• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dumb move

SPRINGFIELDMAN-21

When i got pulled over for speeding i made sure my hand were on the steering wheel and told him in a calm voice that i just wanted him to know there was a loaded HG in the car. He the asked me where it was and asked me to get out of the car. Once he took control of the weapon we had a nice lil chat about his carry piece vs mine. Once it came back clean he handed it to me unloaded and asked that i not load it till he drove off. And BTW i got outa the ticket cuz in his words i had the commen courtesy to inform him of the weapon which i am not legally bound to do in my state. I can not speak for other places but my local and county LEOs have been nothing but professional. Sadly i cant say as much for the state troopers tho. They seem to be the most ignorant of NM state laws go figure huh:banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
When i got pulled over for speeding i made sure my hand were on the steering wheel and told him in a calm voice that i just wanted him to know there was a loaded HG in the car. He the asked me where it was and asked me to get out of the car. Once he took control of the weapon we had a nice lil chat about his carry piece vs mine. Once it came back clean he handed it to me unloaded and asked that i not load it till he drove off. And BTW i got outa the ticket cuz in his words i had the commen courtesy to inform him of the weapon which i am not legally bound to do in my state. I can not speak for other places but my local and county LEOs have been nothing but professional. Sadly i cant say as much for the state troopers tho. They seem to be the most ignorant of NM state laws go figure huh:banghead:

Understand the desire to want a good outcome, but helping a LEO to search for a mistake on your part -why?

If you had purchased the gun from a private party and it had been reported stolen you likely would have been in cuffs soon enough.

Does your state allow running the numbers on guns removed for officer safety?

BTW - The OP claimed to have OCd for 10 years, fired average of 500 rds/mo, then asked uniformed questions on other threads, and hasn't posted since 9/27/10.

Twelve [strike]shot[/strike] post drive by, me thinks.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

It really is frustrating to those of us who are working hard to curtail unwarranted government intrusion into our lives, when there are so many who are all too willing to freely throw their rights away.

Last edited:

j4l

Probable cause that an individual has committed a crime. If an officer sees you committing an offense (like speeding or failing to wear a seatbelt) he is entitled to arrest, detain and disarm you. In fact, he can cuff you and bring you into the station (see here). Suggesting that, as an alternative to a full custodial arrest, he cannot detain and disarm is utterly bizarre.

Not that he was correct, mind you, but it is undoubtedly within an LEOs power to effect an arrest. He should exercise his power judiciously (and most do, how often does someone get a full custodial arrest for speeding anyway -- he sounds like a jerk) but playing cowboy lawyer, especially when you are wrong, is hardly advisable.

1000% correct. PLay it cool,hotheads and quick-draw wannabes, real life aint the movies..

...........--Moderator Comment--

Decidedly unnecessary characterization - same as a personal attack.
Stick to the facts, if you will please. Do not instigate flame wars.

SPRINGFIELDMAN-21

I didnt buy it privately i bought it brand new still in the box from a dealer. And he asked if he could run the numbers wich i have no problem with. Id rather tell him i have a HG then him see it by my side and pull his gun on me. Yes i realize not all cops are good but my experiences have told me that most are. They just wana go home at the end of the day same as anyone else. There job is hard enough with out me making it harder. I know my rights in my state. I could of told him to get bent and that he couldnt touch it. But why cause a unnecessary confrontation which who knows how it could end. Id rather be treated unjustly and deal with it through the right channels. Instead of laying on the pavement in my own blood cuz because a rookie/nervous cop freaked out when he sees a gun. Just my opinion

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I didnt buy it privately i bought it brand new still in the box from a dealer. And he asked if he could run the numbers wich i have no problem with. Id rather tell him i have a HG then him see it by my side and pull his gun on me. Yes i realize not all cops are good but my experiences have told me that most are. They just wana go home at the end of the day same as anyone else. There job is hard enough with out me making it harder. I know my rights in my state. I could of told him to get bent and that he couldnt touch it. But why cause a unnecessary confrontation which who knows how it could end. Id rather be treated unjustly and deal with it through the right channels. Instead of laying on the pavement in my own blood cuz because a rookie/nervous cop freaked out when he sees a gun. Just my opinion

Why go from one extreme to the other?

A "good officer" would not pull his gun on anyone for not breaking the law. Telling him to "get bent" and "couldn't touch it" is hardly a reasonable response, I agree. I sincerely doubt that your going to be finding yourself "laying on the pavement in my own blood" if you conduct yourself with a measure of good decorum.

My suggestions:

When the officer "asks" me to get out of the vehicle. I would prefer not - would you like my driving license and registration? At that point I am handing him those items along with my CHP - yes I know it is not required in Va.

He now knows all he needs to know + that I have a CHP.

Do you have a weapon/gun on you now MR. *****?

Yes, sir I do on my right hip.

Step out of the vehicle NOW!

Yes sir officer - I will do so under duress as you demand. I get out and lock my door with the keys inside - I have another hidden on the vehicle - he is going to have 0% chance to illegally search my truck.

Take your gun out and set it on the bed of the truck - Do it!

Sir I'd will not touch my weapon under these circumstances, but again under duress and because you demand it I will not resist you in any way.

If he disarms me, so be it. Meanwhile I am recording the entire event as it unfolds If he takes my gun back to his vehicle, I will ask him when he returns why he did that.

I would sooner get the ticket and file a complaint and perhaps suit against the officer than avoid the small fine and have no basis for a complaint. The really good officer would not take it to this level. The semi-anti officer will quickly realize you are knowledgeable and he is on thin ice. The true SOB will start to feel the heat tomorrow, not now on the street.

You see, your way is consensual - you agreed to give up your rights. You lose 100% of the validity of a complaint. Worse, you educated no one and contributed to the continued infringement of the rights of others.

You may indeed "know my rights in my state,' but you are selling them very cheaply indeed - it does not have to be so. You can still be a responsible gentleman and not trash your rights (and mine too) in such a cavalier manner.

Think on it, don't take offense as none is intended. Study, practice and be better prepared next time. OK?

Last edited:

Gunslinger

He cleaned your gun for you?!?! That was certainly nice! :banana:

Oh.... wait.... you mean he checked the serial number to see if your gun was stolen absent any possible RAS to indicate it might be stolen?

You invited him to remove you from the vehicle, perform a search of your vehicle, seize your property, handle a loaded gun unnecessarily, and search for evidence of a crime he had no RAS to believe had occurred. But at least he was professional about it.

NM isn't that far. If I could get the guy to clean my M-4 for me, I may take a ride down there.

hermannr

I find this thread very strange. I read one person that identified himself as a LEO...he/she wrote "unless it is a felon stop, you normally do not ask someone to exit the vehicle"

I have been stopped (quite often when I was younger) before, and have never been asked to exit the vehicle, even when driving very fast in the desert (testing my car). As a mater of fact, I did get out of the car the very first time I was stopped (this was in 1963) and was told to get back in the car and sit tight....?????? That has not changed as far as I know...granted I haven't been stopped in several years now...but???