• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

acmariner99

I had a chance to OC in Oklahoma when I was visiting last week. I was staying in eastern OKC/Del City near Tinker. A friend of mine who lives there is apprehensive about OC for a variety of reasons, but he is slowly opening up to it. I carried at the Starbucks north of the base without issue though my friend thought he caught a couple of "really" type glances from military persons who were there. I also carried into a couple of road stops on our way out of OK without a problem.

C-dub

I got back home today from my semi-annual trip to KS. I stopped in OK to get gas, food, and to relieve myself on the way up and back. Like many of you have said, they were non-experiences. I stopped at the Mobil station in Perry and it since it has a Subway inside it was full of people of all ages both times. I don't think anyone batted an eye and no one asked my any questions inside or out and no police showed up or chased me down on the highway.

I also OCed in several places over a three day period while in KS with the same results. I must say that, although I was happy to get back to Texas, I was a little saddened donning my cover shirt.

Elm Creek Smith

A short while back I had my first hostile encounter with someone who disapproved of open carry. I was leaving the Owasso WalMart Neighborhood Market when a woman in her 40's (best guess) stopped in front of my cart in the parking lot. "Why are you carrying a gun?" she demanded.

"I'm not," I reply. "I'm carrying two guns," turning so she could see the other one. She was still spluttering as I went around her to my truck.

ECS

Sent from my little slice of Heaven.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A short while back I had my first hostile encounter with someone who disapproved of open carry. I was leaving the Owasso WalMart Neighborhood Market when a woman in her 40's (best guess) stopped in front of my cart in the parking lot. "Why are you carrying a gun?" she demanded.

"I'm not," I reply. "I'm carrying two guns," turning so she could see the other one. She was still spluttering as I went around he to my truck.

ECS

I am always perplexed by the logic (or lack thereof) by people that supposedly fear others with a gun(s), yet will openly and belligerently accost them.

Though it does not fit my kinder, gentler persona, I read something meant to be humorous recently: "If LACs with guns were as dangerous and irresponsible with guns as the antis say we are, there wouldn't be any antis left."

OldCurlyWolf

"I'm not," I reply. "I'm carrying two guns," turning so she could see the other one. She was still spluttering as I went around he to my truck.

ECS

I really like that reply.
:banana::dude:

hrdware

A couple more non-eventful locations: Summit Veterinary Hospital on S Western in OKC and Advance Auto Parts in Moore.

papa bear

I am always perplexed by the logic (or lack thereof) by people that supposedly fear others with a gun(s), yet will openly and belligerently accost them.

Though it does not fit my kinder, gentler persona, I read something meant to be humorous recently: "If LACs with guns were as dangerous and irresponsible with guns as the antis say we are, there wouldn't be any antis left."

this has always struck me as odd too. but i learned something the other day which may help. i had often thought that people that were against carry were Hopolophobes, people who fear weapons. but there is another category that we must fight against, and that is the Eleuthrophobes, people that are afraid of freedom. these types will do anything to take your freedoms away from you, from putting ammo in a gunshow firearm to have a accidental discharge, to publicly arguing with someone practicing freedom.

be forever on guard of these

TJ Norman

To all the teachers and admin

I just finished my class on Saturday and am filling out the paperwork to turn in. It was said during the class by the instructor that as a teacher you can simply ask the school board and they can allow you to carry on school grounds (they might not allow it). I would assume this would cover leaving it in the vehicle as well.

I however do not see anything in the statues that mention the school board has that authority.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I just finished my class on Saturday and am filling out the paperwork to turn in. It was said during the class by the instructor that as a teacher you can simply ask the school board and they can allow you to carry on school grounds (they might not allow it). I would assume this would cover leaving it in the vehicle as well.

I however do not see anything in the statues that mention the school board has that authority.
Welcome to OCDO Norman - good to have you here.

Your instructor was premature with his advice - the proposed change died in committee and would not have been a "simply ask" condition anyway.

Special Reserve School Resource Officer Act.
House Bill 1062 would have allowed public school teachers or administrators who successfully complete a special school resource officer course to bring loaded handguns to school. Not heard by a Senate committee; considered dormant.
http://newsok.com/update-bills-in-the-oklahoma-legislature/article/3786365

hrdware

Welcome to OCDO Norman - good to have you here.

Your instructor was premature with his advice - the proposed change died in committee and would not have been a "simply ask" condition anyway.

Special Reserve School Resource Officer Act.
House Bill 1062 would have allowed public school teachers or administrators who successfully complete a special school resource officer course to bring loaded handguns to school. Not heard by a Senate committee; considered dormant.
http://newsok.com/update-bills-in-the-oklahoma-legislature/article/3786365

To add to this, the bill that did pass will allow private schools to adopt their own policy about firearms on campus.

Here is a link to the bill as was signed by the governor: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2013-14 ENR/hB/HB1622 ENR.PDF

Elm Creek Smith

Does anyone have a lead on which theaters in the Tulsa area are OC friendly? Or, which ones have you had experiences at?

From another site:

From: AMC Guest Services [mailto:AMCGuestServices@amctheatres.com]
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 1:50 PM
To: XXXXXXX
Subject: AMC Theatres

Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our no weapons policy. AMC has more than 350 theatres in the United States in 30 states and the District of Columbia. Many of the states we operate in have concealed carry laws.

For the safety and security of our guests and associates, and as a family business, AMC feels the best way to protect our guests and associates is to have a uniform, standardized policy prohibiting weapons on our premises, and to post such policy. (In many states, we are required by law to post signage if we have a policy against bringing weapons on our property, hence the posting of signage at our theatres nationwide.)

Please be assured that we evaluate our policies periodically, and your feedback will be included in our next review. The quality of your moviegoing experience—and your opinion of AMC Theatres—is important to us.

Thanks again for contacting us. We look forward to seeing you at the movies.

Sincerely,

AMC Guest Services
(Emphasis added)

From this website:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?46023-Cinemark-Theaters I knew Cinemark Theaters were anti-gun since they owned the one posted "no guns," OWTTE, that got shot up in Aurora, CO.

That's all I know since I don't go to the movies. I'd rather watch them on my big TV at home.

ECS

Last edited:

landon holt

I just don't think I would ever be able to carry it with me on school grounds with the job I have as a teacher/administrator. And we all know just having one in your vehicle on school grounds does you no good when you cant get to it in case of emergency. Right?

Here in Oregon, while I've been in college, I've sat armed in my seat every single day since I got my CHL without fail. I always thought to myself, "if someone busts through that door armed with ill-intent, I'll be the one that was prepared. Live or die, at least I took responsibility over my own life." And it's legal. We're one of the few states with concealed carry in schools that cannot be contested by the schools themselves. That's the reason, for now, that I won't leave Oregon. I'll stay here even after I'm done because I like the idea of carrying when I pick my son up from school.

redneckanize

Oc'ed in Action Powersports the other day..had a real nice talk with a Harley guy while i was waiting. He said he always cc's his..but was glad to see people expressing their right. One of the salesmen asked me why i was carrying..and before i could respond his manafer said..because he can! We all laughed....they are very oc friendly as well. Its really funmy some of the double takes i get at red lights on my raider. Hehe...

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Elm Creek Smith

Open carried in the Golden Corral in Bartlesville this evening. Got some looks (quizzical, not hostile) from other customers, but the staff couldn't have been nicer.

ECS