• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Culpeper shooting

Blk97F150

Not to derail the thread....

This has happened to me, twice, so far: being part of a blanket stop of all drivers to check for DL's (and the usual fishing expedition, too, of course). Being of a mind to consider this a "show me your papers" and not knowing of any legal requirement to respond to such a request when there is no traffic citation involved, I have initially refused. Then, after a little verbal interplay back and forth, I have complied, just to be on my way.

So: IS there a legal requirement to show the DL with no RAS or is this another thing that cops do, because they have always done it, and because they can, and because, as I did, most people just want to be on their way, and, as you say, there is nothing to stop them?

If there is no such requirement, my response will be different, the next time.

Just to clairify... were you stopped, as in 'pulled over' by a police car with lights flashing, etc.... or did you pass through a 'Checkpoint' and they asked for ID there? I think police at 'checkpoints' have more leeway in demanding 'papers pleeze'....

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not to derail the thread....

This has happened to me, twice, so far: being part of a blanket stop of all drivers to check for DL's (and the usual fishing expedition, too, of course). Being of a mind to consider this a "show me your papers" and not knowing of any legal requirement to respond to such a request when there is no traffic citation involved, I have initially refused. Then, after a little verbal interplay back and forth, I have complied, just to be on my way.

So: IS there a legal requirement to show the DL with no RAS or is this another thing that cops do, because they have always done it, and because they can, and because, as I did, most people just want to be on their way, and, as you say, there is nothing to stop them?

If there is no such requirement, my response will be different, the next time.

I'm going to get called on this Nemo, because I don't have time to look up the Cites. I expect kidmark knows them by heart.

DUI and Drivers License checks are legal but are tightly controlled. It has gone to court and that's when some of the restrictions were put in place.

In a nutshell, If you're driving, you need a license (Kinda like a CHP:lol:) . Check points can be set up but must be planned in advance, put in certain spots (Site distance, etc), be for a specific purpose like checking licenses or DUI's and be signed off on by a supervisor.

You do not have to allow a search of the vehicle or provide papers other than DL and registration.
If you re operating anything that does not require a license, you don't have to show anything.

I don't like the damn things either.

That's the Readers Digest Version.

nemo

Just to clairify... were you stopped, as in 'pulled over' by a police car with lights flashing, etc.... or did you pass through a 'Checkpoint' and they asked for ID there? I think police at 'checkpoints' have more leeway in demanding 'papers pleeze'....

No; if I am stopped by a police car with flashing lights, thenn I am pretty sure that he thinks that I have committed some traffic violation.

When I said a blanket stop, I meant that all drivers had to stop at a check point, at which the drivers were asked for the DL. I was not aware that the cops had more leeway, in that latter event.

nemo

I'm going to get called on this Nemo, because I don't have time to look up the Cites. I expect kidmark knows them by heart.

DUI and Drivers License checks are legal but are tightly controlled. It has gone to court and that's when some of the restrictions were put in place.

In a nutshell, If you're driving, you need a license (Kinda like a CHP:lol:) . Check points can be set up but must be planned in advance, put in certain spots (Site distance, etc), be for a specific purpose like checking licenses or DUI's and be signed off on by a supervisor.

You do not have to allow a search of the vehicle or provide papers other than DL and registration.
If you re operating anything that does not require a license, you don't have to show anything.

I don't like the damn things either.

That's the Readers Digest Version.

Well, heck: if they are legal and tightly controlled and restrictions are in place, then what more do I want?

Allow a search? Not a chance. No license required? Darn right I won't show anything.

Oh, well: learn something new every day.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well, heck: if they are legal and tightly controlled and restrictions are in place, then what more do I want?

Allow a search? Not a chance. No license required? Darn right I won't show anything.

Oh, well: learn something new every day.

One other thing, they do not have to check everyone but if they don't, it has to be in the plan. For instance they could only stop every 3rd car.

OC for ME

The reality that despite what you think you have a right to know...it probably isn't going to happen.

I've never had it 50-50. If he can arrest you, he already would have.
You are correct on the 'right to know' even if public monies are used for the cops defense, I concede the point.

If a cop has enough to arrest you as you state it ain't a 'consensual contact' is it now. So, keep on walking cuz the cop ain't arrested you yet has he.

OC for ME

Consensual encounters can be fun and educating - a lot like dry firing and laser tag, but with the possibility of off field continuation up the chain. :lol:

If no new jewelry, what's the problem? Keep it verbal, smile a lot and enjoy the diversion. More than once I've said, "That's an interesting concept? Is it policy?"
Getting a rise out of a cop you 'bust' as under-educated or uneducated may be a game played on a razor's edge. You may be playing the game with a cop who may not like to 'lose' on the side of the road.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot Consensual encounters can be fun and educating - a lot like dry firing and laser tag, but with the possibility of off field continuation up the chain. :lol:

If no new jewelry, what's the problem? Keep it verbal, smile a lot and enjoy the diversion. More than once I've said, "That's an interesting concept? Is it policy?"
Getting a rise out of a cop you 'bust' as under-educated or uneducated may be a game played on a razor's edge. You may be playing the game with a cop who may not like to 'lose' on the side of the road.

Not intended to be used in side of the road court, when pulled for an alleged infraction.

Was referring to so called consensual conversations. If we don't educate, who will?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not intended to be used in side of the road court, when pulled for an alleged infraction.

Was referring to so called consensual conversations. If we don't educate, who will?

Yep!

I remember a conversation between a well known Gun rights activist and a Campus Safety Officer.

Looking at his 1911.
Is that loaded?
Yes, it's not a very good club/

No, I mean is it cocked.

Yes but don't worry, I have the hammer back.:lol:

And NO, that wasn't me.

And at the same gathering after being told to stay off of campus, another colorful fellow playing Vampire with school personnel.

You have to invite me to come over there before I can buy any flowers....want me to buy some flowers?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
And at the same gathering after being told to stay off of campus, another colorful fellow playing Vampire with school personnel.

Yeah, but he was grinning from ear to ear when he said it. They had flowers. They wanted him to buy flowers. Stupic cop ruined everything by thelling them not to sell him any flowers.:cry:

stay safe.

Marco

The alleged offense no, the fishing trip.. you better believe it.
Some that live off the peoples money need to be educated by those that pay their bills.

I like to ignore them and than watch them get mad.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Realistically, I expect there will be motions and such with a new date set.

I think this is B day. The Bail end should be pretty cut and dry and I doubt Mom is going to need a court appointed attorney. It may go pretty quickly.

mk4

anyone know, offhand, what time it's on the docket?

found it, maybe, in the va courts information system: http://wasdmz2.courts.state.va.us/CJISWeb/circuit.html
looks like 9:30, unless that's just when the docket opens.

for anyone interested, below are the case #s shown in the system for the officer and his mother.
officer:
CR12000131-01
CR12000131-02
CR12000131-03
CR12000131-04
mother:
CR12000133-01
CR12000133-02
CR12000133-03
CR12000133-04
CR12000133-05
CR12000133-06