• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crime free society

docwatson

imported post

This parallels a book I read where the gene for male aggression was wiped out - only to discover a threat from space in the last paragraph.

I would keep mine as a collector or as a means of response against an 'alien' invader or simply as a means to say 'this should remind us of what happens when things were very bad'.

Prophet

imported post

I'll answer your question without making a philosophical stance on the nature of human beings, i mean jeez...just answer the question...its a simple yes or no people.

Anyways, my answer is no. I would not give up my firearm. But in the perfect world where crime and tyranny aren't present I would give up my bullets. I just really like my gun. :lol:

Kind of like a keepsake.

By the by...you also didnt make specific reference to there not being zombies or space aliens so i assume those are also not concerns.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
Ok, I'll be the rabid gun nut. No, I wouldn't give up my guns, because I don't believe it would be a fair trade-off. Maybe if I owned guns ONLY for self-defense, I'd consider it, but I just plain enjoy shooting and collecting guns. So no, I don't think I'd want to give that up so YOU could have crime and tyranny free society. For my part, I'm happy to take my chances that I won't be a victim, and if I am, that I will be able to defend myself. Personally, I think it's worth it.

Too many people think that the most important thing we can do is to "save lives" or "make the world safer". By doing that, we are condeming our posterity to truly horrible conditions. The world population has grown from about 3 billion to almost 7 billion in just FIFTY years (perhaps a bit less, even). Just imagine how much worse it would be if just 10% of people who died young in the last 50 years (under say age 50) had lived to 70.

I saw this show about scientists that swear that within a few decades, they will be able to extend human life spans by 40%, and some estimates even claimed about 200-250%! At first, I thought, "how cool, I could live 300 years, that would be awesome". Then I thought about what kinds of conditions the world would be in in another 250 years with the population growning like it has been, and decided I would be better off dead.

Too many people fear death. Death is just the logical conclusion to life.

Interesting perspective. Reality sucks sometimes.

tarzan1888

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
I had an interesting question posed to me today so I wanted to get some opinions on it. I wasn't sure how to respond because it isn't something I had ever really though of. With that said, there's some things that need to be understood to keep this from going grossly off-track:

1. This is purely hypothetical. Don't get caught up in how unrealistic it is.

2. The question is posed Constitution and American law ASIDE. Don't get caught up in whether it's Constitutional or what the Supreme Court has to say about it.

If a 100% crime and tyrannyfree society could be created by eliminating all weapons, would you willingly give up your guns?

After thinking about it for quite some time I'd challenge anyone that says no to thoroughly explain themselves and then take a careful look at their purpose for carrying a gun. The scenario is obviously impossible, but the intent of the question couldn't be more clear.

No....Because I enjoy punching holes in paper from a distance.

Tarzan

Huck

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
If a 100% crime and tyrannyfree society could be created by eliminating all weapons, would you willingly give up your gun?

No I would'nt, and here's why.

(1) I enjoy shooting as a recreation and...

(2) Just because this hypothetical society iscrime and tyranny free now dos'nt mean it's going to stay that way.

It's all about human nature folks. If the populance is helpless there are those who will prey on them and/or attempt to dominate them. Sadly, that's the way it's always been and always will be.

Decoligny

imported post

"by getting rid of all weapons" is a very broad requirement.

Just looking at my desk, here is a short list of the weapons that I have within reach

Computer Wires - Garrote

Pens & Pencils - Stabbing

Letter Opener - Stabbing

X-acto knife - Slicing

Razor Blade - Slicing

Coffee Mug - Bludgeon

Glue remover - Poison

Power Cords - Electricution

My Brain - Used to devise weapons from anything close at hand, or to use my body itself as a weapon.

So, for establishing the utopian society with no crime or tyranny, we must eliminate all weapons, therefore, we must remove all physical objects from existiance, and we must modify the human body to eliminate the ability to think and move.

Totally Peaceful Society achieved at last.

cemetary.jpg

Legba

imported post

I'd prefer not to give up guns, even with the promise of utopia in the balance (utopia literally means 'elsewhere' anyway, so even the Greeks knew the notion was bunk to start with). I still like blowing up paper, beer cans, junk cars, etc, and occasional hunting trips, apart from the security angle.

-ljp

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

No sir.

What about those who hunt (I used to)? Or those who love to target shoot? Or those who collect guns for whatever reason? Or those who love the things for their beauty and mechanical excellence? Or finally, those who just like to have a firearm at their side?

Nope. Arms are as natural and integral to humans as gathering and comsuming food. Why on earth would anyone want to do away with them?

yeahYeah

imported post

Legba wrote:
I'd prefer not to give up guns, even with the promise of utopia in the balance (utopia literally means 'elsewhere' anyway, so even the Greeks knew the notion was bunk to start with). I still like blowing up paper, beer cans, junk cars, etc, and occasional hunting trips, apart from the security angle.

-ljp
a good example of "utopia" is the failed soviet union.

Prophet

imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
Besides, utopia would just be boring.
Reminds me of the Matrix. If you recall the initial computer program gave humanity a utopia and it killed scores of people because humankind does not accept a utopian society.

WhiteFeather

imported post

This is not the first time I heard this question, nor is it the first time I have answered in the respect I did.

The fact that is was posed by a anti-gun/anti carry person proves that there is more behind the question. And also more to be learned by the answer.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

WhiteFeather wrote:
This is not the first time I heard this question, nor is it the first time I have answered in the respect I did.

The fact that is was posed by a anti-gun/anti carry person proves that there is more behind the question. And also more to be learned by the answer.

I agree. I think it's actually an excellent question and the way in which someone chooses to answer or not answer it offers a lot of insight into their thinking.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

There's actually more to this than you think.

Human beings NEED conflict to continue to survive. It started several million years ago, in fact. We evolved our level of intelligence out of a necessity to survive, to defend against predators, and to eventually become predators ourselves.

Over the millennia, nearly all technological advances came about from a need to either kill other humans, or to defend against other humans trying to kill you, or to kill animals for food.

Humans are a violent species, a predatory species, and will most likely die out if they lose that predatory instinct. We as a species would not survive long in a true utopia.

On a completely different subject: Why does my Firefox spell check not work on this forum?

Orygunner

imported post

Even in this wildly hypothetical situation, I am certain I would not give mine up.

I put the value of individual liberties above the so-called"good of society." I like to target shoot. I occasionally like to hunt. I like being able to carry a firearm to protect myself and my family. I like being somewhat of an activist for the right to carry by OCing when I can. These liberties are more important to methan a utopian "crime and tyranny free society"

They could conceivably eliminate 100% of crime if they strapped every personin a society down to separated individual tableswith nobody else but robot servants to feed & clean us. Crime andTyranny free at the almost total cost of freedom?

Wait... Would that still be Tyranny? Merriam-Webster Definition#3: a rigorous condition imposed by some outside agency or force. Nope, there'd still be tyranny. So how CAN we eliminate crime without tyranny? I don't think you can eliminate crime, but couldn't tyranny get the closest to the goal?

If someone told me I would save one life or a million by giving up some of my liberty, I call BULLS#&%! Even ifthe murder orother crime rates did godown by removing all weapons, It makes no sense to.I am not responsible for anyone's death unless I pull the trigger myself,I irresponsibly allow my firearm into the wrong hands, or I am negligent in protecting the lives of myself and my family.

...I wouldn't give mine up anyway, because even if you eliminate crime & tyranny, what about Bears[suP]TM[/suP], Cougars[suP]TM[/suP], and Vicious Dogs[suP]TM[/suP]???...
...Orygunner...

Orygunner

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
"by getting rid of all weapons" is a very broad requirement.

Just looking at my desk, here is a short list of the weapons that I have within reach

Computer Wires - Garrote

Pens & Pencils - Stabbing

Letter Opener - Stabbing

X-acto knife - Slicing

Razor Blade - Slicing

Coffee Mug - Bludgeon

Glue remover - Poison

Power Cords - Electricution

My Brain - Used to devise weapons from anything close at hand, or to use my body itself as a weapon.

Well, aren't you just a regular Jason Bourne? :lol:

...Sorry, don't kill me...It was a JOKE! *Schunk* *Thud!*...
...O...O...o........