• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detained by NPD yet AGAIN!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

If you don't have a digital recorder, it might be a wise investment Dan.

I agree that it might be time for a walk around Norfolk - overload their circuits and bring much needed publicity to these rogue politicians and LE.

Yata hey

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
If you don't have a digital recorder, it might be a wise investment Dan.
He has one.. he has posted his audio or previous encounters. I even asked him where on his person he puts it and at the lastr recorded even, he simply held it in his hand!

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think they just have it out for Dan because he is black. I visit the Norfolk area every 2 months or so and OC in and out and up and down Granby, Tidewater, etc. I have had a marked norfolk car pull up and park behind me (backed into a space so they could watch) while I walked to and entered my vehicle and never once was detained or casually questioned. Not in stores or restaurants either. This even when a fatal shooting on the street happened in the neighborhood I was in. I am barely tan. I think that really does have a lot to do with it, sorry to say. Chin up Dan, you're doing great. And you have a lot of patience with the ignorant and would be bullies. Best to you.

rmodel65

imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
Seriously....you should have engraved on your carry weapon the following: "This gun was bought from the lawsuit won the last time a NPD officer arrested me for legally carrying a firearm. I am not a felon. Just a BMWAG."

hahah lol

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Since Dan hasn't returned to post yet, I'll fill in a few details. He called me while all this was going down. To answer Doug's question, yes, the first bus left while he was being questioned. Dan was detained for about 20 minutes. He had to wait for the next bus but said the next driver saw his pistol and didn't comment or stop the bus. To answer Dr. Mark, the police asked Dan to provide ID, and he declined. I told him I probably would have given my name to speed things up if I were in a hurry to get someplace, but Dan said "I don't care; I have all day. They can arrest me if they want". I told him he has brass ones to maintain that attitude, but you have to know Danbus: he doesn't suffer fools gladly, and is able to keep his cool despite the aggravation! I suggested he start carrying a document pack with citations to ordinances and case law showing that 1) OC is legal on public conveyances, 2)OC alone can't justify arrest for Disturbing the Peace and 3) there is no statutary requirement to provide ID documents unless one is charged with a crime.

I like the idea of a bus-in ! :celebrate

P.S. I reminded Dan of the OC dinner this Tuesday in Norfolk, but he can't make it because of work.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I suggested he start carrying a document pack with citations to ordinances and case law showing that 1) OC is legal on public conveyances, 2)OC alone can't justify arrest for Disturbing the Peace and 3) there is no statutary requirement to provide ID documents unless one is charged with a crime.
4) and a copy of the last check they had to pay you for the lawsuit you won from them detaining you last time.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Since Dan hasn't returned to post yet, I'll fill in a few details. He called me while all this was going down. To answer Doug's question, yes, the first bus left while he was being questioned. Dan was detained for about 20 minutes. He had to wait for the next bus but said the next driver saw his pistol and didn't comment or stop the bus. To answer Dr. Mark, the police asked Dan to provide ID, and he declined. I told him I probably would have given my name to speed things up if I were in a hurry to get someplace, but Dan said "I don't care; I have all day. They can arrest me if they want". I told him he has brass ones to maintain that attitude, but you have to know Danbus: he doesn't suffer fools gladly, and is able to keep his cool despite the aggravation! I suggested he start carrying a document pack with citations to ordinances and case law showing that 1) OC is legal on public conveyances, 2)OC alone can't justify arrest for Disturbing the Peace and 3) there is no statutary requirement to provide ID documents unless one is charged with a crime.

I like the idea of a bus-in ! :celebrate

Thanks for the update.

Are we really supposed to believe that these officers do not already know who he is?

SlackwareRobert

imported post

How about this angle.....

Since the bus driver called police, then drove off with your baggage....
Conspiracy to commit armed robbery by the two of them.
I would have polled the passengers as to which was disturbing, me sitting
down, or the driver parked on the side of the road insted of getting to
the destination.
I've ridden through that area on a bus, I shure wouldn't be unarmed
at those local bus stop areas at 2am.

LEO 229

imported post

In regards to race and drawing in the department.... Please remember WHO initiated the police to respond...... The bus driver!!

I have no idea what race the bus driver is but as we all know.... many citizens do NOT know about OC and that it is not against the law in Virginia.

Now... having said that.... The call taker should have been able to solicit enough information to get a mental picture that Dan was a paying customer on the bus with a holstered and openly displayed firearm.

No violations.....

So a FOIA to get the taped call to see exactly what was said would benice.

Now..... the police in Norfolk should have been educated on OC already. But... even if they had... They still are not sure what they have.

Remember that the police are getting details 3rd hand. The bus driver's version, the call taker's version.. not to mention how it is entered in written form and dispatched over the radio.

We all know that a sentence written down can easily be mistaken for something it is not.

But the police should be experienced enough to quickly determine that there was no violation of law.... unless Dan refused to identify himself as is required by a local ordinance.

rmodel65

imported post

even if he had refused he would have still been in the clear, that ordinance above said with PC or RAS. they had none

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Thanks!

Neplusultra

imported post

ed wrote:
attachment.php

This is my thought; Dan isn't actually "black", he's more a Haagen-Daz "Coffee" ice cream color. So he's not really being racially discriminated against. I think the real reason for his problems is that his "BMWAG" hat hasn't had the bill properly curved and is way too straight. This really annoys people who are in the know about baseball caps and what is and is not acceptable for the proper wearing of such. PS, the foo man choo beard doesn't help either. JMO :^)>.

Deanimator

imported post

Pretty soon, Dan's going to be a line-item in the Norfolk budget, like streets and sanitation!

Cities have lawyers on retainer; can they have a plaintiff on retainer??? ;)

rmodel65

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
Pretty soon, Dan's going to be a line-item in the Norfolk budget, like streets and sanitation!

haha lol /\ he might very well end up being a large part of their budget

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
Deanimator wrote:

haha lol / he might very well end up being a large part of their budget

I wonder if he needs a city license for that?:shock:

danbus

imported post

Sorry for taking so long to respond.

1. I dropped off my car at the dealership before getting on the buses. My recorder is in my car...:(

2. The bus driver that I believed whom call the police, was a black female.

3. After I got on next bus after the incident, the bus driver was also a black female.

4. According to that Norfolk code, it seems that it's part of a Terry Stop. But again, they DID NOT have reasonable suspicion.

5. I was illegally detained yet again...

6. It was a rumor that they had received training about approaching me (I was told at the VCDL picnic).

I know most of you would have shown ID, not because you didn't want to stand up for your rights, but most you have families to provide for. But I'm single, don't have any kids, and it was my day off.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

danbus wrote:
4. According to that Norfolk code, it seems that it's part of a Terry Stop. But again, they DID NOT have reasonable suspicion.

Then it was not a Terry stop. :) As you know, a Terry stop requires that there be reasonable suspicion of a crime.