• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

12 Jul 10 - Ruck Hump - Open Carry - Police Called (VIDEO LINK)

ElevenBravo

For the next video, my AR carry. How many round magazine can I have anyway... is it 20 or 30? Im not 100% sure and I want to be a lawful MWAG. (J/K... I dont have an AR15... Yet.)

I may just carry the 12, but I dont have a sling. Is it permissible to carry it cross armed? Or HOW do you "carry" a shotgun without being charged by an overzealous revenue collector for brandishing??

Let me know soon, my legs are almost recovered from that last hump, and Im ready to head back out. I may leave the ruck sack at home though, I think thats what got me in trouble the last time. :)

Also, if the "officer" ask to see the weapon, are you not also protected from the right to seizure of property and have the right to verbally refuse?

You gotta love 2A-
http://www.vosizneias.com/36853/200...bama-appearance-nothing-much-police-could-do/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p7QY8lY9Zw

Andrew

Last edited:

simmonsjoe

What are you looking for?

No offense but does this guy come off as "looking for trouble" to anyone else?

If your primary goal in leaving the house is to carry, that is odd.

OCing should be like grabbing your cell phone on your way out the door. It is part of how you do things, not why you do them.

I understand there are those people that feel there is merit in fully exposing all boundaries. Maybe organizing a long gun march or something would be more productive? The lone MWAG cases have such an uphill battle. Even if you win in court, it may not have the long term effects we're looking for.

ElevenBravo

OCing should be like grabbing your cell phone on your way out the door. It is part of how you do things, not why you do them.

I understand there are those people that feel there is merit in fully exposing all boundaries. Maybe organizing a long gun march or something would be more productive? The lone MWAG cases have such an uphill battle. Even if you win in court, it may not have the long term effects we're looking for.

You must read, all the text, for understanding and clarity. I also realize that it is difficult to detect sarcasm in the printed word, where tonality is not present.

1) If I chose to carry a rifle or shotgun, that TOO is my right.
2) I stated that I would be going OUT for ANOTHER road march, I am currently carrying 90% of the time, and mostly do so open now. (In spite of CHP, because open is my right).
3) I am not looking for trouble.

Cheers,
Andrew

hometheaterman

A month ago I got a call from an OV member that had Dog Hunters on his property.

He called the CO (Game Warrden) who came out, They made an excuse about hunting Coyotes and they were just getting their dogs.

I talked to the Officer later and it wasn't a pleasant conversation. He hadn't even taken an incident report even though a couple of dog hunters were close to being shot, were clearly breaking the law and the peoperty owner had asked him to.

His exact words were "I'm not required to".

Actually, he's right. he was not legally required to.

Same with giving ID. You're not required to!
I wonder how many people give their SSN on their CHP application?
From seeing the opposite side of this as I have friends that do hunt with dogs I'd like to comment on this, not that it matters. I know someones dogs being on your property unwanted are a hassle. However, sometimes the hunters really do try to stop the dogs before getting to someone else property. If they can't catch them all because the dogs are running, and the dogs cross onto land where they are not allowed (they don't know they aren't allowed btw as they can't read) it's not really anything you can do other than try to catch them. It's not that the hunters want them on your land anymore than you do. The hunters have not done anything illegal in this situation. If they then decide to come on your land to get the dogs they have still also not done anything illegal as long as they don't have a firearm or a vehicle. It's absolutely no reason at all to want to go out and shoot someone or their dogs. Not to mention on top of that, wouldn't it be better to go out and talk with them in a calm manner and see what's going on instead of calling the police about something that's not illegal in the first place? That's something that open carriers seem to really dislike when it happens to them. I know from some of my friends hunting experiences they have had a dog slip by them and get on property where they are unwanted. They have tried to go talk to the owner of the property to ask him if he would be okay with them walking into the woods to catch the dog. It's often seems the property owner thinks it's okay for him to be some macho bad ass at this point and not only demand they get off of their property, but also spew them a line about how if he see's the dog he will shoot them. The problem here is that with or without the land owners permission it's legal for the hunters to go get their dogs off of his property. It's however, not legal for the land owner to threaten to shoot anything including the dogs much less to actually do it.

That's my pet peeve with people bashing dog hunters. Now from the sound of it your experiences have not been something like this happening and have been something more serious like poachers or something. I'm not sure if that's what you've dealt with or not. If so you have the right to be upset. I just wanted to point out that there is often another side of the story. It's not always that people want to hunt someone else's land without permission. Things do happen and it's legal for them to go get their dogs. The guys I know that hunt like this have also ended up having to call the police several times about their dogs and get the officers to come out so that they can go get their dogs even though it's legal in the first place. This is just plain ridiculous and it shouldn't have to be that way.

Now I will also throw out there that while the guys I know that hunt like this try to be pretty respectful, I know that not every hunter out there in VA is like that. I also know that not everyone that carries a gun is as responsible as the guys on this forum. It's a shame, but it's the truth. There are bad apples in any group of people. You shouldn't blame the whole group because of a few bad apples.

KBCraig

I laughed at the start of the video, because you're a 43 year old retired Eleven Bullet Stopper sucking wind.

And then I paused... because I'm a 47 year old redleg, and I would sucking wind too! One of the worst parts of getting older, is realizing there are "old folks" who are younger than you!

Good job on the video, good job on learning to assert your rights on providing ID, and I look forward to your next ruck hump video.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

I kinda got that feeling from it too.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
2) I stated that I would be going OUT for ANOTHER road march, I am currently carrying 90% of the time, and mostly do so open now. (In spite of CHP, because open is my right).

2A) Then why not do your HUMP down some trail instead of next to a road where hundreds of people will see you and (hopefully?) call police so you can get another police encounter on video?
3A) see 2A

Ed

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well....I see things are getting back to normal.
I won't discuss Dog hunters anymore. They made their own beds and will have to sleep in them.

Looking for trouble....Yeah, it looks like that may be the case.

Everyone has their own feelings about this.Here are mine.

The law is the law. Everyone has to obey it, the cops have to respect your rights and you need a plan to record and prosecute abuses.

You have the right to carry whatever you like that's legal.

The Police are NOT your friends. There is a line which both sides have to stay on one side or the other,

While you are exercising the right to carry whatever you choose, you may want to consider if it's appropriate for the time and place.

For instance, my wife won't wear white before Easter or after Labor Day. She could....but it would be in poor taste.

This really isn't a game to see how far we can push an issue.

If we don't like a law, we try to change it. I work on Dog Hunting laws every year and will continue to do so until they are changed..

Last edited:

ElevenBravo

2A) Then why not do your HUMP down some trail instead of next to a road where hundreds of people will see you

Personal opinion deleted so as to not detract from facts.

I choose to hump down the road because:
1) It is convenient for my workout and schedule
2) This is training for doing more strenuous hikes
3) What is not forbidden by law is thus permissible

With some of the replies, I had to check.. the URL... to make SURE... I was at opencarry.org.

I am merely using free expression in my post, not intended to be argumentative, but only to stimulate constructive conversation.

I do hope that the rest of the post can steer back to the topic of open carry in Virginia and civil rights applicable.

Oh, in in Va. a hunter has the legal right to retrieve his dog's off another persons property during hunting season. :)

Andrew

Last edited:

t33j

For whatever reason(s) many people here don't like the idea of carrying a long gun in public. I do not personally object to it but I don't see much use in lugging one around... unless I'd happen to be in the Alaskan woods. What do you hope the result of carrying one will be?

simmonsjoe

Long Gun Carry.

For whatever reason(s) many people here don't like the idea of carrying a long gun in public. I do not personally object to it but I don't see much use in lugging one around... unless I'd happen to be in the Alaskan woods. What do you hope the result of carrying one will be?
I'd like know as well.

I'll add, cops in the US that have long guns have them in quick-access, but don't carry them.
Meanwhile cops/troops overseas in many countries carry long guns and grenades and such.

I think the right to carry long guns is necessary in case our beloved USA deteriorates that far. When that happens, I'll carry long guns where ever I go. Until then, I usually have a carbine within a few minutes access at all times. The whole point of the pistol is to give you the ability to get to your rifle.

There are many reasons behind the 2A. The right of self defense is one of them. Another is the right to revolution/militia.

I feel daily carry of a pistol is satisfactory for self defense.
Daily carry of a sidearm fit for revolution/militia isn't necessary, nor does it make sense to me for self defense.
I still don't believe it should be regulated or legislated. It's a personal decision.

Last edited:

ODA 226

You must read, all the text, for understanding and clarity. I also realize that it is difficult to detect sarcasm in the printed word, where tonality is not present.

1) If I chose to carry a rifle or shotgun, that TOO is my right.

Cheers,
Andrew

I don't care what you carry as long as you don't paint the muzzle international orange...:rolleyes:

ElevenBravo

I mostly wanted to know, to affirm, that if I wanted to... I had the right. I honestly do not have any intention on carrying a long gun without some type of realistic need.

We are having at the least, a great thread with many views and angles, and this is very good.

Andrew

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Oh, in in Va. a hunter has the legal right to retrieve his dog's off another persons property during hunting season. :)

Andrew

Actually, they do not have a right Andrew. There is a much debated and much abused statute that allows them to. It is a privilege much like a CHP and it will be changed soon enough.
I used to say that 10% of the dog hunters were destroying the sport for everybody.

Unfortunately, as the 10% has reproduced and raised their kids to be lazy slobs, it's more like 30% now. There is one committee that I can't get legislation through. A lot like Saslaw's death squad. As a matter of fact, Saslaw always votes for the anti dog hunter bills so in that respect, he's useful.

This year I have a new plan!:uhoh:

And that is one area that I have zero tolerance.

Last edited:

hometheaterman

So is the issue you have with dog hunters that they are doing stuff that's illegal or morally wrong, or that you just don't like people who hunt with hunting dogs? The biggest issue many of my friends have run into is people who just either don't like hunting in general, or don't like hunting with dogs. Often times those people seem to think they own land that they don't, or just because their land is next to one of the hunters land that they shouldn't be able to hunt any of the land surrounding their property. I hunted with them last year and while on a relatives land that I have permission to hunt the neighbors came up to me trying to tell me that no hunting was allowed there and that it was their land. They pointed to a posted sign telling me it was posted. They didn't seem to understand that yes it was posted. Posted by my relative. They owned the land next to this property, and just didn't want us hunting in that area.

If the issue is with them doing illegal or morally wrong stuff I see your problem as that is a very annoying property. We have some problems with stand hunters trespassing on our land and even worse they don't like to take their trash with them, and like to tear up our roads with 4 wheelers. So I know it can be a problem that is very annoying. If this is the case, I really do feel sorry for you.

BTW is your law you are trying to pass to change the provision about being able to retrieve the dogs, or to do away with dog hunting in general?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yes, I hunt...12 months out of the year. During the summer I hunt with a camera. Bears are my favorite. I used to post pictures here but the Powers don't care for it.

Then comes bow season. And the damn dog hunters training their dogs who just happen to get released on the property line.

Then comes muzzle loading season and the same.

Then comes rifle season and they are everywhere.

Yes, I own my land. Free and clear.

I've talked to them, locked up more than a few, things I won't talk about...and they're like cockroaches.

And yes...I have friends who are dog hunters and this will hurt them too. As I mention often, you should have policed your own sport.

I'll talk about pending legislation after the session.

Just in case you're wondering...POSTED isn't french for welcome.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
OH...I have Coyote problems too. Here are a couple that I saw from my tree stand and a couple from game cameras.

IMG_0462.jpg

DSC_0001-640x480.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg