• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help, Place of employment posting signs...

MKEgal

Another thing that might possibly make an impression on him is to show him how many shootings have happened in places that are posted as "gun free".
Either give him links to news reports or print them out & hand them to him.

But I agree with calmly asking what changed recently that he's decided you being able to protect yourself is now a Bad Idea. I'm assuming you haven't done anything illegal, immoral, or unethical involving use of a pistol, either at work or elsewhere.

If I didn't want to keep my job, I'd send the merchandise back to the other company. "Ordered in error."

Dreamer

Now is the time for you to start looking for a new job. Get something else lined up--in a 2A-friendly company--and then when you hand in your resignation,let them know you are leaving because you felt the company was more interested in appearances than in providing a safe workplace for you.

Resto Guy

Now is the time for you to start looking for a new job. Get something else lined up--in a 2A-friendly company--and then when you hand in your resignation,let them know you are leaving because you felt the company was more interested in appearances than in providing a safe workplace for you.

And don't him drive to lunch anymore.

Maverick9110e

Another thing that might possibly make an impression on him is to show him how many shootings have happened in places that are posted as "gun free".
Either give him links to news reports or print them out & hand them to him.

But I agree with calmly asking what changed recently that he's decided you being able to protect yourself is now a Bad Idea. I'm assuming you haven't done anything illegal, immoral, or unethical involving use of a pistol, either at work or elsewhere.

If I didn't want to keep my job, I'd send the merchandise back to the other company. "Ordered in error."

Percisley. He's more a paranoid type person then anything. And i hear ya dreamer, lol.

WTFOVER

While some might find this a way to go I would really consider not doing it. This day and age your lucky you even have a job and your telling this guy he needs to find another job where they allow him to carry? Come on, I'm all for being able to protect yourself, etc but posts like this are just mind blowing.

sultan62

While some might find this a way to go I would really consider not doing it. This day and age your lucky you even have a job and your telling this guy he needs to find another job where they allow him to carry? Come on, I'm all for being able to protect yourself, etc but posts like this are just mind blowing.

He said to start looking and get something lined up first - not quit his job on the spot and hope for something to come along. What's wrong with or mind blowing about that?

WTFOVER

He said to start looking and get something lined up first - not quit his job on the spot and hope for something to come along. What's wrong with or mind blowing about that?

The mind blowing part is the rational behind finding another job just so he/she can carry a weapon while working. Its the same as boycotting a business, that business don't care if you boycott it. Life is a bout give and take, you give some and you take some. Just to up and tell somebody they need to look for another job so he can carry while working is really not a good idea in this day and age. And I would venture to say more and more businesses have policies against it anyways.

sultan62

The mind blowing part is the rational behind finding another job just so he/she can carry a weapon while working. Its the same as boycotting a business, that business don't care if you boycott it. Life is a bout give and take, you give some and you take some. Just to up and tell somebody they need to look for another job so he can carry while working is really not a good idea in this day and age. And I would venture to say more and more businesses have policies against it anyways.

You're right, he shouldn't consider finding another place of employment. According to your reasoning, it's not worth looking, because hey, what's the point? Just give your money to the Brady Campaign - after all, it's not like boycotting them matters. While we're at it, let's stop emailing and calling politicians, contributing to pro-2a organizations, and voting?

Troll.

WTFOVER

You're right, he shouldn't consider finding another place of employment. According to your reasoning, it's not worth looking, because hey, what's the point? Just give your money to the Brady Campaign - after all, it's not like boycotting them matters. While we're at it, let's stop emailing and calling politicians, contributing to pro-2a organizations, and voting?

Troll.

So by your reasoning then I shouldn't have left my last job where I carried every day I worked then correct? I mean I can't carry now at my job, so I should take the 3x more salary I'm making now and go back to a job where I can feel safe by carrying my weapon. I will get to work on my resignation letter right now and make sure I highlight I'm leaving my salary and benefits because I can't carry my weapon with me.

And as far as being a troll, I'm willing to bet I've had more firearms experience then most on this forum and been in situations where most on here would never dream about being.

sultan62

So by your reasoning then I shouldn't have left my last job where I carried every day I worked then correct? I mean I can't carry now at my job, so I should take the 3x more salary I'm making now and go back to a job where I can feel safe by carrying my weapon. I will get to work on my resignation letter right now and make sure I highlight I'm leaving my salary and benefits because I can't carry my weapon with me.

And as far as being a troll, I'm willing to bet I've had more firearms experience then most on this forum and been in situations where most on here would never dream about being.

Please point to where you drew the conclusion that I would suggest leaving your job, or that you shouldn't have left your old job. Everyone has to make decisions, and that is up to the individual.

My criticism was of your quickness to dismiss even considering looking for another job.

Would you similarly recommend not looking for a job that paid more, simply because of the economic challenges today? Or would you recommend staying in a job you hate without even looking for a job you would enjoy?

If you would, fine. I wouldn't. Everyone wants different things out of a job; it is up to the individual to decide what is important. However, your suggestion is not that he be thankful for his job, or that he should stay for now; I doubt that anyone would have disagreed with you. Your suggestion is that it is "mind blowing" that he would even consider looking elsewhere.

Finally, shooting experience doesn't disqualify you from being a troll. A vague brag about shooting experience doesn't mean you actually have shooting experience. And this thread has nothing to do with actually shooting anyways.

Hopefully I'm wrong about you being a troll. But you seem to intentionally take an antagonistic stance with a very low post count, and we've had a lot of trolls lately.

Last edited:

jerz_subbie

I think you're twisting things around here, pal. No offense but you're reminding me of my gf, taking things the worst way possible.

chiefjason

Since he is probably clueless on OC, take in the qualifications for getting a CC and tell him that sounds like the kind of customer you would want. Law abiding, not crazy, no know drug or alcohol problems, versed in the carry laws of NC. What's not to like?

Or invest in a gun safe to lock it in.

I like the idea of finding another job. But I also like eating, having a roof over my head, and all the other necessities. YMMV

FWIW, I seriously do not think he can exert ANY control of the contents of a non employees vehicle. Even cities and counties cannot do that. The only exceptions I have found are some federal property and educational properties. And I understand you are an employee, but it sounds like he feels he can force customers to not have firearms in their vehicles. I'm not so sure about that.

sultan62

Since he is probably clueless on OC, take in the qualifications for getting a CC and tell him that sounds like the kind of customer you would want. Law abiding, not crazy, no know drug or alcohol problems, versed in the carry laws of NC. What's not to like?

I like the idea of finding another job. But I also like eating, having a roof over my head, and all the other necessities. YMMV

FWIW, I seriously do not think he can exert ANY control of the contents of a non employees vehicle. Even cities and counties cannot do that. The only exceptions I have found are some federal property and educational properties. And I understand you are an employee, but it sounds like he feels he can force customers to not have firearms in their vehicles. I'm not so sure about that.

I don't see why he couldn't make that rule, as it is private property; there are a couple of laws in the works that could change that though.

rotorhead

So by your reasoning blah blah blah...

Whoa, is it true? Could this be the return of the mall ninja right in our very own presence? :uhoh:

rotorhead

As of now, business owners can indeed declare their property to be gun free. A sign somewhere on the property basically saying "No guns allowed anywhere on premises" is not all that uncommon. The Parking Lot bill currently working it's way through the NC Congress is trying to change that.

RegalNC

Need Help

I concour with Dreamer. You need to decide if your desire to OC at your present place of employment is more important than your retaining your employment. If the owner decides to post ( his right to do so) you must comply or seek other employment (your right to do so), that simple! Once the owner posts then no OC or CC.

chiefjason

I don't see why he couldn't make that rule, as it is private property; there are a couple of laws in the works that could change that though.

As of now, business owners can indeed declare their property to be gun free. A sign somewhere on the property basically saying "No guns allowed anywhere on premises" is not all that uncommon. The Parking Lot bill currently working it's way through the NC Congress is trying to change that.

It would be a pretty loose interpretation of 2nd degree trespass. Not sure about that. I bet they use this statute to post, but this is pretty weak. Employees are generally prohibited through their employment contract. That contract does not apply to customers.

14‑159.13. Second degree trespass.
(a) Offense. – A person commits the offense of second degree trespass if, without authorization, he enters or remains on premises of another:
(1) After he has been notified not to enter or remain there by the owner, by a person in charge of the premises, by a lawful occupant, or by another authorized person; or
(2) That are posted, in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, with notice not to enter the premises.
(b) Classification. – Second degree trespass is a Class 3 misdemeanor. (1987, c. 700, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 102; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

Maverick9110e

Well heres what happened....

Had to go on the road today since someone was out. While i was gone they got the package and posted the sign. But here's the best part. They posted it only on the front door, not the entrance to the property. So i'm mostly going to keep my mouth shut because as much as i don't like being able to carry inside work, my main concern was at least having it in my vehicle.

That being said i did at least bring it up. But before i did the only lady in the office (quasi office manager) said, so curt what do you think of the sign, with a laugh like HAHA. I and looked right back at her with a straight face and said "Honestly, i'm disgusted and appalled and i don't appreciate anyone putting a giant TARGET sign on the front door that says please come rob/hurt us since we're all unarmed." And walked away. Later in the day the boss was in a good mood but said he's got to run so i grab him and ask him what the deal is with the sign and does he realize it's not going to do anything to deter criminals. He said he knows. Then i mentioned how its a target again with an explanation and he laughs his a$$ off at me saying" oh my god, i swear of course you(me) would be the one to think that and only you (me) would think that way" and runs out (had to pick up his daughter from school)

So, all in all i don't like how the sign is posted, its an insult to half to walk past everyday, but at least (i'm pretty sure anyway) It doesn't have any applicability by being on the front door vs entrance to the property so i can still in the eyes of the law, leave it in the vehicle and i made my point. I plan on leaving it at this and continuing on with my mouth shut.

Friggin Canadians.