• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2nd Amendment Rally April 30, 2011

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Tansportation and parking at the Capital...

WASHINGTON STATE CAPITOL, PHYSICAL ADDRESS:
416 Sid Snyder Avenue SW
Olympia, WA 98504[/b][/b]

State Capitol Campus Parking Information

There are many ways to reach the State Capitol in Olympia, Washington. For those traveling by car, parking options are listed below. For the latest information on parking lot closures or changes, visit the General Administration parking page.

Try the Intercity Transit "Dash" Shuttle.

From I-5 Southbound: Take "Exit 105 to State Capitol", keep left for Exit 105A, and continue for 0.6 miles. Merge with traffic on the left and continue in the left hand lane of 14th Ave SW through the first light (Jefferson St.) and under the tunnel 0.4 mi to Capitol Blvd. Continue across Capitol Blvd to the Capitol Building on Sid Snyder Ave SW (14th Ave becomes Sid Snyder Ave).

From I-5 Northbound:Take Exit 105 and bear left for the State Capitol/City Center exit. Cross over Interstate 5 and keep in the left lane on 14th Ave SE. through the first light (Jefferson St) and under the tunnel 0.4 mi to Capitol Blvd. Continue across Capitol Blvd to the Capitol Building on Sid Snyder Ave SW (14th Ave becomes Sid Snyder Ave).

For more information, call the Department of General Administration’s Visitor Services office in the Legislative Building at (360) 586-3460.

Public transportation is also an option even after you've parked your car, and the local bus service (Intercity Transit) in Olympia offers many low-cost routes to the Capitol Campus and other state buildings. Intercity Transit also coordinates with connecting transportation systems in neighboring counties. Following are links to those public transit systems. If you have further questions about public transportation routes to the Capitol Campus or other state buildings, please contact the transit system as listed at the web site:

PicExportError
Department of TransportationIncludes options for getting around Washington State and points beyond

PicExportError
Grays Harbor Transitin Hoquiam, Washington

PicExportError
Intercity Transitin Olympia, Washington

PicExportError
Mason County Transportation Authorityin Shelton, Washington

PicExportError
Northwest Transit Links Includes information on ferry, air, rail and private bus links

PicExportError
Pierce Transit in Tacoma, Washington

PicExportError
Metro King County TRIP PLANNER

PicExportError
Sound Transit TRIP PLANNER

Detailed Map of Capitol Campus (PDF)
There are nine parking locations available for visitors to the Capitol:

1. Visitor Information Center Parking. Parking is available at the Visitor Information Center at 14th Avenue and Capitol Way. The charge is 50 cents per hour. For visitor parking information at other locations on the Capitol Campus grounds, please contact the state government Campus Parking Office at (360) 725-0030.

2. North and South Diagonal Parking. Located along the North and South Diagonal streets on the Capitol Campus. There is a 50¢ per hour charge.

3. General Administration Parking Garage (upper level) on the corner of 11th Avenue and Columbia Street. There is a 50¢ per hour charge.No SUVs, vans or trucks. These vehicles can park on the west side of the General AdministrationBuilding.

4. General Administration Building, located at 11th Avenue and Columbia Street. There are 35 visitor parking stalls on the west side (facing Capitol Lake) of the building. There is a 50¢ per hour charge.

5. Natural Resources P1 Parking Lot off Washington Street is metered parking.

6. Professional Arts Building at 11th Avenue and Washington Street.The 48-stall lot includes a meter that accepts payment with either a debit or credit card. The cost is 50 cents per hour. Free Dash shuttle service is also offered at this lot.

7. Capitol Campus Visitor Parking at Maple Park Avenue and Jefferson Street. Parking is 50 cents an hour.

8. Capitol Campus Visitor Parking at Farmers Market at the north end of Capitol Way (available January through March only). Parking is 50 cents an hour. Intercity Transit’s free Dash shuttle serves this lot every 12 minutes on weekdays, taking passengers between the Capitol Campus and downtown Olympia.

9. Deschutes Parkway. Intercity Transit serves Deschutes Parkway weekdays every 15 minutes. Other bus routes operate throughout the region and serve the Olympia Transit Center where passengers can transfer to Routes 12, 13, and 68 for service to the Capitol Campus. For route and schedule information, call (360) 786-1881 or visit http://www.intercitytransit.com. The fare is$1 for a single ride and $2 for an all-day pass. State employees working in Thurston County ride all Intercity Transit services free with a STAR Pass. Intercity Transit also operates a free Dash Shuttle along Capital Way between the Capitol campus and downtown Olympia. Service is every 12 minutes.

To Deschutes Parkway from I-5 Southbound: Take exit 103 and proceed on 2nd Avenue; turn left onto the Custer Way overpass; turn right on Boston, proceed downhill to Deschutes Parkway; turn right (north) onto the Parkway and proceed to the designated parking area along Capitol Lake.

To Deschutes Parkway from I-5 Northbound: Take exit 103 and proceed north on Deschutes Parkway through the stop sign to the designated parking area along Capitol Lake.

Persons with Disabilities: Those needing auxiliary aids or services for purposes of attending hearings or participating in other legislative activities should call the House of Representatives at (360) 786-7101 or the Senate at (360) 786-7400 for further information. TTY 1-800-635-9993.

Tour and Special Event Buses Tour/special events buses may not park on the Capitol Campus without prior approval from GA.* Load and unload on Columbia St., between 15th Ave. and Sid Snyder Ave. If full, the Winged Victory Monument traffic circle and South Diagonal can be used as a load/unload area. Once unloaded, park along Deschutes Parkway. At pickup time, please shut off the engine while waiting. Do not block 14th Ave. westbound waiting to enter the Capitol Campus. If traffic is backed-up entering the campus, go right on Capitol Way; then right on 11th Ave.; right on Jefferson St.; and then right again back on to 14th Ave.

Special Needs Buses that need special accommodations can drop off and load at the southeast corner of the Legislative Building. No waiting is allowed at this location and drivers must park in either handicapped parking or on Deschutes Parkway.

*GA Visitor Services Program
Legislative Bldg Room 111
(360) 902-8880
Capitol Campus Parking: http://www.ga.wa.gov/Park/visitor.htm

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I know a lot of folks are donating their time and own personal items to get this event rolling but funds are still needed for other incidentals.

OCDO will be at the May Puyallup show and all of the funds collected will be going toward the rally. If you can't be at the show we are also using PayPal to collect funds (WashingtonGunRights@gmail.com is the address) as well as getting with Deros, Squeak or myself to collect your donation.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I noticed thwt the second amendment rally is mentioned on the web site for the Washington General Administration. Thing happening in Olympia

https://fortress.wa.gov/ga/apps/CampusEvents/default.aspx

This event looks like it needs a OCDO presence considering the the rules of carrying at the facilities... Every L&I building I have been in across the state has posted a RCW 9A.76.180 sign (intimidating a public servant) vs the no guns and RCW 9.41.270 at DSHS & Work Source.

Tuesday - May 10, 2011 - 5/10/2011 : DSHS Public Rulemaking Hearing
Time: 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Sponsor by: DSHS Rules and Policies Assistance Unit

Estimate attendance: unknown

Last edited:
T

TWG2A

Deros....

Tansportation and parking at the Capital...

WASHINGTON STATE CAPITOL, PHYSICAL ADDRESS:
416 Sid Snyder Avenue SW
Olympia, WA 98504[/b][/b]

State Capitol Campus Parking Information

There are many ways to reach the State Capitol in Olympia, Washington. For those traveling by car, parking options are listed below. For the latest information on parking lot closures or changes, visit the General Administration parking page.

Try the Intercity Transit "Dash" Shuttle.

From I-5 Southbound: Take "Exit 105 to State Capitol", keep left for Exit 105A, and continue for 0.6 miles. Merge with traffic on the left and continue in the left hand lane of 14th Ave SW through the first light (Jefferson St.) and under the tunnel 0.4 mi to Capitol Blvd. Continue across Capitol Blvd to the Capitol Building on Sid Snyder Ave SW (14th Ave becomes Sid Snyder Ave).

From I-5 Northbound:Take Exit 105 and bear left for the State Capitol/City Center exit. Cross over Interstate 5 and keep in the left lane on 14th Ave SE. through the first light (Jefferson St) and under the tunnel 0.4 mi to Capitol Blvd. Continue across Capitol Blvd to the Capitol Building on Sid Snyder Ave SW (14th Ave becomes Sid Snyder Ave).

For more information, call the Department of General Administration’s Visitor Services office in the Legislative Building at (360) 586-3460.

Public transportation is also an option even after you've parked your car, and the local bus service (Intercity Transit) in Olympia offers many low-cost routes to the Capitol Campus and other state buildings. Intercity Transit also coordinates with connecting transportation systems in neighboring counties. Following are links to those public transit systems. If you have further questions about public transportation routes to the Capitol Campus or other state buildings, please contact the transit system as listed at the web site:

PicExportError
Department of TransportationIncludes options for getting around Washington State and points beyond

PicExportError
Grays Harbor Transitin Hoquiam, Washington

PicExportError
Intercity Transitin Olympia, Washington

PicExportError
Mason County Transportation Authorityin Shelton, Washington

PicExportError
Northwest Transit Links Includes information on ferry, air, rail and private bus links

PicExportError
Pierce Transit in Tacoma, Washington

PicExportError
Metro King County TRIP PLANNER

PicExportError
Sound Transit TRIP PLANNER

Detailed Map of Capitol Campus (PDF)
There are nine parking locations available for visitors to the Capitol:

1. Visitor Information Center Parking. Parking is available at the Visitor Information Center at 14th Avenue and Capitol Way. The charge is 50 cents per hour. For visitor parking information at other locations on the Capitol Campus grounds, please contact the state government Campus Parking Office at (360) 725-0030.

2. North and South Diagonal Parking. Located along the North and South Diagonal streets on the Capitol Campus. There is a 50¢ per hour charge.

3. General Administration Parking Garage (upper level) on the corner of 11th Avenue and Columbia Street. There is a 50¢ per hour charge.No SUVs, vans or trucks. These vehicles can park on the west side of the General AdministrationBuilding.

4. General Administration Building, located at 11th Avenue and Columbia Street. There are 35 visitor parking stalls on the west side (facing Capitol Lake) of the building. There is a 50¢ per hour charge.

5. Natural Resources P1 Parking Lot off Washington Street is metered parking.

6. Professional Arts Building at 11th Avenue and Washington Street.The 48-stall lot includes a meter that accepts payment with either a debit or credit card. The cost is 50 cents per hour. Free Dash shuttle service is also offered at this lot.

7. Capitol Campus Visitor Parking at Maple Park Avenue and Jefferson Street. Parking is 50 cents an hour.

8. Capitol Campus Visitor Parking at Farmers Market at the north end of Capitol Way (available January through March only). Parking is 50 cents an hour. Intercity Transit’s free Dash shuttle serves this lot every 12 minutes on weekdays, taking passengers between the Capitol Campus and downtown Olympia.

9. Deschutes Parkway. Intercity Transit serves Deschutes Parkway weekdays every 15 minutes. Other bus routes operate throughout the region and serve the Olympia Transit Center where passengers can transfer to Routes 12, 13, and 68 for service to the Capitol Campus. For route and schedule information, call (360) 786-1881 or visit http://www.intercitytransit.com. The fare is$1 for a single ride and $2 for an all-day pass. State employees working in Thurston County ride all Intercity Transit services free with a STAR Pass. Intercity Transit also operates a free Dash Shuttle along Capital Way between the Capitol campus and downtown Olympia. Service is every 12 minutes.

To Deschutes Parkway from I-5 Southbound: Take exit 103 and proceed on 2nd Avenue; turn left onto the Custer Way overpass; turn right on Boston, proceed downhill to Deschutes Parkway; turn right (north) onto the Parkway and proceed to the designated parking area along Capitol Lake.

To Deschutes Parkway from I-5 Northbound: Take exit 103 and proceed north on Deschutes Parkway through the stop sign to the designated parking area along Capitol Lake.

Persons with Disabilities: Those needing auxiliary aids or services for purposes of attending hearings or participating in other legislative activities should call the House of Representatives at (360) 786-7101 or the Senate at (360) 786-7400 for further information. TTY 1-800-635-9993.

Tour and Special Event Buses Tour/special events buses may not park on the Capitol Campus without prior approval from GA.* Load and unload on Columbia St., between 15th Ave. and Sid Snyder Ave. If full, the Winged Victory Monument traffic circle and South Diagonal can be used as a load/unload area. Once unloaded, park along Deschutes Parkway. At pickup time, please shut off the engine while waiting. Do not block 14th Ave. westbound waiting to enter the Capitol Campus. If traffic is backed-up entering the campus, go right on Capitol Way; then right on 11th Ave.; right on Jefferson St.; and then right again back on to 14th Ave.

Special Needs Buses that need special accommodations can drop off and load at the southeast corner of the Legislative Building. No waiting is allowed at this location and drivers must park in either handicapped parking or on Deschutes Parkway.

*GA Visitor Services Program
Legislative Bldg Room 111
(360) 902-8880
Capitol Campus Parking: http://www.ga.wa.gov/Park/visitor.htm

DEROS, You may want to post this to the blog I created for this event.

DEROS72

DEROS, You may want to post this to the blog I created for this event.

I will post this on the blog.I have been also working on something really cool that if comes through will be a huge surprise .Sort of ties in with the color guard I arranged this year:shocker::eek:

Also can I get some updated info on what folks can help out with as far as equipment etc. We will need everything from additional canopies to tables ,chairs,balloons,coolers,ice,bungies,right down to duct tape.

However I'll be there for Elisa's cookies,they rock!

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
I will post this on the blog.I have been also working on something really cool that if comes through will be a huge surprise .Sort of ties in with the color guard I arranged this year:shocker::eek:

Also can I get some updated info on what folks can help out with as far as equipment etc. We will need everything from additional canopies to tables ,chairs,balloons,coolers,ice,bungies,right down to duct tape.

However I'll be there for Elisa's cookies,they rock!

I have a canopy and 2 radios.

T

TWG2A

No rain!

I hope we have better weather this year! Last year, the weather was awful!

DEROS72

I'm bringing styling gel,mousse,hairspray #8 extra hold(not for ameteurs) we'll have combs various brushes.I don't think I have enough hairdryers for everyone.....

Oh wait thats a different rally:dude:

T

TWG2A

Lots of out-of-towners attending!

Hi guys. Just wanted to let you know there are a lot of people coming from out of town for this event. Grays Harbor, Vancouver, Portland, Salem, Eugene, Bremerton, Sequim, Spokane, Cour'dalene, Tenasket, Tri-Cities, Boise, MONTANA, and even a guy from CALIFORNIA!!! The facebook site for this event has several rsvp's, and one of them is from a gal in Oregon who makes some real nice holsters. She's going to have a table there showing some examples of her work. Beautiful stuff. Another woman coming from Edmonds who makes t-shirts, hats, patches and stickers/decals. She'll have a table showing examples of her work. Although we cannot sell products there, this will be a good way for them to advertise to our fellow Second Amendment Advocates!

It is time to send out some reminder emails. I'm sending out reminders to everyone on my email list later this evening and will be making some calls as well. Deros, you might want to post a reminder flyer on the front page of the blog. Even though flyers have been sent out, we should be reminding everyone (today and tomorrow) and telling them how AWESOME this year's event is going to be!

If I had to guess, I would guess we'll have 8 - 10 times more peope this year. AT LEAST!

Ooooooh Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

DEROS72

I have updated the blog .This Rally is going to be awesome! I will be sending out media packages today and tomorrow as well.Thanks TWG2A for getting the word out into those other market, having you on board makes all the difference.Bill and I will be on a road trip this weekend getting the word out to other areas and hitting the shops etc.

T

TWG2A

Apparently, there are people who think Gotleib is going to be there. There are old flyers going around that have his name on them.

T

TWG2A

Washington State Legislative issues

Someone is going to need to speak at the rally about current Washington State legislative issues. If there are petitions to sign and information to distribute regarding local issues, we should also have a table assigned specifically for that. Not sure if you've already identified that person, but I can think of a few who would do an amazing job getting people involved in the legislature there! (Gray!)