• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW IN MD ?? Need 30 people

Novus Collectus

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Novus Collectus wrote:
I should have been more clear. I did not test it that far, I meant I have openly worn knives in public before. I was not arrested or confronted. He challenged me to test it which I took to mean to try and wear one to see what happens.
I did have an encounter with a police officer when I had a four inch or so blade butterfly knife in the center console once though. I did not get charged for it.

Now it is my turn to ask you. Do you have a link or cite to the cases of people prosecuted for the open carry of a knife they did not use to unlawfully injure?

By the way, it is to uncommon to see the carry a fixed blade knife in MD over three inches. People to it on the way to hunting all the time and so do landscapers and construction workers. I used to ride the bus with one on my tool belt I was carrying or on my belt.
You keep changing the rules.

The question from Sonora Rebel was regarding dirks - double edged blades.
You said "I HAVE tested it." Now - only that you have open carried knives and not been tested.

Hunting knives and work knives are generally legal and easily researched but you know that. Having a conversation with smoke is just not worth it.

Sorry that you don't buy that Maryland has prosecuted people for illegal knives. I'm really not of a mind to humor you.

Maybe you have a link where carrying a dirk was shown to be legal.

Hope you do get your OC and CC laws improved - radically. Good luck.

Yata hey
What rules? He did not say to test it in the courts and by plain reading of his post it was a challenge to test it which can mean anything from trying to wear one in public (which is exactly how I read it) to going all the way to the Supreme Court. Anything in between those two extremes is an exceptable interpretation.

Hunting knives (often Bowie type knives) and work knives (which can be ANY type of knife and mine was double edged) are really no different than dirk knives or other prohibitted concealed knives and it simply does not matter anyway because the statute only applies to wearing a weapon with the intent to unalwfully injure. It does not say a shaving razor, Bowie knive or even a dirk knife cannot be worn openly, it says any weapon worn concealed or with the intent to unlawfully injure is the ONLY thing it prohibits.

Now about the links. I see you cannot provide any proof of yours or provide a cite. You call foul saying I do not have a cite, then you make a claim you cannot cite. Something is not right about that. So sorry if I do not take your word for it when I have heard the exact opposite happening too.
Now about the part about providing links to cases where someone wore a dirk knife openly and was convicted that they appealed....well that is like trying to prove a negative. If it is not illegal and therefore never convicted, then there is no appeal to cite.

Now please read the statute, it defines the dangerous weapons which means any of those worn concealed is likely a violation of statute regardless of intent because they are listed as dangerous weapons and the paragraph about concealed says "any dangerous weapon", but openly worn there has to be mens rhea to unlawfully injure. This means that you are not breaking the law by simply possessing openly a dirk knife, Bowie knive, switchblade, etc. It either has to be worn concealed or openly with a mens rhea (intent) to unlawfully injure for it to be illegal.

Now I too have heard people arrested for knives, and I have heard of people arrested for pen knives over three and a half inches, but this is ignorance of the law on both the arestee's and the officer's part. If they are stupid enough to not challenge it in court or have it thrown out (which I have also heard happen with a sword but since it was second hand I cannot cite it like you cannot cire yours), then it does not mean it is illegal.
I know the way the dangerous weapons law is written, and my arrest would not get that far because I will challenge the officer's arrest and I will sue for false arrest if they charge me and I will win just like Sorrell did.
This is why I have no problem openly carrying around a bayonet, a double endged knife, or a dagger if I had a dagger. If I get arrested by an officer that didn't bother to look up the law after I told him what it is, then so what, I can use the money.

Now as far as the state trying to insist weaing a dirk knife openly was proof alone of intent to unlawfully injure, that is ridiculous and no judge would allow that. Even with the colcealed carry of prohibitted weapons the state still has to prove some manner of intent even though the concealed carry part doesn't even require it.
The State's construction of § 36(a), which requires only an intent to carry the instrument in a concealed fashion, looks only [***18] to the object's physical potential as a weapon, without considering the purpose of the person carrying the instrument. The State's construction produces results so closely approaching the absurd that we do not consider it to be the construction intended by the General Assembly. For example, the carpenter who carries screwdrivers, drills, chisels, and one or more hammers in a closed tool box is carrying, concealed, potential daggers and clubs, and would violate § 36. The woman who affixes her hat with a hat pin, covered by the hat and by her hair, is carrying, concealed, a potential stiletto, and would violate § 36. Persons who wear belts around their waists, covered by coats, jackets, or sweaters, carry, concealed, potential garrotes, and would violate § 36. [*438] The State's answer at oral argument to these reductio ad absurdum examples is that the concealed wearing and carrying of such items on or about the person would not be criminally charged, in the exercise of the police officer's or the prosecutor's discretion. That construction of § 36(a), however, raises due process questions concerning notice to the public of the conduct that is considered criminal. A construction [***19] of a statute which would cast doubt on its constitutional validity should be avoided........
....At the other end of the spectrum the General Assembly has announced that some instruments are dangerous or deadly weapons per se, without regard to the circumstances. Consequently, one may hypothesize the filming of a martial-arts motion picture. The person responsible for props carries, from a trailer to the set where the filming is to take place, a bag containing nunchakus. The custodian of props in our illustration facially violates § 36(a) although there is no intent on the custodian's part to use the per se weapons as weapons. Between these extremes lies a vast expanse of human [***23] conduct involving the concealed carrying of objects. Whether those objects are carried as weapons can be determined, as a question of fact, by applying the common experience of persons in our society to the facts and circumstances in a given case. In our judgment that is what the General Assembly intended in § 36(a) http://www.thehighroad.org/library/blades/md/Anderson%20v.%20State%20-%20614%20A.2d%20963%20(1992).html

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Your portenous verbosness is astounding. You apparently are one of those experts that know best. Good luck with the wonderful laws of your state. Hope you enjoy them.

Consider yourself ignored.

Yata hey

Novus Collectus

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Your portenous verbosness is astounding. You apparently are one of those experts that know best. Good luck with the wonderful laws of your state. Hope you enjoy them.

Consider yourself ignored.

Yata hey
I have had this discussion with numerous people and many times including MD lawyers and MD cops. I have seen almost every angle and I learned a lot on the way. I started out as ignorant as you.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

That 'butterfly knife' is calleda Balisong. It's a gravity knife... which is illegal in MD. I have effected 'many' arrests in MD.. (former Baltimore city cop... Southern district) and have charged individuals with possession of deadly weapons (sheath knives... butcher knives, kitchen steak knives stuck in belts (openly)found pursuant to the arrest for other stuff... and the charge stuck in court. I never had to go to he court of appeals for any of 'em. I'd just charge 'em... the DA (Sam Bass or one of 'em) would handle the finite details. The 'law' my have changed since that time... but 3" was the limit. You apparently have limited knowledge of knives... butI collect them. Military and fighting knives or bayonets from WWI on, plus some stuff from the mid 1800's onward. When goin' camping... or just wanderin' around in the State Park down in the Patapsaco River valley or elsewhere... I'd carry a Ka-Bar or similar... (Bowie blade)... but that knife came off my belt (or I'd remove the web belt, knife, canteen 'n all else) once I exited the area. Now 'n then I'd go out with a friend on his boat... and I'd carry (wear) a serrated blade for rope work 'n such if needed. When we'd hit the bars at the marina's... the knife was left in the boat.

I'm preparing to go to Tombstone for "Helldorado' today for the weekend.. and included inmy 1881-'82 'rig' is an Arkansas 'Toothpick' dubble edged 'dirk' with a 13" blade, in addition to my .45 SAA pistol. I'll also carry a Green River clip point 'Dadley' with a 5" blade in my boot. Try that in MD... anywhere! (And have your lawyer on speed dial... you'll need it!)

Good job Grapeshot! :)

Novus Collectus

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
That 'butterfly knife' is calleda Balisong. It's a gravity knife... which is illegal in MD. I have effected 'many' arrests in MD.. (former Baltimore city cop... Southern district) and have charged individuals with possession of deadly weapons (sheath knives... butcher knives, kitchen steak knives stuck in belts (openly)found pursuant to the arrest for other stuff... and the charge stuck in court. I never had to go to he court of appeals for any of 'em. I'd just charge 'em... the DA (Sam Bass or one of 'em) would handle the finite details. The 'law' my have changed since that time... but 3" was the limit. You apparently have limited knowledge of knives... butI collect them. Military and fighting knives or bayonets from WWI on, plus some stuff from the mid 1800's onward. When goin' camping... or just wanderin' around in the State Park down in the Patapsaco River valley or elsewhere... I'd carry a Ka-Bar or similar... (Bowie blade)... but that knife came off my belt (or I'd remove the web belt, knife, canteen 'n all else) once I exited the area. Now 'n then I'd go out with a friend on his boat... and I'd carry (wear) a serrated blade for rope work 'n such if needed. When we'd hit the bars at the marina's... the knife was left in the boat.

I'm preparing to go to Tombstone for "Helldorado' today for the weekend.. and included inmy 1881-'82 'rig' is an Arkansas 'Toothpick' dubble edged 'dirk' with a 13" blade, in addition to my .45 SAA pistol. I'll also carry a Green River clip point 'Dadley' with a 5" blade in my boot. Try that in MD... anywhere! (And have your lawyer on speed dial... you'll need it!)

Good job Grapeshot! :)
Number one, a ballisong is not always considered a gravity knife and even when it is, it is still not illegal in MD by state law. Possession and ownership is not prohibitted.
Number two, there is no state preemption on knife laws so Baltimore can ban knives and probably has banned knives.
Three, if you charged under a non-existent state law, then you probably did so before the Sorrel case and anderson case in 2002. The Mackall case was in 1992 I believe, but the question of qualified immunity is a more recent decision. YOu were at risk of losing your house for your improper arrests and you were just lucky you weren't sued.
Four, there is NO blade lenght in MD law and there never was. Since the 70s there was a mention in the courts and it was reaffirmed in the early 90s in the highest court that there is NO blade length limitation in the law, so the LAW remained the same, but the court precedent has changed over the years.

I repeat, there is no state law that says I cannot walk down the street with a 3' sword worn openly if I have no intent to unlawfully injure.
There however are laws in localities like in Ocean City and maybe Baltimore making it illegal, but reading what is prohibitted in 4-101 it is not made illegal at the state level.
YOu can walk down the street with brass knuckles and switchblades worn openly by state law (only) because it is not prohibitted. It is when you wear them concealed or openly with the intent to unlawfully injure is what is prohibitted.

And thanks by the way. :)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Street cops don't write an offense by statute other than Traffic. IfI found weapons pursuant to an arrest for something else (which is usually the case) the DA can either throw it out or go with it. That's THEIR job! Weapons were siezed in evidence... tagged, bagged and transported to Central.

Ya know... you're one of those who think they can talk the talk, but never walk the walk... much less do the do. Wasn't my call to 'interpret' the law. that's what DA/SA's 'n Judges do. I didnt have to agree with the 'law... or ordinance' but I had to effect the arrest for violations of same where found/observed. The enforcing part is done by the bench. Cops ain't lawyers... they're 'police' They should know what they liable to encounter... but not always. Whatever... you can't inject personal bias into an arrest. (Some do I know.)

I'm done with this thread... and you.

Novus Collectus

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Street cops don't write an offense by statute other than Traffic. IfI found weapons pursuant to an arrest for something else (which is usually the case) the DA can either throw it out or go with it. That's THEIR job! Weapons were siezed in evidence... tagged, bagged and transported to Central.

Ya know... you're one of those who think they can talk the talk, but never walk the walk... much less do the do. Wasn't my call to 'interpret' the law. that's what DA/SA's 'n Judges do. I didnt have to agree with the 'law... or ordinance' but I had to effect the arrest for violations of same where found/observed. The enforcing part is done by the bench. Cops ain't lawyers... they're 'police' They should know what they liable to encounter... but not always. Whatever... you can't inject personal bias into an arrest. (Some do I know.)

I'm done with this thread... and you.
If you arrested for the knife alone, then you are subject to losing a lawsuit for illegal arrest and I am not basing this on an assumpition, I am basing this on an actual case that made it to the MD court of Appeals and to the federal level.
That case said you as an officer are expected to know established law and if you arrest for a crime that has not been committed, then you are liable. This is a plain fact thse days.
http://pacer.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinion.pdf/011565.U.pdf
McGuigan suggests that a reasonable police officer would not necessarily know specific Maryland cases on penknives. However, a reasonable officer is presumed to know clearly established law. See Harlow, 457 U.S. at 818-19 ("[A] reasonably competent public official should know the law governing his conduct.").
I am not an expert, but I can read English.