• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help, Place of employment posting signs...

Saull Felipe

Hey guys, i could use some help. I work up in Youngsville for a fastener distributor. We only have about 8-10 people working here. My boss who knows i'm an avid shooter and an advocate for gun rights apparently has ordered a gun buster sign as well as a sign to post at the front of the property that says no firearms allowed on the property. Now seeing as how i work in the shipping area i intercepted this, and plan on taking it to him tommorow when he's in and discussing it with him. One of my questions is this:
Seeing as how we only pay for the building on a lease (its like a 5 year lease or something) and we don't actually own the property can he legally put the no firearms allowed on the property sign up? We don't even do any maintiance on the building, the "landlord: of the property does.
Now i plan on making my case to him about how he just put a please come shoot/rob us sign on the door and how its not doing anyone any good, and not to mention is basically singinlging me out as he know no one else here shoots or is into guns. So i'll be putting that together tonight but could use some help reccomendations, and some help with the property dilema. I do plan on going to HR with it even though im sure nothing will be accomplished.

Thanks!

Don't matter if they own it or not, it is there legal place of business and he is the owner/manager.

EXAMPLE.......
If you walk into Taco Bell and they tell you they don't want a gun in there, You
(by law) have to remove the gun. Note: the person telling you to remove the gun from Taco Bell is probly the manager/employee, Not the actual owner of the land.

Solution:::::

Option # 1.....
If your going to carry it in the place you work, Don't tell any one you are packing and make good sure it is not going to be seen (conceal carry)

Option # 2.....
Follow the rules of the work place to keep you job and DONT CARRY it in the work place

Option # 3.....
Find another job that is gun friendly

Just my opion

PS. I'm looking for another Glock. preferably a 17 or 19 either gen 3 or 4

thanks

2011-03-16_18-59-24_726.jpg

Saull Felipe

tell him he's a punk ass and you won't work for such a little nancy who would subject his employees to such violations of their rights, nor who would endanger them in such a way. Ask him if his wife has lesbian tendencies for wanting to be with such a little girl like him.

Then, take a minute and pretend to collect yourself, and start over with a slight apology and tell him you'd like to discuss this matter further with him.

Doing it this way will get things out of your system and give you a clear head to move forward with :)

bad idea.........

rotorhead

I see where I messed up. I forgot to put up the disclaimer that explained it was a joke. :cry:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I always CC anyway under such circumstances. Nobody paints a target on me. Especially not the jerk who's working me into the ground for peanuts while he gets fat off of my labors.

tak2w

+1 this is where CCing and entering through non-posted entrances is best.

Is this really a loophole in the law? Where I work, the main door where visitors (and some staff) enter is posted. However, the two doors where most of the staff enter are not posted.

elixin77

Is this really a loophole in the law? Where I work, the main door where visitors (and some staff) enter is posted. However, the two doors where most of the staff enter are not posted.

You can get away with it by entering through another door thats not posted, because even though you know that the location is posted, you can say that the entrance you went through wasn't, ergo, you can't be charged with trespassing (at least immediately)

RegalNC

You can get away with it by entering through another door thats not posted, because even though you know that the location is posted, you can say that the entrance you went through wasn't, ergo, you can't be charged with trespassing (at least immediately)

Why in the world would a reasonable person CC at a location that they know has a No Weapons signage posted!! Great way to get terminated from a job and get locked up. JMHO!!

elixin77

Why in the world would a reasonable person CC at a location that they know has a No Weapons signage posted!! Great way to get terminated from a job and get locked up. JMHO!!

Because they didn't see the sign at the door that they entered.

In order for the "No Weapons' prohibition to be fully in effect, ALL entrances must be posted. Someone who has never been to this place, who goes through an entrance that is unposted, would be led to believe that weapons are allowed. Doesn't matter if you personally know or not.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

Because my life is worth more than my job.

Locked up? Are you a Cop? You sound like one... Am I interfering with your investigation by remaining silent? Am I resist by not answering your questions? Are you going to arrest me now?

Why am I being detained on this forum?

Last edited:

billv

Well heres what happened....

Had to go on the road today since someone was out. While i was gone they got the package and posted the sign. But here's the best part. They posted it only on the front door, not the entrance to the property. So i'm mostly going to keep my mouth shut because as much as i don't like being able to carry inside work, my main concern was at least having it in my vehicle.

To me it sounds like the sign is for Customers, not necessarily employees. If he didn't want carrying by employees, I'd think he send a memo to all or gather everyone and tell them the new policy so there is no misunderstanding. That would be an important change in policy. At least that's what I'd do.

RegalNC

Because my life is worth more than my job.

Locked up? Are you a Cop? You sound like one... Am I interfering with your investigation by remaining silent? Am I resist by not answering your questions? Are you going to arrest me now?

Why am I being detained on this forum?

No I am not a LEO. I consider myself a reasonable person that would never knowing jeopardize my freedom or employment, solely because I chose to CC at a location that I am aware of their weapons restrictions. If any reasonable person wants to test my assumption, go right ahead. Please take the time to post your results.

sultan62

No I am not a LEO. I consider myself a reasonable person that would never knowing jeopardize my freedom or employment, solely because I chose to CC at a location that I am aware of their weapons restrictions. If any reasonable person wants to test my assumption, go right ahead. Please take the time to post your results.

You may not be willing to jeopardize your freedom or employment, but what about your life?

Not all situations are equal; the risk of needing the gun vs. the risk of getting caught with the gun, and further, the risk of what would actually happen if you were caught play into each decision when you carry. Him carrying here, if caught, would result only in a charge of second degree trespass, a class 3 misdemeanor. He could very possibly still beat even that in court.

aosailor

My place of employment just sent out a memo that no employees are allowed to carry weapons while at work... so my question is:

should I carry my Ruger LCP or my S&W Bodyguard?

[this is only meant as a joke, saw this in a pro-CC magazine awhile back.]

MKEgal

WTFOVER said:
The mind blowing part is the rational [sic] behind finding another job just so he/she can carry a weapon while working.
What I find amazing is that some people think it's reasonable to restrict someone's basic civil rights.

What business could get away with (or would even think of in the first place) telling their customers & employees they couldn't wear a cross on a necklace (or tie tack)?
How about reminders to vote, or chatting at lunch?

Yet too many people & businesses think it's perfectly OK to stop someone from protecting herself just because that person decides to patronize or work for their company. More, they don't provide any protection once their people are defenseless.

BTW, I don't carry a weapon, I carry a tool for self-defense. The difference is in its intended use: offensive or defensive. No matter where I go or who's around me, I won't harm anyone who doesn't try to harm me first. Criminals attack wherever, whenever, for any or no reason. For "fun".

As for the boss laughing about the thought of a shooter in his business, dig up those news stories, print them out & pass them on. Ft. Hood. Colleges. That brewery. Courthouses. The more you can find that are private companies where employees suffered because of the policy the better.

Last edited:

RegalNC

You may not be willing to jeopardize your freedom or employment, but what about your life?

Not all situations are equal; the risk of needing the gun vs. the risk of getting caught with the gun, and further, the risk of what would actually happen if you were caught play into each decision when you carry. Him carrying here, if caught, would result only in a charge of second degree trespass, a class 3 misdemeanor. He could very possibly still beat even that in court.

Yes, he could possibly beat the charge in court. Is he willing to take that gamble? You or I can't answer that! I believe he should think long and hard before he decides to CC on site after being advised of the restriction. JMHO!!!

sultan62

§ 14‑159.13. Second degree trespass. said:
(a) Offense. – A person commits the offense of second degree trespass if, without authorization, he enters or remains on premises of another:

(1) After he has been notified not to enter or remain there by the owner, by a person in charge of the premises, by a lawful occupant, or by another authorized person; or

(2) That are posted, in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, with notice not to enter the premises.

(b) Classification. – Second degree trespass is a Class 3 misdemeanor. (1987, c. 700, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 102; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

§ 14‑3. Punishment of misdemeanors said:
(a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c), every person who shall be convicted of any misdemeanor for which no specific classification and no specific punishment is prescribed by statute shall be punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor. Any misdemeanor that has a specific punishment, but is not assigned a classification by the General Assembly pursuant to law is classified as follows, based on the maximum punishment allowed by law for the offense as it existed on the effective date of Article 81B of Chapter 15A of the General Statutes:

(1) If that maximum punishment is more than six months imprisonment, it is a Class 1 misdemeanor;

(2) If that maximum punishment is more than 30 days but not more than six months imprisonment, it is a Class 2 misdemeanor; and

(3) If that maximum punishment is 30 days or less imprisonment or only a fine, it is a Class 3 misdemeanor.

While I certainly don't want to go to jail, I'd have to say 30 days maximum is worth keeping my life. You're free to make the decision for yourself.

Resto Guy

Because I'm not restricted at work, I don't have this problem. If I did, I would have to consider the following.
Keep it in my car, 50 feet from the door, or 30 nights of sleeping in a cell full of criminals. Where would I keep my handgun during those 30 days and nights? Probably at home.

RegalNC

While I certainly don't want to go to jail, I'd have to say 30 days maximum is worth keeping my life. You're free to make the decision for yourself.

Again, if anyone is willing to risk a 30 day unpaid vacation at the local jail and most likely the lost of your job, then by all means CC at a KNOWN posted place of employment where your employer has made his position clear on the issue! This is not a issue for me so carryon. Just seems like a "NO-BRAINER" to me. JMHO