• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
A voice recorder, in the vernacular used on these forums, is a small recording device carried on one's person to record encounters which could be questionable in nature. One might call them an insurance policy of a type. Here is an example;

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Digital-...SSZK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334803456&sr=8-1

A few desirable features would be a USB connection, voice activated, time and date stamping, and flash memory. Prices run the gauntlet as do sizes, brands, and features.

markand

Home Depot, Merrifield, VA

OC'd in the Home Depot in Merrifield, VA. No problem. Home Depot has a policy of assimilating local laws and employees are aware of it. I did encounter what I believe were a couple of Home Depot's contract partners. Selling kitchen makeovers and such. The guy didn't notice anything, but the young gal asked me, "What do you do?" I said I was a business consultant. She said, "So you're not police or anything?" I said nope, just a civilian. She then said, "I was wonderin' cause your thang's hanging out." I said, yeah it does that sometimes. Wife and I are still laughing.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
OC'd in the Home Depot in Merrifield, VA. No problem. Home Depot has a policy of assimilating local laws and employees are aware of it. I did encounter what I believe were a couple of Home Depot's contract partners. Selling kitchen makeovers and such. The guy didn't notice anything, but the young gal asked me, "What do you do?" I said I was a business consultant. She said, "So you're not police or anything?" I said nope, just a civilian. She then said, "I was wonderin' cause your thang's hanging out." I said, yeah it does that sometimes. Wife and I are still laughing.

Now that IS funny.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Glad your wife was with you and heard it first hand.

Would hate for her to have gotten wind of it 2nd hand - you might presently be actively donating your organs to science. :lol:

pulsatingbeaver

OC'ed todat at 7-11 on LRTP nothing out of the ordinary... but some of the guys standing out side were staring, idk why but i think i know at what ahahah

markand

OC'ed todat at 7-11 on LRTP nothing out of the ordinary... but some of the guys standing out side were staring, idk why but i think i know at what ahahah

The one outside the beltway just west of Prosperity Dr.? I live near there. Owner's a very nice guy.

Riana

Done a fair amount of OC over the past few days. I've just been lazy about posting.

Saturday morning, the family decided we were going to cruise some yard sales (a favorite Saturday AM pasttime). While my husband tells me there were other double-takes, only one person commented on my sidearm (mostly in amazement - a girl with a gun!). No issues.

Then I spent a few hours UOCing at the Gun Show, I stopped by F3 Tactical to drop off some flyers and business cards and chatted with the folks there for a bit. That was followed by some time walking around and looking at stuff at Game Parlor, the game shop near F3, and dinner at Hibachi Grill, a few more doors down from F3. No issues anywhere.

This morning, I went to Lane Bryant in Reston to shop around a bit (needing some more professional clothing). After about 15 minutes, I overheard that the two clerks had started talking about guns, so I approached. Apparently, I was the second OCer they'd seen in two days - yesterday, a gentleman came in with his family, and though he'd covered up on entering, the staff had seen it. I handed out some of my business cards, and chatted with them for a few minutes.

Now I'm enjoying my caffeine fix at Starbucks in Reston.

Last edited:

Steeler-gal

Uh, TMI dude. No one wants to see your thang. Let's keep it covered, huh? ;) :D :monkey

Steeler-gal

I keep forgetting to post my comings and goings.
Spent several hours last week OCing at the Caribou Coffee on Lorton Market Street in Lorton VA while I was “working from home.” I was carrying my M&P in my new Blackhawk Serpa holster. The only issue I had was with a small child. They have an area in the back with toys and a small table for kids. When I had arrived the table in front of it was the only one available so I sat there. A woman and child came in but they were sitting up front. At one point the child came back to get something out of the toy box. I guess he saw my gun because a few minutes later he came back again. I saw him coming my way and staring directly at me. He just stood behind me while “looking” in the toy box. When I turned to ask him if he was OK he was looking directly at my hip. He said he was OK and then proceeded to tell me how his mom’s Dell was bigger and nicer than my laptop. It wasn’t a laptop it was my iPad but who wants to fight with a kid, right? I smiled made small talk and asked him if that was all he wanted to talk about. I was really uncomfortable when he was standing behind me gawking at my gun.

Later I walked up to the UPS store to pick up my mail. No incidents or engagements.

I stopped in at the Hong Kong Café for some dinner. The man behind the counter said he liked my gun. Asked if I was “in security.” I explained that I wasn’t. He told me he has a 1911 that he wanted to carry more but he can’t/doesn’t because he works so many hours. I guess they don’t let him carry there. I’ve been here lots before and the staff all seem to be family so possibly he doesn’t want to rock the boat when it comes to carry issues.

Riana

OCd at Starbucks on Elden in Herndon - no issues, though there seemed to be an inordinate number of police officers/armed security coming and going this afternoon.

Then this evening, we went to Old Country Buffet in Fairfax for dinner. After we were seated, an older woman asked me if I was a police officer, to which I replied I was not. She smiled and nodded, returning to her meal. Later, when she and her companion got up to leave, the gentleman asked me if I was "a fast draw" to which I replied, "Fast enough." We both smiled, and they departed.

Other than that, no other comments/issues.

Steeler-gal

Sitting at the Starbucks in Chantilly near Blue Ridge Arsenal with a fellow OCDO'er. Several people have given us odd looks but no one approached.

There was a man her OCing at around 1pm when we got here. Was it one of you?

==========================================
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/

vt800c

seems pretty quiet....

but I guess I am guilty of NOT doing something as well. maybe with the warmer weather we will see more posts of citizens doing the RIGHT thing.

Looking forward to many more NoVA reports!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
It gets old repeating the same old places time after time, so I haven't posted much lately. Up and down US1 between the Beltway and Ft Belvoir I've never had a problem.

Today was my first time at the Sherwood Hall Farmers Market. As you might imagine given the location and the fact it's a farmers' market (loosely defined, but that's another story), parking lot was full of Obama/Kaine/Connolly stickers. Got LOTS of stares and double-takes, but no one ran away screaming, even those with young children in tow. No opportunities for conversation, either, but you can't win 'em all. First market of the season, and not heavily populated.

efriday

OC in Old Country Buffet in Fair City Mall on Sunday

No looks. No Man With A Gun calls to 911.
Food was just OK. Prices were high.

grylnsmn

I OCed last night giving a friend a ride down to Woodbridge to get his car after some repairs, then stopped by the Landmark BJs. A City of Alexandria police officer was inside (helping people load their carts in the self-serve checkout lines), helped me with my cart for a moment. I thanked her, and then I happily went on my way. No problems.