• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arrest and Dismissal of Disorderly Conduct Charges for Open Carry

Rich B

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
The only thing that might have made your case stronger Rich would have been an audio recording of your conversations that in the establishment.

I have heard that many times before, but it is not practical when in the real world. These situations happen too quickly and when the police arrest you on sight, you don't have a lot of options to reach a voice recorder and turn it on.

There was video taken in the pool hall that night, but it mysteriously was destroyed after Officer Flood's visit on 5/17. That video would have proved my point just fine, but luckily it turns out I didn't need it all. After all, the burden of proof was not on me.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Rich B wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
The only thing that might have made your case stronger Rich would have been an audio recording of your conversations that in the establishment.
I have heard that many times before, but it is not practical when in the real world. These situations happen too quickly and when the police arrest you on sight, you don't have a lot of options to reach a voice recorder and turn it on.

There was video taken in the pool hall that night, but it mysteriously was destroyed after Officer Flood's visit on 5/17. That video would have proved my point just fine, but luckily it turns out I didn't need it all. After all, the burden of proof was not on me.
Each person has to make that decision for themselves. I carry one 24/7 except for showers and when sleeping - it is on me now at home. In the last three years, it has solved problems for me twice.

That's all hind sight regarding your situation anyway - good luck on your follow through.

Yata hey

Rich B

imported post

Tazman2 wrote:
Same would have happened with the voice recorder. The cops would have found it during their search and either taken it or destroyed it! :X

That is assuming you have time to use it in the first place. I wasn't expecting Mr. Vanaman's attack, and there was no conversation involved, it was just immediate verbal abuse. There was no way I could have known that day that I would need the voice recorder on.

Again, I open carry all the time, everywhere, so I would need to have the voice recorder on all the time. That is 'doable', but not something I am in the habit of yet.

I do carry one now, just in case, but we will see about the usefulness of it.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Rich B wrote:
It is hard to get used to carrying it and turningthe recorderon. Sometimes I'll have it on and I'll accidently push the lock out switch so the unit will stop recording. Sometimes I'll forget and leave it recording overnight. In anyevent having a recorder just in case is better than not having one at all. Sometimes I forget mine and everytime I do something happens where I wish I had it.

Thundar

imported post

Rich B wrote:
Tazman2 wrote:
Same would have happened with the voice recorder. The cops would have found it during their search and either taken it or destroyed it! :X

That is assuming you have time to use it in the first place. I wasn't expecting Mr. Vanaman's attack, and there was no conversation involved, it was just immediate verbal abuse. There was no way I could have known that day that I would need the voice recorder on.

Again, I open carry all the time, everywhere, so I would need to have the voice recorder on all the time. That is 'doable', but not something I am in the habit of yet.

Modern voice recordersrecord all day. Turn it on when you leave your house and forget about it. It is a very, very effective tool to deal with the LEO who says "The law is what I say it is." Turning off or destroying the recorder is evidence tampering and can get a LEO in massive trouble. Most eventually learn that hassling OCers is more dangerous to their future employment and financial security than it is to their safety.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tazman2 wrote:
There are those that will download to a remote location.

MP3 players that most forget will record too.

Yata hey

gluegun

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Modern voice recorders record all day.  Turn it on when you leave your house and forget about it.
Just make sure you don't cross the CT border into MA or NY. It's considered wiretapping if you don't have permission from ALL parties. Rhode Island is ok though.

Rich B

imported post

gluegun wrote:
Just make sure you don't cross the CT border into MA or NY. It's considered wiretapping if you don't have permission from ALL parties. Rhode Island is ok though.

If you crossed the border while OCing into MA or NY from CT I think the least of your problems will be the arrest for 'wiretapping'.

gluegun

imported post

Rich B wrote:
gluegun wrote:

If you crossed the border while OCing into MA or NY from CT I think the least of your problems will be the arrest for 'wiretapping'.
True, but even a compact gun is harder to forget about than a tiny audio recorder. Anyway, I suppose I'm off topic so I'll stop now. :)

beanoboy7

imported post

Rich. I want to say thank you.

I spoke with three Meriden cops this morning and asked if open carry is legal or illegal and two of them stated it's legal and mentioned your incident.

Word is getting around and it's great that this took place in Wallingford as their Cheif is the head of the CT Police Cheif Council.

Carry On!

Rich B

imported post

beanoboy7 wrote:
I spoke with three Meriden cops this morning and asked if open carry is legal or illegal and two of them stated it's legal and mentioned your incident.

Wow, that is very good to hear indeed. Thank you for letting me know.

Glad to hear my aggravation has had some effect on the ignorant/misinformed.

Nice that you also were able to invoke communication between the three officers so that the third uneducated officer is now educated. One by one, we are winning the war against ignorance.

Edward Peruta

Transcript obtained under FOI from Wallingford Police

Tape transcription of telephone calls and radio transmissions through dispatch. IA #2010-0014.

DISPATCHER MOROS: Wallingford Police and Fire, Dispatcher Moros.

MARK VANAMAN: Hi my name is Mark. I’m down here at Yale Billiards in the Yale Plaza and I have a gentleman out here that’s walking around with his, with his gun exposed. With his weapon exposed and he has no badge or anything else like that, that, that would make anybody think he’s law enforcement or anything else.

DISPATCHER MOROS: In Yale Plaza?

MARK VANAMAN: Yeah, right, sitting right out in front of Yale Billiards. I asked him if he was gonna cover his weapon and he told me it was none of my business, he didn’t need to.

DISPATCHER MOROS: Can you give me a description of the man?

MARK VANAMAN: Yeah he’s about 5’7” about…

DISPATCHER MOROS: Is he white?

MARK VANAMAN: Yeah he’s white. About 260 lbs., long hair in a ponytail with a mustache and goatee. He’s sitting there, he’s waiting for ya. I told him I was gonna call if you, if he didn’t um, cover it.

DISPATCHER MOROS: Can you tell me what he’s wearing?

MARK VANAMAN: Yep. He’s wearing a blue t-shirt and, and greenish, gray shorts with sneakers on.

DISPATCHER MOROS: And he has a firearm?

MARK VANAMAN: Yep. On his right side with two magazines on it and uh, uh, magazine holder in the back. And I know you’re not supposed to carry it especially in a, in a place that has alcohol.

DISPATCHER MOROS: Your name?

MARK VANAMAN: My name is Mark.

DISPATCHER MOROS: Last name?

MARK VANAMAN: With a, with K. And the last name is Vanaman. V as in Victor, A-N-A-M-A-N.

DISPATCHER MOROS: And he’s outside of the Billiards?

MARK VANAMAN: Yeah because the owner asked him to leave and at first he gave the owner big balls about it and told, telling him he could do it and he could wear it like that and everything else.

DISPATCHER MOROS: What’s he, what’s the…

MARK VANAMAN: I mean I car, I carry a weapon myself, I’m a bail bondsman and a bail enforcement agent as well.

DISPATCHER MOROS: What’s your telephone number?

MARK VANAMAN: Which number, mine?

DISPATCHER MOROS: Yeah the number we can contact you at?

MARK VANAMAN: (203) 537-9030. Well I’ll be standing outside.

DISPATCHER MOROS: Does he have a, does he have a vehicle or anything?

MARK VANAMAN: Um, I think he does, but he’s sitting out front, he has, he’s got a woman with him too, she went to a car and then came back with some piece of paper.

DISPATCHER MOROS: And you’re in the Yale Plaza?

MARK VANAMAN: Yes right in front of Yale Billiards.

DISPATCHER MOROS: 950 Yale Ave.?

MARK VANAMAN: Yes.

DISPATCHER MOROS: Okay. All right let me get uh, some officers out there for ya, okay?

MARK VANAMAN: All right thank you.

DISPATCHER MOROS: All right bye.

MARK VANAMAN: Bye.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: Wallingford Police and Fire, Dispatcher Sevelowitz.

ROBERT HILTON: Hi this uh, my name is Robert Hilton I’m calling from Yale Billiards in Wallingford, CT.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: Yep.

ROBERT HILTON: Um, there’s a gentleman here that has a gun on him, a 9mm (inaudible) and uh, he’s just carrying it, and I went up to him in my place of business and then, and he started telling me that it’s perfectly legal you know and stuff so, I’d actually asked him to leave because he made some customers uncomfortable and he’s waiting outside. I think somebody else has already called the police on this issue.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: Yeah my partner’s on with somebody else right now.

ROBERT HILTON: Okay.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: He’s out front still?

ROBERT HILTON: He, he’s outside waiting, yep.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: All right well, just tell me what he’s wearing.

ROBERT HILTON: Um, I think he’s wearing a black shirt with uh, hold on one second it has, he, he gave me the, what’s it, CCDL on it, the shirt. A black shirt with a CCDL carry on. That’s what it says on it, it’s actually like a, uh, Connecticut Citizens Defense League.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: Okay.

ROBERT HILTON: Okay? Um, and he’s with a, uh, they’re both kinda heavy uh, he’s got a long ponytail and he’s with his girlfriend that’s a little heavy with blond hair.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: Okay. We’re, we’re gonna get some guys out there, okay?

ROBERT HILTON: All right is there anything I should do or just?

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: Uh just keep an eye on him, I mean if he gets in a car or leaves, try and get a license plate and let us know and give us a call back.

ROBERT HILTON: Okay.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: Um.

ROBERT HILTON: All right good cuz I uh, I would like to try find out this issue in case this ever happens again, I could really, I mean I kind, I, what I did is I told him let me just calm down, I was actually gonna call you and then one of my customers made a scene about it, so, that’s what happened. You know, (inaudible) cuz he’s trying to tell me it is, it, it’s legal and I’m like, I don’t think that’s legal, but.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: Nah, I don’t, I….

ROBERT HILTON: We’ll figure it out, all right thanks, I appreciate it.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: They’re on their way, okay?

ROBERT HILTON: All right thanks.

DISPATCH: 2-5 and 2-6.

OFFICER GARCIA: 2-5 North Colony and Cherry.

OFFICER GONZALEZ: 2-6 South Elm (inaudible)

DISPATCH: Both of you, it’s 950 Yale Ave., 9-5-0 Yale Ave. Yale Plaza fronting Yale Bill, Billiards. It’s gonna be for a 3006. States there’s a white male, 5’7”, 260 lbs. mustache, goatee, long hair, blue t-shirt, green shorts, (inaudible) has a firearm exposed and he’s refusing to conceal it, pacing back and forth in front of the Billiards. 950 Yale Ave. 3006 cross is North Colony, North Main Extension.

OFFICER GARCIA: 2-5 roger.

OFFICER GONZALEZ: 2-6 (inaudible).

LT. MARTINO: Units responding um, take up an area to uh, observe and standby for 1-2 to arrive.

OFFICER GARCIA: 2-5 copy.

OFFICER GONZALEZ: 2-6 copy.

OFFICER FLOOD: 2-4 copy.

OFFICER FRAENZA: 2-3 copy.

OFFICER FLOOD: 2-4 to 2-5.

OFFICER GARCIA: 2-5 go ahead.

OFFICER FLOOD: Are you coming in from Route 5 side or North Main Extension?

OFFICER GARCIA: 72 from Route 5.

OFFICER FLOOD: Roger. Coming in from North Main Extension.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: 1-2.

DISPATCH: 1-2.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: Still on the line with the caller?

DISPATCH: Negative. We received a call from the owner inside and a caller outside as well.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: Roger. Do we know uh, what vehicle this guy came in?

DISPATCH: Negative at this time. The owner is watching him from inside and stated he’ll call us if he sees anything.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: Roger.

OFFICER FRAENZA: 2-3 calling.

DISPATCH: 2-3.

OFFICER FRAENZA: All units 72 in the area.

DISPATCH: Roger.

I think he’s going (inaudible.)

Subject sitting in front of Yale Billiards. He didn’t point the firearm at anyone.

Roger.

OFFICER FLOOD: A possible name Richard Vargas out of Branford. See if we have anything in house.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: 1-2.

DISPATCH: 1-2.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: 72.

DISPATCH: 2-4.

OFFICER FLOOD: 799PFX. That’s 799. Papa, Frank uh, X-ray.

DISPATCH: Units at Yale Billiards be advised the subject is sitting in the first booth to the left of the main entrance. He’s sitting with a blond woman, curly hair.

Roger.

DISPATCH: 1-2 we have the owner on the line still. We’ll keep you updated.

(Inaudible)

SGT. COLAVOLPE: 1-2 can you uh find out from the owner exactly where he’s sitting right now.

LT. MARTINO: He’s apparently sitting on a bench right to the left of Yale Billiards.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: Okay we got him.

LT. MARTINO: Is he secured?

SGT. COLAVOLPE: (inaudible) come to the front, we have him detained.

OFFICER GARCIA: 2-5.

DISPATCH: 2-5.

OFFICER GARCIA: Check out 207 271 537. 207 271 537.

DISPATCH: Negative file 05, valid Richard Vargas.

Roger you want a (inaudible) on this don’t you?

OFFICER FRAENZA: 2-3 calling.

DISPATCH: Go ahead.

OFFICER FRAENZA: (Inaudible) 147 000 552. 147 000 552.

DISPATCH: Valid negative file 05, Anna Marie.

OFFICER FRAENZA: Roger.

DISPATCH: 2-5.

OFFICER GARCIA: 2-5. Go ahead.

DISPATCH: Negative SPRC. One domestic violence charge out of Ohio.

OFFICER GARCIA: Roger.

LT. MARTINO: All units, signal 88 is cancelled. Signal 88 is cancelled. You can resume regular radio transmissions.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: 1-1 to 1-2.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: 1-2 to 1-1.

LT. MARTINO: Go ahead.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: What extension are you at?

LT. MARTINO: I’m at the desk.

2-1: 2-1.

DISPATCH: 2-1.

2-1: 73.

DISPATCH: 2-2.

2-2: South Colony and Northfield.

DISPATCH: 4 Mellor Road. 4 Mellor Road. Speak to Rhonda, states there’s a raccoon walking around by the house, looks like its sick. 4 Mellor Road, cross Kondracki and Bernadette.

ROBERT HILTON: Sitting there with his, with his arms crossed I believe, you know he’s got a long ponytail, and the girl’s sitting all the way to the left and he’s sitting one over. Yeah he’s sitting there with his, his arms crossed and he’s holding his paperwork, his uh, the whatever I told you it was before.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: Do you have pretty much a, uh, do you have a pretty good view of him right now?

ROBERT HILTON: Uh yeah I can see him right now. I’m, I’m, I’m standing right behind him, he can’t really see me there’s a curtain there.

ROBERT HILTON: And I have cameras in here, I mean I got a good picture of him when he was in here, but, that doesn’t help right now. I don’t have a camera outside. But yeah I can see him.

ROBERT HILTON: And he’s sitting, like I said his hands are crossed and he’s got, in his, in his right hand on his left side of his body he’s holding the paperwork, the same flyer that he gave me.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: Okay what side of him is his weapon on?

ROBERT HILTON: Um, I believe its his right; I’m not one percent positive.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: It was on his right side?

ROBERT HILTON: I’m not one hundred percent positive. I’m pretty sure it is though.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: Okay. All right so you’re saying if you’re looking at the Billiards, he’s sitting to the left of the entrance, correct?

ROBERT HILTON: In the (inaudible) yeah it’s correct.

ROBERT HILTON: Yep.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: You’re telling me, he’s, he’s outside in front of the door?

ROBERT HILTON: That’s correct. He has a goatee; he’s waving at you now. Or waving at, I, I believe he’s waving at somebody.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: Okay. When you say booth, is on like a, is it a bench?

ROBERT HILTON: It’s a bench, yes. It’s a bench with a smoke, there’s a smoke thing out there. There’s two benches on either side, on both sides.

ROBERT HILTON: And he’s on the one to the left.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: Okay. He’s on the one on the left. All right we’re just letting the officers know because there are officers out there.

ROBERT HILTON: Yep absolutely.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: So.

ROBERT HILTON: He’s wave, he’s uh I think he’s waving or pointing to me, to the officers, I’m not sure. I can’t really, yeah, yep, he’s, he’s talking to the officer, he’s pointing to him right now. He, he.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: He’s talking to the officers now?

ROBERT HILTON: Yeah he’s still sitting.

ROBERT HILTON: The, there’s three of them. There’s three of them here now.

ROBERT HILTON: Yep. They’re taking his gun out of his holster now.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: All right. What is your name?

ROBERT HILTON: Uh, Robert Hilton.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: Robert Hilton?

ROBERT HILTON: Yep.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: All right (cuts out)

ROBERT HILTON: Yeah the officers probably won’t be able to help me with this, I mean, is it, is it.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: Do you have a cell phone number or like a number we can reach you at if you’re not at the establishment?

ROBERT HILTON: Yes I do.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: What is it?

ROBERT HILTON: It’s (203).

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: Is this a cell or home?

ROBERT HILTON: Cell phone. (203).

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: Uh-huh.

ROBERT HILTON: 631.

DISPATCHER SEVELOWITZ: Uh-huh.

ROBERT HILTON: 2428.

LT. MARTINO: Hello.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: Hey are you familiar with uh, they amended the statute so you’re able to open carry in public?

LT. MARTINO: What, uh, where’s that? Where’s that written?

SGT. COLAVOLPE: That’s what I’m asking you.

LT. MARTINO: I don’t know anything about that.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: Oh yeah, neither do I.

LT. MARTINO: It’s a concealed, it’s a concealed weapons permit.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: Yeah that’s what I said.

LT. MARTINO: Let me, but I have an application right here. Let me look. Hold on.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: See if it’s been changed.

LT. MARTINO: Yeah hold on.

LT. MARTINO: Hey.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: Yeah.

LT. MARTINO: Wright said there was something in the legislature about some guy, some NRA attorney that wanted to argue this statute. It says, it’s saying that it doesn’t say it has to be concealed, it says you have to have a permit to carry and I guess he, I guess he won the argument. The problem is, and like the idea with Bill Wright is, just because it’s, just because they may interpret it that way doesn’t mean you can walk into a bar with your gun out and then refuse to conceal it and then walk around outside with your gun out. So we need to charge, we need to charge him with the breach.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: Absolutely, he’s already under arrest for beach.

LT. MARTINO: Yeah at least and uh, you know, I, I would even take it a step further and maybe come back in and call uh, the state police and maybe talk to one of the guys in the know there.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: Yep.

LT. MARTINO: And see what their position on it is.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: Yeah.

LT. MARTINO: But uh.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: Well absolutely, at a minimum the breach because he caused a disturbance down here.

LT. MARTINO: Right.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: Every, everybody’s freaking out.

LT. MARTINO: Right, oh no absolutely.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: Okay.

LT. MARTINO: Yeah okay.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: I’ll see you shortly.

LT. MARTINO: Always fun and games.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: Oh yeah.

LT. MARTINO: Bye.

SGT. COLAVOLPE: Bye.

cbnlnk121

DISPATCH: 4 Mellor Road. 4 Mellor Road. Speak to Rhonda, states there’s a raccoon walking around by the house, looks like its sick. 4 Mellor Road, cross Kondracki and Bernadette.

Sorry but LOL .. Just read through it and that was random so I laughed.

On a serious note, this is why I personally haven't yet carried open expect at home or the ranges I shoot.
Most my friends have no issues with OC but I do get a lot of questions as to why I do carry period. One day I will OC all over but still too touchy for the public.

Is it wierd that I have no problem it my weapon 'prints' but can't get myself to OC everywhere I'm allowed?

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
It is amazing the ignorance of the cops. Sure, they may have been nice afcter they realized they just broke the law by arresting someone who didn't break the law but they need to be taught not to arrest without RAS or PC that a crime has been committed.

Superlite27

Any updates on this incident?

What has become of the formal complaint? Was it formally filed and formally closed in the formal file cabinet where it has become formally forgotten?

A couple of questions I would like to see the local D.A. answer if anyone would care to ask him/her:

I wonder what the answer would be to question #1) "What, exactly, does the law say under under "false arrest/illegal detainment"?

If the actions of the police in this incident meet the grounds that the D.A. has quoted you as being on the books, how does question #2) "Since the officers violated these very stipulations that you have quoted, why aren't charges being filed?" get answered?

After all, if Rich can get picked up and tossed in the slammer for NOT breaking the law, why should others NOT be tossed in the slammer FOR breaking the law? How does this work?

Might as well get the D.A.'s answer to this one too.

Rich B

Any updates on this incident?

We just got hold of the transcript of police dispatch which they had held back from us, just like the other witness statement transcript. That discussion is here:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...anscript-of-an-arrest-from-Wallingford-Police

What has become of the formal complaint?

Myself and my girlfriend who was there that night were just interviewed at the beginning of the month.

Was it formally filed and formally closed in the formal file cabinet where it has become formally forgotten?

I am sure that will be the outcome considering the Lt. Martino in the transcript who is one of the officers who the complaint is about is the person investigating my complaint.

A couple of questions I would like to see the local D.A. answer if anyone would care to ask him/her:

I wonder what the answer would be to question #1) "What, exactly, does the law say under under "false arrest/illegal detainment"?

If the actions of the police in this incident meet the grounds that the D.A. has quoted you as being on the books, how does question #2) "Since the officers violated these very stipulations that you have quoted, why aren't charges being filed?" get answered?

After all, if Rich can get picked up and tossed in the slammer for NOT breaking the law, why should others NOT be tossed in the slammer FOR breaking the law? How does this work?

Might as well get the D.A.'s answer to this one too.

Yep. That certainly is on my mind as well. I am also sure that is what has the PD on the defensive to the point where during my complaint interview they were actually aggressive and tried to bait me into ridiculous statements.

Rich B

It is amazing the ignorance of the cops. Sure, they may have been nice afcter they realized they just broke the law by arresting someone who didn't break the law but they need to be taught not to arrest without RAS or PC that a crime has been committed.

Well, they may have been polite, but they still charged me with a crime I didn't commit, so their kindness in person does not go far.

Edward Peruta

Let's hope that Wallingford gets it right

Regardless of what occurred to Rich B., we all need to pay attention to what is going to happen.

Wallingford Police Department has a window of time and an oppurtunity to do the right thing and prevent incidents like this from happening in the future.

I can assure you that that things went wrong on the evening of May 16th and if Wallingford can't find and address the mistakes, then they may have to be addressed by someone else.

I can assure you that several attorneys have now read the documents and transcripts of this incident and interest is building.

The ball is in Wallingford's court.