• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another College Shooting

crazydude6030

I responded to their post accordingly. They outlined all of the factors in their post, not me.

That you did. It just shows how different we think.

To me the blame is on one factor and one alone. The choice that person made to drink. The choice that person makes to drive. That person and that person alone is to blame. Nothing else

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is getting less and less about a college shooting and no longer worthy of appearing in the News and Political Alert sub-forums.

Back on topic please - subject to locking otherwise.

WalkingWolf

A bad point. In the best of cases, your example is a stretch.

Really? Do you remember the Columbine shooting and the national campaign against bullying in schools that resulted from it? Most of these individuals are different, seems it would work much better to eliminate diversity in schools than useless gun laws. In Adam Lanza's case he played violent video games for hours, should they be banned? Should allowing children to live in basements be banned? They are all factors.

You seem to be siding with Obama and his goons on mag capacity, and other infringements because they may be factors. You have made it clear, IMO, that you blame the guns. Well once we get the guns banned and it doesn't work~what next?

Beretta92FSLady

That you did. It just shows how different we think.

To me the blame is on one factor and one alone. The choice that person made to drink. The choice that person makes to drive. That person and that person alone is to blame. Nothing else

Oh, we are talking about Blame now. The individual is to blame--that's assuming the person isn't a hard-core alcoholic who would die if he hadn't consumed alcohol--basically, someone addicted to alcohol--that's assuming the individual has absolute choice in his decisions.

I agree, he likely chose to consume alcohol. Did he choose to get drunk; did he choose to drive...not so sure.

WalkingWolf

Oh, we are talking about Blame now. The individual is to blame--that's assuming the person isn't a hard-core alcoholic who would die if he hadn't consumed alcohol--basically, someone addicted to alcohol--that's assuming the individual has absolute choice in his decisions.

I agree, he likely chose to consume alcohol. Did he choose to get drunk; did he choose to drive...not so sure.

Must have been George W. Bush's fault...

Beretta92FSLady

Really? Do you remember the Columbine shooting and the national campaign against bullying in schools that resulted from it? Most of these individuals are different, seems it would work much better to eliminate diversity in schools than useless gun laws. In Adam Lanza's case he played violent video games for hours, should they be banned? Should allowing children to live in basements be banned? They are all factors.

You seem to be siding with Obama and his goons on mag capacity, and other infringements because they may be factors. You have made it clear, IMO, that you blame the guns. Well once we get the guns banned and it doesn't work~what next?

Firearms are a factor in the college shooting in Texas.

crazydude6030

Isn't that the point in solving the problem, finding the root cause? If we are to stop shootings such as this one how can you do that without assigning fault? Isn't this why we have debates about control?

Factors mean nothing. The person made a choice and a gun in use was a result of his choice, not a factor.

Beretta92FSLady

Isn't that the point in solving the problem, finding the root cause? If we are to stop shootings such as this one how can you do that without assigning fault? Isn't this why we have debates about control?

Factors mean nothing. The person made a choice and a gun in use was a result of his choice, not a factor.

Please, don't assume that's the point, for either side.

The assumption is that the individual made a choice. I reject that every act every person makes is a choice.

There are deeper social issue involved, IMO, than an armed society. Unfortunately, just like with the firearm debate, there is nothing substantive those in power are willing to muster-up to mitigate murder by firearm.

I'm going to compare apples and oranges by their roundishness: In Israel, you are sitting in a restaurant and a woman walks in with an AK-47 around her shoulder, sits down, orders tea--there are not the frequency of internal murder, that there are in the US. One could assert that the fact so many individuals carry functions as a coercive reminder not to murder by firearm; then again, one could argue that there are deeper social issues at play in the US, that lead to murder by firearm.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

The assumption is that the individual made a choice. I reject that every act every person makes is a choice.

There are deeper social issue involved, IMO, than an armed society. Unfortunately, just like with the firearm debate, there is nothing substantive those in power are willing to muster-up to mitigate murder by firearm.

In Virginia and other states there is. To not be convicted the action must either be justified or excuseable.

http://www.self-defender.net/virginia-self-defense-laws.htm

Beretta92FSLady

In Virginia and other states there is. To not be convicted the action must either be justified or excuseable.

http://www.self-defender.net/virginia-self-defense-laws.htm

I wasn't referring to mitigating circumstances.--I think that's what you're referring to. I could be wrong.

Sorry, I see what you're stating.

I agree, Law outlining Justified or Excusable murder by firearm can mitigate not Justified murder by firearm.

What I'm stating though, is that there ought to be substantive moves made that will mitigate the instances of murder by firearm (or any murder) committed, prior to the execution of Justified or Excusable murder.

Last edited:

crazydude6030

I didn't, that's why I had a question mark at the end of my statement.

In this case there was a clear choice made. Two people in a verbal fight and someone made a choice to escalate it. That was a choice. The shooting a result.

Freedom1Man

So, what drugs was the shooter using?

I don't think anyone cares, this is a more relevant question than MOST anything else posted thus far.

Let's get back on topic. What drugs was the shooter on? Prozac, Zoloft, Xanax, something else? Was the shooter detoxing from any prescribed drugs such as those already mentioned?

Beretta92FSLady

I didn't, that's why I had a question mark at the end of my statement.

In this case there was a clear choice made. Two people in a verbal fight and someone made a choice to escalate it. That was a choice. The shooting a result.

Now all we need to do is figure out what escalated it, and whether or not it was an escalation.

I hear through the vine than there is a second suspect being looked for.

crazydude6030

Now all we need to do is figure out what escalated it, and whether or not it was an escalation.

I hear through the vine than there is a second suspect being looked for.

Its not a what its a who. Gotta put the blame on the persons not an object