• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Culpeper shooting

Sheriff

Cite please.

BTW - false allegation of wrong doing is tantamount to a personal attack.

Edited to reflect the apparent error in claiming Peter Nap's postings here were personal attacks. Now as to a Moderator's alleged misconduct, please site or withdraw the comment, sir.

1245A Defender is simply the most recent member you guys seem to have dissed off. No big deal, there will be more. As I have said before, this place ran much smoother back when Mike and John policed the place. Wasn't all this squabbling back and forth and all the battles of wit when Mike and John were active members. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!" if the place goes to hades in a handbasket. :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Cite please.

Edited to reflect the apparent error in claiming Peter Nap's postings here were personal attacks. Now as to a Moderator's alleged misconduct, please site or withdraw the comment, sir.

1245A Defender is simply the most recent member you guys seem to have dissed off. No big deal, there will be more. As I have said before, this place ran much smoother back when Mike and John policed the place. Wasn't all this squabbling back and forth and all the battles of wit when Mike and John were active members. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!" if the place goes to hades in a handbasket. :lol:

This site is still very much controlled by the owners thereof - that they may not be so obvious to anyone should not be cause to think otherwise.

Calling for cites, correcting false impressions and adherence to the rules is hardly "squabbling."

I do agree that sometimes the 'old ways' are the best. To that regard I will hence forth edit/delete the more egregious off topic postings to this thread, especially those that center on negative references to personalities rather than on facts, opinions and/or thoughts directly related to the central theme of this thread.

"Frankly, my dear, I [strike]don't[/strike] give a damn!"

Last edited:

Sheriff

What? I attacked someone? What did I say, and to whom?

Well, you sorta made me mad in the Richmond July 10 thread. Does that count? You're safe to go now that you know I'm not going?? I will have to keep that in mind in the future..... my going to an OC event is likely to make others not go. Interesting.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, you sorta made me mad in the Richmond July 10 thread. Does that count? You're safe to go now that you know I'm not going?? I will have to keep that in mind in the future..... my going to an OC event is likely to make others not go. Interesting.

Which begs the question - do you or have you attended OC events?

Is User not permitted tongue-in-cheek when others photoshop and post the results w/o any more specificity?

Sheriff

Which begs the question - do you or have you attended OC events?

Is User not permitted tongue-in-cheek when others photoshop and post the results w/o any more specificity?

I would have to say YES, YES, NO, YES and NO. Pick out which answer you want to apply to which question.

I was somewhat/slightly disturbed by user's statement..... because of all the people here, he is the one person I would most like to meet in person. Many of my best friends are attorneys, and I enjoy discussions about the law and certain cases with them often. I imagine user and I could sit around for hours just discussing the Culpeper case alone. He would most likely like to know why I feel the way I do about the Culpeper case (or maybe not). And I would like for him to tell me the things he has said here with a straight face. I know he has a job to do, but I will never believe he thinks he can win this case with an absolute acquittal.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I assure you, Sheriff, that was intended only as humor. I apologize for the offense. Anytime you want to get together, let me know. Send me an email, whydoncha, and tell me, first off, where you're located. Depending on where you are, it may be easier or more difficult to meet up. But I'd be happy to do it.

Sheriff

I assure you, Sheriff, that was intended only as humor. I apologize for the offense. Anytime you want to get together, let me know. Send me an email, whydoncha, and tell me, first off, where you're located. Depending on where you are, it may be easier or more difficult to meet up. But I'd be happy to do it.

OK. Thanks. I thought maybe I had made you mad with my opinion on guilt in the Culpeper case. It's hard to decipher the true intent of a lot of remarks here in this forum, there's just no published list of emoticons to use and place beside said remarks here.

I had lunch with a very prominent and high ranking law enforcement official last week, and he shares the same opinion that most of us in my area do.... that the cop stepped over the line and exceeded his authority once he was free from the vehicle but continued to shoot anyway. While many, including myself, do not advocate endangering the public with a high speed pursuit in this case, we all feel his only choice was to get in his car, call for backup, and follow the woman. It has been a rude awakening to me to see that I haven't found one sworn officer who feels the officer was right in what he did.

It's no secret, I am in Charlottesville. I can take you to our now infamous bagel shoppe when you pass through this area one day. :lol:

I will probably also have occasion to meet you in Culpeper too. I plan on attending some of the defense evidence in the case at least.

(I still believe the cop went into video game mode once the sheet hit the fan in Culpeper. It's a new phenomenon with very little research done to date. The cop is in the age range of the kids who grew up playing these violent shoot'em'up video games.)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

(I still believe the cop went into video game mode once the sheet hit the fan in Culpeper. It's a new phenomenon with very little research done to date. The cop is in the age range of the kids who grew up playing these violent shoot'em'up video games.)

Research Force Science Institute (http://www.forcescience.org/) you might find something relevant, although I cannot recall a specific study relating directly to that subject.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Cite please.

Edited to reflect the apparent error in claiming Peter Nap's postings here were personal attacks. Now as to a Moderator's alleged misconduct, please cite or withdraw the comment, sir.

For the record, personal attacks concealed beneath a veneer of implication, humor and polite civility are merely a passive-aggressive version of ordinary personal attacks.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen. Let me ask you: did you grow up playing violent video games?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Sheriff

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen. Let me ask you: did you grow up playing violent video games?

Think he might have grown up in the era when word game and quiz shows were the rage on TV - "What's My Line" comes to mind :p

Sheriff

Let me ask you: did you grow up playing violent video games?

Absolutely not. By age 19.5 (1972), I had been hired on as a sworn deputy sheriff (youngest to ever carry a gun in my area), had my own residence, and had a brand new car. I was years ahead of my friends in the same aage group. I didn't live with mommy in her basement playing violent video games and thinking some type of employment would eventually drop in my lap if I waited long enough.

Combined with the fact that the really good "shoot 'em all, let God sort them out" video games didn't come out until I was 35+ years old. It's a strange creature that sits around at this age playing video games, in my opinion.

I have no idea what What's My Line and Ed Sullivan were really, never watched either show. Me thinks those protesting the loudest are actually showing their ages.

Sheriff

For the record, personal attacks concealed beneath a veneer of implication, humor and polite civility are merely a passive-aggressive version of ordinary personal attacks.

OHHH MMYYYYYY!! That's pretty good!

And I agree 100%. But they can't see their own actions.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Absolutely not. By age 19.5 (1972), I had been hired on as a sworn deputy sheriff (youngest to ever carry a gun in my area), had my own residence, and had a brand new car. I was years ahead of my friends in the same aage group. I didn't live with mommy in her basement playing violent video games and thinking some type of employment would eventually drop in my lap if I waited long enough.

Combined with the fact that the really good "shoot 'em all, let God sort them out" video games didn't come out until I was 35+ years old. It's a strange creature that sits around at this age playing video games, in my opinion.

I have no idea what What's My Line and Ed Sullivan were really, never watched either show. Me thinks those protesting the loudest are actually showing their ages.

Yeah, I'm young enough to have played video games as a kid. Then again, Pong was 1972, so that doesn't say much. :p

My point is just that, studies aside, it helps to have actually BTDT to understand why most young people disregard the "violent video games" effect.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
Me thinks those protesting the loudest are actually showing their ages.

Hardly protesting - tongue-in-cheek musing.

Has above average age become a negative issue? Surely you are not suggesting discrimination because of someone's age.

Many societies hold in some esteem those that have managed to survive and offer their council based on collective experiences.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yeah, I'm young enough to have played video games as a kid. Then again, Pong was 1972, so that doesn't say much. :p

My point is just that, studies aside, it helps to have actually BTDT to understand why most young people disregard the "violent video games" effect.

Are you suggesting that those "young people" can actually tell the difference between a video game and reality? Is there sincerely an application of cognitive ability that only results in a self-defense stance and not an aggressive motivation? --sarcasm off--

Point of fact - a lot of us played Cowboy & Indians, Cops & Robbers, and (gasp) Dodge Ball w/o becoming products of the games we played.

Sheriff

http://archive.news.iastate.edu/news/2010/mar/vvgeffects

quote: "And the effects are that exposure to violent video games increases the likelihood of aggressive behavior in both short-term and long-term contexts. Such exposure also increases aggressive thinking and aggressive affect, and decreases prosocial behavior."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111130095251.htm

quote: "Sustained changes in the region of the brain associated with cognitive function and emotional control were found in young adult men after one week of playing violent video games, according to study results presented by Indiana University School of Medicine researchers at the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America."

I could import 2,000 links like these. The results of all studies are pretty much inconclusive though. I stand by my opinion that violent video games are responsible for a lot of what is going bad in law enforcement nowadays. I don't have the money to do research though. :lol: