• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can You Open Carry While Travelling?

rodbender

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (I was a teenager), all the LEOs and one assistant DA told me that "RULE OF THUMB" was; someone was considered traveling if he was more than one county removed from his home county. In other words, if you are in your home county or an adjacent county to your home county, you are not travelling. HUH???

I told all of them that if I go to the grocery store I am travelling.

pooley

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (I was a teenager), all the LEOs and one assistant DA told me that "RULE OF THUMB" was; someone was considered traveling if he was more than one county removed from his home county. In other words, if you are in your home county or an adjacent county to your home county, you are not travelling. HUH???

Yeah. Only problem with that is every DA/PO/deputy/state trooper has their own, different rule of thumb. Around my home it's said to be crossing 3 county lines...

Unless you're in Lakeport, then you'd better have a suitcase and a hotel reservation...

Last edited:

rushcreek2

This rule-of -thumb "law" enforcement tradition is increasingly being exposed for what is - the path of least resistance for some who are not self-motivated to aquire and maintain fluency in the respective State laws. It is disconcerting when a citizen has to interact with LEO's who aren't current on, or simply disapprove of existing laws. I expect the USPS letter carrier delivering mail on my route to actually deliver MY MAIL in my mailbox - not my next door neighbor's mail just because I live "pretty close to" my neighbor.

This is one of the primary reasons that so many members of the public find the law "unclear". Unlike most other fields that require continuing education in order to maintain professional certification - LE training is primarily focused on very real concerns regarding officer safety, effectiveness in identifying and establishing some plausible basis for asserting probable cause, and perfecting cunning techniques designed to circumnavigate the 1st, 2nd, 4th & 5th Amendments to the U.S. Constitution in order to obtain evidence related to criminal activity. Knowledge derived from word-of-mouth, rules-of-thumb, and a subjective community caretaking "consensus" may or may not reflect the actual law. Refering personal concerns regarding the subjective "appropriatness" of otherwise lawful conduct to the jurisdiction of the court system should not be the function of LAW enforcement.

It is not unreasonable to expect certified professionals to maintain a current knowledge of cutting-edge resources applicable to their zone of responsibility. Why do we allow those entrusted with the responsibility of enforcing our laws to avoid periodic testing of their effective working knowledge of the actual laws on the books ? In order for commercial truck drivers to haul haz-mat loads they have to take a written haz-mat knowledge test in order to renew their CDL's. Nurses are required to up-grade training regularly and demonstrate proficiency in their medical knowledge.

The vast majority of LEO's in Colorado and Texas are more than willing to apply the law as actually written. LEO's have their hands full with REAL criminals, and generally recognize and respect the RTKBA when exercised by the law-abiding. I suppose that's WHY there really isn't much 46.02 case-law in Texas in lieu of some collateral criminal conduct.

Last edited:

jordanmills

Simple solution then. Why not just define traveling as being away from one's permanent or temporary residence for any length of time?

rodbender

Even simpler (and better) solution: repeal PC Chapter 46. Problem solved!

I really do hate repeating myself, but...........Sounds fine to me. Now all we need to do is convince the Texas legislature.

It really matters not to me whether we take a plane or a train or a bus.....we just need to get there.