• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Doug Huffman Has Been Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrightme

Hey all. I haven't posted in a while, but I have been lurking. Although I respect the fact that this board is private property, and that the mods can do whatever they like, I feel the need to come to Doug's defense. Even though he might have annoyed a lot of people at times, he was invaluable as a source of information and, dare I say, entertainment. I don't understand how Spartacus can be allowed back after a slap on the wrist while Doug has been banished forever. If you get annoyed or angered by an internet post, then that is, in my opinion, your problem. Take Doug's "Obamanation KMAdollarsigndollarsign" stuff and his bashing of gun groups with a grain of salt, but above all let the man back onto the board for which he has done so much to advance the cause of OC.
Doug was not banned for his posts.

HankT

State Researcher
Doug HAS been warned before. I've seen it posted. Doug even once registered the username "Wisconsin Carry, Inc. President" used an avatar matching our logo and began to post comments as if he were a WCI officer.

If this is true, I'm thinking that the multiple OCDO accounts issue may have been a determinative factor. We don't know how many accounts other than the one you mention and the two main ones ("Doug Huffman" and "Master Doug Huffman") Doug has created and/or used.

Perhaps that's what John was referring to in his OP. There are certain tools in forum software that assist in the identification of multiple accounts created by the same person. How many were there for Doug???

All's I know is that I will cherish the PMs Doug occasionally sent me . . . and his frequent statements that he was "ignoring" specific posters. Cracked me up every time.

The Don

disappointing...

My only comment to this and Spartacus' banning is that it's pretty disappointing to see all the schadenfreude in this thread.

At risk of labeling and dividing...there were 4 posts out of 26 in the thread about Spartacus being banned that said something to the effect of "I'm glad he's gone". And a lot of the people one might have expected to express that sentiment didn't say anything at all.

How many of the 126 posts in this thread have been posts which served no purpose other than to bash Doug? I'm not going to go count them, but if I was a betting man, I'd be willing to bet it's a lot more than 15% (roughly 19 posts)...

Seems petty and beneath what we should be striving for insofar as forum decorum goes.

I guess what I'm saying is if our goal is for the forum to be more 'adult' or 'mature' or whatever phrase you want to use, blaming the 'childish' behavior of the forum on one or two or three people while at the same time doing the cyber-equivalent of pi$$ing on someone's grave is a pretty poor way to go about meeting that goal.

Like Paul said in the Spartacus' banning thread...let's all do some introspection and think before we hit the submit button...

As an aside, to John, if there are any bans in the future I, for one, would like to request that you lock the thread as soon as you make the announcement. Since I know you don't read all the posts in every thread, I'll PM this request to you, as well.

M

McX

listen to the words, gain wisdom. we are every day people- Doug too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-336qHRGv1M

the best pic, that always comes to mind when i think of Doug, was his side view, profile, standing on the island. got me almost to tears, like he died or something, i wish i would have saved that pic.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

As an aside, to John, if there are any bans in the future I, for one, would like to request that you lock the thread as soon as you make the announcement. Since I know you don't read all the posts in every thread, I'll PM this request to you, as well.

Personally I disagree. I think letting us vent is cathartic. I feel much better afterwards and we can also see how others perceived people.

sultan62

I actually agree. I don't see the need for discussion on the subject, when it's really just an announcement. If there is to be discussion, it could at least be in a "members only" type area, though I really like the fact that everything on the site is visible regardless of membership. I think transparency keeps us open and shows that we aren't trying to hide everything. Still, there is the old saying about airing dirty laundry.

wrightme

I don't have the sentiment of "glad he's gone" for either of these two. It would have been much more worthy of "glad" to see that both were still posting within the ruleset of this web forum. Those that do not desire to do so will likely not remain here.

My only comment to this and Spartacus' banning is that it's pretty disappointing to see all the schadenfreude in this thread.

At risk of labeling and dividing...there were 4 posts out of 26 in the thread about Spartacus being banned that said something to the effect of "I'm glad he's gone". And a lot of the people one might have expected to express that sentiment didn't say anything at all.

How many of the 126 posts in this thread have been posts which served no purpose other than to bash Doug? I'm not going to go count them, but if I was a betting man, I'd be willing to bet it's a lot more than 15% (roughly 19 posts)...

Seems petty and beneath what we should be striving for insofar as forum decorum goes.

I guess what I'm saying is if our goal is for the forum to be more 'adult' or 'mature' or whatever phrase you want to use, blaming the 'childish' behavior of the forum on one or two or three people while at the same time doing the cyber-equivalent of pi$$ing on someone's grave is a pretty poor way to go about meeting that goal.

Like Paul said in the Spartacus' banning thread...let's all do some introspection and think before we hit the submit button...

The report feature would work for that as well. Report the thread, request it be closed, and why.

PT111

As for Spart, he sure was antagonistic, for no good reason.

As for Doug, while he passed out tidbits of knowledge, one had to weed through the attacks, snipes, and cryptic homilies to get to that tidbit. His manner did him in.

Over the past couple of years and especially months the tidbits of knowledge seemed to be getting smaller and the attacks more frequent. The snipes and homilies were always there but seemed to be less and less cryptic. The tidbits of knowledge sure started getting more cryptic to the point that I had started to wonder if he was OK. He had even quit including his line bashing the NRA in every post so something had changed.

wrightme

Over the past couple of years and especially months the tidbits of knowledge seemed to be getting smaller and the attacks more frequent. The snipes and homilies were always there but seemed to be less and less cryptic. The tidbits of knowledge sure started getting more cryptic to the point that I had started to wonder if he was OK. He had even quit including his line bashing the NRA in every post so something had changed.
He had to quit including that line. And even then, he put it back all cryptic, claiming he was not bashing a fictitious group. He just couldn't NOT try for some reason. It was at the level of being an obsession to him. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the suppression of that bashing was SO hard for him to take that he took the action described in the op of this thread because it was such an obsession. Without that bashing, he just couldn't keep on track with just helping the rest along.

swfaninwi

Has anyone noticed since Doug has been banned the ammount of new threads started has fallen off the cliff. I know he was a pain in the arss to many but he gave a lot to this forum.

Then start a thread. Good god man, grieve and then move on. Become the next Doug information wise. There’s lots of knowledge and talent here and now’s an opportunity for others to rise to the occasion.

1FASTC4

Well, the reason for my self-imposed exile is no more.

Banning Doug Huffman will ultimately be good for this forum. Hopefully the Admin will catch all his other names "sockpuppets" as well. Doug was devisive and not nearly the sage his minions made him out to be. I've watched Doug dispense an opinion, then contradict himself in another thread regarding the same topic... all the while his drooling fanbois looked on, nodding approval. This board had really denegrated to the Doug clique, and everyone else.
Dare disagree with Doug, even when he was clearly wrong, and his fanbois jumped all over you. What folks fail to realize is that there are other people on the board with real world experience and education who may choose to not flaunt their credentials.

When the fanfare dies, this place will be better suited to constructive discourse and perhaps it will provide less fodder for the Anti's.

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Get over it, everyone ...please Doug is gone. He ain't coming back. lets move on. This crying about doug is so lame. I believe there are far more important issues to discuss than doug.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.