• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

45acpForMe

<snip>
AS I signed the ticket (for following too close) he said that I should go to court.. he said "With your driving record, go to court and they will not put in on your record..."

he Seemed like an Excellent fellow.

Sorry about your misfortune but at least it was somewhat entertaining. :) I am a fellow York-County OC-er that travels that road sometimes several times a day going to GMS/GHS and other errands.

The ticket for following too close is one of my pet pieves. About 8 years ago on I-64, right after the Ft. Eustis exit/overpass traffic came to a complete stop. I was watching the merging traffic before I noticed and even after slamming on the brakes nudged the car in front of me. The minivan behind me slammed into my car and re-nudged me into the car in front. The car in front of me had no damage, we just kissed bumpers. My car had $600 damage in the rearend and the minivan had several thousand damage. The mini-van driver, had no valid drivers license, his kids weren't seat buckled in and he hit me hard. We both got tickets for following too close. At court we both got 6 months probation. Go figure. After hearing his sentence I was sure I would be let off the hook. I guess I am unlucky.

OC-ed to Chipotle for lunch.

The Airframer

Well....

Northbound on 17 at Grafton rd.. A little bitty itty car Stopped with intense suddenness. My great big Dodge got into a skid on the wet pavement and I got him...(for the record I was 4-5 car length back...) I have pictures of they oily wet road.

he Seemed like an Excellent fellow.

Its good no one got hurt!

sst0185

Carried to Wal-Mart, CVS Pharmacy, Bob's gun shop, VA Beach Superior Gun and Pawn, D & R Arms, and one 7 11. never been to that 7 11 carrying, cashier was eyeing my gun A LOT, no problems though. bought an AK-47 today, so excited :banana:.

I bought a Arsenal AK, I love it. Check out this if you haven't already:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=

Oc'd around Hilltop area.

starbuck

Don't do this, you could get a brandishing charge.

Welcome.

Charged? Sure, anything is possible. Convicted, no way. Not in a million years.
There has to be demonstrated intent in order to get brandishing. One has to be handling the firearm in a manner that "reasonably induces fear of being shot".
If anything the charge would fall under 18.2-56.1 (Reckless handling of firearms), and even then it would be a stretch to find a judge that would convict on it. I've charged a person with reckless handling before and had it thrown out, despite the fact that the person was walking down the sidewalk with an unholstered (and loaded) pistol in their hand.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The Gun Free School Zones Act states:
(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

Check out (ii), since no permit is required by the state to posses a firearm how can one be charged with possessing a firearm within 1000 ft of a school? I know that no one wants to foot the cost of legal counsel required of being the guinea pig on this issue, but I don't see how even a federal official could enforce this law in Virginia. I am sure that someone with more experience with the courts will be along shortly to correct me if I am wrong about this.

I also walk my dog past a school every night, open carrying, and I have never had an issue. I doubt I ever will have one either.

Federal law supersedes state law and the operative words are in bold above. No CHP = technical violation.

Have never seen this charged/prosecuted as a primary charge and IMHO likely would not survive constitutional challenge.

Retired USN

Welcome aboard shipmate!

Thanks for the insight 45acp. I appreciate the welcome also guys. And to answer your question about my screen name, I am an aviation structural mechanic (aka airframer/AM) in the USN. Been doing it for over 8 years now, made E6 in 7 years and hope to put on anchors eventually. We are the "grease monkeys/knuckle draggers:lol:" in the aviation world. I truly enjoy it and take pride in my profession.

I was the "grease monkey" 9 decks below. Retired Engineman here :)

starbuck

Federal law supersedes state law and the operative words are in bold above. No CHP = technical violation.

Yep, and the even worse part is that the language specifies "by the state in which the school zone is located". So if you're carrying on a reciprocal out of state license/permit, you're still technically afoul of the law.

The Airframer

I was the "grease monkey" 9 decks below. Retired Engineman here :)

Well thanks for your service! I don't think I could do it living in the pits! Although the flight deck is a very dangerous place, at least we live in the light!

Open carried yesterday at walmart on Lynnhaven and 7 11, no issues.

Just received NC lifetime hunting/inland&coastal fishing license for my youngest son in the mail yesterday:D Now to get the other 2.

OC'd today at Friendly's restaurant by Greenbrier mall, few looks but no words, sat with strong side in.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

OC-ed to Atlantic Coast Tumbling twice yesterday, then to Subway and Bay Haven Grill for dinner, Walmart this morning. No issues.

At Bay Haven we sat right near the entrance so anyone coming in most likely saw the USP on my hip and no one even commented on it. :)

My daughter keeps bugging me to take her shopping so we may be at PTC shortly. :-(

ETA: OC-ed to PTC, Delia's, Hollister, Aero, B&BW, Pink, then to Farm Fresh later. It was a nice day so the lack of jacket accentuated any OC.

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

OC'ed to Arbys with family (Grand Parents and Cousins.) while there 5 police cars outside and 6 or more cops inside, never said anything. Walmart across the street to get food. Took one of my Cousins with me for a toy, Found the last boxes of 100 round value packs 12G at this Walmart they are so hard to find now.

MagiK_SacK

So I have been OCing everywhere lately. No problems as of lately. I was asked what I was carrying once when picking up pizza but that's about it. It's just like you guys had said, 'one day it will just be routine like putting on a watch'. I really don't think about where I am going and whether or not I should expect an encounter of any kind. Not to say that I am not prepared for it, but I'm not nervous about it like I used to be.

Just recently had my Mom and Father in law up to visit. They couldn't seem to wrap their heads around the idea of OC. They kept arguing the safety factors, and the 'makes you a target' ideas. I explained the best I could but we all know how parents can be about something. I think my dad would understand best. He lives in FL and can't OC but he does CC everywhere he goes. I once asked him about the idea of OC and he had said given the ability to he would gladly. Thankfully both my Mom and Father in law, even as much as they discourage it, respect my view and don't think I'm crazy, lol! Although my Father in law baffles me. He sends me all sorts of protect your 2A rights e-mails, and yet he can't comprehend OC! :banghead: Just thought I would share the experience I had with my family.

45acpForMe

So I have been OCing everywhere lately. No problems as of lately. I was asked what I was carrying once when picking up pizza but that's about it. It's just like you guys had said, 'one day it will just be routine like putting on a watch'. I really don't think about where I am going and whether or not I should expect an encounter of any kind. Not to say that I am not prepared for it, but I'm not nervous about it like I used to be.

Just recently had my Mom and Father in law up to visit. They couldn't seem to wrap their heads around the idea of OC. They kept arguing the safety factors, and the 'makes you a target' ideas. I explained the best I could but we all know how parents can be about something. I think my dad would understand best. He lives in FL and can't OC but he does CC everywhere he goes. I once asked him about the idea of OC and he had said given the ability to he would gladly. Thankfully both my Mom and Father in law, even as much as they discourage it, respect my view and don't think I'm crazy, lol! Although my Father in law baffles me. He sends me all sorts of protect your 2A rights e-mails, and yet he can't comprehend OC! :banghead: Just thought I would share the experience I had with my family.

Matthew 13:57 And so they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his hometown and in his own house.”

Don't worry about it. My family has had more problems with me becoming a gun-nut than anyone else I know. My ex-mother-in-law still believes and will argue the point that no one should have guns even police. The problem with anti's is they create a fantasy world like that and then try to make you live in it no matter how logic reason or reality contradict them. So my thought is that you are experiencing the same thing many of us have. :)

ETA: OC-ed to Chipotle for lunch. :)

Last edited: