• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Craziest thing you have heard While you were Oc'ing

J.Gleason

Banned
No wonder everyone says you're a dick.

That has no bearing in WI. What does is the statute as written, and relevant case law; none of which requires retreat.

Gee Drew a member with only 6 posts and you attack people who have been members for years.
I think an apology is in order.

In case you haven't noticed personal attacks are not allowed in this forum. We all have the right to disagree with each other but lets keep the name calling out of it. It has finally gotten to a cordial atmosphere here so lets keep it that way.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Case law conceeds retreat goes to reasonableness of force.

That has no bearing in WI. What does is the statute as written, and relevant case law; none of which requires retreat.
Do you mean this case law, State v. Wenger, 225 Wis. 2d 495, 593 N.W.2d 467 (Ct. App. 1999),98−1739.?

Wisc. Stats. Annotated said:
While there is no statutory duty to retreat, whether the opportunity to retreat was available goes to whether the defendant reasonably believed the force used was necessary to prevent an interference with his or her person. A jury instruction to that effect was proper. State v. Wenger, 225 Wis. 2d 495, 593 N.W.2d 467 (Ct. App. 1999),98−1739.
While introducing a clause that expresses a concession.

USMC1986

"Guns on scene greatly increase the chance they'll be used" is what I heard from an anti one time.

I replied with, "seat belts strategically placed in cars, will greatly increase the chance they'll be used."

M

McX

with everyone having greater access to cars and cellphones, and computers, there is a greater chance they will be used.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
There is endless discussion - elsewhere - of the fact that the use of helmets increases their need. It is called risk replacement or displacement. The user is comfortable with some level of risk, while the helmet reduces it, allowing the user to engage in even riskier behaviors to seek his level of comfort.

I think Lott discusses it, maybe in his 'deterrence hypothesis' of More Guns.

paul@paul-fisher.com

There is endless discussion - elsewhere - of the fact that the use of helmets increases their need. It is called risk replacement or displacement. The user is comfortable with some level of risk, while the helmet reduces it, allowing the user to engage in even riskier behaviors to seek his level of comfort.

I think Lott discusses it, maybe in his 'deterrence hypothesis' of More Guns.

True. Soon after using helmets during battle, the incidence of serious head wounds jumped! They were wondering why and then figured out that what used to be a fatality is now a serious head wound.

phred

withdraw if you can

Case law conceeds retreat goes to reasonableness of force.......

The point is, a plea of self-defense has to be made and a jury/judge must decide on what a reasonable person would do if faced with the same circumstances. The four points mentioned previously are critical in your defense. A question will be asked "why did you not try to get away before you shot?" If you answer "I didn't have to", you will be painted as a vigilante and self-defense is out the window. If you have NO OTHER options, then the shooting has a better chance of being "justified". IMHO

Doug is correct in his analysis.

kd6sxa

Hey did you her about the guy on this forum that started a thread called "Craziest thing you have heard While you were Oc'ing"? It starts out with this guy relaying a conversation at a KFC/A & W. It was a funny story. But then these other guy's started a urinating contest and the whole thing kinda derailed. It was this one.

M

McX

kd6, i know, and i understand. tonight i wax philosophically. some days the train is on track, some days it is half derailed, but every day; the train is there.

phred

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Hey did you her about the guy on this forum that started a thread called "Craziest thing you have heard While you were Oc'ing"? It starts out with this guy relaying a conversation at a KFC/A & W. It was a funny story. But then these other guy's started a urinating contest and the whole thing kinda derailed. It was this one.

Derailed or not, these things happen to almost every other thread. Question - Did you or anybody learn something from the "micturition"? If so, then maybe it was worth it.

I've learned a lot from this forum and much of it has been from the train wrecks.

Captain Nemo

"Withdraw" only comes into effect if provocation is present. If a person provocates another into attacking him/her that person is not privleged to claim self defense unless the attack is of such nature that great bodily harm or death is imminent. If the provocator "withdraws" from the altercation with notice and the other person re-initiates the attack without new provocation then the person that was originally the provocator can claim the privlege of self-defense as contained in sec.(1). There is no duty to retreat under sec.(1).

That's how I see it. IANL

Captain Nemo

I'm amazed that the use of the word libtard has garnered such a spate of ire. In my short time on this forum I have seen Doug Huffman, in spite of his recognized intelligence, called every derogatory name that comes to mind, with little concern to anyone. Are we all hypocrites? Who threw the first stone?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Craziest thing heard while OCing?

The six or seven OCers at Tony's Restaurant in Manassas VA heard a cop demand that they conceal their handguns, the OCers at that instant being in a restaurant licensed to serve alcohol, such gun-hiding being expressly illegal in such restaurant at the time. Imagine that. A cop demanding you do something illegal.

A moment later the same cop demanded to see their ID while having no authority to make the demand, but such rights violations are business-as-usual for many cops, and thus does not qualify as a crazy thing heard.

Last edited:

otter

Gee Drew a member with only 6 posts and you attack people who have been members for years.
I think an apology is in order.

In case you haven't noticed personal attacks are not allowed in this forum. We all have the right to disagree with each other but lets keep the name calling out of it. It has finally gotten to a cordial atmosphere here so lets keep it that way.

Maybe you didn't read close enough, but I said "No wonder people call you [referring to Doug] a dick". I didn't flat out call him any names.

I may have 6 posts, but take a look at the registration date. I've been around awhile, and lurked even longer before actually joining.

Do you mean this case law, State v. Wenger, 225 Wis. 2d 495, 593 N.W.2d 467 (Ct. App. 1999),98−1739.?

While introducing a clause that expresses a concession.

Please point me to the part in that case decision that says I must retreat before taking any defensive action. Perhaps I missed it?

I'm amazed that the use of the word libtard has garnered such a spate of ire. In my short time on this forum I have seen Doug Huffman, in spite of his recognized intelligence, called every derogatory name that comes to mind, with little concern to anyone. Are we all hypocrites? Who threw the first stone?

funny post of the day

Archangel

:lol:

I've never had anybody say anything "crazy" to me, but have gotten a lot of the usual:

1) Are you a cop?

2) Izzat a REAL gun?

3) Izzat thing loaded?

4) Why are you carrying a gun?

Usually in that order.