• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ALERT: WA Ceasefire to push O.C. ban in 2012 !!!!!

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Has any open carrier here or in any other state committed a crime or hurt anybody?

99% of the time the police arrive after the crime is committed. Seattle has a 6 minute response time for priority one calls.

Carrying a gun is kind of like wearing your seatbelt, you hope you never need it but its there in an emergency.

Has any open carrier had a crime committed around him or her, or been a victim of a crime, in this state or any other. If not, is Open Carry a crime deterent?

I noticed in California the antigunners showed up at open carry meets and protested, this is how they got the media involved and got their message out. If the antigunners try that up here, maybe we should PM each other with location and times of meets.

Please don't post any negative examples of OCers doing bad, I don't want to give Ceasefire any ammo, PM me with the info please.

IIRC there's an OC activist in Detroit (?) who is on trial because he shot two men who he said accosted him. His story, as printed in the press, sounds a bit fishy as the evidence doesn't line up very well with the story. The name Jesus Gonzales seems to ring a bell on this one.

That being said, I haven't researched this answer and am going on memory alone, so I may be wrong.

ETA: I checked and found that I had the right name, but the wrong city. This actually happened in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Last edited:

.45ACPaddy

"In attempting to discredit open carry, anti-gun activists often like to ask the question, "How do I know that the person openly carrying is in fact a law-abiding citizen and not a criminal?" While this is an attempt to imply that anyone who lawfully carries a firearm is a potential criminal, thankfully there is an authoritative answer available. The 2006 FBI study "Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation's Law Enforcement Officers" by Anthony Pinizzotto revealed that criminals carefully conceal their firearms, and they eschew the use of holsters. In layman's terms, this report tells us that, statistically speaking, citizens who are openly wearing a properly holstered handgun and are willing to subject themselves to the intense public and law enforcement scrutiny that open carry brings with it are not criminals."

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2010/04/15/why-open-carry-gun-laws-work

Violent Encounters, published by the U.S. Department of Justice
http://www.washingtonceasefire.net/documents/studies/fbi_violent_encounters.pdf

+1000

Get the facts out there, good and bad.

Last edited:

.45ACPaddy

IIRC there's an OC activist in Detroit (?) who is on trial because he shot two men who he said accosted him. His story, as printed in the press, sounds a bit fishy as the evidence doesn't line up very well with the story. The name Jesus Gonzales seems to ring a bell on this one.

That being said, I haven't researched this answer and am going on memory alone, so I may be wrong.

+1000

Get the actual facts out there, good and bad.

DEROS72

You mean this one....

251304_1377118844509_1728023493_656126_597015_n.jpg

Or pics like these.A bunch of us have been doing this for awhile.I will say we do have to be vigilant and keep a close eye on cease fire.I myself, and I know Nick and Bill have,spoken to many even at the gun show that are against open carry.It is my hope that they don't join forces in their own arrogance.We defeated the assualt weapons ban in Olympia when hundreds showed up to speak against it.Some of us open carried and when Fachitelli asked officers to disarm us they refused and said we were within our rights. (Dave wrote about it in his column.)I was standing next to him when he did that.The one group shot I included here is from that hearing.But by staying on top and showing up is the way to head it off.Now it may not gain traction but we need to be ready if if does.I get tired of hearing exuses when these things arise of why folks can't make it.Hell Orphan drives over from Spokane to make our events.
So where ever we go, and I know most do,we must cunduct ourselves in an exemplary fashion because when Fashitelli rolls this out folks will be watching us wheather we like it or not.NO SHOW OFFS.Stay away from OWS ,that would scream confrontation.I wouldn't think anyone hear would associate with that bunch anyway. I have open carried and organized events for about 4 years now and have never had an issue to speak of ,I would like to keep that option.IF we are complacent and say it can't happen ,well thats when they get us.I see alot of knew folks here so for you guys; you have this right because of Gray Peterson and some others that have been fighting for it long before you came along.

amzbrady

It seems like there is a push right now, maybe I'm am just noticing more articles coming out on gun control, and them running more shows right now on guns. I am watching "Bowling for Columbine" right now. I have a problem with about everything this show is saying. Everytime they show someone has been shot, I see it as bad parenting. I cant seem to see an logic within this show. They use highly impoverished area's and beat up welfare as part of the problem. A woman on welfare has to go to work instead of being on welfare, and her 6 year old son takes her unlocked gun to school and shoots a little girl. They say if she didnt have to ride a bus an hour this wouldnt have happened. I think if she moved closer to her job, and locked her gun up, this wouldnt have happened. I'm just glad the columbine bullets were from K-mart, we dont have one near us. I would be bummed if they were Wal-mart bullets.

Last edited:

44Brent

Tax-increase fight likely to dominate session

Washington state lawmakers on Monday will start looking at ways to hack $2 billion out of the state's $32.2 billion budget, but tax talk is likely to dominate much of the 30-day special session.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2016866754_specialsession27m.html

Whenever the legislature in session they always try to do two things: 1) raise taxes; 2) strip gun rights.

They have no creativity whatsoever, it's always these two things.

jsanchez

Ceasethinking claims that open carry isn't licensed in Washington...

but don't most or all open carriers have conceal carry permits. So whats their point? If we are all licensed, and background checked already, and none of us have committed any crimes while open carrying, then aren't they really picking a fight with the 350,000 conceal carry people?

Jayd1981

but don't most or all open carriers have conceal carry permits. So whats their point? If we are all licensed, and background checked already, and none of us have committed any crimes while open carrying, then aren't they really picking a fight with the 350,000 conceal carry people?

Most - possibly, All - incorrect. And they are right open carry isn't licensed, nor should it be.

jsanchez

Ceasethinking says....

"Washington CeaseFire believes there are several laws that should be passed to reduce gun violence in Washington State. Those states that have the most restrictive gun legislation have just one-sixth the level of gun violence versus those states with the least restrictive laws." per their website.

Lets compare FBI Uniform Crime Report 2010:

Seattle population 620,195, murders 19, rapes 96.

Oakland CA, population 409,723, murders 90, rapes 318. Every gun law in the world.

Really Ceasethinking, really!

jsanchez

What I would say to the our state represenatives on this topic.

Putting my shirt over my open carry. Look Ceasefire says this is a good gun. Uncovering my gun. Ceasefire says this is a bad gun. Covering and uncovering my gun,saying good gun, bad gun, good gun, bad gun. Really Ceasefire! Really represenatives! The reason Ceasefire dosen't want to see our guns is because it destroyes their myths!

jsanchez

Educating our fellow Washington State gun owner, to be on our side.

What if we had a flier with good persuasive arguments of why supporting keeping open carry legal in Washington state and how it protects everyone else's gun rights in the state. Then distribute the fliers at gun competitions, stores, and ranges. Informing them of what Ceasethinking is up to, taking away all gun rights a little at a time.

Metalhead47

Putting my shirt over my open carry. Look Ceasefire says this is a good gun. Uncovering my gun. Ceasefire says this is a bad gun. Covering and uncovering my gun,saying good gun, bad gun, good gun, bad gun. Really Ceasefire! Really represenatives! The reason Ceasefire dosen't want to see our guns is because it destroyes their myths!

Correction. Ceasethinking says the concealed gun is a bad gun too. IT's just a less bad gun. The only good guns are in the hands of the police after all, since they're so highly trained and we all know they've NEVER misused them.

Metalhead47

San Jose cop murders wife and commits suicide

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_19425260

That is clearly mistaken. The officer obviously believed both he and his wife were a threat to officer safety so he opened fire in self defense... but... but... -----ERROR----ERROR----DOES NOT COMPUTE----DIVIDE BY ZERO----ERROR---
---ERROR---
---ERROR---
---ERROR---
---ERROR---
---ERROR---
---ERROR---
---ERROR---
---ERROR---
---ERROR---
---ERROR---
---ERROR---
---ERROR---
---ERROR---
---ERROR---
---ERROR---
---ERROR---
---ERROR---
---ERROR---
---CRITICAL ERROR----
[A]bort, [R]etry, [F]ail?

briehl12

So let me get this straight... Our state budget is almost non existant, our unemployment is through the roof.... and to top it off they bring this to the table??? Seriously?? Do we not have better things to worry about? I have been an OC/CCier for over 6yrs, please lets move onto something constructive like getting our budget fixed. :banghead:

Phillip Denton

2a = 2nd amendment... i found a usefull site, opencongress.org, i been contacting our representatives on the federal level with it. its a great tool.