• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California legislator seeks to ban even limited right to open carry UNLOADED handguns

pullnshoot25

imported post

MudCamper wrote:
cato wrote:
If you want to see this pass just keep UOCing (not the Right) and talking to the media inspiring the antis to action.

They control the legislature and the media.  We are out of our league until case law is on our side.
I have to disagree with you on most of this cato. The legislators do not control the media. While irrational fear-mongering media certainly can contribute to the legislature passing bad law, there's no control there. And many of the news stories we've been getting lately have been quite favorable. Plus with the onslaught of national attention that Open Carry is getting these days, stories will be published with or without our contribution. I've come around to believing that it is better to try and help the media get it's story straight rather then just let them publish the nonsense they usually doll out when it comes to 2A issues.

Politicians don't give a shit about favorable.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
MudCamper wrote:
cato wrote:
If you want to see this pass just keep UOCing (not the Right) and talking to the media inspiring the antis to action.

They control the legislature and the media. We are out of our league until case law is on our side.
I have to disagree with you on most of this cato. The legislators do not control the media. While irrational fear-mongering media certainly can contribute to the legislature passing bad law, there's no control there. And many of the news stories we've been getting lately have been quite favorable. Plus with the onslaught of national attention that Open Carry is getting these days, stories will be published with or without our contribution. I've come around to believing that it is better to try and help the media get it's story straight rather then just let them publish the nonsense they usually doll out when it comes to 2A issues.

Politicians don't give a @#$% about favorable.
You are correct, and while more OC press may only scare the CA legislature, we are winning the PR battle with the citizenry. In the long run this is a very necessary goal.

cato

imported post

I do sincerely hope you are right. And I agree with media skilled individuals making our points since the 'cats out of the bag'. I do like John Pierce's style and would recommend it be our model if we can't get him himself.

coolusername2007

imported post

MudCamper wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
MudCamper wrote:
cato wrote:

They control the legislature and the media. We are out of our league until case law is on our side.

Politicians don't give a @#$% about favorable.
You are correct, and while more OC press may only scare the CA legislature, we are winning the PR battle with the citizenry. In the long run this is a very necessary goal.

You are absolutely correct, we are winning the PR battle. Do you know why? I've said it before and I'll say it again...there are many, many more pro-2A people in this state (and country) than there are antis. It's our history, our heritage, and our birthright. And Americans across all spectrums know it. They may have been fooled for awhile by all the fear mongering, and were persuaded to give up their liberties, but the lies are now being seen for what they are...lies and damned lies.

Ours has got to be the easiest PR battle of any issue (especially at this moment in time), and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. We are not creating new rights out of thin air, we are reinvigorating long lived, deep historical rights that Americans value and respect.

Gundude

imported post

The press is helping usby reporting all thehome invasions, muggings, carjackings, and other violent crimes. People know that 911 is always too late to stop any of these crimes. Fear of becoming a victim is way high on their list.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The issue I see isn't the media, it is what they are covering.

I believe it [edit]might be [/edit] time to bring back the lone open carrier and hold less public events. Remember your video and voice recorders.

demnogis

imported post

Theseus wrote:
The issue I see isn't the media, it is what they are covering.

I believe it is time to bring back the lone open carrier and hold less public events. Remember your video and voice recorders.
I agree, but post re-incorporation.

jdoe

imported post

Gundude wrote:
... People know that 911 is always too late to stop any of these crimes...
Are you sure about that?

Before I had a reason to own firearms I, in complete ignorance and apathy, assumed without really thinking about it that the police would be there to protect me.

It wasn't until I began to research options for self defense that I discovered that the police response to a violent crime call is more than five minutes in 3 out of 4 cases.

How many anti's know that or would publicly acknowledge that?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

jdoe wrote:
Gundude wrote:
... People know that 911 is always too late to stop any of these crimes...
Are you sure about that?

Before I had a reason to own firearms I, in complete ignorance and apathy, assumed without really thinking about it that the police would be there to protect me.

It wasn't until I began to research options for self defense that I discovered that the police response to a violent crime call is more than five minutes in 3 out of 4 cases.

How many anti's know that or would publicly acknowledge that?
+1

Most people only know what they've seen on TV. In the movies the cops almost always show up immediately.

In real life, usually not the case... I've been shot at twice and had two guys brandish knives and threaten me (that's 2 knife-wielders in one incident). In the shots fired cases, the response times were ~45 min and ~ 2 hours; in neither case did the responding officer take a report or even get out of his/her car. In the brandishing case, the deputies refused to even respond because they were "short handed" due to several call-offs (it was flu season).

I've learned first-hand that it's foolish to rely on our public servants to protect us.