• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

wylde007

Actually, in retrospect, I came down a bit hard on GrayM - don't want to dampen his enthusiasm.
Disagree. I think you were pretty level considering.

And considering he's got ONE POST and in that ONE POST he managed to absolutely mangle and misrepresent nearly your entire argument, well, that speaks volumes.

Justine

Lately I've been networking in an attempt to secure myself a better paying job (which in turn I hope will lead to a career). I went to make some contacts at the Norfolk Department of Juvenile Justice (parole/probation office) and was dismayed to see a sign at the door of the office stating no guns/knives. While I understand why they put that there, I must say that is a field of work where I would most certainly want to be armed at all times. I had to disarm before going back in order to establish some contacts (of which I was successful). Hopefully, if I manage to get some work there I will learn that the sign is meant for offenders only and that employees are able to at least CC for their own protection. I'm not holding my breath though. ::sigh:: :banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Uh... preemption, anyone?
I believe that the Norfolk Department of Juvenile Justice is under the auspices of the state Department of Criminal Justices Services.

Employee rules on carrying will be dependent on the job description and security level.

For none employees, the general facility rules on guns will determine the security level deemed appropriate.

mpguy

Usual places. Work, food lion, Apple bees, Wal-Mart, various gas stations. Nothing to report.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Justine

I believe that the Norfolk Department of Juvenile Justice is under the auspices of the state Department of Criminal Justices Services.

Employee rules on carrying will be dependent on the job description and security level.

For none employees, the general facility rules on guns will determine the security level deemed appropriate.

You are correct (at least by my understanding). We'll see what happens if I manage to get a position. At the very least I'm going to volunteer with them that way I can get my foot in the door. I hope I can at least CC, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's against their policies. I'll keep y'all updated on that once I know more.

wrearick

a number of new places over the last 2 dayks.... McDonald's garden center on Independence, Taylor's do it (independence), Food Lion (independence), Krispy Kreme (va bch blvd), Kroger and Dunkin Dounuts on Holland road.

No comments, a couple of double take looks by some folks.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
a number of new places over the last 2 dayks.... McDonald's garden center on Independence, Taylor's do it (independence), Food Lion (independence), Krispy Kreme (va bch blvd), Kroger and Dunkin Dounuts on Holland road.

Comparison shopping?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Per http://www.djj.virginia.gov/CommunityPages/CSU4.aspx the Norfolks Court Services Unit is state-operated. If you check at that site you will find that many others are locality-operated as opposed to being state-operated.

And for Grapeshot - it's the Department of Juvenile Justice, not the Department of Criminal Justice Services. And employee scarry is no longer totally restricted at locality-operated facilities. See paragraph #2 at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

stay safe.

scouser

Comparison shopping?

maybe he just wants to make sure every cop in town sees his sidearm

Last edited:

rev.david

Made me say, "Huh."

Went back to Beach Bistro to watch Winter Soldier. Was told I could keep my weapon but had to leave my "book bag" (tac-pack) at the front desk.

Great movie, good food, and 2A friendly.

D+

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Made me say, "Huh."

Went back to Beach Bistro to watch Winter Soldier. Was told I could keep my weapon but had to leave my "book bag" (tac-pack) at the front desk.

Great movie, good food, and 2A friendly.

D+

What was their objection to the book bag?

Some women's purses are quite large - bet they don't require that they be left at the front desk.

No offense intended, but I don't turn my personal property over to anyone......ever.

rev.david

No offense taken...their policy is an effort to prevent people from bringing in food.

I kept the important stuff...didn't think I was on a "slippery slope", lol

rdbro83

some experiences

My wife and I open carry wherever we legally can and I never get any remarks, maybe some looks at times but everyone wants to approach her whether it be positive or negative. For example we were at the GoodWill in Williamsburg and the manager made his way over to the isle we were on and gave her a thumbs up and pointed to her Bodyguard 380 on her hip and said " keep up the good work" and another time we passed a couple in the frozen food section of our local farm fresh and the female chimed in to her significant other saying "she got a gun" and the male responded ( knowing we can hear them ) "she better not try anything if she knows whats good for her."
And she always gets asked if thats a tazer on her side since her sidearm is so small and she of course replies to them, no its a firearm. I dont know if its the insight laser system on the Bodyguard but she sets metal detectors off everywhere we go, upon entering and exiting department stores and of course that sparks interest in the publics eye, but other than that we have no issues and we always seem to be around local LEO without incident.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My wife and I open carry wherever we legally can and I never get any remarks, maybe some looks at times but everyone wants to approach her whether it be positive or negative. For example we were at the GoodWill in Williamsburg and the manager made his way over to the isle we were on and gave her a thumbs up and pointed to her Bodyguard 380 on her hip and said " keep up the good work" and another time we passed a couple in the frozen food section of our local farm fresh and the female chimed in to her significant other saying "she got a gun" and the male responded ( knowing we can hear them ) "she better not try anything if she knows whats good for her."

And she always gets asked if thats a tazer on her side since her sidearm is so small and she of course replies to them, no its a firearm. I dont know if its the insight laser system on the Bodyguard but she sets metal detectors off everywhere we go, upon entering and exiting department stores and of course that sparks interest in the publics eye, but other than that we have no issues and we always seem to be around local LEO without incident.
Few to none of the retail stores have metal detectors - they do have sensors (loss prevention tool) that pick up on security tags/inserts that have not been deactivated at the cash register. The tag/insert is often hidden where you cannot see/find it without pulling the item apart.

Most likely she has a pair of shoes or a purse with such a tag that was not deactivated when she bought it. Have her try and determine which item of apparel is common to all of her trips where the buzzer sounds. I had such a problem - turned out to be my shoes - went to the a store manager who deactivated them....no more buzzing when I entered.

Last edited:

DarthBrute

Carried into Brickhouse Tavern in NN. Buddy told me they had a no gun sign. Forgot to check after but had no trouble there.

rdbro83

good odds that they were visiting their W&M special snowflake from Joisey.

Few to none of the retail stores have metal detectors - they do have sensors (loss prevention tool) that pick up on security tags/inserts that have not been deactivated at the cash register. The tag/insert is often hidden where you cannot see/find it without pulling the item apart.

Most likely she has a pair of shoes or a purse with such a tag that was not deactivated when she bought it. Have her try and determine which item of apparel is common to all of her trips where the buzzer sounds. I had such a problem - turned out to be my shoes - went to the a store manager who deactivated them....no more buzzing when I entered.

After testing the theory, in a Kmart family restroom I holstered her firearm and I was the one beeping going out, then it was Me at the tj Max with her smith and Wesson, and I am all too familiar with those darn sensors hidden in every orifice, I'm a security director for a large retail corporation.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
After testing the theory, in a Kmart family restroom I holstered her firearm and I was the one beeping going out, then it was Me at the tj Max with her smith and Wesson, and I am all too familiar with those darn sensors hidden in every orifice, I'm a security director for a large retail corporation.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Then you should have no trouble determining what is causing the problem.

Are you saying that K-Mart and TJ Max amongst others are now using metal detectors as security theater? I have been in both locally with a fairly substantial metal presence and set off no alarms.