• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cracker Barrel

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I agree about perception, and I think if a bunch of "gun-totin' open carriers" get on the news by staging some sort of picket outside Cracker Barrel, the public perception of us will not be good.

We need to be more professional, not less.

If you want to inform the management that you will no longer eat there if he asks you to leave, fine. Be polite. You wouldn't start yellin' and carryin' on, would you? " 'elp, 'elp, I'm bein' oppressed!"

Who said anything about being unprofessional? Not me. Your words.

There were some who said the same thing about our fighting the ARTS BEATS & EATS illegal gun ban. "The public will turn on us." This will lead to Lansing doing away with preemption". Guess what? NONE of that came to be. The only thing we have to fear is fear its self folks.

You advocated protests outside Cracker Barrel, a private company, during peak business hours where the media would report on it. I view that as unprofessional.

This was before I was involved in the OC community. Did you hold public protests and pickets at the AB&E? Hold up signs? Is AB&E a private company like Cracker Barrel that is actually allowed by law to make that rule? (I believe the answer to that is, "No.")
Ok, first, I'm not a "professional protester." In other words, I've never been paid for protesting. So I am a proud, UN-professional protester. Unless someone wants to pay me. I could sure use the money right now.

Second, as I recall, AB&E may be a private company, but I believe they were doing business on PUBLIC property. Doesn't that negate private property rights? If it doesn't, it should. At least with regards to violating my right of self defense.

And as long as the protests are conducted in a polite manner, what's the big deal? As long as those protesting don't follow in the foot steps of the left wing Occupy movement, I don't see a problem.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
I called a supervisor at Cracker Barrel and this is what was concluded.

They have a policy on open carry, if a manager sees the firearm they'll ask you to return the firearm to the vehicle. There is no policy on conceal carry, out of sight out of mind. The supervisor wouldn't comment further than, "I can't see conceal carry."

End of conversation summary.

So, open carry is off limits at cracker barrel. They do follow state law though, so if conceal carry is allowed, then it's allowed at a cracker barrel.

To you all: You have a choice: conceal, leave your gun in the car or go elsewhere.

Their application of this policy apparently varies from location to location. Grandville, MI allows OC; never had a problem. Always have positive comments, though...

FreeInAZ

+1

Ok, first, I'm not a "professional protester." In other words, I've never been paid for protesting. So I am a proud, UN-professional protester. Unless someone wants to pay me. I could sure use the money right now.

Second, as I recall, AB&E may be a private company, but I believe they were doing business on PUBLIC property. Doesn't that negate private property rights? If it doesn't, it should. At least with regards to violating my right of self defense.

And as long as the protests are conducted in a polite manner, what's the big deal? As long as those protesting don't follow in the foot steps of the left wing Occupy movement, I don't see a problem.

^^^
This to all of the above! Thanks Al.
@ Griff let's just agree that we can agree on most stuff. ;)

Last edited:

Bronson

Did you hold public protests and pickets at the AB&E? Hold up signs?

Contact PDinDetroit for clarification because he was the spearhead on the AB&E issue. IIRC the main thrust of that whole deal happened BEFORE the event was held. Somebody noticed (maybe PDinD) their policy online and it was fought, and won, beforehand so that by the time the event took place the policy had been changed and there wasn't a need for protests at the event.

If somebody has a better recollection or actual links to cites/posts please correct me.

Bronson

griffin

@ Griff let's just agree that we can agree on most stuff. ;)

I agree!
cheers2.gif
cheers.gif

onestar 50

So the managers at the Grandville, MI Cracker Barrel saw you open carry and didn't ask you to leave or put your weapon in the car.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Do they allow it or has the wrong person not noticed it yet?

Bronson

The managers have seen me and Steel Magnolia in there very often. Last time we were in, SM wore her Ruger Blackhawk 45LC in a cowboy rig, with rounds all around the belt. Pretty hard to miss. Several guests commented on how cool it was! I was carrying my usual 1911 Govt.

kubel

Simply stated, our policy is that we will not seat or serve patrons who are openly carrying or wearing firearms unless the patrons are law enforcement officers, security guards, or uniformed military personnel.

I am my own security guard, does that count? Or are they talking about their own security guards?

Last edited:

Bronson

The managers have seen me and Steel Magnolia in there very often.

Are you're saying that you will continue to support an organization with a corporate level policy against OC because the manager at the one you go to is willing to break the rules and ignore your OCing?

Hashbrown casserole > solidarity?

Bronson

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Are you're saying that you will continue to support an organization with a corporate level policy against OC because the manager at the one you go to is willing to break the rules and ignore your OCing?

Hashbrown casserole > solidarity?

Bronson

Not until I'm see a sign on the door of the one I frequent. They have given the local stores latitude, and I can support that.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I am my own security guard, does that count? Or are they talking about their own security guards?
Most likely, they're referring to uniformed security guards. Although why them, and not CPL holders, I'll never understand. Most armed security guards in this state don't have anymore training than a CPL holder does.