don't understand. It drives me absolutely nuts. I'm going to install a dash cam one of these days. I've never seen this before getting stationed here. Why in the name of all that is good are you braking at a green light!!! NO ONE IS INFRONT OF YOU EFFING GOOOOO.

Another one: Why does my wife turn on every damn light in the house. You do not need the bedroom light on if you're in living room. You do not need the hallway light on if you're in kitchen. You do not need this on this on that on this on that on.

Metalhead47

I swear, people in Florida BRAKE at GREEN LIGHTS. No one in front of them, as they approach a green light, THEY BRAKE. You guys don't understand. It drives me absolutely nuts. I'm going to install a dash cam one of these days. I've never seen this before getting stationed here. Why in the name of all that is good are you braking at a green light!!! NO ONE IS INFRONT OF YOU EFFING GOOOOO.

It's not just FL. I see the same thing out here on Whidbey island. Apparently they heard that it's prudent to let off the gas and slow down SLIGHTLY when approaching an intersection, and decided that really meant SLAMONTHEBRAKESYOUGONNADIEEEEE

:banghead:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contrarian

Last young lady that asked for my ID to buy booze almost got kissed because I was so tickled! Wait until you're my age; you'll consider it a compliment.:D

I worked at 7-11 a century or so ago...these two ladies (30 - 40+) would come in and get a six-pack twice a week.
I ALWAYS asked them for ID...and then mentioned that they 'might' need chips or other crunchies to compliment their beverage purchase.

Worked every time. :)

VW_Factor

A lot of drivers in Oregon have seemed to forgotten what in the **** a YIELD sign means. And will get all pissy and rage ragey at you for almost "hitting them" when they themselves are to blame for not yielding.

I am fully insured, and I will NOT move because you fail at driving.

stainless1911

Banned
Having the cops come out 2 or 3 times a week at 2am for a neighbor who insists on playing the radio or video games. If I can hear boom boom buzzz an 2;30am over my tv, its too loud.

If laws of physics were incorporated in traffic laws, pedestrians would not have the right of way.

I tried to show examples of why slow drivers should stay in the right, and my point was backed up by the statement that many accidents are caused by people who were impatient. Like hanging out behind a rig for half an hour cause it was in the center lane causing a traffic backup and people passing , tailgating, and going around on the right.

Michigan used to have a 55 mph speed limit, one reason that it was eliminated was because people were falling asleep driving.

I would like to take any vehicle with more than 2 axles, or powered by diesel off the road during daylight hours. It would clear the roads, lessen rush hour backups, increase average economy reducing pollution, lessen accidents and fatalities, and instantly create a couple million night stock jobs.

Last edited: