• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You are invited to a Picnic on SEP 25th, 1010!

paul@paul-fisher.com

I believe this IS within the jurisdiction of the Sheriff and that he CAN grant such permission.

941.235(1)
The Village of West Baraboo does NOT HAVE a police force, so law enforcement is the responsibility of the Sauk County Sheriff (Says so right on the West Baraboo web site). The Sheriff CAN grant such permission, both the St. Croix and Eau Claire County Sheriffs have given such permission within the last year.

If this Sheriff doesn't think he can give permission, then he DOESN'T know the law.

I guess I should of defined my use of 'he'. The 'he' I was talking about was the city/town/village attorney.

Last edited:

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
[QUOTE=paul@paul-fisher.com;1350084]I guess I should of defined my use of 'he'. The 'he' I was talking about was the city/town/village attorney.[/QUOTE]
My apologies. From that perspective, yes he (the attorney) is correct he (the attorney) nor the village have the statutory authority. That rests with the Sheriff.

LOERetired

Sauk County Sheriff replyed

The Sauk County Sheriff replied with the following:

Don

I am unable to grant permission to violate a law or an ordinance. Sorry

Randy Stammen

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
The Sauk County Sheriff replied with the following:

Don

I am unable to grant permission to violate a law or an ordinance. Sorry

Randy Stammen

It's a true, but irrelevant statement from the sheriff. Nobody asked him to grant permission to violate a law, but rather to act within the law.

LOERetired

What was sent to the Sauk County Sheriff

Have you quoted him chapter and verse?

Dear Sheriff:

I contacted Chief Craig A. Olsen of the Baraboo Police Department, and in his reply he stated that Haskins Park is not within their enforcement jurisdiction as shown in the email below.

Pursuant to state statute 941.235 (1) it is unlawful to possess a firearm in a public (owned/leased by the government) building. Pursuant to state statute 942.235(2) "This section does not apply to peace officers or armed forces or military personnel who go armed in the line of duty or to any person duly authorized by the chief of police of any city, village or town, the chief of the capitol police, or the sheriff of any county to possess a firearm in any building under sub. (1)

As the Village of West Baraboo has no police force of its own, policing (law enforcement) and the Baraboo Police Department has no enforcement jurisdiction, matters fall to the County Sheriff and likewise so does the authority to grant permission to enter public (owned/leased by the government) buildings within the Village of West Baraboo.

As the statute is clear, I am once again contacting you for authorization under 941.235 for the attendees of the picnic on September 25, 2010 to enter/use the facilities at Haskins Park in the Village of West Baraboo.

This type of permission has been granted for these types of events in the past, in St. Croix County, Hudson, West Salem, Eau Claire County, and Stevens Point within the last year, all without issue.

I look forward to your reply and would like to thank you for your time and service.

Sincerely,

Don Marso

oliverclotheshoff

whats to say you went with a friend brother father or son of legal age to carry and you need to go to the bathroom is there any thing stating you cant unholster and have them hold your firearm in its holster while a person used the facilities?

paul@paul-fisher.com

whats to say you went with a friend brother father or son of legal age to carry and you need to go to the bathroom is there any thing stating you cant unholster and have them hold your firearm in its holster while a person used the facilities?

Short answer is no, however, what has normally been the practice at these type of events is that we don't want to be seen handing off guns to one another. So, what normally happens is a gun case is placed outside the bathrooms and when you need to 'go', you unholster, unload, encase, take the case with you, do what you need to, come back out, uncase, load and holster.

That adds a whole lot more gun handling than I normally like. but we gotta do what we gotta do.

The other possibility is to rent a port-a-potty. How much are they for a one day event?

oliverclotheshoff

i called the country plumber (888-339-7710)out of portage and they said they charge $89.68 per unit per day tht includes delivery and pickup along with waste disposal.
if you really wanted to know the answer
but the plan of having a case next to the bathroom is good to go.

LOERetired

Country plumber

i called the country plumber (888-339-7710)out of portage and they said they charge $89.68 per unit per day tht includes delivery and pickup along with waste disposal.

I'll call the parks department and ask permission to have one on site for the day, I'd pay the cost which is reasonable. If I get permission, before I order one, I'm going to wait until Hubert get a reply from his email he sent yesterday to the Sauk County Sheriff.

Don

LOERetired

No Permission

I called the parks department and spoke with Bob about allowing us to have country plumber bring out a unit for the day and they denied my request.

Maybe we could have a metal lock box available so when someone uses the restroom they could put there firearm in the lock box, lock it, take the key with them to the restroom, and then when finished unlock the metal lock box, re-holster their firearm.

Don

minuteman

Holy crap I just saw it on the news site.. They seem to be confused about the law. Maybe the sheriff is too.

http://www.wiscnews.com/news/local/article_0eea8962-bc87-11df-ab35-001cc4c03286.htm

"Is that what's really in mind for security, probably not, they're probably thinking of schools and courthouses" Steichen said. "But that's the way the law reads."

"There are no provisions in the law for the village board or other public official to make an exception to the law for picnic participants, he said."

minuteman

941.235(2)
(2) This section does not apply to peace officers or armed forces or military personnel who go armed in the line of duty or to any person duly authorized by the chief of police of any city, village or town, the chief of the capitol police, or the sheriff of any county to possess a firearm in any building under sub. (1).

BROKENSPROKET

Don, I will set-up a EZ-up by the bathrooms and secure everyone firearms while they are in the bathroom if someone would be kind enough to bring me a plate of food.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Big 10-4 there BROKENSPROKET. We will make sure you get fed, and we'll make sure you get some "relief" yourself.

Looking forward to seeing you guys on the 25th.

LOERetired

Gun Box

Don, I will set-up a EZ-up by the bathrooms and secure everyone firearms while they are in the bathroom if someone would be kind enough to bring me a plate of food.

I was at gander mountain in Baraboo today and purchased two metal handgun safes for the event. Looks like BROKENSPROKET will bring a EZ-up, and help monitor the gun safes, and I'll bring a table to set the two gun safes on, one for the mens bathroom and one for the womans bathroom.

They both are locked with different keys, so you can secure your firearms loaded in the safe, and take the key with you to the bathroom, this way no one can get to your firearm, and when your finished, unlock the safe holster your firearm, and your done.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Why don't you try to get authorization from some OTHER sheriff or chief of police who DOES understand the statute? Nothing in the statute requires authorization from the sheriff of that particular county. It says "any sheriff" "any chief of police" and "any building." It appears to me that the Sheriff of Vilas County could authorize one to carry a firearm not only in the West Baraboo park restrooms, but in the state capitol building as well.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Why don't you try to get authorization from some OTHER sheriff or chief of police who DOES understand the statute? Nothing in the statute requires authorization from the sheriff of that particular county. It says "any sheriff" "any chief of police" and "any building." It appears to me that the Sheriff of Vilas County could authorize one to carry a firearm not only in the West Baraboo park restrooms, but in the state capitol building as well.

Nice reading!! I went back and looked. Technically you are correct! Let's do it!