• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying In Church

Haz.

If this individual is a resident of Australia, they can't even have a simple slingshot! England's looking to oulaw pocket knives! The world's getting worse and worse with each passing day!

Hi Mate.

Carrying knives in Australia is illegal too. The world is getting worse with each passing day, only for law abiding citizens.

"Originally Posted by SW9VE
I'm sorry but if you feel the need to carry a handgun in church then there is something really wrong with you. I firmly believe in exercising my rights, but there is a fine line you just don't cross, have a little respect for others, your faith, and your church."

Then there must have been somthing wrong with the Apostle Peter for he carried a sword; " Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus." (John 18:10). Christ never went into a lets ban swords spasm. All He said was, put it away Pete.. (Did Peter have no respect for Christ? Christ Himself told the others to go buy one if they never owned one, (Luke 22:36).

Ivan Sample

Feel free if you need to and God blessed all churches!

There have been alot good points made here about carrying in church. I say that if you feel the need to carry at church then carry. But for me I choose not to carry due to the fact our church has hired an off duty officer to standby while we attend church.

Hunting Mama

Not deep enough in the Woods, Wisconsin, USA
For those of you who live in states where CC is legal - you are fortunate. In Wisconsin we are prohibited from CC and can only OC. (Maybe things will start to change after tomorrow :) ).

I do believe that if you want to carry in church that is your decision, whether OC or CC. Obviously in these times churches aren't off limits to the criminals and we must defend ourselves accordingly. I personally would CC out of a respect factor in church. I wouldn't want to be a distraction for anyone from the reason we are all there. I would like it if we can worship together without anyone being offended and me and my family are still protected.
The OC carry platform is for another situation, not church services.

Worship and protect yourselves.

neuroblades

It's always good to hear from others and other places. Sorry to hear that you live in such a restrictive state but you do have OC at least and that's better than nothing but as you stated, things can change and in time, I'm sure they will change there as well in reference to CC.

MKEgal

Carrying knives in Australia is illegal too.

No way! I saw "Crocodile Dundee", and he carried a huge knife! ;)

More on topic, If CC were allowed in WI, I would in certain situations, like church. Wish I'd had that option available to me on 04JUL this year... Maybe I wouldn't have gotten acquainted with several officers as they broke several laws & infringed several of my rights. All I wanted was to listen to the advertised sermon about civil rights & civility in public life.

As for the newly-minted member who's objecting to self-protection (SW9VE), if you're not allowing me to protect myself, then you are assuming responsibility for my well-being.

_I_ threaten no one, harm no one whether or not I have a gun (unless someone threatens me).
It's criminals who are the problem.

How do you propose to keep out criminals intent upon mass murder of the now defenseless people in your church? How much more will the church have to pay for insurance once your insurer learns of your new policy?

neuroblades

No way! I saw "Crocodile Dundee", and he carried a huge knife! ;)

More on topic, If CC were allowed in WI, I would in certain situations, like church. Wish I'd had that option available to me on 04JUL this year... Maybe I wouldn't have gotten acquainted with several officers as they broke several laws & infringed several of my rights. All I wanted was to listen to the advertised sermon about civil rights & civility in public life.

As for the newly-minted member who's objecting to self-protection (SW9VE), if you're not allowing me to protect myself, then you are assuming responsibility for my well-being.

_I_ threaten no one, harm no one whether or not I have a gun (unless someone threatens me).
It's criminals who are the problem.

How do you propose to keep out criminals intent upon mass murder of the now defenseless people in your church? How much more will the church have to pay for insurance once your insurer learns of your new policy?

This sounds interesting MKEgal, what exactly happened on July 4th, 2010? Give us the full story (place it happened, what you were there for, if you were carrying or not, what you were carrying, how you were carrying, etc.)

I look forward to hearing your complete encounter.

MKEgal

what exactly happened on July 4th, 2010? Give us the full story...

There are already a couple threads discussing the incident.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...eize-legally-carried-gun&highlight=brookfield (That includes a link to a PDF of the civil rights suit.)
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...rookfield-and-4-officers&highlight=brookfield

I went to a church I'd visited before because they advertised a sermon that sounded interesting.
I carried, as I pretty much always do.
Since concealed carry is (currently) illegal in WI for mere citizens, I was carrying openly.

People saw me come in, saw the gun in the holster, saw me sit through the service, saw me chat with people after the service, saw me leave the building, get into my car, & start to drive home.

AFTER the service, nearly 90 min after I'd arrived, someone called police on the nonemergency line to ask if open carry is legal. They told the calltaker in no uncertain terms that I was not being inappropriate or threatening. (I have copies of the audio.)

As I was leaving the parking lot (not yet on public property), police stopped me, ordered me out of my car at gunpoint, did the whole handcuff, grope, take to station, photo, interrogate thing. Also stole my keys from my pocket & searched my (locked) car, after I'd clearly told them several times I did NOT give them permission to search.

The district attorney refused to issue me a ticket. (The police claim "improper transport of a weapon"; IOW, they say it was loaded.) Part of his reasoning was that the police had no RAS of a crime for which to stop my car, let alone do any of the rest of the things. I belive the phrase is "fruit of the poison tree".

Last edited: