• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.357 vs .38 special

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I found them to be extremely accurate out of a 4" and would recommend them if you planned on pistol hunting. At 25 yds they are much more accurate than the Winchesterwhite boxI had been shooting, making tighter groups and producing less recoil.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Interceptor_Knight wrote:
Shot placement, penetration, expansion, bullet integrity. Energy has nothing to do with killing.
Au contraire. If that staement were true, a firearm would be unnecessary for defense, you could just throw a rock.

Kinetic energy does not wound. Temporary cavity does not wound. The much discussed "shock" of bullet impact is a fable and "knock down" power is a myth. The critical element is penetration. The bullet must pass through the large, blood bearing organs and be of sufficient diameter to promote rapid bleeding.

http://www.thegunzone.com/quantico-wounding.html

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The .357 produces too much flash/bang/recoil; a heavier revolver can absorb most of the recoil, but then you've got to carry a heavier revolver. A j frame in .357 is totally unmanageable to me. I prefer a S&W K frame model 64 .38 w/four inch barrel.