• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Culpeper shooting

Sheriff

By the way, as we enter Page 70 of this thread, can anybody remember what any of this has to do with Open Carry?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://archive.news.iastate.edu/news/2010/mar/vvgeffects

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111130095251.htm

I stand by my opinion that violent video games are responsible for a lot of what is going bad in law enforcement nowadays. I don't have the money to do research though. :lol:

It's always helpful to define the "violent behavior" that is being blamed on violent video games. As well as looking at not only the cognitive changes being attributed to such, but the prevalance of such changes across the population not only of test subjects but the extrapolation to the general population. ALL of which is missing here.

And for anybody to "prove conclusively" that one variable is responsible for a change in behavior - especially across a large population - is so outrageous as to be laughable.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
By the way, as we enter Page 70 of this thread, can anybody remember what any of this has to do with Open Carry?

Events/incidents relative to use of force and the decisions of law enforcement, prosecutors and the courts are all pertinent to the site.

Meanwhile we actively await the next phase of this to play out as we hypothesize certain elements.

Dreamer

Are you suggesting that those "young people" can actually tell the difference between a video game and reality? Is there sincerely an application of cognitive ability that only results in a self-defense stance and not an aggressive motivation? --sarcasm off--

Point of fact - a lot of us played Cowboy & Indians, Cops & Robbers, and (gasp) Dodge Ball w/o becoming products of the games we played.

The psychological and biophysical effects of full-immersion first-person shooting games are FAR more profound on the minds and bodies of habitual players than the effects of "play acting" games like Cowboy & Indians or Cops & Robbers.

Go play HALO for a few hours, and then check your EEG, pulse rate, and blood pressure...

Sheriff

The cop was OC. He won.

I don't think being charged with MURDER, malicious shooting into an occupied vehicle, malicious shooting into an occupied vehicle resulting in a death, and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony is an official definition you'll find in any dictionary of winning.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The psychological and biophysical effects of full-immersion first-person shooting games are FAR more profound on the minds and bodies of habitual players than the effects of "play acting" games like Cowboy & Indians or Cops & Robbers.

Go play HALO for a few hours, and then check your EEG, pulse rate, and blood pressure...

lol. Ever done what you're suggesting? Because, yeah. lol.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Agreed. But just how long do those effects last? And how do they effect behavior (short- and long-term) following a session? Are there any studies that document that habitual play has altered basic personality, which might be an indicator of changed behavior?

And just to go "in your face" - Go play chess[SUP]1[/SUP] for a few hours, and then check your EEG, pulse rate, and blood pressure.

stay safe.

[SUP]1[/SUP]Or engage in any competitive activity.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Agreed. But just how long do those effects last? And how do they effect behavior (short- and long-term) following a session? Are there any studies that document that habitual play has altered basic personality, which might be an indicator of changed behavior?

And just to go "in your face" - Go play chess[SUP]1[/SUP] for a few hours, and then check your EEG, pulse rate, and blood pressure.

stay safe.

[SUP]1[/SUP]Or engage in any competitive activity.

They last a long time Skid. I still have the urge to hit Golf Balls and haven't played PONG for 30 years.

OC for ME

Hardly protesting - tongue-in-cheek musing.

Has above average age become a negative issue? Surely you are not suggesting discrimination because of someone's age.

Many societies hold in some esteem those that have managed to survive and offer their council based on collective experiences.
Yes....especially those still legally permitted to drive a motor vehicle....during rush hour.

Who are able to frequent....err....overrun the Chinese buffet on 'all you can eat crab legs night'.

And!!!

Many other things they are permitted to do before me, closer than me, slower than me, just because they are 'seasoned citizens'.

Sheriff

Yes....especially those still legally permitted to drive a motor vehicle....during rush hour.

You got that right! I agree. The vast majority of fatal crashes I have seen were caused by youthful drivers or old people. Kids shouldn't be allowed to drive by themselves before age 18. And anybody over 70 should have restricted driving privileges. Gun laws have the age thing pegged pretty well, but they overlooked the old and frail that shouldn't be handling firearms.

Greg30-06

You got that right! I agree. The vast majority of fatal crashes I have seen were caused by youthful drivers or old people. Kids shouldn't be allowed to drive by themselves before age 18. And anybody over 70 should have restricted driving privileges. Gun laws have the age thing pegged pretty well, but they overlooked the old and frail that shouldn't be handling firearms.

glad to know you don't think that may grandma has the same rights to self defense that you do. And before you say something about their mental competency, there are already laws on the books that deal with that. I believe it would be irresponsible to put an age cap on ones right to self defense.

Sheriff

glad to know you don't think that may grandma has the same rights to self defense that you do. And before you say something about their mental competency, there are already laws on the books that deal with that. I believe it would be irresponsible to put an age cap on ones right to self defense.

It's not entirely about AGE. Physical capabilities plays into it as well.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Then contact the Clerk of the Court or the Sheriff (the real one) and submit a written statement of why you think the person's right to carry should be limited/restricted/taken away. Of course you will have to testify in open court about why you think that should be done. I hear it's a bit difficult to disclaim sworn testimony, or claim you "mis-spoke" under oath.

You may not have much in the way of assetts but I'm sure there are a few "seasoned citizens" who would be pleased to have you working just for the sake of having a paycheck to turn over to them. I hear there is some talk of upping the pay on County work farms above $10/day. That ought to allow some $ beyond the contempt fines for folks who thought they could get out of paying by just refusing to work any more.

stay safe.

DocWalker

It's not entirely about AGE. Physical capabilities plays into it as well.

So people with handicaps can't defend themselves either? A bunch of my patients lost limbs they are between 20 and 50 years old but shouldn't be allowed to defend themselves?

A right handed soldier lost his right arm, he is learning to shoot left handed amoung other things, he isn't very good yet but I should tell him to stop trying as he has no right to attempt to defend himself or his family.

This is what it sounds like you are saying....

Sheriff

A right handed soldier lost his right arm, he is learning to shoot left handed amoung other things, he isn't very good yet but I should tell him to stop trying as he has no right to attempt to defend himself or his family. This is what it sounds like you are saying....

Until he has mastered shooting a firearm left handed, I would think he's a danger with a gun around his family. That's the answer you wanted, right?

Now the truth of the matter is the fact that a cop and/or soldier is cross trained. They are taught to switch hands in a second. I was. I can shoot left handed as well as I can right handed. Maybe you bring up a good point though.... maybe civilians should be cross trained too. For their own safety, and that of their families.

DocWalker

Until he has mastered shooting a firearm left handed, I would think he's a danger with a gun around his family. That's the answer you wanted, right?

Now the truth of the matter is the fact that a cop and/or soldier is cross trained. They are taught to switch hands in a second. I was. I can shoot left handed as well as I can right handed. Maybe you bring up a good point though.... maybe civilians should be cross trained too. For their own safety, and that of their families.

I trained to shoot left handed just incase someone tries to run me down while on my Harley, this way I don't have to let go of the gas.

As for my reason for posting it seems to be lost, who and where is the line of the handicap or disabled not being allowed to defend themselves. Does it have to be arms, what about someone that lost an eye or hearing. Maybe an head injury? Can someone who lost a leg defend themselves or just a foot or toe?

My point is these people can drive, hold jobs but can't defend themselves just because someone in a simuliar situation messed it up. When your a senior citizen lets see if you feel the same way.

My wife does drivers testing and the elderly have to test every year or more. Some of the poeple driving are in their 90's and sharp as tacks. I also know people in their 30's and 40's that shouldn't be driving.

Let's not make it about age but ability, let us not make it about disability but ability. This is all I'm saying.

Sheriff

If any person is physically capable of holding and firing a firearm in a safe and accurate manner, more power to them.

Except old people of course! :lol: