• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

AFCop

Williamsburg Police

Well on our way home from the OC dinner, the wife and I decided to take Colonial Parkway and enjoy the ride home. When we approached the overpass of Newport Road, I noticed a group of kids (4 that looked between 14 - 16) standing dead center on the overpass. My spidey sense starts tingling and I tell my wife they are gonna throw something. As we get closer, sure enough, the tallest girl launches an object and shortly after I hear the clink off my roof. I zip onto the exit and up onto the overpass. I challenge a group of younger teens (now appearing 12-15 and a little guy 3 or 4 - who I didn't see) while my wife telephones the police. Of course they deny throwing anything (claimed they dropped a sour patch kid).

While wife was on the line with PD, older 2 start to walk away and in my cop voice, I tell them no one is going anywhere and the police are on the way.

The kids stop and while I am on the phone with dispatch, one officer arrives.

I tell him there's no physical damage I can attribute to the kids (2006 Jeep Gr Cherokee) and this was best case scenario but my concern was what if they had seriously damaged the car or worse, caused an accident. Officer 2 arrives and, (after retelling him what happened), he begins to talk to the kids. While that's happening, Officer 1 asks us if we're coming from the range.. which leads into the "you're totally within your rights but... blah, blah...not around kids... blah... if parents would have shown up... blah... confrontational... blah... could have escalated... blah..." Never asked for permit or anything and commented on how he liked the wife's pink Glock. I'd label this over neutral with a negative connotation encounter because the mere presence of the gun shouldn't be his excuse for escalation. How about if the kids hadn't lobbed an object at my car, I'd have never stopped... I digress...

Anyone here think I was wrong for not concealing the handgun?

shaggy23608

Open carry in newport news park?

Does anyone know if open carry is legal in newport news park?

Another open carry friendly place is the carquest auto parts in dendigh, i work there. i have had many customers come in carrying. Seen a couple of 9's, a fn five seven and a couple of 1911's. Dont know how friendly the other carquest's are or the other parts stores.

Blk97F150

Does anyone know if open carry is legal in newport news park?

Welcome.

Generally speaking, localities cannot prohibit lawful carrying of firearms.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. However, no locality shall adopt any workplace rule, other than for the purposes of a community services board or behavioral health authority as defined in § 37.2-100, that prevents an employee of that locality from storing at that locality's workplace a lawfully possessed firearm and ammunition in a locked private motor vehicle. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in § 9.1-101, from acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail, juvenile detention facility, or state-governed entity, department, or agency.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.

C. In addition to any other relief provided, the court may award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any person, group, or entity that prevails in an action challenging (i) an ordinance, resolution, or motion as being in conflict with this section or (ii) an administrative action taken in bad faith as being in conflict with this section.

D. For purposes of this section, "workplace" means "workplace of the locality."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last edited:

Slpblackout

Open Carry Advice

Hi i'm just starting to carry and i'm trying to inform myself with the laws but i was wondering if someone wouldn't mind helping me out and give me some advice or maybe even a group of people and we could have a oc breakfast or dinner. Thanks

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hi i'm just starting to carry and i'm trying to inform myself with the laws but i was wondering if someone wouldn't mind helping me out and give me some advice or maybe even a group of people and we could have a oc breakfast or dinner. Thanks

Welcome to OCDO Slpblackout. Lots of good information here, but you are right facetime and being pointed in the right direction beats stumbling around in the dark :)

We have an OC breakfast somewhere in Greater Richmond every Sat. morning - look for the annoucement like this one on Thurs. or Friday.

Also there is our monthly OC dinner - usually on the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 7:00 pm. Next month (May 13th) will be at Hibachi-Sushi-Supreme-Buffet - it hasn't even been posted yet.

OC, CC, or noC, family environment w/great conversations. Come on out.

wrearick

Well, ended up not wanting to chance trying to get up to Va Beach Blvd to get to the 2nd precint to turn in excess meds so we went to the 1st precint at the city offices center on Princess Anne. Two officers on the the front steps collecting the items so didn't have to go inside. All friendly and jovial, no problem/mention of the firearm on my hip.

Basically, it was a quite weekend down at the Holiday Trav-L park on the south end of the beach. Did hear a number of sirens on Friday night but not sure if that was related to storm incidents or incidents at the beach with Greek Week. Carried all weekend all over the campground and at local stores in the area. Had a pretty good conversation with some folks from knotts island around a campfire. We actually stopped by twice during the course of the night. The second time I was talking with a guy who said there had been a thought provoking discussion after our first visit on "carrying a pistol on your hip". One woman was highly opposed to it as being unnecessary and "scary" but the more they discussed it the more it "made sense". The guy I was talking to finally at least pushed he to neutral pointing out it is not the guy openly wearing a firearm on the hip you have to worry about, it is the person with it stuck in their waistband with their shirt pulled over it that is scary. Most people who are carrying a gun with bad intentions try to hide the fact that they have a gun. They were all drinking pretty heavy but were not too rowdy and were not driving anywhere. A couple of times in discussing drinking they were sensitive to the fact that we might not drink and didn't want to offend. We assured them we did and wife shared some of her moonshine recipes, and I simply stated that I don't drink while I am carrying unless it is in my own house and that got a few approving nods. We had fun anyway!

Last edited:

sandiego

Well, ended up not wanting to chance trying to get up to Va Beach Blvd to get to the 2nd precint to turn in excess meds so we went to the 1st precint at the city offices center on Princess Anne. Two officers on the the front steps collecting the items so didn't have to go inside. All friendly and jovial, no problem/mention of the firearm on my hip.

Basically, it was a quite weekend down at the Holiday Trav-L park on the south end of the beach. Did hear a number of sirens on Friday night but not sure if that was related to storm incidents or incidents at the beach with Greek Week. Carried all weekend all over the campground and at local stores in the area. Had a pretty good conversation with some folks from knotts island around a campfire. We actually stopped by twice during the course of the night. The second time I was talking with a guy who said there had been a thought provoking discussion after our first visit on "carrying a pistol on your hip". One woman was highly opposed to it as being unnecessary and "scary" but the more they discussed it the more it "made sense". The guy I was talking to finally at least pushed he to neutral pointing out it is not the guy openly wearing a firearm on the hip you have to worry about, it is the person with it stuck in their waistband with their shirt pulled over it that is scary. Most people who are carrying a gun with bad intentions try to hide the fact that they have a gun. They were all drinking pretty heavy but were not too rowdy and were not driving anywhere. A couple of times in discussing drinking they were sensitive to the fact that we might not drink and didn't want to offend. We assured them we did and wife shared some of her moonshine recipes, and I simply stated that I don't drink while I am carrying unless it is in my own house and that got a few approving nods. We had fun anyway!

was he tall with wavy sandy blond hair and his name might be arnie? i had a bunch of friends there over the weekend. couldnt meet up with them due to work. i work at the beach and had to go in late saturday night to check on my boss's boat. i carried even tho technically i wasnt supposed to but there were a ton of cops and hoodlum looking ppl around so i wasnt going to chance not being protected

rdbro83

no post since April 30th

a whole week with no post in this topic, was beginning to think there was a limit of pages per thread or something.
guess not since this posted. Open carried all over town yeserday. Farm fresh(norge), tractor supply, and Taco Bell for some lunch

Last edited:

sandiego

a whole week with no post in this topic, was beginning to think there was a limit of pages per thread or something.
guess not since this posted. Open carried all over town yeserday. Farm fresh(norge), tractor supply, and Taco Bell for some lunch

some ppl take exception to posting about the same places over and over again.
IMO id like to see more ppl posting as much as possible. who knows we might have been in the same place at the same time without knowing haha

Justine

some ppl take exception to posting about the same places over and over again.
IMO id like to see more ppl posting as much as possible. who knows we might have been in the same place at the same time without knowing haha

IMO it's not that we (those who do not wish to see the same posts over and over again) take exception to those types of posts, and of course I'm not a moderator here so to my knowledge there's nothing that keeps you from posting such activities. However, those of us who have been here awhile do become a bit frustrated when we see the same thing over and over again, and it could drive some of us away if those posts became the norm. Valid questions, or if you encounter a problem that might need to be addressed and discussed is good stuff to post. If it's a new establishment I can understand giving someone the go ahead, but places that have already been established and proven to be neurtral or friendly become monotonous to hear about again and again. But that's just my .02, take it as you will.

Aside from that, there is an OC breakfast on Saturday in Chesapeake if anyone can make it. It's posted up in the events folder.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
IMO it's not that we (those who do not wish to see the same posts over and over again) take exception to those types of posts, and of course I'm not a moderator here so to my knowledge there's nothing that keeps you from posting such activities. However, those of us who have been here awhile do become a bit frustrated when we see the same thing over and over again, and it could drive some of us away if those posts became the norm. Valid questions, or if you encounter a problem that might need to be addressed and discussed is good stuff to post. If it's a new establishment I can understand giving someone the go ahead, but places that have already been established and proven to be neurtral or friendly become monotonous to hear about again and again. But that's just my .02, take it as you will.

Aside from that, there is an OC breakfast on Saturday in Chesapeake if anyone can make it. It's posted up in the events folder.

Aint it a bite on the butt when OCing turns into a non-event?

Most of the excitement we get in the Richmond area these days is recounting how we were not hassled or rousted. Occasionally we get a good story about someone "getting it" or kids wanting to know a little bit about "people who are not cops" carrying guns. But most of the places we go to are neutral, as opposed to OC-friendly - which I define as openly inviting OCers with signs or discounts or the like, or having folks from the business step up and explain to someone that OCing is legal and healthy and promotes safety rather that us saying all that.

There's no profit in OCing places where we know ahead of time we will not be welcome. A blogger calls that "open carrying at people." With a few exceptions such as politicians and public bureaucrats there is little to be gained by doing that. The folks that are on our side don't need to be convinced. Te folks against us for the most part won't listen to anything we have to say. The ones who are undecided will either be swayed by the railing, ranting, and gnashing of teeth of the anti-rights crowd or by the fact that they see people just like themselves (except for the fact that "those" people are wearing guns) going about their lives with no drama and no blood overflowing the gutters.

But then it suddenly strikes me that the lack of excitement was the goal of the exercise. Hooray us! We're mostly winning!

And hearing about that is good

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

What is a repetitious non-event to one (waking up in the morning) is a cause for celebration to another.

Those that may not wish to read the same-old, same-old can simply unsubscribe the thread.

Skid says it pointedly in that is the goal of OC - to be accepted w/o fanfare.