• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

hgreen

Figured I'd just put this in here, wasn't carrying today, but since I was spotted carrying over spring break was pulled out of class, "inquired" about me doing so and detained by the SRO/school security officer, until they could confirm that I could posses and carry the pistol that was locked up at home, for background info I am 18 and go to centreville high school where I am a senior

Always a joy to be harassed for a 100% legal activity... Stay strong!

Maybe they should start "inquiring" every student they see driving a car outside of school hours. Better make sure they have proper permits/licenses and were not in any violation of their terms.

Last edited:

jwinkeler

The SRO called my parents to inform them of the interaction and while doing so attempted to persuade my mother that I should not carry a firearm and therefore enforce his personal opinion not the law, what's the appropriate course of action for an official complaint to the FCPD

jwinkeler

Always a joy to be harassed for a 100% legal activity... Stay strong!

Maybe they should start "inquiring" every student they see driving a car outside of school hours. Better make sure they have proper permits/licenses and were not in any violation of their terms.

And thanks the school security was fine the SRO was a dick

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Figured I'd just put this in here, wasn't carrying today, but since I was spotted carrying over spring break was pulled out of class, "inquired" about me doing so and detained by the SRO/school security officer, until they could confirm that I could posses and carry the pistol that was locked up at home, for background info I am 18 and go to centreville high school where I am a senior

Would be a good thing to file a complaint. There was no RAS of having broken any laws. Doing an FOIA and having the history behind the detainment would be benefitial.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

It's none of their business. I wouldn't have acknowledged their presence or questions and would have continued on my way.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
It's none of their business. I wouldn't have acknowledged their presence or questions and would have continued on my way.

I agree, although his being a high student may have put him in a position where he wasn't able to do that. Public schools seem to interfere with students' rights as citizens regardless of their age.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The SRO called my parents to inform them of the interaction and while doing so attempted to persuade my mother that I should not carry a firearm and therefore enforce his personal opinion not the law, what's the appropriate course of action for an official complaint to the FCPD

Having passed your 18th birthday, the SRO violated your rights under a multitude of privacy rights laws http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html , and should be officially called for doing so.

While you may still be living under your parents' roof and they may still be interested in your academic activities, they are no longer privy to them basded merely on the fact that you are their child living in their house. The school should have offered you forms to sign allowing them to share with them any of your school records created after your 18th birthday. Failure to do so while releasing any academic record to them is a violation of law.

If we are going to be held to every jot and tittle of every law, then The Powers That Be had better make sure they are just as conforming and law-abiding. Unless, of course, you look upon them as a source of discretionary income.

stay safe.

SouthernBoy

I agree, although his being a high student may have put him in a position where he wasn't able to do that. Public schools seem to interfere with students' rights as citizens regardless of their age.

They can try all they wish but he says he was not on school grounds, not engaging in an organized school activity, and doing something legal. Neither the school nor the police have any cause or authority to do or say anything to him under these conditions. He owed no one an explanation or even the time of day.

jwinkeler

So there is no confusion, I was in my 7th period when they came to talk to me about it, but this took place in the community during break
Joe

jwinkeler

In Fairfax county public schools students have no rights, you cannot decline an interaction with school officials, you may be searches based on their suspicion, your vehicle if parked on school grounds may be searched at any time, your locker or bag may be searched as long as they have suspicion you are breaking their rules or committing a crime

SouthernBoy

In Fairfax county public schools students have no rights, you cannot decline an interaction with school officials, you may be searches based on their suspicion, your vehicle if parked on school grounds may be searched at any time, your locker or bag may be searched as long as they have suspicion you are breaking their rules or committing a crime

But what about activities in which you participate outside of school? Suppose you were seen at the Bull Run trap and skeet range enjoying clays? I can understand how school authorities can exercise certain powers when you are on school grounds or engaging in school-related activities, but not outside of the school arena. What you do outside of school is your business and as long as you are breaking no laws, it should stay that way.

Am I wrong with this??

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
But what about activities in which you participate outside of school? Suppose you were seen at the Bull Run trap and skeet range enjoying clays? I can understand how school authorities can exercise certain powers when you are on school grounds or engaging in school-related activities, but not outside of the school arena. What you do outside of school is your business and as long as you are breaking no laws, it should stay that way.

Am I wrong with this??

Had precisely that problem when my son was in middle school. The school learned that he was shooting regularly and wanted to know where he got a gun and how - he said, "Ask my dad, he's an instructor." That wasn't good enough for them - they called my at work and told me that matter involving my son needed to be discussed ASAP. Drove straight to the school, imagining all kinds of things -first question put to me was, "Under what authority to you allow your son to handle a gun?"

I was caught off guard by the question; therefore took my time formulating an answer: First it is none of your business - it does not occur during school hours. Second, he is my son and my responsibility, not yours. When he (the Principal) attempted to interject that a child's welfare and safety out of school was within his perview and demanded to know what my qualifications were. A little tersely told him I had more qualifications and put them to better use than he did his, that he should restrict himself to seeing that the 3 R's were properly taught, and that I would see to it that my son was raised in a legal, moral and responsible way - he does his homework and plenty of home directed assignments, plays football, baseball + fishes, hunts and shoots. I will not abrogate my authority or responsibility to you.

Went straight to talk to the Superintendent of Schools - had excellent meeting of minds. There is but no question that a message was delivered to the principal as he never again looked at me - he would turn his head away when I came into the school.

Now to be fair, that was over 20 years ago. In the present climate, Social Services might have been called, maybe I'd have to defend against child endangerment charges, and be fighting to get my guns back. That is the sad and ridiculous place we are with some "educators."

stickslinger

Had precisely that problem when my son was in middle school. The school learned that he was shooting regularly and wanted to know where he got a gun and how - he said, "Ask my dad, he's an instructor." That wasn't good enough for them - they called my at work and told me that matter involving my son needed to be discussed ASAP. Drove straight to the school, imagining all kinds of things -first question put to me was, "Under what authority to you allow your son to handle a gun?"

I was caught off guard by the question; therefore took my time formulating an answer: First it is none of your business - it does not occur during school hours. Second, he is my son and my responsibility, not yours. When he (the Principal) attempted to interject that a child's welfare and safety out of school was within his perview and demanded to know what my qualifications were. A little tersely told him I had more qualifications and put them to better use than he did his, that he should restrict himself to seeing that the 3 R's were properly taught, and that I would see to it that my son was raised in a legal, moral and responsible way - he does his homework and plenty of home directed assignments, plays football, baseball + fishes, hunts and shoots. I will not abrogate my authority or responsibility to you.

Went straight to talk to the Superintendent of Schools - had excellent meeting of minds. There is but no question that a message was delivered to the principal as he never again looked at me - he would turn his head away when I came into the school.

Now to be fair, that was over 20 years ago. In the present climate, Social Services might have been called, maybe I'd have to defend against child endangerment charges, and be fighting to get my guns back. That is the sad and ridiculous place we are with some "educators."

+1

Probably a south of Ashland issue. :)

Only kidding ....

SouthernBoy

May I say, sir, that their actions were worse than appalling and unconscionable. They were borderline criminal. I would have been more than livid.

Steeler-gal

You weren't carrying at the time and they pulled you out of class? I think a call to a lawyer is necesarry at this point. They had no reason or right to be pulling you out of class. Sorry that happened to you.

jwinkeler

You weren't carrying at the time and they pulled you out of class? I think a call to a lawyer is necesarry at this point. They had no reason or right to be pulling you out of class. Sorry that happened to you.

Thank you and no I was not and to answer a previous question I am not involved in any school activities

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Have heard worse before, you'll have to do better than that
tongue.png

Follow the quote links back (post #4658) to where you said to me:

"May I say, sir, that their actions were worse than appalling and unconscionable. They were borderline criminal. I would have been more than livid."

SouthernBoy

Follow the quote links back (post #4658) to where you said to me:

"May I say, sir, that their actions were worse than appalling and unconscionable. They were borderline criminal. I would have been more than livid."

Yes I saw that. Call me ignorant, but I missed the gist of your response,

"Have heard worse before, you'll have to do better than that"