• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bellingham police draw down on Open Carrier

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
SVGs settlement with the BPD required them to
"The City of Bellingham police department will develop and issue a training bulletin substantially similar to those issued by various other agencies around the state on the topic of open carry of a firearm in Washington State. Such training bulletin will comport with constitutional law, state law, police safety, and police best practices, and will be issued within three (3) weeks of this agreement being fully signed."

I requested a copy of said document from the Chief of police and received this. It was published on 30 NOV 10, even tho it is not marked as such. It was approved by the city atty and dep chief david dole, even tho it is not marked as such. As of 10 Jan 12, no training has been conducted in reference to this "training bulletin". Bellingham police department policy(and I quote from CoP T Ramsey) "Does not require officers to read the training bulletins."

Metalhead47

". Bellingham police department policy(and I quote from CoP T Ramsey) "Does not require officers to read the training bulletins."

Now this right here is a great big crock o brown stinky stuff. Anyone else here have a job where you're not required to read TRAINING BULLETINS?? I sure don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Re training bulletins - Instructions should indicate: Read and conform with the letter and intent.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
update

The BPD complaint form, with details of the incident were delivered.
One copy to BPD rec'd 0932 - 14FEB12
One copy to Mayors office rec'd 0912 - 15FEB12

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Update...update

BPD contacted me by telephone today. I now have an appointment with LT Vandertyacht, wednesday the 29th. He offered to meet at a neutral location (don't laugh, it's a donut shop)

Well I guess it will really start when we sit down and start talking about it.

Metalhead47

BPD contacted me by telephone today. I now have an appointment with LT Vandertyacht, wednesday the 29th. He offered to meet at a neutral location (don't laugh, it's a donut shop)

You're meeting a cop in a donut shop? That's either a setup or the makings of a really bad joke. Exercise extreme caution. Trust no one.

protias

How many plain dress unis will be there? :p

sudden valley gunner

Good, have a productive conversation but insist that this incident be on the officers record.
'

If it goes like it did last time they will make excuses and rationalizations for the officers illegal and dangerous behavior, have all those shot down by logic and reason. They will try to get personal info fruitlessly from us and then the case will proceed with lawyers.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I offered to meet at the BPD, or Starbucks, the Lt wanted to meet at the donut shop. The humor of it to too hard to resist.

The idea the Lt did not want to meet at BPD is odd and makes one wonder if this is just an attempt to sweep it under the rug sort of speak, second have you or others opened carried at this donut shop where you are meeting? Never know they may not be open carry friendly? which would set the mood to less then favorable for you anyways.

amlevin

'

If it goes like it did last time they will make excuses and rationalizations for the officers illegal and dangerous behavior, have all those shot down by logic and reason. They will try to get personal info fruitlessly from us and then the case will proceed with lawyers.

Remind the Lt. that the first time can be a mistake. The second time, especially after having settled on a complaint for the same type of actions, can be construed as a pattern.