• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chesapeake General Hospital Public Hospital - Claiming to be private property

Uber_Olafsun

Interesting. Who wins if we can fix preemption and state law directly conflicts with an accreditation mandate?

Preventing violence in the health care setting

Joint Commission suggested actions

The following are suggested actions that health care organizations can take to prevent assault, rape and homicide in the health care setting. Some of these recommendations are detailed in the HRC issue on “Violence in Healthcare Facilities.”

3. Take extra security precautions in the Emergency Department, especially if the facility is in an area with a high crime rate or gang activity. These precautions can include posting uniformed security officers, and limiting or screening visitors (for example, wanding for weapons or conducting bag checks).​

I didn't see anything about a total ban on weapons though. I suppose the authors would assume that's a no-brainer and to be a "given".

TFred

Actually it is just that they have security in place and they are following their own policies. JCAHO is screwy in the way that a lot of it is that the hospital has policies in place and follows them. There are very few requirements on what the policies have to have in them. I can speak for the medical equipment side. The requirement for most equipment is that it is under a maint. plan. It doesn't say that everything has to be calibrated once a year etc just that the hospital safety committee has approved whatever plan is in place. Once hospital can say infusion pumps have to be looked at once a year and another only when they break.

It is surprisingly vague in some areas. Even military hospitals go through it so the weapon thing would be left up to the facility. They just want the actions to match the policies.