• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Candidates for Governor on preemption & OC: Inslee supports, McKenna does NOT

SpyderTattoo

Hey Alpine, I just heard you on the phone/radio with John Carlson. I think anyone here who would have heard you would be appalled. You don't speak for us as a group! You kept referring to "us" as the OC group and made it sound like we all feel the same way you do, when in reality, I don't think anyone here agrees with your position.

How dare you put yourself in position to speak for us as a group. I'm sure some of the guys would like to meet you at the Starbucks get-together this Saturday morning to discuss your ideas and hear your explanation on why you speak for the group.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Hey Alpine, I just heard you on the phone/radio with John Carlson. I think anyone here who would have heard you would be appalled. You don't speak for us as a group! You kept referring to "us" as the OC group and made it sound like we all feel the same way you do, when in reality, I don't think anyone here agrees with your position.

How dare you put yourself in position to speak for us as a group. I'm sure some of the guys would like to meet you at the Starbucks get-together this Saturday morning to discuss your ideas and hear your explanation on why you speak for the group.

Speaking as though you represent the OC movement in Wa is appalling and disconcerting.

I now have an open invitation to you to join us Saturday. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?107499-2nd-Saturday-Reminder

This is a standing invitation and I will buy your coffee.

Last edited:

FamilyMan

to the guy I heard on the radio

I heard this as well, I was dissapointed

To me, it seems alpine voted for the wolf, because he couldn't get a bark from the sheep dog. That seems silly to me, and makes me think he's a bit of an egomaniac with a bruised ego.

As many others have reasoned, Mckenna has a track record of supporting gun rights, so there was enough information to make a decision.

These obviously are my opinions, I make no claim to speak for any group.

Best Regards

EMNofSeattle

I heard this as well, I was dissapointed

To me, it seems alpine voted for the wolf, because he couldn't get a bark from the sheep dog. That seems silly to me, and makes me think he's a bit of an egomaniac with a bruised ego.

As many others have reasoned, Mckenna has a track record of supporting gun rights, so there was enough information to make a decision.

These obviously are my opinions, I make no claim to speak for any group.

Best Regards

Just now? Damn I need to start waking up earlier and listening to John...

I'll definitely podcast that.

Look at his earlier posts, he seems to keep making himself a representative of the WA sub forum, I want aware we were choosing one.....

Alpine

First I want to set the record straight, I never claimed to speak for the whole group. I used the word "I" many times. There were a few "us" thrown in there but if you listened attentively then you'd hear I corrected myself several times. I never said I was a "leader" I said I was a MEMBER. Get that straight before anyone else comes in here half-cocked, pun-intended. Go listen to the recording and you will hear this.

You also heard what I thought of Inslee and my reservations about him, like for instance, the fact that we might not be able to trust anything Inslee says. The problem is, at the very least some of you will have to admit by your past statements on this thread that in order to cast himself as 'more moderate' that McKenna was trying to distance himself from the traditional GOP base in order to get elected by appearing to be something he isn't. So what? He's trying to fool anti-gun people into voting for him? Does that make you guys proud? Does that make you happy to declare your support for him? This is politics of deception, and McKenna was trying to cast himself as honest. Honest is NOT pretending to be something you aren't, and ignoring your supposed supporters. Believe me, it has nothing to do with my own ego, I gave that campaign over 2 and a half months, they wouldn't even bother telling me to "go away." I even asked them if they'd like me to stop trying to contact them and they kept saying "no, no, we want you to contact us but we'll get back to you." What was really going on was "tactical delay" to avoid having to make a public statement within three months of the election. I pleaded with them to say something, say ANYTHING about pre-emption and what McKenna would do as governor should cease-fire come in and lobby to change the law, and they refused to tell me anything. They also refused to make any statement to any of you about that specific issue in the context of McKenna using a veto if necessary. I wanted McKenna to get my vote, but he would not reach out to me and get it. The graveyard of politics is filled with the corpses of campaigns that spurned different groups of voters, and believe me, it is not ego for a voter like myself to want to hear from candidates. Do any of you think it's unreasonable for someone to vote against a candidate if that candidate ignores that person? Let me put it this way, the governor is my employee, how would you react if one of your employees ignored you when you were asking them a business related question and needed an answer to make a decision? The politicians are there to serve the people, not the other way around.

Also, my points about Schwarzeneggar and Romney were valid, and ignored by everyone, including Carlson. He tried to argue that McKenna was an attorney, guess what, so is Romney. Face the facts: RINOs often sign gun bans, it's what they do. McKenna himself says he hasn't shot a gun in years, how important do you think gun rights is for him say, compared to getting his tax or education plans passed? If McKenna needed to compromise and give something to the legislature to get what he wanted, what do you think he would offer up? Do you guys pay attention to history and politics? We've seen this EXACT situation play out in other states like Massachussets and California. Do you want it to happen here?

My prediction, if Inslee keeps his lead and wins, is that you will see no change at all in gun legislation since he didn't run on it and the democrats won't be asking for it. If McKenna wins, the democrats won't ask for changes but I think McKenna would be happy to offer them up in trade for funding charter schools once it's passed or passing his whole education agenda. WA Cease-fire isn't stupid, hell, THEY would probably approach McKenna with the idea themselves, knowing that this could be their inroads on it. Feel free to bump this thread any time over the next four years if I'm wrong and point it out.

If the legislature here had been republican, I would have voted for McKenna even if he said he was against guns, as it is, you can't trust republicans who try to portray themselves as more "moderate" in the campaign, because you have no idea what they will give up come their election.

As for showing up, you better believe I will be coming to OC meetings, I might even start hosting a few myself. I probably won't make the one this weekend, in part because I'll most likely be busy and in part because I'm sure tempers will be hot and I'd prefer a little time for everyone to cool down and think about things.

Edit: As for those who are suggesting that as voters we shouldn't have the right to be addressed individually by the candidates, or that we aren't worth responding to and if we complain it's an "ego problem," please go retake your highschool civics class. There is nothing wrong with freedom of speech and nothing wrong with calling out a public figure if they refuse to take a position on something. For those advocating "shutting me up," try to fathom how hypocritical you sound.

Last edited:

badkarma

I took away from your conversation with John was that you didn't get an immediate response from the RM crew so you decided to blast them in a public forum(here and on the radio). You are a troll and should not be allowed to discuss politics on this forum ever again. You are an embarrassment.

Dave Workman

Well, some of you guys apparently heard Alpine and Carlson, and somehow, my name got dragged into that conversation.

John suggested to Alpine that he call me and get straightened out. Don't waste your time, pal, or mine. It's too late for that.

If I heard you correctly, you said you "had to vote for Inslee" because McKenna would not respond to what essentially amounted to your ultimatum to make some kind of pro-OC or pro-gun rights statement. Are you kiddin'?

McKenna doesn't need to prove anything to you, or anybody else around here, when it comes to gun rights. Just because he wouldn't stroke you ego means zip. I sent both of those guys questionnaires about hunting and gun rights and neither of them responded with answers. I wrote an Examiner column about it, but I didn't go on a crusade about it.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gun activists lick wounds, look at some wins

Northwest gun rights activists are licking their wounds today, arguing amongst themselves over the election outcome, and looking around the map at some small victories as they wait to see whether Washington will have a pro-gun governor.

http://www.examiner.com/article/gun-activists-lick-wounds-look-at-some-wins?cid=db_articles

Last edited:

badkarma

He was an idiot and Jon stopped him self 2 times from calling "Steve" stupid. You're right, he just wanted someone to stroke his ego and to try and make a miniscule point which blew up in his face. Oh yeah, he made sure to spend the first 30 seconds qualifing how he has worked in politics and knows how to get a hold of people. Then he started name dropping. What an idiot.

EMNofSeattle

So I spoke to the programming director at KVI and due to contract they can't provide me audio unless Johns producer puts it up.

Does anyone here who heard it have it recorded or recalls exactly what [Strike]Alpine[/strike] Steve said on the show? I'm really curious here, what exactly did John say in return?

Alpine

I'd question what they might say since "Steve" is not my name and anyone who was actually listening would have heard that...

Feel free to obsess over this. I take a person at their word, or lack of it. I told you what I said, and if you'd been listening you'd have heard it. But that doesn't matter. What matters most for the purposes of all of us as members of this organization is that open carry is protected and preserved, and that it's strengthened.

To that end I've gone around and spoke to many of the candidates in my area. I can tell you this, neither Brad Toft nor Mark Mullet seemed to know much about it. Toft seemed to think having a general "NRA endorsement" was good enough, and while I agree that it can be, the situation in WA is unique and I urged him to come to this site and learn more about it as there have been NRA-endorsed politicians who have come out against OC in the past.

I got a hold of Jay Rodne, who I am happy to say supports Open Carry and state pre-emption 100%. He didn't really have an opponent so I didn't think it was worth mentioning.

I couldn't quite reach the Sanders campaign, but I am sorry to see that he lost. Given his usual stance for preserving liberties of the individual I was pretty sure he'd support legal challenges to OC. Heck, he might have even written a few opinions in favor of it, I haven't researched that.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

I'd question what they might say since "Steve" is not my name and anyone who was actually listening would have heard that...

Feel free to obsess over this. I take a person at their word, or lack of it. I told you what I said, and if you'd been listening you'd have heard it. But that doesn't matter. What matters most for the purposes of all of us as members of this organization is that open carry is protected and preserved, and that it's strengthened.

To that end I've gone around and spoke to many of the candidates in my area. I can tell you this, neither Brad Toft nor Mark Mullet seemed to know much about it. Toft seemed to think having a general "NRA endorsement" was good enough, and while I agree that it can be, the situation in WA is unique and I urged him to come to this site and learn more about it as there have been NRA-endorsed politicians who have come out against OC in the past.

I got a hold of Jay Rodne, who I am happy to say supports Open Carry and state pre-emption 100%. He didn't really have an opponent so I didn't think it was worth mentioning.

I couldn't quite reach the Sanders campaign, but I am sorry to see that he lost. Given his usual stance for preserving liberties of the individual I was pretty sure he'd support legal challenges to OC. Heck, he might have even written a few opinions in favor of it, I haven't researched that.

While using the rest of us as a reference twice now, citing an OCDO thread and picture of other members while trying to get a statement from a campaign, and one of those members who knew the campaign manager got the statement you wanted, but you're still looking to have someone bend over to accomodate you.

And then this morning on John Carlson you reference us again while making the same absurd claim that's been demolished by people far more credible then you. Frankly I believe BadKarma over you. you've been obssessed with this issue from your first post. your theory is frankenstenian and defies all common sense. Suddenly Jay Inslee is the gun rights crusader and everything mckenna said is a lie despite the years of unwaivering support he has shown? you claim to take people by their word, bad idea, take them by their actions.

Last edited:

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
That said, in logic, something does NOT exist until it does, the old saying, "if you chose not to decide you still have made a choice." At the very least McKenna's gambling with avoiding being too close publicly with gun rights groups will cost him, I can't be the only one out there grumbling about why he isn't forthright on this important issue to us.

Alpine, you have been taken by a consummate con man, and your ignorance is painful to watch.

You have voted for a man who will tell you anything you want to hear, then follow his own wishes and the party line. Then you come on here and tell us how good he is and that we should not trust McKenna and vote as you have done for this self serving, arrogant, conceited candidate. You have maligned Mckenna, because your feelings are hurt that he didn't "get back to you on that"....... the one candidate who has associated himself with OC'ers on a regular basis.

Inslee was my congressional representative. I wrote him fairly regularly on gun issues, and always got very nice letters in return saying how much he supports gun ownership and the RKBA. He then would vote the party line on every firearms bill and amendment that came along. IE: He didn't support a single bloody thing.

He then gets wind that they need a candidate to run for Governor, and he promptly abandons his constituents, picking the precise time to leave so that we have absolutely NO representation in Congress, and no one can be appointed to take his place. Thereby causing even more taxpayers dollars to be spent for the extra election process.

He is in it for himself, and will do and say anything it takes to get where he wants to go, and cares little to none for the citizens of his old district and this state.

Yet you believed him and voted for him. And you are still running around supporting him. Idiocy at its best.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
...What matters most for the purposes of all of us as members of this organization is that open carry is protected and preserved, and that it's strengthened. ...

We are not an organization. We are members of an internet forum composed of like minded people. Some of us are even friends. That's it. That's all.

Even here you can't seem to get your facts straight. I shudder to think of what you may have said while intimating that you represent the OC community.

Besides, according to the following website, Jay Inslee:

• Voted NO on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers. (Oct 2005)
  • Voted NO on prohibiting suing gunmakers & sellers for gun misuse. (Apr 2003)
  • Voted NO on decreasing gun waiting period from 3 days to 1. (Jun 1999)
  • Prevent unauthorized firearm use with "smart gun" technology. (Aug 2000)
  • Rated F by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun control voting record. (Dec 2003)

http://www.ontheissues.org/house/jay_inslee.htm#Gun_Control

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

Inslee was my congressional representative. I wrote him fairly regularly on gun issues, and always got very nice letters in return saying how much he supports gun ownership and the RKBA. He then would vote the party line on every firearms bill and amendment that came along. IE: He didn't support a single bloody thing.

He then gets wind that they need a candidate to run for Governor, and he promptly abandons his constituents, picking the precise time to leave so that we have absolutely NO representation in Congress, and no one can be appointed to take his place. Thereby causing even more taxpayers dollars to be spent for the extra election process.

You're right he is a lying sack of sewage.

A friend was trying to get him to have a meeting with him and I about one issue or at least answer the questions in writing. He never once answered the question(s). Hell when I was living in Monroe I got a meeting with my state rep out there. It was about the "puppy mill" law and how absurd it was.

Inslee did not care about your right to keep the fruits of your labor either. Much less your RKBA.

badkarma

John introduced you as "Steve" so if that isn't your name then so be it.

What you stated in the first 30 seconds was almost an exact summary of your original post. How you have worked in politics, how you know how to get a hold of people(at some point John had to get you to the point), then you started dropping names(Randy and 2 others). Then you went into how you received a response from Inslee's team but asked why it took 2 months to get any response from Rob's team. You obviously have an agenda. I say you are a troll and have an axe to grind. Then you went into how you voted for Inslee and John had to stop himself from calling you stupid the first time. John kept trying to get a point out of you why you voted for Inslee and you kept going back to how Rob's team took 2 month"It is funny that it took two months and many inquires.....". Then John stopped himself again on the "S" of stupid word again. I was surprised it went on for as long as it did. Total it might have lasted 2.5 minutes which was 2.4 minutes longer than it should have.

Now if that is not 100% summary of what was said then I'm not far off. I listen to him most mornings and was proud to hear someone from OCDO on it that morning until you spoke. I knew it was about this thread and it was another pathetic attempt to grind your axe.

Now, my point. I'm not obsessed with this. You are. You posted this here(and probably other places) and you called into a morning talk show. For what? Hell, the election was over yesterday so it isn't like you are going to change anyone elses vote. So you must have just wanted to hear yourself talk which I relate to lack of attention as a child. Did your mom not hold you? Did your dad not take you shooting? Why is it that you feel it necessary to bring this attention upon yourself?

amzbrady

197473_378046442275593_543557883_n.jpg

Hey Rob Mckenna and Spence Olchin