• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry bill to be introduced when the new Legislative session starts in Jan.

Mlutz

..isnt it possible that a 'permitting' system be declared unconstitutional since NO OTHER specific rights require a permit...? That might even keep it from getting to Walker to sign..

I believe he said he would sign either... Going to look it up now...

Mlutz

First interview I have found...
"Owen: As you know, there has been a lot of consternation over open carry in Wisconsin. What would you do as governor regarding open carry and concealed carry?

Scott Walker: This is exactly why Wisconsin needs a Personal Protection Act. Having the legal right to carry. Having a permit. For all the hype and hysteria after Van Hollen’s release, the reality is that if people want to feel safe in this state – well, the most important thing to do is get guns out of the hands of people who can’t legally have them – is to put in place a very reasonable right to carry law like nearly everybody else in the country. It would allow us to know, by virtue of the permitting process, that the person has gone through a course; they know what they are doing; they are perfectly capable of doing that. In states like our neighbor Minnesota, they have had no problem with that. Despite all the hype about the Wild West, it didn’t come to pass. Instead, they have law-abiding citizens who know what they are doing and are well prepared to carry a firearm."

From, http://www.bootsandsabers.com/index.php/weblog/permalink/interview_with_scott_walker/

J.Gleason

Banned
We have the state supreme court damn near saying that 941.23 is unconstitutional, We have a D.A. in Jackson Co. who says he will only prosecute firearm charges if a crime was commited and recently the judge in Clark Co. ruling as much that 941.23 is unconstitutional , And many here are willing to grobble for a few meer crumbs, Even pay for it ! What are you willing to pay for a priviledge ? 250.00, 350.00 450.00 Repeal of 941.23 is the only clean option!
By the way they will push to end open carry!

Readers from other states Feel free to voice your opinions, Are Wi. residents to eager to settle for less than what's obtainable?

+1000000000

Your pleas fall on deaf ears 1911. that is the ears of the deaf and dumb. Those who will give all to have a ccw permit just so they can say to their friends, "Look what I got, see how important I am!"

It is kind of like those people who win the lottery and instead of taking their 1 million dollars in payments, they accept $600,000 in a lump sum instead, just so they can have it right now! So as far as what they are willing to pay? Probably even more than $450. The sky is the limit. Oh and then they will also pay for the mandated training that I am sure German and the likes will make more than affordable for the rich.

J.Gleason

Banned
My response to rep. Gunderson and to some members on this forum is. What part of "The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation, or any other lawful purpose". There is no specific manner of carry mentioned, there is no specific type of hiunting mentioned, there is no specific type of recreation mentioned. The presumption is that all types of lawful hunting by qualified persons is included. Not just duck hunting or deer hunting or bear hunting or hunting with bow or arrow, or hunting with a crossbow or hunting with a firearm. The amendment presumes all types of hunting with weapons classified as arms. Likewise recreation includes all types of legal recreation i.e. archery, skeet shooting, cowboy action shooting, trap shooting, etc. So it is only reasonable that when the amendment says "bear arms" without specifying a paticular manner that all manners of carry are intended. The only correct solution is recind 941.23 so that we have true constitution protected choice of carry.

I am suprised that with all the dialog that has taken place on this forum that there are still members that are hung up on getting legislation passed to give us shall-issue concealed carry with all it's baggage of training, licenses, additional regulations and more likely than not at the sacrifice of our already recognized right to open carry. If you are unhappy with the relatively minor restriction on where we can open carry just wait until you see the restrictions that will be piled on concealed carry i.e. daycares, churches, little league games, sport stadiums, outdoor concerts etc. etc. etc. If you don't believe me go back and read the old personal protection act that Doyle mercifully killed.

There are some persons on this forum that two years ago said we should take what we can get and build on it. They said that our goals were unattainable. I ask those people to reflect on our gains in the last year and a half and if they still think our goal of choice of carry is still out of reach.

Springfield 1911 is absolutely correct the constitutionality of 941.23 is suspect in many arenas. jackson county DA, Clark county judge, at least two members of the Wisconsin supreme court and I suspect the attorney general himself. A note on the WSC. There are new justices on the court that are less liberal to the court that ruled on Hamdan, Cole and Fischer. My opinion is that if the current court had ruled on the constitutionality of 941.23 in Hamdan and Cole the results would have been different.

I can understand Rep Gunderson's desire to submit conceal carry legislation. The failure of the personal protection act he co-sponsored left him and the NRA with a job undone. As I experienced during the days of the PPA I doubt that he is willing to consider alternatives.

It is my opinion that we should keep the momentum going and campaign hard for recind of 941.23 and inform Rep Gunderson that Article I section 25 says we have the RIGHT to keep and bear arms and we don't want that morphed into a PRIVLEGE to keep and bear arms.

+1000000
Now this I can say has been my position since even before I became a member here. I have always spoke out against permits, fees, mandated training, registration, changing our rights to a privilege or asking permission to exercise our rights.

Permit = Registration
Registration is the first step toward confiscation

Last edited:

J.Gleason

Banned
Did anyone miss this?

"NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that Republican Party of Wisconsin, in caucus assembled, urges the Wisconsin Legislature to adopt legislation permitting law-abiding citizens without a felony record or a record of serious mental health problems to obtain permits to carry concealed weapons;"

From http://www.wisgop.org/site/c.rtJUJ4MNIqE/b.6061581/k.6E49/Platform__Resolutions.htm

Now, where did all of the "constitutional carry" as a republican platform come in exactly? I read "permits" in the above quote, did you? Not that I agree, just saying...

Read the newly re-written Republican Platform
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisconsincarry.org%2Fpdf%2FThe2ndAmendment_in_thePoliticalArena.pdf&h=f43d5

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
The problem is that the WI GOP Platform & Resolutions (Resolutions - 2010 – 02 2nd Amendment) doesn't match what is posted on WCI. I'm not saying that what WCI has summarized didn't actually happen, I'm just saying that the WI GOP didn't bother to update their Resolutions, so it's hard to tell our legislators such.

Last edited:

J.Gleason

Banned
Unless people start writing letters, making phone calls, sending emails and stopping in to their legislators district office and push for a repeal of 941.23, some lame ccw bill like the one Gunderson will come up with will be pushed in front of Walker right off the bat.

That bill will most undoubtedly come with Fees, Permits, Mandated training and probably more infringements that will be hidden between the lines of the fine print.

Get off your duffs and make some contact with your legislators, NOW!

smithman

Other than the people on this forum and a few others, the REST of the people in WI who want to CC are willing to get a permit to do it. Guess what the NRA has put into their minds: "the only way to carry responsibly is concealed". The lawmakers will introduce a revised PPA but there is no way there is enough support at the legislator level for repealing the prohibition. Granted myself along with everyone else here would like to carry as they pleased without paying any fee or any "required" training.

professor gun

Other than the people on this forum and a few others, the REST of the people in WI who want to CC are willing to get a permit to do it. Guess what the NRA has put into their minds: "the only way to carry responsibly is concealed". The lawmakers will introduce a revised PPA but there is no way there is enough support at the legislator level for repealing the prohibition. Granted myself along with everyone else here would like to carry as they pleased without paying any fee or any "required" training.

Finally, a dose of reality here.