• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying In Church

aadvark

They Fire in The Pulpit!

I support having Firearms in Church.

Even Jesus said..., '...ell your [g]armet for a Sword.'

PreachermanMatt

CC yes OC no

One of our ministers is an CCDW Instructor, so I'm SURE he carries in the pulpit.

BTW he also recently knocked up my wife ;-)

SW9VE

I'm sorry but if you feel the need to carry a handgun in church then there is something really wrong with you. I firmly believe in exercising my rights, but there is a fine line you just don't cross, have a little respect for others, your faith, and your church.

Haz.

CHRIST was for self defence.

Christ wasn't against self defence, in fact He suggested those who never owned a sword, (wepon of choice in those days), sell their cloak and buy one.

"Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."(Luke 22:36). Haz.

Tomas

There are some places where I greatly prefer to concealed carry, and a church is one of them. It's just polite.

Other than that, I do not view churches as gun free zones - to me it is just another gathering of people subject to random attack, and one needs protection there just as much as anywhere else.

(Only time my carrying at a church was ever noticed was at a wedding in Hamilton, Montana, where the groom and I briefly hugged. He made contact with my nine, chuckled, and when he stepped back he tapped his side and said "Me, too." :D )

PreachermanMatt

I'm sorry but if you feel the need to carry a handgun in church then there is something really wrong with you. I firmly believe in exercising my rights, but there is a fine line you just don't cross, have a little respect for others, your faith, and your church.

Did you see the list of church shooting on page 1?

KBCraig

If you ever go anywhere that you need a gun, then there's something wrong with you.

I personally never go anywhere that I might need a gun. That's the best way to make sure I never have to use the one I am carrying. But even that's not foolproof... as has been pointed out by the list of church shootings, not to mention public shootings in "perfectly nice places where no one needs a gun".

neuroblades

Think of us as Sheep Dogs.

This is a generalization, not to taken as wholely (Holy) literal. Pardon the pun. I wasn't trying to be punny *LOL*

We are called sheep by the Lord because sheep, are DUMB! *LOL* The Lord sets Shepherds to watch over and tend to His flock in His physical absence. While the Shepherds do the best they can, they CAN'T be everywhere all the time and so the Shepherds utilize Sheep Dogs as a helpmate, WE are the Sheep Dogs! :)

Had to interject some humour in the topic. :)

Last edited:

PreachermanMatt

This is a generalization, not to taken as wholely (Holy) literal. Pardon the pun. I wasn't trying to be punny *LOL*

We are called sheep by the Lord because sheep, are DUMB! *LOL* The Lord sets Shepherds to watch over and tend to His flock in His physical absence. While the Shepherds do the best they can, they CAN'T be everywhere all the time and so the Shepherds utilize Sheep Dogs as a helpmate, WE are the Sheep Dogs! :)

Had to interject some humour in the topic. :)

The first minute of this sums it up well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPLJVClhPJk&feature=related

And my 'dogs' are strategically positioned

rajiii2002

My church operate a christian school on the property, thus legally I had to get my pastor's ( school administrator) permission to carry a firearm. And might I recommend a signed letter stating that.

neuroblades

I believe that our rights (including our right to self defense and the tools that make that possible) come from our Creator. If you believe that, please explain how God would be offended by your OC'ing to protect the lives He has created or explain why defending the Creators work should offend those who are there to worship Him. If your answer is, "I can do those things just as well CC'ing in church", then why do you OC at all? If CC is better in church, it must be better everywhere else, too.

Well, since I started this ball rolling originally, I guess I'll jump in once again. *LOL* I agree with you Gutshot, completely! While we do have the legal right to OC in Kentucky, since getting my CCDW, I only OC on rare occasion! So, I guess to some extent, you're correct, CC is the best way to carry. But please keep in mind, this is just my own POV on this specific topic.

OC is just as much a political statement to those around us in the Real World as it is about self-defense. For me personally, I don't see or feel the need to make a political statement at church.

AS I stated, this is just my own personal POV, not looking down on ANYONE or ANYBODY for OC'ing ANYWHERE! :)

Last edited:

Haz.

I believe that our rights (including our right to self defense and the tools that make that possible) come from our Creator. If you believe that, please explain how God would be offended by your OC'ing to protect the lives He has created or explain why defending the Creators work should offend those who are there to worship Him. If your answer is, "I can do those things just as well CC'ing in church", then why do you OC at all? If CC is better in church, it must be better everywhere else, too.

Hi 'gunshot' and all others following this thread.

Like I have said many times before;

Jesus Christ himself told His disciples to arm themselves before venturing out into the big bad world full of, CRIMINALS, back in His day.

"Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." (Luke 22:36).

And, if a person preferes to let criminals walk all over them rather than defend themselves and their family and property, God does not look kindly on them. he calls them troubled fountains and corrupt springs. Now who wants to drink from a corrupt spring? Not me, Lol. Haz.

"A righteous man falling down before the wicked is as a troubled fountain, and a corrupt spring." (Proverbs 25:26).

neuroblades

God bless our forum. :)

I love the forum! :) Even though we might not all totally agree on this topic, we can all agree to accept each others POV's as they are and that's a great thing here.

And even though we might differ on some points, we all generally agree in the overall. Carrying in church has sadly become a needed action in these days. Some churches have taken a very pro-active stance and have procured actual "security" in addition to their members that may carry concealed.

GOD Bless Us One & ALL!

Haz.

I love the forum! :) Even though we might not all totally agree on this topic, we can all agree to accept each others POV's as they are and that's a great thing here.

And even though we might differ on some points, we all generally agree in the overall. Carrying in church has sadly become a needed action in these days. Some churches have taken a very pro-active stance and have procured actual "security" in addition to their members that may carry concealed.

GOD Bless Us One & ALL!

I agree 'neuroblades'

The time when any kind of self defence will be unnecessary will be when Christ returnes at His second coming and He will finally put down all rebellion on this Earth once and for ever, and then swords will be beaten into plough sheers.

"And he shall judge among many people, and rebuke strong nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more." (Micah 4:3).

Untill then, defend yourselves and your familys where ever you are.

If it was legal to CC, OC, or or just carry mace, down under, I would never be unarmed, not for one second, anywhere, anytime. People are being shot, stabbed, bludgeoned to death with base ball bats, homes, especially the eldery, are being invaded by gangs for a few paultry dollars to feed their drug habits. Cars are being car-jacked, even with babies on board, criminals dont care. Its them or us. Haz.

Last edited:

Tribunal Power

In my search for a new church (being new to Kentucky) I've resolved that I will not attend a church that will not let me openly carry. I've already been to one service in which a deacan asked me to take the gun off because all the other mighty Christians were terrified of it. I respectfully did so, and after the service was over, explained to the well-mannered pastor why I would no longer be attending his services.

Unlike many Chrstians, I do not feel the need for church-- only for fellowship, which I acquire through devotionals with my wife and occasionally others. I could provide scriptures to support the beliefs I hold, but this isn't a religious forum, so I'll get to the point.

I refuse to disarm unless I am given no choice. This is because protecting myself and my wife is more important to me than most of things I'm faced with. I've had enough experience with bad luck to know that the only time something horrible happens is when I've allowed a gap in my awareness or preparedness for it. Therefore, some years ago, I resolved to never leave that gap in my personal security.

I've been to a few places where I've been asked to disarm. I've either left, or disarmed to hastily finish my business if needed and never return-- and I've never done the latter unless I've had a different weapon available to me. I regularly carry a knife, and I keep a telescoping baton in my car.

Some of you are telling us that if we feel the need to carry a gun everywhere, then there is something wrong with us. What is the point of carrying if you only carry here and there? Why would you advocate being prepared for the unexpected, and then say that it's inappropriate to carry in a few select spots? Violent crimes happen anywhere and everywhere. It doesn't matter if you're in a dark alley in Chicago or in the Holy of Holies, you can be victimized. And when you start thinking it can't happen to you, even if you only think so in church, you should be prepared to become a statistic. Vulnerability is not something I'll abide by just because I'm in a building with a cross on it.

Point is this: if you think it's wrong to carry in the house of God, or anywhere else on God's green earth, there's not something wrong with those of us who do-- there's something wrong with you.

Yes, I will carry in church. Every church I'll attend. And if I'm asked to disarm, I'll either leave or comply and not return. If I never find a church that allows me to carry, fine. If I do, fantastic. But what I won't do is CC just to fit in with the congregation. Acceptance is not worth that much to me. OCing will never be normalized if we hide our guns every time someone plays the Sacred Cow card.

And before I get flamed by Christians, no, my priorities are not misaligned. I worship Christ with my wife, in my home. I do devotions. I have maintained a spiritual relationship with my Lord, without sitting in a pue, for a long time. I'm not the best Christian, but that is not because I rarely attend church-- it's because I'm human, and fallable to the core. I'm a hypocrite, I'm selfish, I'm occasionally self-righteous-- all things a Christian should be able to recognize and admit-- and I'm a child of God.

And I won't lay down my responsibility to protect my God-fearing family because of a gun-fearing congregation.

My $.02.

gravedigger

I don't but that argument. it is not my faith in my fellow church-goer, or the pastor, or even God. It is my lack of faith in some dirtbag's mind to decide that a church is off limits to make some statement about how crappy his own life is.

I'd have NO problem carrying, or seeing another man carry in a church. As long as he doesn't have a wild look in his eyes, and act like he is coming off of a 3-day cocaine binge.

Thos.Jefferson

I agree 'neuroblades'

The time when any kind of self defence will be unnecessary will be when Christ returnes at His second coming and He will finally put down all rebellion on this Earth once and for ever, and then swords will be beaten into plough sheers.

"And he shall judge among many people, and rebuke strong nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more." (Micah 4:3).

If it was legal to CC, OC, or or just carry mace, down under, I would never be unarmed, not for one second, anywhere, anytime. People are being shot, stabbed, bludgeoned to death with base ball bats, homes, especially the eldery, are being invaded by gangs for a few paultry dollars to feed their drug habits. Cars are being car-jacked, even with babies on board, criminals dont care. Its them or us. Haz.

So you can't even carry a black powder revolver?

neuroblades

I agree 'neuroblades'

I take it that you're from Australia then? I've got a couple friends over there and we've been learning things from each other about the firearms situation. I've got a friend in England as well that has given me some information about their situation, sadly, she is anti-firearms! *LOL*