• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

GreatDaneMan

There's a sign on the door at the Aragona location which clearly states loaded guns are not permitted in the store.

Did you unload first? I stopped going in there when I saw that asinine sign AND they enforced it on me.

Yeah. I figure I do not mind, most of the guys there know who i am, and i am in good hands even if I am unloaded. My mags half a second away anyway.
I had my PT-99 checked out that I just bought from them. So had to go unloaded for that. I have gone in loaded a few times in superior and I did not have any problems. Other people carrying always have the mag in but not sure about loaded and/or one in the pipe. Never heard anyone mention it, other than the sign.

I tend to agree with unloading in the car before entry. I know its been discussed, but if it was my shop, id rather play it safe than some idiot hand me or flag me with a hot weapon. Chances are low but it happens. Its like I keep hearing about bad etiquette at gun shows.

Edit- Reminds me, i gotta do some research for one of the guys there. Thanks LOL.

Last edited:

pyite

That's very odd they would do that at the Hampton Superior Pawn, if it's the one on Mercury. I go there quite a bit, holstered and loaded. The guy at the counter usually just asks what I'm shooting that day and I turn to show him. Pretty sure the sign inside the store said holstered or cased. As for the area, meh. I'm carrying and the range has good ventilation. One place I will never go to again, however, is The Marksman. They've yelled at 2 of my co-workers for picking up their own brass, saying "As soon as it hits the ground, it's ours. Pays for the range." Where the hell did the $13 I just gave you to shoot my gun for an hour go?!?

Carried at Walmart, Worlds Best Comics, Casey Honda.

2 traffic stops btw. One in Newport News, the other in Hampton. Neither asked about guns, neither asked for insurance either....

It has been a few years since I have gone there (like 6 or 7 years). Perhaps their policy has changed. I dont live in Hampton anymore.

45acpForMe

Yeah. I figure I do not mind, most of the guys there know who i am, and i am in good hands even if I am unloaded. My mags half a second away anyway.
I had my PT-99 checked out that I just bought from them. So had to go unloaded for that. I have gone in loaded a few times in superior and I did not have any problems. Other people carrying always have the mag in but not sure about loaded and/or one in the pipe. Never heard anyone mention it, other than the sign.

I tend to agree with unloading in the car before entry. I know its been discussed, but if it was my shop, id rather play it safe than some idiot hand me or flag me with a hot weapon. Chances are low but it happens. Its like I keep hearing about bad etiquette at gun shows.

Any time you handle a firearm there is added potential for an AD/ND. The less you handle it the safer everyone is. That is why I hated the unloaded secured gun law for school property before the law change last year.

Unloading in your car is an accident waiting to happen. If you keep your handgun properly holstered there is no danger of any AD/ND.

If you are going to be trying on holsters or bringing a gun in for maintenance, yes it should be unloaded but that is not a gun you would depend on for self defense. Another holstered loaded gun should be on your person.

There was just a AD/ND at LGC a few months back where someone tried to unload in their car before coming into the range. Yes I understand that there are stupid people out there but keeping a handgun properly holstered should never be an issue.

I choose to not give them my future business because of their rule.

Openlyaware

Carried to Wal-Mart, CVS Pharmacy, Bob's gun shop, VA Beach Superior Gun and Pawn, D & R Arms, and one 7 11. never been to that 7 11 carrying, cashier was eyeing my gun A LOT, no problems though. bought an AK-47 today, so excited :banana:.

ocholsteroc

Carried to Wal-Mart, CVS Pharmacy, Bob's gun shop, VA Beach Superior Gun and Pawn, D & R Arms, and one 7 11. never been to that 7 11 carrying, cashier was eyeing my gun A LOT, no problems though. bought an AK-47 today, so excited :banana:.

Don't mind me asking, how much? I seen them at the shows $450, last year I saw one for $380!:banghead:

Openlyaware

Don't mind me asking, how much? I seen them at the shows $450, last year I saw one for $380!:banghead:

I got an Arsenal, from what i know and hear it's one of the best you can get, russian made, usa assembled. $899, they had some romanians for 560 about and polish for 700-800.

I wouldn't buy anyhing for under 500 unless it was arsenal, the polish ones they had were very nice tho.

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

I got an Arsenal, from what i know and hear it's one of the best you can get, russian made, usa assembled. $899, they had some romanians for 560 about and polish for 700-800.

I wouldn't buy anyhing for under 500 unless it was arsenal, the polish ones they had were very nice tho.

'Oh an Arsenal, those are good.

OC'ed today to the bank(chartway) and walmart.

rdbro83

uggh

That's very odd they would do that at the Hampton Superior Pawn, if it's the one on Mercury. I go there quite a bit, holstered and loaded. The guy at the counter usually just asks what I'm shooting that day and I turn to show him. Pretty sure the sign inside the store said holstered or cased. As for the area, meh. I'm carrying and the range has good ventilation. One place I will never go to again, however, is The Marksman. They've yelled at 2 of my co-workers for picking up their own brass, saying "As soon as it hits the ground, it's ours. Pays for the range." Where the hell did the $13 I just gave you to shoot my gun for an hour go?!?

Carried at Walmart, Worlds Best Comics, Casey Honda.

2 traffic stops btw. One in Newport News, the other in Hampton. Neither asked about guns, neither asked for insurance either....

uuugh, dont get me started on the marksman, its gone downhill since the previous management of owners left out

45acpForMe

OC-ed to Atlantic Coast Tumbling then to LGC and Automax. No issues.

I zero-ed my sight on the AK47 pistol after changing rails. It was fun to be hitting pieces of clay pigeons at 50yds. :) At one point the range officer came over and asked if I was enjoying myself. My only reply was, "Immensely"!

The Airframer

First OC

Hello all, i'm new to OC. Just had my first OC experience at the walmart on Princess Anne. I was a little nervous, as I could feel many eyes on me. Had to grab some cash from the ATM and the customer service folks gave me the eye but said nothing. I proceeded to grab my few groceries without incident. No problems, feels like another limb and I intend to carry everywhere I go. I've applied for a CHP last week but my P95 seems a bit bulky to conceal.

45acpForMe

Hello all, i'm new to OC. Just had my first OC experience at the walmart on Princess Anne. I was a little nervous, as I could feel many eyes on me. Had to grab some cash from the ATM and the customer service folks gave me the eye but said nothing. I proceeded to grab my few groceries without incident. No problems, feels like another limb and I intend to carry everywhere I go. I've applied for a CHP last week but my P95 seems a bit bulky to conceal.

Welcome! Don't worry most people don't even notice and the ones that do are mostly ok with OC. A few may give you issues but rarely do they cause much commotion. I have had people give me the stink eye from time to time.

Know the laws and your rights and before long OC-ing will seem normal and you will feel naked if you go out without your gun. :)

OC-ed to Food Lion and Arby's no problems. ETA: OC-ed to The County Grill for dinner, no issues.

Last edited:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Welcome!

What's the meaning behind your screen name?

The Airframer

Welcome!

What's the meaning behind your screen name?

Thanks for the insight 45acp. I appreciate the welcome also guys. And to answer your question about my screen name, I am an aviation structural mechanic (aka airframer/AM) in the USN. Been doing it for over 8 years now, made E6 in 7 years and hope to put on anchors eventually. We are the "grease monkeys/knuckle draggers:lol:" in the aviation world. I truly enjoy it and take pride in my profession.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for the insight 45acp. I appreciate the welcome also guys. And to answer your question about my screen name, I am an aviation structural mechanic (aka airframer/AM) in the USN. Been doing it for over 8 years now, made E6 in 7 years and hope to put on anchors eventually. We are the "grease monkeys/knuckle draggers:lol:" in the aviation world. I truly enjoy it and take pride in my profession.

+1 on the welcome and appreciate your service.

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
Well....

Northbound on 17 at Grafton rd.. A little bitty itty car Stopped with intense suddenness. My great big Dodge got into a skid on the wet pavement and I got him...(for the record I was 4-5 car length back...) I have pictures of they oily wet road.

But that's not why I'm posting this..

The York Co Rescue Boys Said nothing about my kimber...
The Deputies said nothing... (Except they love the Sheriff)

The State Cop didn't notice the first time we spoke...

the second time we spoke he saw it..(Mr Kimber) his eyes bulged out for a second.. as he was saying the following.

Officer: "Sir, I need you to back your truck up so I can look at the damage...AND YOU'RE ARMED!!!!"
Me: "Why yes Officer! aren't you?" (Lots of smiling on my part right now...)
Officer: "Hmmmm havn't seen that much..."
Me: "That's odd... there's many of us around here that always go armed...and open"
Officer: "Okay... go ahead and back your truck away from the bushes..."

That was the last he mentioned anything about my gun.

AS I signed the ticket (for following too close) he said that I should go to court.. he said "With your driving record, go to court and they will not put in on your record..."

he Seemed like an Excellent fellow.