• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pet Peeves

Metalhead47

If laws of physics were incorporated in traffic laws, pedestrians would not have the right of way.

I tried to show examples of why slow drivers should stay in the right, and my point was backed up by the statement that many accidents are caused by people who were impatient. Like hanging out behind a rig for half an hour cause it was in the center lane causing a traffic backup and people passing , tailgating, and going around on the right.

Michigan used to have a 55 mph speed limit, one reason that it was eliminated was because people were falling asleep driving.

I would like to take any vehicle with more than 2 axles, or powered by diesel off the road during daylight hours. It would clear the roads, lessen rush hour backups, increase average economy reducing pollution, lessen accidents and fatalities, and instantly create a couple million night stock jobs.

Hold up there bro, you didn't say anything about slow traffic keeping right, you made a (perhaps unintentionally) broad statement inferring that driving slow is not safer. Would you care to clarify your remark now? ;) If you were trying to say that slower traffic should keep right, yes this is correct and is the law in most places as well. If many accidents are caused by impatient people, they are the responsibility of the impatient people themselves, not the source of their impatience. If someone taunts you into shooting them, without actually being a threat, you're the one who's responsible.

Have a cite on the reason for that Michigan law change? I'd still like to see a single source that correlates driving slow driving and fatigue, or even boredom.

And banning commercial vehicles during the say?? Seriously?? You have any idea what that would do to the national economy arresting the free flow of goods like that? Any idea how many factories depend on zero-inventory "just in time" parts delivery? How bout construction and all those materials that need delivery during the day for daytime construction? I know you're probably just being tongue-in-cheek there, but c'mon man. You're just leaving too many opportunities to poke fun here :p

HolyOrangeJuice

Not being able to initiate a traffic stop on people who can't drive because i am not a police officer yet!

Listening to 8 year old kids on video games swearing and yelling up a storm directed at you.

Bubblegum because i'm started to get tired of being out of it making my only other option to kick @$$.

Outdoorsman

Oh, I almost forgot...

People who can't seem to park between the lines.

People who stop their shopping carts in the middle of the entrance/exit to look for something and block everyone else.

People who have more than 2 separate orders in the drive-thru.

People who can't maintain speed because they're too busy talking on the phone.

I guess that's enough for this post.

HolyOrangeJuice

People who have more than 2 separate orders in the drive-thru.

I worked at a taco bell as my first job ever and i could not stand people who absolutely had to make 2 seperate orders in a drive thru!!! All i could think is pull some money out of your cheap @$$ wallet and buy your buddy that 99 cent taco and have him do the same for you another day!

/end rant:p

carry for myself

people who respond to a crying child with "SHUT UP OR YOUR GONNA GET IT!"

bosses who think they are doing you a favor by having you as an employee

lazy co workers who's work is so shotty you have to re-do everything they touch

thug-wanna be white guys using the N word every three seconds

"BLING"

rap music

when a cop says "you will respect this badge"

people in fancy cars who think they own the road

landlords who wont fix broken things

12 year olds on Call of duty 4 swearing at you because you died at the wrong point in time?

people who are younger than you that refer to you as "this kid"

old people who use the phrase "back in my day"

young people who use the phrase "epic" or "so yesterday"

trying to order chinese

just a few more ;-)

LibertyDeath

People that are so stupid that they think they are smart. Then they tell people things like "get a clue" even when they are wrong and actually need to "get a clue" themselves, etc.

Dreamer

People that re-open threads that the mods have closed so they can continue to insult or argue with other posters

Mods who close threads or delete posts because someone posted something that makes one of their "pet organizations" look bad....

stainless1911

Banned
Hold up there bro, you didn't say anything about slow traffic keeping right, you made a (perhaps unintentionally) broad statement inferring that driving slow is not safer. Would you care to clarify your remark now? ;) If you were trying to say that slower traffic should keep right, yes this is correct and is the law in most places as well. If many accidents are caused by impatient people, they are the responsibility of the impatient people themselves, not the source of their impatience. If someone taunts you into shooting them, without actually being a threat, you're the one who's responsible.

Have a cite on the reason for that Michigan law change? I'd still like to see a single source that correlates driving slow driving and fatigue, or even boredom.

And banning commercial vehicles during the say?? Seriously?? You have any idea what that would do to the national economy arresting the free flow of goods like that? Any idea how many factories depend on zero-inventory "just in time" parts delivery? How bout construction and all those materials that need delivery during the day for daytime construction? I know you're probably just being tongue-in-cheek there, but c'mon man. You're just leaving too many opportunities to poke fun here :p

Although slower traffic should keep right, but I did mean that slow is not necessarily safer.

True, the person who pulled the trigger is legally responsible. However, if the kid down the street gets bit one day, because he wont stop teasing the dog, then you shouldnt put all the blame on the dog.

A cite, no, what I do remember though, is people complaining about it, and how it made them tired especially on long trips. I am pretty sure that if there were a study on sleep induced traffic accidents by year, it would certainly show an increase during the 55 years. What is inaqrguable, is that drivers who are going faster tend to be more alert. If you are driving, drive. You might look to other countries whose highways arent speed linited, and see if there are people falling asleep at 140.

Hold on, I didnt say anything about arresting the free flow of goods, just ajusting the times a bit. Companies for hundreds of years kept a stock room, it wouldnt kill them to have what you need to do your job on hand. What I am talking about is a way to make the truckers job a lot easier, safer, and faster. Making traffic safer and smoother, and Im talking about a way to create a LOT of jobs overnight. Reducing pollution would certainly be a side effect. Im serious, and a little suprised that the truckers wouldnt be very supportive of this.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

People who want top notch quality carpentry work at a bargain price and then provide you with the $hittyist cheapest material to do it with.

Dreamer, I agree with your post too. I have a very sneaky suspicion on who was responsible for the you can't say anything bad about other gun rights rule.

stainless1911

Banned
If the borders were closed, I wouldnt have such an issue, but if theres a way to immigrate legally, then they should go through the channels. First of which, is to speak english. Otherwise, give me a job sitting at the wall with my Socom, and I'll do my part to uphold the security of our nations borders.

sudden valley gunner

If the borders were closed, I wouldnt have such an issue, but if theres a way to immigrate legally, then they should go through the channels. First of which, is to speak english. Otherwise, give me a job sitting at the wall with my Socom, and I'll do my part to uphold the security of our nations borders.

I used to feel the same but I don't want my right to free travel restricted and so would not wish it on others. And when you look closely the real underlying problems are created by our governments U.S. and Mexico. At one time each state was viewed as sovereign and yet we move across state lines all the time.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Having the cops come out 2 or 3 times a week at 2am for a neighbor who insists on playing the radio or video games. If I can hear boom boom buzzz an 2;30am over my tv, its too loud.

I can't agree with you more! Whether car stereo BOOM-BOOMS, neighbor entertainment system BOOM-BOOMS, aircraft failing to adhere to noise abeyance procedures (BZZ-BZZS), or yelling college-age drunks in the pool (WHA-WHAS), I've given serious thought as to how I might propose legislation that would allow me to deal with the noise direction, via just a bit more noise (BANG-BANG).

Haven't quite figured that one out, yet... :eek:

I tried to show examples of why slow drivers should stay in the right, and my point was backed up by the statement that many accidents are caused by people who were impatient. Like hanging out behind a rig for half an hour cause it was in the center lane causing a traffic backup and people passing , tailgating, and going around on the right.

Interestingly, Germans will absolutely stay in the right lane except to pass. As a result, the throughput on the autobahn remains 50% greater than that of any American highway, and the speed limit has absolutely nothing to do with it. The difference is made by eliminating jerks in the left lane creeping 1/2 mile an hour past 30 cars stuck in the right lane. I lived there 3-1/2 years, drove all over the place, and it just doesn't happen there.

I would like to take any vehicle with more than 2 axles, or powered by diesel off the road during daylight hours.

So, I wouldn't get to drive a diesel VW Golf?

I agree with you about trucking. The Interstates are fairly dead between 11 pm and 5 am.

Outdoorsman

And another thing, oh wait... where's my soapbox? Oh, there it is. Now what was I saying, oh yeah...

Politicians, police or anyone in power who thinks they are above the law.

People who run up on my bumper and honk at me because I stop at a blinking red light.

People who enter the freeway and think that you're supposed to merge/move/adjust for them.

Shoppers with more than 12 items in the "speedy" lane and then take the time to write out a check...they should be cash only.

eye95

The solution to the abuse of express checkouts. Stores should post the following sign:

Welcome to the Speedy Checkout.

There is a $1 per item surcharge.

The surcharge will be waived for purchases of ten items or fewer and payment in cash or by debit card.​

Oh, and moving over when safe to do so to allow others to enter the highway is common courtesy.