• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Additional magazines???

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I often carry extra guns, but almost never extra magazines. It's faster to pull a second gun than to reload the first, especially one handed. Plus if my right hand is injured I can draw a left side gun instead of the right side gun.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Guys, all I'm trying to say is that if you're going to carry a weapon, you need to be prepared to use it. That means knowing how it functions. And knowing how to draw it. Everything past that is just reinforcement. Just like carrying extra mags, it's a good idea for the just in case. And Mac, if you really are a NRA instructor with your own school, you know that to be fact.

Did I ever say it wasn't a good idea? And once again, extra magazines are being lumped in with a bunch of other stuff that has nothing to do with payload.

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

F350

Plastic floor plate? All my autos the plates are metal, was this a stock mag? If so did you send it back to Glock? I would be real mad if I had that happen to me.

Stock GLOCK mag with plastic floor plate; funny thing, I put it back together, loaded it up and never had anymore trouble with it. I marked both floor plate and mag body with some of the wife's fingernail polish so I never carried it again, but used it for practice, kept it loaded all the time; have no idea what happened.

PS-

A couple years later I was passing through Atlanta to see my folks and stopped by GLOCK with my G19 & G20 and about 30 mags total; they rebuilt both pistols and all mags for free.

When the tech brought everything back out he was laughing and said "Man you have shot the piss out of both guns, every part was worn so I replaced everything except the frame, slide and barrel". Even walked out with a nice stash of GLOCK goodies.

mobiushky

I often carry extra guns, but almost never extra magazines. It's faster to pull a second gun than to reload the first, especially one handed. Plus if my right hand is injured I can draw a left side gun instead of the right side gun.

Well someone isn't practicing single handed manipulation drills are they? LOL! Just messin.

I'd say it depends on what you practice. For me, I have my gun set-up for single handed manipulations and I regularly practice with both strong and weak hand to get familiar with clearing malfunctions and reloading. OF course, that's not to say it's better than a BUG, but I don't always have the comfort of having a BUG so I need to be fluent with my gun to be sure I can use it in all circumstances.

JamesB

I always carry extra mags.. Usually 4...

2 Standard Capacity (15 Rounds each) for my Glock 27sc (.40 Cal) in a double Mag Pouch...
2 for my BUG Taurus TCP (380 Cal). in a single Mag pouch (because they are small enough to fit)......

Nuff Said...

Outdoorsman1

Fixed it for ya.

ps, I know that is not the "standard" mag that comes with that gun. But the advantage of Glock is that the little guy can also accept the "standard" mag too.

Saxxon

1-2 Spares

Generally I have 1-2 spare mags on me. Not that its likely I need that many rounds, but for a variety of reasons I think its prudent.

First off, you don't know what the situation you might get caught in could be that forces you to defend yourself. It could be a riot, in which case you may wind up having to face multiple successive events where you are having to present or shoot to save your own ass. Having seen the LA Riots first hand, having had to go to work during the course of the riots, right in the middle of the affected area I can say with certainty that this is a possibility that looms before anyone in an urban area due to natural disaster or manmade foolishness.

Second, you don't know what the situation you might be faced with is. One attacker or several, in cover or in your face. I carry the mag & gun loaded with Glaser Silvertips, since its most likely (by probability) that I'd be facing a single attacker, in direct line of sight. Glasers minimize the over-penetration issue or missed rounds passing into structures where they could harm others. They aren't reputed to be very comfortable for the bad guy who gets hit with them either. My second magazine is loaded with JHPs - Corbon, Critical Duty, Black Talon-esque expanders, Buffalo Bore etc. These are expanding bullets, but they have a much higher penetration potential than a pre-fragmented round. If I am faced with a situation where I am forced to defend myself and wind up fighting someone in cover, I can swap mags for the heavier, more solid rounds. Chances are if I emptied the first mag its going to be a cover fight at that point if it is still going. If I have a third (depends on the rig I have on) its usually something like Critical Defense or Mag-Safe ammo, its more of a backup of the first with limited penetration ammo.

Third, someone mentioned magazine failure. This is a critical thing - if something can go wrong, it will do so at the most inconvenient time. A backup is prudent doctrine.

The carrying of extras also depends somewhat on the capacity of the firearm. A high capacity (15+) firearm is worth a full mag and a reload on a 1911 style firearm. Plenty of people say stuff about not needing that many, only one shot etc. That is macho chest thumping, when TSHTF its said to be true for most people that they will shoot like their worst day at the range with the adrenalin shakes & all.

But hey, look at NYPD - their finest can only hit 9 bystanders in 16 shots... Wonder how many it was hit the guy they were aiming at?

Last edited:

ooghost1oo

I always carry my firearm on the right hip (4 o'clock), and additional magazines on the left hip directly opposite.

When I'm carrying my larger pistol (very obviously OC'ing), I carry two extra mags in a double pouch (detachable molle, with snap closures), which I found after a long search for the perfect mag pouch for this gun.

When I carry my smaller pistol, I carry one extra mag on the other side in a small leather mag pouch, and since the mags are small, I could always carry more in my pocket(s) if I chose.

DamonK

When I carry either or both of my 1858 Remingtons, I always carry a spare cylinder for both!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

WalkingWolf

When I carry either or both of my 1858 Remingtons, I always carry a spare cylinder for both!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

I do too, also if I am carrying one of my percussion navies I carry a extra cylinder. Changing cylinders on the navies is almost as fast as the 58, I just have to make sure I have wedge tool in my pocket.

Boat Guy

At last! Revolvers!

Yes, I carry at least one spare mag, usually for my .45 XD, but that's usually cc'ing.
OC'ing I carry ... speedloaders (plural/multiple) in a pouch, or clips, usually in moonclip carriers. Oh yeah and speedstrips for the rimmed wheelguns. I buy the 8-round speedstrips even though all my wheelguns are six-shooters. One cartridge belt for the "Skeeter gun" has billets for ammo too.
To quote Clint Smith "Gunfights are usually won by the last round fired" I want to have enough ammo to win the fight, whether that's one round, a dozen or more.

DillonT

Thank you for clarifying. It was too easy to infer that you had experience in a "firefight," losing track of number of rounds, as a normal everyday legally-armed citizen. Because that's what this website is all about, and that's what this thread is about.

There is a big difference between warfare and OC.

I also disagree. What makes the average citizen on the streets any different than a soldier in Iraq or a cop on the beat? They all need to have a plan when they enter a location. They all fire rounds at an enemy if an engagement occurs. Only difference is clothing and style of weaponry.

AirborneVet

This is true, Situational awareness is required for everyday carry as well. From personal experience when SHTF the rule book goes right out the window. Only maintaining awareness and practicing for real life scenarios works. Just about all of my friends I OC with know what my actions would be and I would know theirs. We make a game out of it but we have the communication and a plan if something goes wrong. Sounds korny to some but it gets people thinking about WTF would I do in a real situation. As far as extra mags..as I said before, better have and not need than need and not have. Depending on where I'm going and who I'm with I'll carry 1-2(7rnd) extra for my 1911 and maybe 1 extra (18rnd)for my Beretta 92G.

Happy Xmas all and be safe!

colorado slick

I have a shoulder holster for my soon to be owned S&W M&P 40 what has the holster on the left side and pouches for 2 spare mags on the left... Do I need 2 extra mags? Not likely, but it's nice to have the counterweight to offset the pistol.

Grim, that depends on how well you shoot. It only takes one you know.''COLORADO SLICK

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'm still waiting to hear about one case where a civilian self-defense encounter needed a reload.

I'm tired of hearing how it's 'just like warfare on foreign soil.'

MainelyGlock

I always carry an extra in my jeans. On most jeans, there's that small pocket right above the larger one on the right hand side. I have no idea what it's for, but as a lefty it's perfect for an extra Glock magazine. It may be overkill, but, like with carrying in general, I'd rather have it just in case than not have it when I need it.