• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-gun public meeting @ Westfield HS Lecture Hall (28 FEB 7 PM); empty holsters + ammo, anyone?

Tomahawk

imported post

You could write a term paper picking apart and analyzing some the stuff Sollo, and for that matter Goddard said.

Apart from the misinformation and lies, there was the language. Sollo stated that one of the problems is that "we" make guns available by "allowing" gun shows like the giant Chantilly gunshow, with row upon row of assault weapons. Paraphrasing him, do "we" really want to make guns this easy to get? All this "we" stuff. As though your rights only exist depending on what "we" think. This mentality is why arguing with hard-core antis is a waste of time; you're not gonna make headway with someone like this.

Also, he called for (of course) "closing the gunshow loophole".

stryth

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
You could write a term paper picking apart and analyzing some the stuff Sollo, and for that matter Goddard said.

Apart from the misinformation and lies, there was the language. Sollo stated that one of the problems is that "we" make guns available by "allowing" gun shows like the giant Chantilly gunshow, with row upon row of assault weapons. Paraphrasing him, do "we" really want to make guns this easy to get? All this "we" stuff. As though your rights only exist depending on what "we" think. This mentality is why arguing with hard-core antis is a waste of time; you're not gonna make headway with someone like this.

Also, he called for (of course) "closing the gunshow loophole".
And Goddard mentioned how none of the gun control individuals he's ever met want to take guns away, and then immediately retracted it by saying that he thinks .50 cal rifles should be.

I don't look at it as the "we" mentality, but instead the public safety perspective. Most of these groups I see putting forth "This particular evil feature is a danger to society and should be banned." Of course they focus on the particular traits of different ones. Anything large is "high powered" and anything small is "easily concealable." All they do then is tack on a description of some shadowy figure like "sniper", "gangbager", etc.

For example, "I don't see why anyone needs a high-powered .50 caliber sniper rifle which can kill indiscriminantly at over a mile especially considering that you can't see the face of your victim at that range." Please note that this is a loose paraphrase of what Mr. Goddard said last night.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

unrequited wrote:
Jim Sollo was in top form as usual. You didn't miss much besides a couple low-blow insults directed at the "nice gentlemen in the crowd". Best phrase of the night?

"white male hero complex" (referring to CHP holders)
"WHITE male hero complex" ??? So this guy has exposed himself as a psychobabbling pseudo-analyst AND a crypto-racist ! Too bad someone didn't ask him what being white has to do with carrying a firearm for protection......

Tomahawk

imported post

wchiang wrote:
Was there room for discussion?

They took questions, but our group didn't ask any. One guy on the other side of the auditorium stood up and called Solo on some of his BS; his was the only question from someone who was obviously pro-gun. Other questions were either somewhat anti or not directly gun-related.

Afterwards, unrequited and nakedshoplifter and stryth walked up and talked to Dr. DePue and his wife for waaay too long, as bohdi and I waited by the door and starved for want of a late supper.

eat.gif

Tomahawk

imported post

stryth wrote:
For example, "I don't see why anyone needs a high-powered .50 caliber sniper rifle which can kill indiscriminantly at over a mile especially considering that you can't see the face of your victim at that range." Please note that this is a loose paraphrase of what Mr. Goddard said last night.

I don't think anyone needs a red shirt. So there should be a law banning red shirts.

Didn't you know that our Constitution has a hidden clause which says,

"The people may only possess those items which they need. This need shall be determined soley by other people who want to ban said items."

Tomahawk

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
unrequited wrote:
Jim Sollo was in top form as usual. You didn't miss much besides a couple low-blow insults directed at the "nice gentlemen in the crowd". Best phrase of the night?

"white male hero complex" (referring to CHP holders)
"WHITE male hero complex" ??? So this guy has exposed himself as a psychobabbling pseudo-analyst AND a crypto-racist ! Too bad someone didn't ask him what being white has to do with carrying a firearm for protection......

This phrase was his answer to a question about an "empty holster day" being staged by Students for Concealed Carry on various college campuses in the near future. Sollo stated that this was a white male hero complex, the idea that if I carry it'll be like the movies and the bad guys will shoot at me and miss me like in the movies, and I'll heroically take 'em out and save the day and have a parade. He said it's common to white males.

Given that one member of our group was sitting in front of me and carrying an open holster, and who is not by the conventional defintion "white", I thought that was a pretty wierd (and somewhat offensive) thing for Sollo to say.

Neplusultra

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Given that one member of our group was sitting in front of me and carrying an open holster, and who is not by the conventional defintion "white", I thought that was a pretty wierd (and somewhat offensive) thing for Sollo to say.
My first thought was that I would have blurted out, "Damn! I forgot my red cape!" :^). And if they called me on it I would have replied that I didn't come to the meeting to be insulted by an idiot.

unrequited

imported post

Almost nothing except to interject that in a "active shooter situation" once they finally got there, any CHP holders or well any armed citizens putting up a resistance would only serve to provide confusion and possible danger ot the police and the citizens alike.

stryth

imported post

unrequited wrote:
Almost nothing except to interject that in a "active shooter situation" once they finally got there, any CHP holders or well any armed citizens putting up a resistance would only serve to provide confusion and possible danger ot the police and the citizens alike.
I don't buy that argument. Not only is it unlikely that weapons will still be drawn when officers arrive at the scene 5-10 minutes after the incident has ended, those officers must be prepared to enter a situation where a number of answers simply aren't known. Is the individual holding the gun an officer in plainclothes, a citizen acting defensively, or a perpetrator? If the individual in plainclothes not only fails to follow officer instructions but makes overtly threatening motions (bringing a weapon to bear on the officer) then the individual is a threat.

I don't know about anyone else but in the few instances I've had an officers attention on me I've kept my hands in plain sight, moved slowly, and called him by his name: Sir. Doesn't seem too complicated to me.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Watching that Q & A session made me want to barf.

Throwing shoes at a gunman is ok, but actually defending your life(and others)with an evilgun is not?

Wishing you could strangle a gunman is ok, but actually doing something is not?

It's better that your child dieby the bullet of a gunman rather than take the chance that someone shooting at that gunman might accidentally hit your child? That one makes a lot of sense.

You would rather your child die than to take a chance on confusing the police when they show up?

You would rather your child die at the hands of a gunmanthan have someone thatwants to take their own lifebe able to?

It just pisses me off.....

Tomahawk

imported post

Notso wrote:
It just pisses me off.....

I was in the room, and I found it tough to keep my trap shut.

That argument about the cops being confused by an armed citizen is pure BS. So I guess I'm better off being unarmed when some guy comes into my classroom or workplace and starts blazing away, because I don't want my perforated carcass to confuse the "professionals".

Screw any cop who thinks that way.

Marco

imported post

Screw anyone who thinks that way:exclaim::exclaim::exclaim::exclaim::exclaim::exclaim:

The anti's arguments are just lame.
You're much better off allowing yourself to be victimized then defending yourself. NOT!
I would've had a hard time
smile_zipit.gif

Thanks for the links, since I missed it.

Edit:
typo's:banghead:

Gene Beasley

imported post

Wow, I finally get it!

I'm just a white male suffering from hero fantasies/delusions and I'll probably end up in a hospital bed - all shot up - if I should survive.

Thanks to thatgentleman at the end of the table for pointing that out and setting me on the right path.

Really though, had I been there, I don't think I could have asked a question. I don't enjoy talking to morons, orsanctimonious dweebs that couldn't find a clue if hit them in the head.

icon_puke.gif

bohdi

imported post

The local rag the centreview finally did a fairly accurate and unbiased, unemotional filled report on something, this meeting. Most of the remarks that are inflamitory are made by our friend Jim Sollo, but that's seen on the videos that Naked and I shared so it's not a surprise that they quoted him.

http://tinyurl.com/238kj3