• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you own an AK Pistol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
My Saiga .308 will put it on 4 inch steel every time at 200yds. I use irons. It has NEVER jammed. I've almost shot the barrel out at this time... It's not the only one. Thanks for stopping by.

The lockup on an AK is only marginally lighter on tolerance than the AR. The rest doesn't matter how lose it gets so long as it lines up and feeds. Design a few guns from scratch, then get back to me...

I'd like the AR a lot more if it had a piston, guide-rails, and wasn't made of aluminum. The direct-impingement, as applied on the AR, and the aluminum, are deal-breakers. Novel, but inappropriate.

I've seen a great many designs and prototypes I'm sure you've never even heard of. All with very clever, but complicated and fragile, ideas in them. The AR is one of them.

Sand + Aluminum = bad. Show me the sand, dirt, or dust-free battle environment, and I'll show you the place that an aluminum gun belongs in. I take less issue with the direct-impingement gas system, but I still prefer the piston.

I'd rather have the ballistics of a Pig than the ballistics of a .223; it should all be pink-tip. Look what they made the .300 whisper for... What's right next to it on the chart? Yeah. AK already does that, too.

And no more comments about the holster nobody has even seen. I was a machinst for 5 years. 3D modeling and CAM, too; not just a button pusher. I don't have a degree, but I know more about firearms design than most so-called engineers I've met. I've actually done it. How many guns have you invented?

Anyways...

I'm talking about 25-45 yds, pistol. AK Pistol > conventional handgun in every conceivable way. I kinda like the PLR-16, but it's a sissy round. AK pistol cheaper and homemade. If I were to own only one gun, it'd be my AMD-65 Pistol.

slowfiveoh

AAAAND...

"Did you ever wonder why the Russians took a dump on the AK47 and switched to the 74?

There's a lot to be figured out there. "

ummm. genius, they changed the calibre/cartridge...the basic platform remained the same minus some issues with stocks/flash-hider..

:banghead:
:banghead:

Oh good golly gee, I wasn't completely and totally obviously aware of that.

You're quick J4L!

Now why did they lower the caliber?

Answer that.

umm.. they issued you an AR, no? what's that tell us about the AR platform?
But ,really- let's be real. How much more sophisticated, and less "idiot" is the AR vs. the AK?

Boy you sure focus a lot on "sophistication" as opposed to what really matters like "battlefield effectiveness".

Let's see... they both have... a charging handle...

Yup, both in questionably appropriate positions.

To charge the AK you either

A) Flop it on its side and charge with the forehand.

or

B.) Remove the trigger hand and charge the weapon.

For the M16 it's similarly awkward.

A) Back your chin off of the weapon, reaching up with the forehand, and pulling the charging handle back.

or

B) Lowering the weapon to manipulate it with either hand.

Both firearms are cantankerous here.

Operable advantage: Neither

a fire-select/safety lever

The select lever on the AK doubles as the dustcover and is difficult to manipulate.

On the AR it is a simply and easily managed switch by the firing hands thumb while in the firing position.

Operable advantage: AR

are magazine-fed...and have a magazine release...

The magazine well on the AK is a hinged operation with the release lever forward of the trigger guard. It takes more action to seat an AK magazine than it does an AR magazine. It takes more motion and time off of the trigger to flip the lever, and swap the magazine. Furthermore, the AR has a single button magazine release on the trigger finger side for right hand shooters that allows for extremely fast magazine changes. No hinges, no forward release levers required.

Operable Advantage: AR

Both utilize magazines for ammunition feed, but the AK's are stamped heavy duty steel and a bit better for the combat environment. Not to mention AR mags have a sagging spring issue and bent feed lips will cause horrendous feeding issues.

Magazine Quality: AK

hmm exactly where is the manual of arms for the effective operation of the AR series any less idiotic than the AK? (other than cleaning/assembly- something your going to HAVE to do every time you so much as look at your AR)

It's contained in TM-9-1005-249-10.

The parts specifying operation of the select-fire switch, and the magazine release are key noteworthy parts that are superior to the AK's operations requirements.

I find it utterly tragic that you have failed completely to substantiate your claims that you are indeed prior service, but up to now I have given you the benefit of the doubt.

Post some proof that you are, as I have done, or seriously just shut up about your service history.

Any combatant who has done any time in the sandbox knows you will have a point in time somewhere to simply pop the rear pin, pull the bolt, wipe it down, lube it, clean the breach out quickly with a rag, and reassemble it with a functions check.

That's all an M16 really needs to fire ~800 more rounds.

So how do you see Operation Vigilant Resolve being accomplished with our troops having AK's, given the engagement situations they were presented with?

My Saiga .308 will put it on 4 inch steel every time at 200yds. I use irons. It has NEVER jammed. I've almost shot the barrel out at this time... It's not the only one. Thanks for stopping by.

Prove it.

Every jackhole I have ever seen make this claim, has shown me a spattered target with rounds 4 inches from each other all over the damn target.

That is not a " "4" group".

Want to put your claims up again mine and my DPMS?

The lockup on an AK is only marginally lighter on tolerance than the AR. The rest doesn't matter how lose it gets so long as it lines up and feeds.

An offset bolt causes yaw during climb when fired. Sloppy internals mean less than precise shot groups can be fired due to inconsistent pitching of the firearm during cycling.

These are all extremely substantiated truths about the AK that even you can't refute by pretending they don't exist.

Design a few guns from scratch, then get back to me...

I have indeed never designed a firearm.

This does not however alienate me from a proficient operator status, and with that the familiarity of the arms themselves.

My opinion and experiences matter.

I'd like the AR a lot more if it had a piston, guide-rails, and wasn't made of aluminum. The direct-impingement, as applied on the AR, and the aluminum, are deal-breakers. Novel, but inappropriate.

You hem and haw about this, but neglect the fact that extensive combat operatives have had no issues with their M16 in varying climates, through extensive firefights, and week long operations, with minimal in the way of cleaning supplies.

Hell, I even posted testimony to this several posts up.

I've seen a great many designs and prototypes I'm sure you've never even heard of. All with very clever, but complicated and fragile, ideas in them. The AR is one of them.

Which is why it has proven itself to be such an effective combat rifle.

Good call.

Sand + Aluminum = bad. Show me the sand, dirt, or dust-free battle environment, and I'll show you the place that an aluminum gun belongs in. I take less issue with the direct-impingement gas system, but I still prefer the piston.

Which is why my service weapon had probably 8000 rounds through it and the receivers and cyclic operation were still tight as a glove, and snickety-snick smooth, right?

I'd rather have the ballistics of a Pig than the ballistics of a .223; it should all be pink-tip.

Im sure thats what all the insurgents in Fallujah said too.

"Oh that bullet should have a pink tip bro!"

Shortly before it entered their head and sent them off to their virgins.

Look what they made the .300 whisper for... What's right next to it on the chart? Yeah. AK already does that, too.

A 7.62x39's ballistics are sh*t past 200m. If you can't admit that, then i don't know. Stick to building guns and ignore the ammunition conversations.

And no more comments about the holster nobody has even seen. I was a machinst for 5 years. 3D modeling and CAM, too; not just a button pusher. I don't have a degree, but I know more about firearms design than most so-called engineers I've met. I've actually done it. How many guns have you invented?

Oh I never got to sit at a CNC and mill out receivers etc.
I also never got to brag to the Fedayeen or Republican Guard about your gunsmithing skills.

Just sayin...

^^and this from the fobbit that claims to have "been there". Err, sport. Last anyone bothered to check, the Hadjis could give a rat's backside about accuracy. They lean more towards the spray and pray line of thought-and , if one of their rounds happens to hit you-its "God's Will" if it misses, its "God's Will" .

So. Two things.

#1. I have already proven I was there. If you are too stupid to understand this, then go fly a kite son.

#2. The "Hadjis" as you so eloquently put it, and claim are performing Insha'Allah, are the insurgents and other untrained combatants. The reality is, the Fedayeen and Republican Guard were very well trained in modern tactics and marksmanship. Crossing the Euphrates was a prime example of purposely aimed AK47 fire by highly qualified marksman extensively familiar with the platform. By the way, their accuracy under duress was significantly wore than ours under similar conditions.

Maybe you should learn what you're talking about first before opening your mouth. Not that your senile ass is capable of that.

Last edited:

j4l

Oh good golly gee, I wasn't completely and totally obviously aware of that.

You're quick J4L!

Now why did they lower the caliber?

Answer that.

Boy you sure focus a lot on "sophistication" as opposed to what really matters like "battlefield effectiveness".

Yup, both in questionably appropriate positions.

To charge the AK you either

A) Flop it on its side and charge with the forehand.

or

B.) Remove the trigger hand and charge the weapon.

For the M16 it's similarly awkward.

A) Back your chin off of the weapon, reaching up with the forehand, and pulling the charging handle back.

or

B) Lowering the weapon to manipulate it with either hand.

Both firearms are cantankerous here.

Operable advantage: Neither

The select lever on the AK doubles as the dustcover and is difficult to manipulate.

On the AR it is a simply and easily managed switch by the firing hands thumb while in the firing position.

Operable advantage: AR

The magazine well on the AK is a hinged operation with the release lever forward of the trigger guard. It takes more action to seat an AK magazine than it does an AR magazine. It takes more motion and time off of the trigger to flip the lever, and swap the magazine. Furthermore, the AR has a single button magazine release on the trigger finger side for right hand shooters that allows for extremely fast magazine changes. No hinges, no forward release levers required.

Operable Advantage: AR

Both utilize magazines for ammunition feed, but the AK's are stamped heavy duty steel and a bit better for the combat environment. Not to mention AR mags have a sagging spring issue and bent feed lips will cause horrendous feeding issues.

Magazine Quality: AK

It's contained in TM-9-1005-249-10.

The parts specifying operation of the select-fire switch, and the magazine release are key noteworthy parts that are superior to the AK's operations requirements.

I find it utterly tragic that you have failed completely to substantiate your claims that you are indeed prior service, but up to now I have given you the benefit of the doubt.

Post some proof that you are, as I have done, or seriously just shut up about your service history.

Any combatant who has done any time in the sandbox knows you will have a point in time somewhere to simply pop the rear pin, pull the bolt, wipe it down, lube it, clean the breach out quickly with a rag, and reassemble it with a functions check.

That's all an M16 really needs to fire ~800 more rounds.

So how do you see Operation Vigilant Resolve being accomplished with our troops having AK's, given the engagement situations they were presented with?

Prove it.

Every jackhole I have ever seen make this claim, has shown me a spattered target with rounds 4 inches from each other all over the damn target.

That is not a " "4" group".

Want to put your claims up again mine and my DPMS?

An offset bolt causes yaw during climb when fired. Sloppy internals mean less than precise shot groups can be fired due to inconsistent pitching of the firearm during cycling.

These are all extremely substantiated truths about the AK that even you can't refute by pretending they don't exist.

I have indeed never designed a firearm.

This does not however alienate me from a proficient operator status, and with that the familiarity of the arms themselves.

My opinion and experiences matter.

You hem and haw about this, but neglect the fact that extensive combat operatives have had no issues with their M16 in varying climates, through extensive firefights, and week long operations, with minimal in the way of cleaning supplies.

Hell, I even posted testimony to this several posts up.

Which is why it has proven itself to be such an effective combat rifle.

Good call.

Which is why my service weapon had probably 8000 rounds through it and the receivers and cyclic operation were still tight as a glove, and snickety-snick smooth, right?

Im sure thats what all the insurgents in Fallujah said too.

"Oh that bullet should have a pink tip bro!"

Shortly before it entered their head and sent them off to their virgins.

A 7.62x39's ballistics are sh*t past 200m. If you can't admit that, then i don't know. Stick to building guns and ignore the ammunition conversations.

Oh I never got to sit at a CNC and mill out receivers etc.
I also never got to brag to the Fedayeen or Republican Guard about your gunsmithing skills.

Just sayin...

So. Two things.

#1. I have already proven I was there. If you are two stupid to understand this, then go fly a kite son.

#2. The "Hadjis" as you so eloquently put it, and claim are performing Insha'Allah, are the insurgents and other untrained combatants. The reality is, the Fedayeen and Republican Guard were very well trained in modern tactics and marksmanship. Crossing the Euphrates was a prime example of purposely aimed AK47 fire by highly qualified marksman extensively familiar with the platform. By the way, their accuracy under duress was significantly wore than ours under similar conditions.

Maybe you should learn what you're talking about first before opening your mouth. Not that your senile ass is capable of that.

4-story-fella.jpg

3-geardo.jpg

and before you even bother getting alll hissy...

kleenex.jpg

Last edited:

slowfiveoh

4-story-fella.jpg

3-geardo.jpg

and before you even bother getting alll hissy...

kleenex.jpg

Wow that is terribly informative.

You are certainly good at articulating your argument.

Let me sit back and soak up your complete and utter lack of anything substantial other than to attempt to denigrate me, and making yourself look like a pompous tool in the process.

By the way, you have recycled those cartoons.

j4l

Wow that is terribly informative.

You are certainly good at articulating your argument.

Let me sit back and soak up your complete and utter lack of anything substantial other than to attempt to denigrate me, and making yourself look like a pompous tool in the process.

By the way, you have recycled those cartoons.

Because the shoe still fits. And, they are the only replies your opinionated rant is worthy of.

slowfiveoh

Because the shoe still fits. And, they are the only replies your opinionated rant is worthy of.

Oh I see.

You really are nothing but a senile child. It's quite depressing really.

Prove you served.

If you can. :)

This is me. Yeah bro, check out all my cool tacticool gear. :rolleyes:

slowinsandbox.jpg

Prove yourself, or forever be an idiot ass.

Looking at you type is like watching an exercise in the fundamentals of stupidity. You denigrate everyone you talk to. You come off forceful and frankly as a low-life degenerate. You remind of the NCO that nobody liked, because you were so full of sh*t and your own arrogance, that you couldn't help but be a dirtbag.

There's a ton I can tell just by how you conduct yourself on here.

You aren't a soldier son.

You're a senile disgrace.

Oh, by the way. Is this you?

11-06-06_1743.jpg

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
[rolls eyes and continues to dwell a realm of facts instead of loud talking]

I prefer my Saiga .308 over an aluminum jam-factory. You aren't going to rhetoric me out of what over 20 years of experience has taught me. Being a real warrior, maybe, does not justify being an Internet warrior. Plenty of soldiers don't like the AR and it has failed them. Being a 'slob' is often a requirement of unplanned battle conditions. If a soldier never finds him/her self under conditions where daily babysitting of the AR isn't possible... Well... He/she hasn't wandered far from the mess and might consider being a cook instead... A rifle should work under the worst circumstances ALWAYS. This includes not getting proper attention. A real battle rifle needs no cleaning/maintenance for long periods of time and can tolerate the abuse of unexpected conditions. The AR-15 cannot take the abuse and neglect that an AK can; abuse and neglect that should be EXPECTED and DESIGNED FOR.

I'm sure your DPMS is more accurate than my Saiga .308. But I don't need one bullet inside the other. I need them on a torso. My Saiga .308 will remain effective, and accurate enough to do that at ranges the .223 won't even reach. I can also fill it full of sand and mud and it'll still work with no reduction in those qualities. The environment of war is not a place for precision machining that can be fouled up by a few grains of sand. Modern Firearms have become like the internals of an Engine. A place no kind of dirt belongs. And as such, they are failure in engineering as the designers have lost sight of the purpose and environment. Perfection is far less sensible than merely limiting imperfection. That last sentence is the underlying root of virtually all military operations. The Rifle removed from that point is less than adequate. Period. An AR exposed to the same environment as an AK, will fail long before the AK. That's how it is. You may argue that it isn't so, but that's like arguing that human beings don't need oxygen to live. This is a thing that is true. We call such things facts. That's how it is.

7.62x51 > 5.56x45. There is no argument on that point.

7.62x39 > all other pistol cartridges, so far.

Anyway. I'm still looking for a way to call a conventional handgun better than an AK Pistol without being a liar or a snob. Any input ON THAT SUBJECT is still sought... It isn't about the AR-15 and it's various and obvious shortcomings AS A PISTOL. It isn't even a consideration. The PLR-16 isn't on the menu. AS A PISTOL, and at ranges a PISTOL might be used at, the 7.62x39 > 5.56x45. PISTOL. HANDGUN. That is the subject. Otherwise SHUT YOUR C#$% HOLSTER! OCDO isn't about discussing Long Gun Carry anyway...

Last edited:

Michigander

Anyway. I'm still looking for a way to call a conventional handgun better than an AK Pistol without being a liar or a snob. Any input ON THAT SUBJECT is still sought.....

Already mentioned is ballistic superiority with readily available ammo, close quarters handling and retention, speed to reload, and available holsters. Is that not enough?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I hate to jump into this argument. I've never served or been in combat, but I do have opinions on all matter on engineering issues.

"During the engagement, some of the platoon’s weapons failed. A superficial examination of these failures may lead to the conclusion that the root causes were either inherent to the weapons’ design or lay in poor maintenance by the operators. However, a more systematic analysis of weapons usage shows that almost all of the weapons that failed did so after firing a high volume of rounds in a short period. While about a fifth of the weapons failed sometime during the action, all but one of these cases occurred after the weapons were fired at a high rate for a number of minutes.

Yes, and this is due to the gas impingement system, specifically the gas tube which easily overheats during extended firing, and which as a result can cause all kinds of failures from simple jams to complete weapon destruction. Not to mention all the crap which the gas tube feeds into the chamber.

It seems to me that the HK416 is pretty undeniably an improvement, assuming it shoots as well.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

No, no you're definitely wrong here. At least, out of a short (pistol-length) barrel.

Looking at you type is like watching an exercise in the fundamentals of stupidity. You denigrate everyone you talk to. You come off forceful and frankly as a low-life degenerate. You remind of the NCO that nobody liked, because you were so full of sh*t and your own arrogance, that you couldn't help but be a dirtbag.

Now this is something we all can agree on.

Well, all of us except j4l. ;)

Last edited:

Lord_Kalen

Whats the approximate muzzle velocity of 7.62x39 out of a 11 inch barrel ? 2100? and that would be for an AMD65 based pistol , and thats with a 130 grain projectile , many of the big magnums are going to beat that in raw kinetic . A 9in barreled AK would be what around 1900 ? perhaps less as I believe the loadings use a slower burning powder then 5.56 , personally not enough advantage over other handguns to justify the bulk , and poor design as a handgun

Yes its alot of kinetic , but unless armor piercing is an issue the draw time and ability to aquire a target is much less , and I would think a full size service pistol would offer alot better of a shortgame which is what most deffensive shootings are so really a Glock 17 would probably put "more pain" into a target faster and be about as likely to either get an immediate stop thru either destroying structure or major nervous system damage

From what Ive read the PLR-16 has a muzzle velocity of about 2450 with a 55grn projectile that would offer hydrostatic shock possibly to 100-150 meters , this little beast has peaked my interest , for special needs OC/CC

I've got abit of an interest in this as Ive had past experience carrying an HK-91 in a potentially dangerous enviroment while doing manual labor , no doubt the gun is one of the tyrant kings of rifles .... but its a pain to carry and I spent far more time armed with just my C-96 ...... which is admitably dated but personally I feel it is a better concept then the current stockless SBRs .....just some gunmaker with the rare trait of common sense needs to update it ...

That AK holster in the video is monstrous , I guess Ive got an unfair advantage as Im big enough I could probably carry a fullsize AK as an ungainly handgun .

Heres some of my work , admittably the graceful old girl is very easy to make gunleather for
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z76/Lord_Kalen/Broomhandle/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

Should we bring the M1 carbine into this and the expand to a larger debate on the century of military stupidity on the need for the Carry PDW ? and the only 2 under adopted good answers to this introduced 90 years apart ?

slowfiveoh

[rolls eyes and continues to dwell a realm of facts instead of loud talking]

I prefer my Saiga .308 over an aluminum jam-factory.

Flagrant hyperbole meant for dramatic response.

My 16 never jammed on me. Not even once.

I made sure it was lubed.
I made sure the magazine feed lips weren't bent and there was appropriate pressure on the spring.

Referring to it as a "jam factory" shows the true undertones to your argument though.

Also, are we arguing the 7.62x39mm Ak-47, or your Saiga .308 which is a x51 firearm?

You aren't going to rhetoric me out of what over 20 years of experience has taught me. Being a real warrior, maybe, does not justify being an Internet warrior.

When it comes to conversations about firearms, yes. Yes it does.

Plenty of soldiers don't like the AR and it has failed them.

Plenty love it, and wouldn't trade it for anything, especially an AK-47.

This is the counterpoint that is reality, that you are dismissing. I'm not even surprised that you are, because you are an AK fan. That's all fine and fair, but being objective is paramount to have factual conversations.

I have already posted several examples of such from hardcore combatants who saw extensive fighting. One of which even expressed the platforms superiority in engagements with seasoned and well trained opponents using the AK.

Being a 'slob' is often a requirement of unplanned battle conditions.

This is where your experience with the CNC milling of firearms fails you, and I would ask you to concede your inexperience in actual combat conditions.

There is an inherent difference between soldiers being "slobs", or being deployed in long in theater field operations, making time to eat an MRE, take a crap, take a piss, shave their face so their mask fits properly, change their socks, or any other plethora of actual field activities that they must find time for, then not taking 5 minutes to wipe down the bolt carrier and breach of their 16, and spatter some CLP on it if that's what they have.

Can you explain to me why the only failures I witnessed out of 230 soldiers were the 3 soldiers I saw laying their 16, dust cover and mag well exposed, in the sand, or even on some occasions sitting on it?

Your argument would be that the AK may take that in stride.

My very valid counterpoint would be that the staggering engagement success our troops have endured in some firefights, specifically those from IED ambushes, or perimeter engagements in standoff fights, would not be as successful without an exceptionally accurate platform with a ballistically flat-shooting round.

If a soldier never finds him/her self under conditions where daily babysitting of the AR isn't possible... Well... He/she hasn't wandered far from the mess and might consider being a cook instead...

That's an erroneous lie exaggerating the daily upkeep necessary of the M16.

You are attempting to paint a picture of M16/M4 maintenance that is not accurate whatsoever, and binds all troops who have never had a problem with one to a close proximity to the chow hall.

This is extremely disingenuous, and I think you know it.

Can you explain why these are so easy to find?

"Colt M4 and M203 from April 2007 till Oct 2007 (had a SAW for the begining of the tour) while living at FOB Rustamiah, south east part of Baghdad, Iraq, completed over 200 combat patrols. I didn't have one malfuntion the entire time."

"To be equally clear, no sample of 100 or so grunts is enough to settle any longstanding argument. But after years of carrying an M-16 (the A2 version, in the 1980s and 1990s) and years of observing them in the field, often in firefights, I have yet to see a modern M-16 or M-4 fail in the ways described in others’ reports, and I have not found significant reliability complaints from troops using the rifles in trying environments. (Interestingly, two Web sites that closely follow military equipment decisions, www.military.com and www.defensereview.com, reported late last month that the special operations community had dropped its program to replace M-4s with a rifle colloquially known as the SCAR, in part because the SCAR was not living up to its early billing – a common trait among rifles in development – and because it was not regarded as offering an upgrade on the M-4 that was worth the investment.)

Does that mean that M-4s and M-16s have not failed in combat, and are not still failing?

No. But it is curious that the Army’s examination of the battle of Wanat, which was part of the fuel on the latest controversy, did not find systematic problems with weapons. And it is hard not to notice, as we have tried to examine the issues, that many of the complaints about M-4 and M-16 reliability are almost impossible to trace because they are either anonymous or do not include essential information, including the unit’s name, and the date and location of the failure. This makes the complaints of the last few years much different from the complaints of the mid-1960s, when the din from the field was such that a near deluge of angry veterans spoke openly of the problems, and the rifle was overhauled, as the early M-16 needed to be. If there are widespread problems with the rifles, then they should be detectable in units in heavy fighting.
Source - http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/s...ining-the-Complaints-About-M4-M16-reliability "

"You didn’t mention the critical advantages of the M-16 and M-4 – they are lightweight and extremeley accurate. I fought in the invasion of Iraq with the Third Battallion, Fifth Marines, and I can tell you firsthand that after we crossed the Euphrates, we were ambushed nearly every day, often by superior numbers. The main reason we consistenltly stomped our attackers was simple – we hit what we were aiming at and they didn’t. The forces opposing us (Republican Guard, Saddam Fedayeen, and foreign mercerenaries and terrorists) were generally brave, tactically sound, and well armed, they just couldn’t deliver killing shots even in a perfectly executed ambush. Part of the difference in ability was training, but part of it was the inherent inaccuracy of the AK-47. Even the Russians switched over to a round sized similar to .223 long ago with the AK-74. .223 weapons, and especially the M-16 and M-4, are simply much easier to fire accurately in the heat of combat due to their light weight, low recoil, and ease of use. Tweaking the round and rifle itself may be a good idea, I’ll leave that to the experts, but I highly doubt that any move away from .223 would be advisable."

A rifle should work under the worst circumstances ALWAYS. This includes not getting proper attention. A real battle rifle needs no cleaning/maintenance for long periods of time and can tolerate the abuse of unexpected conditions. The AR-15 cannot take the abuse and neglect that an AK can; abuse and neglect that should be EXPECTED and DESIGNED FOR.

It is in fact figured in to the A2 forward. You simply need to lube it a bit, and give a real quick wipe down every day.

Here are some other things a "real battle rifle" needs:

-The ability to hit what you are aiming at.
-The ability to maintain sight picture inbetween rounds.
-The ability to manage the weapon platform without having to roll it, or put it down to manipulate its functions, including switching firing modes and changing magazines.
-Barrel flex that is not conducive to unreasonable shot grouping.
-An offset bolt that during cyclic action causes the weapon to yaw when fired in automatic mode.

Have you ever been in a situation that causes excess duress with the mortality of your life on the line ixtow?

While you tremor from the increase of adrenalin shooting through your body, struggling to maintain sight picture composure, do you really think your AK (ESPECIALLY a semi-auto one) will detract, or contribute to your engagement success?

Is it any shock at all that the majority of soldier deaths in modern conflicts have been attributed to IED's, car-bombs, suicide bombers, and RPG's?

That's because, under duress, the AK-47 is probably one of the worst firearms you could hold in your hand unless the engagement was ~75m.

Even then, it is fatiguing, and hard to keep on target. neither of which complement its inherent inaccuracy.

I'm sure your DPMS is more accurate than my Saiga .308. But I don't need one bullet inside the other. I need them on a torso.

This is not the mark of a true combat rifle, ixtow.

Not every target presents itself as a walking torso. Especially in modern warfare.

As distance increases, your likelihood of being able to strike back, with an AK, is extremely diminished. Particularly if target presentation is small in size, or brief.

My Saiga .308 will remain effective, and accurate enough to do that at ranges the .223 won't even reach.

Edit: You aren't even discussing a x39 AK-47. You are discussing a 7.62x51 firearm. That is not what is issued to most enemy combatants.

7.62x39mm -
Range Elevation Velocity Energy ETA Drop Max Y 10mph Wind Deflect
0 yds -1.50 in 2400 fps 1573 fpe 0.000 sec 0.00in -1.50 in 0.00 in
25 yds 0.24 in 2333 fps 1486 fpe 0.032 sec 0.19in -0.55 in 0.08 in
50 yds 1.58 in 2266 fps 1402 fpe 0.064 sec 0.79in -0.40 in 0.35 in
75 yds 2.50 in 2201 fps 1323 fpe 0.098 sec 1.81in -0.13 in 0.79 in
100 yds 2.96 in 2137 fps 1247 fpe 0.133 sec 3.28in 0.26 in 1.39 in
125 yds 2.95 in 2073 fps 1174 fpe 0.169 sec 5.22in 0.78 in 2.16 in
150 yds 2.46 in 2011 fps 1105 fpe 0.205 sec 7.65in 1.44 in 3.08 in
175 yds 1.43 in 1950 fps 1038 fpe 0.243 sec 10.62in 2.26 in 4.21 in
200 yds -0.15 in 1890 fps 975 fpe 0.281 sec 14.13in 3.25 in 5.52 in
225 yds -2.38 in 1831 fps 916 fpe 0.322 sec 18.29in 4.43 in 7.12 in
250 yds -5.29 in 1774 fps 859 fpe 0.364 sec 23.14in 5.83 in 9.00 in
275 yds -8.91 in 1718 fps 806 fpe 0.407 sec 28.70in 7.45 in 11.14 in
300 yds -13.27 in 1664 fps 756 fpe 0.452 sec 34.99in 9.32 in 13.51 in

ak-ballistics.jpg

Past 200 yards the 7.62's ballistic trajectory drop is completely unacceptable.

Comparison of the rounds from a Russian site:
762x39vs545x39vs223.gif

Yellow = 5.56
Blue = 5.45
Red = 7.62

The 5.56:
M855_drop_during_25-meter_zeroing_trajectory_M16A2_M4.jpg

Saying that the 7.62x39 has better ballistics than the 5.56 or .223 is completely wrong when arguing the effective range, and the trajectory.

7.62x39 coupled with barrel flex from an AK leads to a terrible engagement experience.

Particularly when your enemy faces none of these specific shortcomings.

I don't know why you feel the need to discuss x51

I can also fill it full of sand and mud and it'll still work with no reduction in those qualities.

Not hard to do when the qualities are bottom-barrel to begin with.

The environment of war is not a place for precision machining that can be fouled up by a few grains of sand.

Without having been there, can you elaborate on your experience in this forum? Can you explain to me why myself and others, even those with extensive combat roles, have not had any issues with the M16?

Can you elaborate as to the effectiveness of the M16A2/A3 in Fallujah?

Modern Firearms have become like the internals of an Engine. A place no kind of dirt belongs. And as such, they are failure in engineering as the designers have lost sight of the purpose and environment.

Completely nonsensical attempt at relation.

By the way are you aware what the ksi of 7075 Aluminum is vs the stamped steel the AK is made out of?

I'd like you to post those figures here if you can. :)

Perfection is far less sensible than merely limiting imperfection. That last sentence is the underlying root of virtually all military operations.

This would apply were the M16 considered to be "perfection". It is not. It makes many concessions at the expense of reliability.

However, what it has brought to the battlefield, is superior to the AK in its flexibility of roles.

If combat was consistently about kicking doors in, then I would agree that the M16/M4 has no place in modern combat.

What you cannot grasp is the necessity for flexibility in roles.

The M16 has proven itself superior in these roles, time and time again.

The Rifle removed from that point is less than adequate. Period. An AR exposed to the same environment as an AK, will fail long before the AK.

Reliability, like it or not, is one of many facets of an effective combat firearm.

You can comment about how you can cake it with mud and take a dump in the breach and it will still fire, but you won't be much of a threat from ~150m+.

The M16 rifleman can hit the intended AK47 wielding target the first time, every time, under duress, from 0m-200m.

The AK's operable range is not as flexible. Despite your false claims that the 7.62 is a "superior round", and that you will be "more effective at range".

That's how it is. You may argue that it isn't so, but that's like arguing that human beings don't need oxygen to live. This is a thing that is true. We call such things facts. That's how it is.

I will accept your limited and or complete lack of exposure to the combat environment as the limiting factor in your perspective.

You think, very clearly, that a gun going "bang" every time is as important as every other factor of a combat firearm.

You also have a delusional perception of AR reliability in the field.

If you and I were to square off at anything outside 100m, and we were both staring at each other, heads exposed over a berm, could you hit me 100% the first time, before I hit you, with our preferred firearms?

I know this is just hypothetical, but it highlights the reality of combat in a way you are incapable of understanding. I would absolutely, without fail repeatedly be able to tag you in the head.

You would have to make "adjustments".

Time is life. Accuracy is life.

7.62x51 > 5.56x45. There is no argument on that point.

Wait.

Are we discussing the ballistic comparison of the x39, or the x51?

I would almost be inclined to agree with you on this.

Anyway. I'm still looking for a way to call a conventional handgun better than an AK Pistol without being a liar or a snob. Any input ON THAT SUBJECT is still sought...

You won't get it.

People will not violate their sensitive worldview to concede to this valid point.

It isn't about the AR-15 and it's various and obvious shortcomings AS A PISTOL.

I agree that shorter barrels severely handicap the 5.56/.223.

The AK pistol indeed is likely a better handgun than the PLR.

It isn't even a consideration. The PLR-16 isn't on the menu. AS A PISTOL, and at ranges a PISTOL might be used at, the 7.62x39 > 5.56x45. PISTOL. HANDGUN. That is the subject. Otherwise SHUT YOUR C#$% HOLSTER! OCDO isn't about discussing Long Gun Carry anyway...

Wow.

So polite.

Sensitive nipples?

Last edited:

j4l

No, no you're definitely wrong here. At least, out of a short (pistol-length) barrel.

Now this is something we all can agree on.

Well, all of us except j4l. ;)

Actually I dont disagree with you on that round. From a rifle, sometimes-depending on distance engaged.At greater distances, the rifle rounds might show more advantage, but since we're talking about pistol-distances, I think handguns work better.
But saw some interesting ammo/penetration tests not long back that demonstrated even .45 and 9mm pistols out-penetrating both 5.56 and 7.62 rifle-fired rounds in the same media.(Ill try to dig up the links to post,if i can find em again.) Prior to seeing that, I used to assume,like most folks, that rifle rounds would be more powerful, overall.

As to my disagreeing with El Commando above, that has a lot more to do with my not being able to take serious even his valid points on anything. Why? He throws out alleged "combat service" and "under-fire" claims in the form of absolutes (anyone who has ever been in any form of combat, armed or otherwise, knows from the 1st round fired or the first blow struck, that there are NO absolutes in combat)-in an effort to justify his OPINION. .
Examples?-
1) OC vs. CC. His take was that OC will ALWAYS,ABSOLUTELY be the quicker method, no matter what level of skill or training another combatant may possess.
(ie: just because he may lack an ability to perform a particular task with one weapon or other,does not mean no one else can- be it OC vs. CC, or be it AR vs. AK)
2) and the points he tries to use above-all of em.

He may well have actually fired an M4/M16 platform somewhere other than a firing range on qualification day, and not had it jam or otherwise malfunction. (highly unlikely)
If so, great for him-he lucked out. He may well have complete confidence in a platform that a lot more folks than just myself may not have-no matter what level of cleanliness and pristine polish level that arm may achieve-somehow- in a combat situation. :rolleyes:
Again, goodie for him. That DOES NOT make it an absolute falsehood that many thousands of other troops in like situations had a completely different experience, too often to the cost of that troop's life.

His experience is different- that does not in any way validate his commentary on the subject as THE ABSOLUTE.So by all means, show me where Im wrong on that?
He threw his alleged personal experience out there to try to back up his opinion-and uses that as a basis to tell everyone else that their opinion is wrong.. He gets called out on it, then cries. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Bottom line- there are NO absolutes in combat. Nothing is going to be this or that 100% of the time, against 100% of the opposing personnel, systems, tactics, skill levels or other factors. Ever. Anyone trying to claim such has likely never been any closer to a live round fired other than on a range.

Last edited:

slowfiveoh

As to my disagreeing with El Commando above, that has a lot more to do with my not being able to take serious even his valid points on anything. Why? He throws out alleged "combat service" and "under-fire" claims in the form of absolutes (anyone who has ever been in any form of combat, armed or otherwise, knows from the 1st round fired or the first blow struck, that there are NO absolutes in combat)-in an effort to justify his OPINION.

I never once threw out an absolute. Not one single time.

I showed that the perception and stereotypes are not always the case.

Furthermore, I have shown that there are combatants with extensive field experience who share my opinion, and real life experiences with the platform. Many of which have infinitely more experience in said situations than I, or you do.

1) OC vs. CC. His take was that OC will ALWAYS,ABSOLUTELY be the quicker method, no matter what level of skill or training another combatant may possess.
(ie: just because he may lack an ability to perform a particular task with one weapon or other,does not mean no one else can- be it OC vs. CC, or be it AR vs. AK)

Incorrect.

My statement was to point out the flaws inherent in CC, in that:

A.) CC inherently has more complications in presentation. That was my entire argument. You are the one who went off about the "uber leet ninjaness" of the Shin Bet. A unit that is likely never to have been observed by yourself, yet you throw it out as a shining example of lightning fast cc draw, with no examples of their draw technique publicly available. If you cannot admit by basic mechanical function, that CC requires more articulation and effort to present in a timely manner, then you're drunk and/or stupid.

There are absolutes in this world, no matter how much you subscribe to the fact that there isn't. Math and mechanical engineering are based on these absolutes.

If you believe that an individual trained in CC cannot achieve superior presentation time without the hindrance of clothing, than you may be simultaneously drunk and stupid.

B.) It is counterproductive to creating the type of society where criminals are positively reinforced to the truth that citizens are armed. Criminal brazenness is almost exclusively performed in the absence of likely retaliation.

2) and the points he tries to use above-all of em.

He may well have actually fired an M4/M16 platform somewhere other than a firing range on qualification day, and not had it jam or otherwise malfunction. (highly unlikely)

Despite proof to the alternate, you continue to claim "high unlikeliness" to the M16 not jamming during in theater operations. Then are summarily countered by uncountable examples I can provide, some of which I have already, pointing to substantiation of my claims. Specifically, by those with far more extensive combat experience than you or I.

If so, great for him-he lucked out.

...and the thousands of other soldiers who never had any issues in the sandbox with their 16's.

Just "lucky" despite substantial numbers.

Your claims that the firearm is "unreliable" can be substantiated just as my claims that it is highly reliable can be substantiated. Both of which until we are blue in the face.

The middle ground I have observed is dirtbag soldiers treating their weapons poorly. The same cat I had to pry the bolt carrier loose in the field, in the middle of a patrol, was the same guy who refused to take showers, use baby wipes, and was constantly being hounded to take care of his weapon by his platoon sergeant and squad leader. I saw him pick his 16 up by the sling, dragging the exposed mag well like he was digging a trench latrine at Camp Virginia.

Nobody else had any issues.

I wonder if there is something to be said there....

Things that make you go HRMMMM.

He may well have complete confidence in a platform that a lot more folks than just myself may not have-no matter what level of cleanliness and pristine polish level that arm may achieve-somehow- in a combat situation.

Look at my 16 in that picture and tell me it didn't see the bottom side of the deserts dumpster....

I lubed it, gave it a good wipe-down ever day, then carried on my way. It never failed me.

Again, goodie for him. That DOES NOT make it an absolute falsehood that many thousands of other troops in like situations had a completely different experience, too often to the cost of that troop's life.

There are no absolutes that I am making whatsoever.

If you actually read my commentary, as opposed to interweb e-thugging it, you will see my entire argument is that there is a counterpoint to all of these claims that easily equals the commentary of the M16's detractors.

I have actually posted citations of said claims, which have been summarily dismissed in favor of the precious belief that the M16 is some terrible malfunctioning monstrosity.

His experience is different- that does not in any way validate his commentary on the subject as THE ABSOLUTE.So by all means, show me where Im wrong on that?

Show me one single spot where I stated an absolute.

I will be waiting.

Maybe you can post more comics in an entirely logical and intellectual retort to my previous comments.

He threw his alleged personal experience out there to try to back up his opinion-and uses that as a basis to tell everyone else that their opinion is wrong.. He gets called out on it, then cries. Go figure.

Your comments are just as "alleged" as mine in nature. Hell, you haven't even once, not one single time substantiated your claims that you have served.

For the benefit of everybody here, I have.

For the record, quoting valuable metrics like personal citations, graphical data, and personal experiences, lends itself to the argument as substantiation.

That's how it works J4L.

You apply scientific method to understanding a concept. Concepts like, "What is the real status of the M16".

You stated you got out over 20 years ago.

That tells me you may be a holdout for the A1, which was notoriously plagued with problems, most of which were derived from the barrel, and the ammunition used.

Bottom line- there are NO absolutes in combat. Nothing is going to be this or that 100% of the time, against 100% of the opposing personnel, systems, tactics, skill levels or other factors. Ever. Anyone trying to claim such has likely never been any closer to a live round fired other than on a range.

You're right J4l, there are no absolutes in combat.

-M16's aren't "absolutely" going to break down. In fact, a large percentage of soldiers say otherwise.
-Not every firefight is going to be in effective point target range of an AK-47.
-Not every encounter with an AK-47 wielding rifleman is done by a Insha'Allah chanting insurgent. Sometimes it's by highly trained rifleman proficient with the platform.
-Sometimes, like in our current conflict, the M16 shines in areas the AK-47 cannot.

Anybody who denies this, has likely never been in a firefight.
Anybody who denies this, has likely never served in Iraq or Afghanistan or other modern conflicts.

So what do you want to see from me J4L? My CAB?

Have a good day.

slowfiveoh

ixtow,

As a separate response to your original question, I offer the following.

What we have with the carrying of AK or AR platform pistols, is simply the effects of social perception and a bit of psychology.

Society by and large is comprised of emotive extroverts who draw their sense of right and wrong often from the perception and beliefs of others. The subconscious is ingrained with the perceived truth that what society does and believes in, is inherently "right" in the end. I am quite sure you have seen this or been subject to it in the workplace, and especially out and about or in social circles. This mentality in fact comprises probably 90%+ of the "bootlickers" that you will come across. We are not necessarily "brainwashed" per se. It is more that most people are products of the consumer driven, authoritarian society that they have been raised in.

Police are the good guys. (Mostly true, sure.)
Police are here to protect you. (A large portion of society believes this to be an absolute truth, but you and I know this is not in any way true.)

The raw statistical truth of the matter is that the AK based pistols are a wonderful self-defense firearm that is superior in capacity, and kinetic transfer, to most modern handguns.

If one is to carry anything larger than a RIA .45 for example, so long as it resembles a "normal handgun" in its "L" or classic "J" frame design, then the idea is that it is "normalized" in society, and therefore "acceptable".

Unfortunately, in this case, the AK and AR pistols have been "hollywoodized" to death, as "infernal death machines", when you and I both know this is far from the truth.

The raw truth of the matter, is that they are wonderful handguns.

Hopefully one day they will be viewed while carried by an LAC as one would admire a passing Ferrari F40, Lamborghini Diablo VT, or Ford GT.

The only thing I think that will make this happen is not to wait for the normalization of L and J frames, but the exposure of these firearms as well, as part of handgun normalization.

As expressed in the kwikrnu threads, I truthfully, and honestly would not even take pause if an individual past me with a holstered or slung AK pistol.

Unfortunately, some individuals here in our own RTKBA company, think that these wonderful handguns are "excessive".

Thundar

And, I wont even go into the type of troubles it will invite-both from fellow citizens and LEO's, and ya ya ya, I know you love provoking the police. BUT, when the time comes, and you are carrying that thing on you- it's going to escalate beyond just a cop confronting a guy with a handgun- SWAT units are likely to be called in.In which case, you will finally have your big,dramatic, news-covered Tony Montana moment,but...

WTF??? You are trashing ixtow??? Really... ixtow??? If you wanted to bring up possible LEO problems as a disadvantage you could have done it in a way that is not insulting. This site is for significant discussions, not childish insults.

Back to reality..

If a freedom hating LEO asks me why I carry an AK pistol I tell him...

Better vest penetration.

If a courteous LEO asks I tell him it is reliable and a great deterrent for thugs.

I see no advantage in concealing one though. (Damn hard to keep concealed anyways.)

slowfiveoh

j4l said:
...and ya ya ya, I know you love provoking the police.

This is because j4l knows you.
This is because j4l is a Psychiatrist in Interweb personality.

It must be so, because j4l said it.

Problem with j4l neatly summarized.

j4l

WTF??? You are trashing ixtow??? Really... ixtow??? If you wanted to bring up possible LEO problems as a disadvantage you could have done it in a way that is not insulting. This site is for significant discussions, not childish insults.

Back to reality..

If a freedom hating LEO asks me why I carry an AK pistol I tell him...

Better vest penetration.

If a courteous LEO asks I tell him it is reliable and a great deterrent for thugs.

I see no advantage in concealing one though. (Damn hard to keep concealed anyways.)

Ixtow, being gifted, as few are here, with a sense of humor, knows Im just busting his chops. When Ixtow and I go at it in here, it is largely in jest.
Relax, Ixtow is perfectly capable of defending himself if/ when needed, unlike our limited-exposure commando -wannabe.

Last edited:

slowfiveoh

...unlike our limited-exposure commando -wannabe.

Another shining example of j4l's contribution to the forum.

j4l, I got ya all figured out man.

You come on here talking down to everybody, and when another vet tries to share his experience you immediately denigrate him.
When said vet posts pictures of himself in Iraq after you claim he is lying, you find something else to try to attack.
When said vet offers to show you his CAB after claiming he hasn't seen sh*t for combat, you denigrate him.
When anybody on this forum offers substantial evidence to back up their claims, and you disagree, you denigrate them.

You're a sad lonely man without a purpose.

Last edited:

j4l

Another shining example of j4l's contribution to the forum.

j4l, I got ya all figured out man.

You come on here talking down to everybody, and when another vet tries to share his experience you immediately denigrate him.
When said vet posts pictures of himself in Iraq after you claim he is lying, you find something else to try to attack.
When said vet offers to show you his CAB after claiming he hasn't seen sh*t for combat, you denigrate him.
When anybody on this forum offers substantial evidence to back up their claims, and you disagree, you denigrate them.

You're a sad lonely man without a purpose.

Mary, Im going to type this slowly, so that even you can grasp it:
Your claimed service -pics or anything else offered aside- isnt the issue. The issue is your attempt to mis-use of that service as some kind of validation for an opinion..
Many have served, welcome to the club. It does not, however, make you an expert in anything whatsoever to the extent that your opinion is the only correct one.
You've repeatedly made comments and claims -as statements of some kind of absolute fact- that just about anyone who has served and has used small-arms in a combat situation would find silly at the very least.
Especially when you go out of your way to hi-jack a thread into some completely different topic. Of course Im going to call you out on it, and denigrate you for that.
Get over yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.