• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DNR: "Don't shoot yourself"

Interceptor_Knight

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/news/DNRNews_Lookup.asp?id=249#art3
Hunting is safer – as long as you don’t shoot yourself
Hunter safety administrator statistics tell the story

MADISON – Wisconsin statistics show hunting is safe and getting safer, but the rate of unintentional self-inflicted injuries is on the rise.

No where do I see the statement made "Don't shoot yourself".... although it is inferred. I see nothing wrong with the way it is stated in this DNR "article".... The advisory is valid that hunters need to be cognizant of safety to reduce self inflicted injuries...

Interceptor_Knight

I included both the State and Media...are we good now ??:lol:

Mental side question.... after reading some of the statistics I wonder how many of these incidents happen that
are related to the Rem 700 trigger/safety that Rem refuses to do anything about.?

Just a personal thought and not meant to derail the topic.

Close to zero percent. If you read the reports, you will see that most all are the fault of the loose screw behind the trigger and not a mechanical malfunction...

swfaninwi

No where do I see the statement made "Don't shoot yourself".... although it is inferred. I see nothing wrong with the way it is stated in this DNR "article".... The advisory is valid that hunters need to be cognizant of safety to reduce self inflicted injuries...

The electric companies and newspapers did something similar during the first dove season a few years back. There were numerous articles about not shooting doves sitting on power lines. The articles made it sound like all hunters didn’t know better.

JoeSparky

Centurion
If you know this to be a fact please cite your source as thats a pretty weak argument at best.

Taken from page 4 of the 2010 small game regs and its also listed on page 17 of the deer regs of the 2010 season

Anyone born on or after Jan 1 1973 must provide a Hunters Safety Certificate before they are issued a hunting license.

Listed in the course completion test is a question asking the student to list the Four Rules of Firearm safety (see above) its also listed on the back of the Hunters Saftey Certificate.

Forgive me for saying so but I feel that the comment made is of less intelligence than that of The Media and State Agency that issued the "Dont shoot yourself" statement.

LR Yote 312

It was SARCASM.

I can give you statistics where safety training benefits industrial employees and hunter and driver education programs save accidents and lives. Just because your company Safety Director was not competent does not offer valid condemnation of such programs.

Is this a joke? Are these the same programs that consist of a day of power points and a simple quiz? Five minutes after leaving, its out of the employees heads? Oh those effective programs.

PT111

I can give you statistics where safety training benefits industrial employees and hunter and driver education programs save accidents and lives. Just because your company Safety Director was not competent does not offer valid condemnation of such programs.

That is exactly what they were both getting at. One can quote statistics all day about how much the programs have benefited eveyone but can you prove it? We all know about the "How to lie with statistics" book and how they are used but can you actually prove that is what caused it? For many years the company had experienced one death approximately every two years so the program did not make the rate go down. However going from 2,000 employees to 15,000 one would assume that it did.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Consider the background of the source, a union organizer.

What would you require as proof?

The government/military branch of my industry, that I retired from, is vastly more expensive than the private industry, not least for the expense of safety. There have been no NNP accidents, risk exposure is comparable to civilians' but concentrated in a much smaller population and is declining. My predecessor, in our even more specialized job, had ten times my 3 REM-WBE exposure and current workers are allowed a tiny fraction of that.

littlewolf

The accidents do not reflect poorly on the training. They reflect on the ignorance of the general public who believe themselves competent after a single training period to be sufficiently trained for a lifetime of unrestricted carry. Ongoing training benefits everyone even if it is the simple reading of the safety rules to one's self as a reminder.
The typical hunter does not look at their rifle until the week before season where they may or may not verify the zero of their sights and/or optics. Many CCW permit holders are guilty of the same thing in regards to reviewing the training materials and spending time at the range in between required qualification periods.

True. So many people only go through the motions to get the license or permit and forget most of what they were taught. You can't do much about that.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/news/DNRNews_Lookup.asp?id=249#art3
Hunting is safer – as long as you don’t shoot yourself
Hunter safety administrator statistics tell the story

MADISON – Wisconsin statistics show hunting is safe and getting safer, but the rate of unintentional self-inflicted injuries is on the rise.

Hunter Education Administrator Tim Lawhern has witnessed both subtle and significant changes in his 22-year Department of Natural Resources career. And changes have been both good and annoying.

“We have had great success in educating hunters to be safe – and with that comes success in the hunt,” Lawhern said

Lawhern still around?? I thought he would have been fired after the "turn over your guns" mess. Opps, I forgot he worked for Doyle's DNR. We'll see how he fares under Walker's if he continues with Open Fly Flynn's method of law enforcement.

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=23326

Coded-Dude

The Sonoma County Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of a Napa man who was shot during a hunting trip Sunday afternoon.
At around 4:15 p.m., sheriff's deputies responded to a report of an accidental shooting near 3000 state Highway 37 in unincorporated Sonoma County near the San Pablo Bay Wildlife Refuge.
Napa resident Daniel Downs, 44, was out pheasant hunting with two friends and his 11-year-old son when the shooting occurred.
source - full article

I wonder what the stats are for accidental shootings as they pertain to the animal being hunted.....

Coded-Dude

A man on his way to a hunting trip accidentally shot himself in the left hand and groin, according to authorities.

Auburn police Sgt. Dale Hutchins said 49-year-old David Willoughby, of Willits, suffered the self-inflicted gunshot while en route to Nevada with a friend. Police received the shooting call just before 2:30 p.m. Thursday on eastbound Interstate 80 between Elm Avenue and Foresthill Road.
source - full article

I guess some people do need to be told to be careful when handling guns.....

anmut

And IF they really need to be told, what makes you think actually telling them will be effective at all....

Seems to me like "casting your pearls before swine"!

Exactly - I'm sure the guy in that article has told his kids and other around him to be careful with firearms.

You have to look at statistics. Yes, the more people use firearms the greater the chances of an accident. BUT - if that is the case that we need government reminders on anything that is dangerous there should be an HOURLY reminder on every radio to not text and drive, drink and drive and/or speed in bad weather conditions.

Point is - firearms scare people and government loves to feed off of that fear.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Not to draw this off topic... But,

for those of us who fly commercially in any regular fashion do we really listen to all that stuff about emergency exits, electronic devices to remain off until the ...

If it is said too often it will merely disappear into the noise of our general lives and then it won't make any difference BECAUSE WE WEREN'T PAYING ATTENTION TO THE BACKGROUND NOISE.

caps were for emphasis only.

BTW... it is a Federal Aviation Administration Regulation that requires the passenger announcement at the beginning of aircraft movements FOR ALL FLIGHTS with a specific list of what must be included. This regulation applies to all aircraft not just the big guys including PRIVATE PLANES like the little Cessna 152--- a 2 seat airplane!

Yes, the concept intended to be communicated here IS Open Carry related---- think about it!

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

Exactly - I'm sure the guy in that article has told his kids and other around him to be careful with firearms.

You have to look at statistics. Yes, the more people use firearms the greater the chances of an accident. .

There is a difference between telling your kids to "be careful" and teaching your kids proper handling techniques while using these same techniques yourself. The more an unsafe person handles a firearm, the higher the chance of an accident. Sticking to Proper techniques and methods reduce the chances of a negligent discharge significantly.

anmut

There is a difference between telling your kids to "be careful" and teaching your kids proper handling techniques while using these same techniques yourself. The more an unsafe person handles a firearm, the higher the chance of an accident. Sticking to Proper techniques and methods reduce the chances of a negligent discharge significantly.

I could not agree more with you and probably worded my last post incorrectly.

My point was this: The more you engage in any activity you increase your odds of getting hurt. With that in mind I think the DNR has it completely backwards when they look at statistics related to firearm injuries during the gun-deer season compared to any other risk-heavy activity.

If the DNR was really concerned with the lives of hunters they would focus more on 1) driving an automobile to your hunting spot, 2) not over exerting yourself and having a heart attack and 3) not falling out of your stand. All three of those by themselves will injure more hunters than hunters "shooting themselves."

Like I said before - this is just more fear mongering on guns.

phred

Now it's iin the Wausau Daily Herald

DNR urges hunteres to use guns with care.
Officials take aim at self-inflicted firearm wounds.
Don't shoot yourself,state wildlife are telling hunters....

I suppose this isn't any difference than the Dept of Transportation telling us the roads are slippery and we should drive with care. Or, LE telling us not to drink and drive, or the fire dept to make sure we have working smoke detectors and so on and so forth.

But I agree with anmut
Like I said before - this is just more fear mongering on guns.
Guns make news and this just doesn't help.

I would like to see front page articles state:

DNR and other LE Agencies violate Wisconsin and US Constitutions
For years, various agencies have knowingly infringed in citizens constitutional rights.
Citizens tell DNR to stop denying our right to defend ourselves.....

IcrewUH60