• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes I saw that. Call me ignorant, but I missed the gist of your response,

"Have heard worse before, you'll have to do better than that"

In rereading, I think the fault is mine. You were apparently referring to the school/principal - I thought you were chiding me.

However in my own defense, I have been called worse before. :lol:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
In rereading, I think the fault is mine. You were apparently referring to the school/principal - I thought you were chiding me.

However in my own defense, I have been called worse before. :lol:

Oh no, it was the school principal about whom I was referring. His actions, in my opinion, were WAY off base.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Someone pass me a Halls or Ricola. I feel a cough coming on. :p

Had a couple glances OCing in public places today, nothing worth reporting in detail.

A few weeks ago, a supermarket checker was initially taken aback. Although this person has rung up my grocery order a number of times in the past, the gun was never noticed, until recently as we walked past each other in the parking lot. After the initial surprise, the checker asked a number of questions, clearly interested, not nervous. College student. No money.

Baked on Grease

Jwinkeler, go ahead and make a new thread about this incident (if you haven't already) so that we can follow it easier and more people can contribute to helping you. More people will see it when it has it's own thread too.

Some Halls for Citizen: OC'd at Ihop with my family. The cashier asked me what I carried, his response after telling him was "Niiiice." Was a good day.

Sent using tapatalk

Tess

Founder's Club Member
OC'd on the motorcycle to Potomac Yard today to see the shuttle flyby.

Had nice conversations with a couple of the others there (there were fewer than a dozen people where I was), including the woman with the Hillary sticker on the front of her car and the Obama sticker on the back. No comments or remarks. There was one guy who meandered away as I got off the bike, and never spoke to me, but he may or may not even have seen the gun.

Then down US1. Stopped at a Sunoco in Hybla Valley to get the bike inspected, but they were out of stickers. THere was a state trooper there, but he didn't even look my way. Meandered further down US1 to the Sunoco in Engleside, where I had a great conversation with a woman in line ahead of me, and then the inspector. Inspector asked about the bike and about my alma mater, but never mentioned the firearm. He didn't have to see it -- my license plate is 2AMEND!

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Went to Community Meeting.. and then hung out with Sheriff for late dinner. Glad to have such a great guy heading up Law Enforcement in Loudoun County.
ocmikeocdo.jpg

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
They make the Sheriff wear a photo ID?

(Note to self: Must find out where Ed gets his cool shirts.)

No OC today. Got a few notices yesterday in the Springfield area; no comments from the observers.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
im a 19 year old non white male and i OC'ed on friday with no problems in NOVA.

+1 on the welcome!! You're going to have to give us an explanation on the username though:D

OCed to Anita's in Burke yesterday.

Earlier in the week I went to OLd Country Buffett in Fairfax with my wife. As we were sitting at the table an older gentleman came up and asked "is what you're doing called open carry?" I replied that it was. He left and then came back and asked if he could join us for a bit. We talked about guns for awhile and he told me that he had been carrying for twenty years. It was a great conversation. Also while we were there another man walked by and said "Second Amendment, I love it" with a big smile on their face. I always have interesting and positive encounters at the OCB.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Went to Community Meeting.. and then hung out with Sheriff for late dinner. Glad to have such a great guy heading up Law Enforcement in Loudoun County.
ocmikeocdo.jpg

Ed;

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the sheriff in your picture the man who was running for this office last year and who attended Dan's spring "Use of Deadly Force" seminar in Sterling? The candidate was there at the end of the seminar along with the Commonwealth's attorney for Loudoun County to answer questions.

Baked on Grease

Ed;

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the sheriff in your picture the man who was running for this office last year and who attended Dan's spring "Use of Deadly Force" seminar in Sterling? The candidate was there at the end of the seminar along with the Commonwealth's attorney for Loudoun County to answer questions.

Sherriff Chapman if I recall. Only losely related to me on my mothers side.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

This Sheriff bears a striking resemblance to Sheriff Danny Diggs of Yorktown/Poquoson when he was a bit younger.

Could he be a clone? Certainly appears so with regard to citizens right to self-defense. Kudos to both.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I plan on going to lake accontink this weekend for a stress relaving walk, Can i OC there. I do not know weither it is a state or national park.

Lake Accotink Park seems to be a county park: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/accotink/facilities.htm Hunt around the county website to confirm.

If it is a county park, then pre-emption would apply. Pre-emption means the VA General Assembly pre-empted the local governments from passing gun laws, leaving them only a very little lattitude to pass gun laws on very specific subjects like where one can or can't hunt. The statute is 15.2-915. Basically, local governments cannot pass their own ordinances prohibiting carrying guns for self-defense in places and ways that are not also prohibited by the state like jails and court houses and so forth.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

So, if Accotink really is a county park, then the county is not allowed to prohibit people carrying guns for self-defense. Doesn't mean the cops won't come and check you out if somebody complains--so carry your voice recorder.

Separate note: This is a report thread, as compared to a discussion thread. We try to keep it to reports of places and happenings while OCing. A good place for this question would be to start a new thread in the Virginia subforum.

Also, there is a Virginia Citizens Defense League meeting tomorrow evening at 8:00-9:30 in the George Mason government center. Lots of members OC for the meeting. For the exact location see the meeting schedule at www.vcdl.org Plus, members get together for fellowship at a nearby restaurant after the meeting.

Edited to correct the date of the VCDL meeting.

Last edited:

pulsatingbeaver

Lake Accotink Park seems to be a county park: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/accotink/facilities.htm Hunt around the county website to confirm.

If it is a county park, then pre-emption would apply. Pre-emption means the VA General Assembly pre-empted the local governments from passing gun laws, leaving them only a very little lattitude to pass gun laws on very specific subjects like where one can or can't hunt. The statute is 15.2-915. Basically, local governments cannot pass their own ordinances prohibiting carrying guns for self-defense in places and ways that are not also prohibited by the state like jails and court houses and so forth.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

So, if Accotink really is a county park, then the county is not allowed to prohibit people carrying guns for self-defense. Doesn't mean the cops won't come and check you out if somebody complains--so carry your voice recorder.

Separate note: This is a report thread, as compared to a discussion thread. We try to keep it to reports of places and happenings while OCing. A good place for this question would be to start a new thread in the Virginia subforum.

Also, there is a Virginia Citizens Defense League meeting this evening at 8:00-9:30 in the George Mason government center. Lots of members OC for the meeting. For the exact location see the meeting schedule at www.vcdl.org Plus, members get together for fellowship at a nearby restaurant after the meeting.

I plan on join the VCDL at the gun show on sat.
What do you mean by "carry your voice recorder"?

BOT: I OC'ed at bestbuy near main st and tacobell on LRTP. No problems here is my gun

DSCN0146.jpg

Those are speer gold dots if you could not tell.