• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1 dead, one injured in Miami Burger King [CCW]shooting', MiamiHerald.com

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm glad I rad this post. My old attitude would have been to try and stop the robbery of give the guy a verbal warning. If the guys got a knife or something the I think you might have some time to talk him down depending on the situation. But if he's got a gun I'll let my .45 speak for me.

KansasMustang

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
marrandy wrote:
One quick challenge and then bang..bang...bang...bang.
Big mistake.

Take cover, draw, take aim, pop pop, pop.

No warnings or challenges of any kind. That sh!t only happens in Hollywood.
I concur wholeheartedly,,find COVER,,bust cap, one dead Perp. Any questions? And yes, even tho' we're not LEO's, i believe that sheepdogs, when they decide to become one are responsible for the safety not only of themselves but those sheeple around them. Just me sayin it.
Keep your powder dry!
spelling edit

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Was the bg wearing a mask as the news reports? Or was he just worried about
the swine flu? :idea:

But wearing mask, brandishing gun. That's a felony in my book, good for 2 taps
center mass, then ask if he will surrender. Not the other way around.

But it could be a case of OC would have had more time to get drop on a very fast
bg here. Or a massive OC gun would have caused more bodily functions to lock up
thereby negating the need to enter a fire fight. So concealable weapon contributed
to the situation getting out of hand.

Hope the getaway car was his so the victim can collect on some of the damages
from the bg's estate. I think it would be nice to be OC'ing the gun that shot you.
Would be a week side piece since it can't do the job. But a good reminder to
always shoot first next time.

Great response to those "Why carry?", because this gun stings like you wouldn't believe!:what:

Infidel

imported post

jarodm20 wrote:
I WILL put enough in him to end the threat. And I think it's worth whatever legal consequences you may face. I think the old standard line applies here: "It's better to be tried by twelve, than carried by six."

+1

Fire into the threat, until the threatceases to be a threat.

zack991

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
marrandy wrote:
One quick challenge and then bang..bang...bang...bang.
Big mistake.

Take cover, draw, take aim, pop pop, pop.

No warnings or challenges of any kind. That sh!t only happens in Hollywood.
Simply this

Erus

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
So what would be your FIRST line to the BG??

TJ

"Have it YOUR way." (tm)

Tap. Tap.
That's what you get when you go to BK to do violence upon a fellow human being.

Glad this wasn't McDonald's... Saying "I'm Lovin It!" (tm) as you double tap might be construed as if you were intentionally looking to shoot a BG, instead of just enjoying a peaceful lunch.

All kidding aside.. I do agree that if some felonious fool has his weapon drawn and aimed (and is therefore promising, threatening, or at a minimum implying, deadly force) at another person in the commission of a crime, they are asking to get taken out of the gene pool. There should be no hesitation to accommodate them, in my opinion.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Erus wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
So what would be your FIRST line to the BG??

TJ

"Have it YOUR way." (tm)

Tap. Tap.
That's what you get when you go to BK to do violence upon a fellow human being.

Glad this wasn't McDonald's... Saying "I'm Lovin It!" (tm) as you double tap might be construed as if you were intentionally looking to shoot a BG, instead of just enjoying a peaceful lunch.

All kidding aside.. I do agree that if some felonious fool has his weapon drawn and aimed (and is therefore promising, threatening, or at a minimum implying, deadly force) at another person in the commission of a crime, they are asking to get taken out of the gene pool. There should be no hesitation to accommodate them, in my opinion.
I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, but...

What part of un-holstering your weapon, pointing it at said felonious bastard, pulling the trigger a few times, etc, is 'enjoying a peaceful lunch?'

Unless, of course, you do it all with one hand, while stuffing a big nasty grease wad in your face with the other...

Fast Food is nasty.

zack991

imported post

My life and my family's life is too precious to leave it up to the mercy of a BG. All it takes is for the bad guys to get nervous which leads them to start shooting innocent people. Yes..... we are not cops, but people that have the ability to stop horrible things from happening, are no better then the bad guy if it goes uncontested. Give Zero warnings, get between the bad guy and those who can't defend themselves. Take the guy down before he knows what happens PERIOD.

protector84

imported post

Here is how it works if you are eating dinner at a restaurant when a bad guy comes in and holds the place up. You shoot the bad guy dead, retreive his weapon, and then go right back to your sandwich. Restaurant staff are responsible for placing the remains of the bad guy in the dumpster behind the building and will probably not mind getting the mop and cleaning up the mess.

All kidding aside, if someone is clearly threatening someone with deadly force then it could be you next if you don't act. Hesitation is what can cost you your life. Hopefully this would never happen to me but if I had to act to stop a robbery in progress I would also safely remove the bad guy's weapon (his partner in crime or him if he's not dead could still grab it) and I would probably ask people to step away or go outside until the police came.

I do not subscribe to any such nonsense as "he's only getting money...just shoot him in the leg if you have to...etc." Even if the person is only armed with a knife, if he doesn't put the knife down before you pull the trigger, he could then grab another customer and hold them hostage. Simply put, if someone is threatening somebody's life and you have the ability to stop it, then put the bad guy in a body bag where he belongs. Enough said.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

protector84 wrote:
I do not subscribe to any such nonsense as "he's only getting money...just shoot him in the leg if you have to...etc." Even if the person is only armed with a knife, if he doesn't put the knife down before you pull the trigger, he could then grab another customer and hold them hostage. Simply put, if someone is threatening somebody's life and you have the ability to stop it, then put the bad guy in a body bag where he belongs. Enough said.
Bingo. It has nothing to do with the Bad Guy's demands or interests. It's his actions. He's threatening lives; he forfeits his own. There is nothing else to talk about.

Erus

imported post

ixtow wrote:

What part of un-holstering your weapon, pointing it at said felonious bastard, pulling the trigger a few times, etc, is 'enjoying a peaceful lunch?'

Unless, of course, you do it all with one hand, while stuffing a big nasty grease wad in your face with the other...

Fast Food is nasty.
OK first, I am not growling or lashing out with the following:

No part of it at all. That was my point. I was simply putting the thought forward that if you were seeking to find/shoot a "Bad Guy" and that, rather than just lunch was the reason you were there, (as in my example quoting the slogan of the place might suggest) then this would NOT be even remotely reasonable.

Beyond that, It was a joke. A stupid one to be sure, but just a joke.
I agree that fast food is nasty on the whole, and I think that no matter where this occurred, if the "hero" shooter was simply out looking for a reason to shoot he is in need of serious mental health evaluation, but if by sheer happenstance you walked into this situation and had to shoot to prevent violence then I'm on your side.

I do not see where the need for devil's advocacy enters for my post, apart from perhaps critique of my sense of humor, though I can see it in response to the scenario introduced in the OP. My own response was to be silly, rather than to frame or resolve a debate.

(unless of course your advocacy was directed entirely at the fact that I called Fast foods a peaceful lunch, in which case I obviously misread your point, and can easily agree that fast food being called anything like lunch is certainly worthy of playing Devil's advocate. )

Erus

imported post

ixtow wrote:
Bingo. It has nothing to do with the Bad Guy's demands or interests. It's his actions. He's threatening lives; he forfeits his own. There is nothing else to talk about.
See? We are in complete agreement here. My odd sense of humor as it relates to the twisting of Fast Food slogans as it (does NOT really) applies to this scenario, not withstanding.

OK not as direct, or perhaps even as funny as "Do you want fries with that?" in response to the OP's question to be sure.. but at least to me.. an amusing silliness to try to diffuse for an instant the seriousness of the potential tragedy of this kind of situation.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Erus wrote:
ixtow wrote:

Fast Food is nasty.

No part of it at all. That was my point. I was simply putting the thought forward that if you were seeking to find/shoot a "Bad Guy" and that, rather than just lunch was the reason you were there, (as in my example quoting the slogan of the place might suggest) then this would NOT be even remotely reasonable.

I agree that fast food is nasty on the whole, and I think that no matter where this occurred, if the "hero" shooter was simply out looking for a reason to shoot he is in need of serious mental health evaluation, but if by sheer happenstance you walked into this situation and had to shoot to prevent violence then I'm on your side.

I do not see where the need for devil's advocacy enters for my post, apart from perhaps critique of my sense of humor, though I can see it in response to the scenario introduced in the OP. My own response was to be silly, rather than to frame or resolve a debate.
My point was simply that the anti's act as tho we enjoy or look forward to this sort of thing.

It was a sarcastic nod to the anti's paintbrush that says "Hey, you get to stuff your fat sloppy redneck face with grease, AND kill someone; does it get any better than that? Obama will come for you!!"

Erus

imported post

ixtow wrote:
Erus wrote:
ixtow wrote:

Fast Food is nasty.

My point was simply that the anti's act as tho we enjoy or look forward to this sort of thing.

It was a sarcastic nod to the anti's paintbrush that says "Hey, you get to stuff your fat sloppy redneck face with grease, AND kill someone; does it get any better than that? Obama will come for you!!"
Yeah, that was kinda my point too, if expressed in my own personally skewed manner.

SlowDog

imported post

As I see it and I am nobody special but have been in a few situations where I was forced to pull my weapon. BG comes in weapon drawn BG gets dirt nap...end of discussion. And it is my personal experience a couple of 240gr JHP 45acp rounds center mass will take down a very large excited man with weapon out for all the wrong reasons.

cmypistol22

imported post

Kind of relevant to 45vs9," it's not how big your bullets are, its where they hit you" .
Eddie Murphy , Harlem Nights;)

tcmech

imported post

If I or my family are in danger the gun comes out. If I am justified to pull the gun, I am justified to use the gun. The gun will go bang bang bang till it goes click. The gun will get reloaded and start going bang again if I still feel as if I or my family are in danger.

There is no need for any further conversation.

If by some off chance I do decide to defend some strangers it will be at minimal risk to me and my loved ones, and there will be no warning.

Milbars

imported post

I was running this scenario through my head and came to a sticky point. BG comes in with pistol/knife/whatever out, goes right to the register and demands money. At this point, depending on where you are sitting, you may be at his "6 o'clock". We know how courts view backshots so how do you handle this? Let him go? Call out to him so his back is no longer turned to you (after your pistol is out and aimed)? And just to add some fun, you are the only one carrying in the place and you have your spouse with you.