• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dumb move

eye95

You talk to a supervisor when a K-Mart employee is rude to you. When someone assaults you with a deadly weapon, you seek criminal and civil remedies.

Last edited:

Roger Mosley Jr

You talk to a supervisor when a K-Mart employee is rude to you. When someone assaults you with a deadly weapon, you seek criminal and civil remedies.

That may be true for John Q. Public if they pulled a weapon on ya. But with someone with a badge, you can do a lot without spending money or loosing money going to court, especially if they do not live in this state. I realize that everyone will have a different opinion, which is a beautiful thing, but that doesn't mean I am wrong. Saying "wrong" may be incorrect but it's the only word that comes to mind. Why talk to a supervisor about an employee at K-Mart? Just sue them for going against your civil rights. I can understand why the orginal poster was humiliated. Since the courthouse may have been closed at the time a supervisor would have done the trick at that specific moment in time.

eye95

That may be true for John Q. Public if they pulled a weapon on ya...

Nope. That's true for anyone who commits a violent crime against me. I don't talk to their supervisor. I press criminal charges and seek civil remedies. Period. Feel free to handle it however you choose. I just believe that the law exists primarily to protect us from violence, so the law is the tool I will use against it, not some internal complaint system. Again, period.

Last edited:

Roger Mosley Jr

Nope. That's true for anyone who commits a violent crime against me. I don't talk to their supervisor. I press criminal charges and seek civil remedies. Period. Feel free to handle it however you choose. I just believe that the law exists primarily to protect us from violence, so the law is the tool I will use against it, not some internal complaint system. Again, period.

In other words what you are saying is that you would have protected yourself by drawing and fire at the cop since it is lawful to protect yourself even by deadly force? BTW, I noticed you didn't say anything about the opinion part I put in my last reply. This thread was to find out what people would do in this situation not getting everyone in an uproar. So please let it be that. Your opinion is just that, neither right or wrong just like mine.

eye95

In other words what you are saying is that you would have protected yourself by drawing and fire at the cop since it is lawful to protect yourself even by deadly force? BTW, I noticed you didn't say anything about the opinion part I put in my last reply. This thread was to find out what people would do in this situation not getting everyone in an uproar. So please let it be that. Your opinion is just that, neither right or wrong just like mine.

Please don't say that I said things that I did not. I don't discuss with folks who use such underhanded tactics. I choose my words carefully and I said what I said, nothing more and nothing less.

Were a LEO to do to me what the OP reported was done to him, I would press criminal charges and seek a civil remedy also. Period.

Oh, and the fact that I have the whole thing recorded will mean that I have excellent cases, both civil and criminal, against the thug who assaulted me with a deadly weapon--a felony, BTW.

Last edited:

Roger Mosley Jr

Please don't say that I said things that I did not. I don't discuss with folks who use such underhanded tactics. I choose my words carefully and I said what I said, nothing more and nothing less.

Were a LEO to do to me what the OP reported was done to him, I would press criminal charges and seek a civil remedy also. Period.

Oh, and the fact that I have the whole thing recorded will mean that I have excellent cases, both civil and criminal, against the thug who assaulted me with a deadly weapon--a felony, BTW.

Guess you didn't see the question mark at the end of that sentence. That is what you would do, neither right or wrong, just like mine, neither right or wrong.

eye95

Guess you didn't see the question mark at the end of that sentence. That is what you would do, neither right or wrong, just like mine, neither right or wrong.

Yeah, people do that. They make it sound like you said something totally different from what you did and say, "I was just asking."

No.

You created the distinct impression that I said something that no reasonable person could even infer from what I said. Your tactic was deceptive and underhanded. You won't take responsibility for your behavior. There is no point in continuing a discussion with someone with that kind of behavior and attitude. I prefer rational and honest discussions and won't participate in irrational and dishonest discussions.

Moving on.

sraacke

As Slidelljim mentioned, it seems to be SOP for LSP to order you out of the car and to the rear. I've been stopped twice for speeding recently by LSP and both times ordered to step out by the trooper over his PA. I was told to turn in a circle and when the trooper saw my empty holster asked, "Where's YOUR GUN?" I replied that it was safely locked inside of the vehicle. As soon as I realize that I'm being pulled over I unholster and place the gun in my glove compartment which is then locked. Upon being told to exit the vehicle I exit and lock the doors behind me. Each time I was questioned and released with a warning. No problems.

BowhuntnHoosier

Sounds like the cop had a problem. Around here they do not even pull you over if doing 5mph or less over posted limit. And 20mph over posted limit is considered wreckless driving. And is an arrestable offense. I was pulled over doing 13mph over and the deputy sheriff only gave me a seat belt violation. I think either something else had happened or the officer was grossly negligent.

NovaCop

Sry. Lol. Any way. I pulled over and was asked over the PA to exit the vehicle and move to the rear of my truck. No big deal right? About the time I get there he is exiting his vehicle. I saw his eyes drop to my side arm. I knew what was coming by how big his eyes had gotten.
He dropped his clip board and drew on me. I'm well trained both on my own and by the military. Being on the buisiness end of a firearm is a serious situation to be in. I o ly hesitated because he was a LEO. I know my abilities and this could have gone much worse. I have tremendous respect for law enforcement , but t that moment I was in fear of my life

This is obviously a fake post. A LEO rarely orders someone out of their car to meet with them during a traffic stop unless its a felony stop. During a normal stop, it would be more dangerous for both officer and driver. Unless this was the officer's first day, I'm sure he has been in many situations where someone has been around him with a holstered gun. And the biggest reason why I know this post is fake is because of this part of the story "He dropped his clip board and drew on me.". No officer approaches a traffic stop with a clip board in hand, they only approach after they have gone back to run your information and write the ticket. This post doesn't make any sense, and given the fact that the OP has less than 15 posts make me more suspicious.

On a side note, given any circumstances where a LEO "draws down on you" I can't see any justification to returning fire because you fear for your life. You don't know what information the LEO is going on. Maybe you match the description of an armed suspect. It's best to file a complaint after the fact.

eye95

This is obviously a fake post. A LEO rarely orders someone out of their car to meet with them during a traffic stop unless its a felony stop. During a normal stop, it would be more dangerous for both officer and driver. Unless this was the officer's first day, I'm sure he has been in many situations where someone has been around him with a holstered gun. And the biggest reason why I know this post is fake is because of this part of the story "He dropped his clip board and drew on me.". No officer approaches a traffic stop with a clip board in hand, they only approach after they have gone back to run your information and write the ticket. This post doesn't make any sense, and given the fact that the OP has less than 15 posts make me more suspicious.

On a side note, given any circumstances where a LEO "draws down on you" I can't see any justification to returning fire because you fear for your life. You don't know what information the LEO is going on. Maybe you match the description of an armed suspect. It's best to file a complaint after the fact.

Makes sense. The post seemed a little far-fetched to me. Now that you pointed out some specifics, it is easy to see that the story is, at the very least, wildly embellished. At worst, it is a total fabrication.

Still, even if the post was a juvenile cry for attention, he caused thought-provoking replies. That seems to happen around here.

Bowers

"given the fact that the OP has less than 15 posts make me more suspicious."

I read this site almost daily for the better part of a year before my first post. Even though this might smell fishy, let's not make judgments based on the number of posts someone has. yeah, hit-n-runs happen, but better to give the benefit of the doubt, regardless of a high or low post count.

also, (something that irritates me from other threads) higher post count does NOT = higher intelligence

On the actual content of the OP's story... it's feasible. I've been ordered out of the car before. In this part of the woods it seems the exception rather than the norm, but it still happens. So can't be saying that it doesn't ever happen.

sharkey

As Slidelljim mentioned, it seems to be SOP for LSP to order you out of the car and to the rear. I've been stopped twice for speeding recently by LSP and both times ordered to step out by the trooper over his PA. I was told to turn in a circle and when the trooper saw my empty holster asked, "Where's YOUR GUN?" I replied that it was safely locked inside of the vehicle. As soon as I realize that I'm being pulled over I unholster and place the gun in my glove compartment which is then locked. Upon being told to exit the vehicle I exit and lock the doors behind me. Each time I was questioned and released with a warning. No problems.

I personally don't think it's a good idea to be handling your weapon while being pulled over.

Bowers

I personally don't think it's a good idea to be handling your weapon while being pulled over.

+1

What if the LEO was walking up on the passenger side (as they often do to protect themselves from traffic), you didn't see them, and you go to unholster your gun and place it in the glovebox? They see you draw the gun, and your family gets a closed casket funeral.

Gunslinger

Interesting thread I missed, but seems to have resurfaced. First, to the post above, there was no RAS. Legally carrying a pistol in a state where OC is lawful has been held to not meet the Terry criteria over and over again. And the burden is on the cop to show it, not the citizen to dispute it. So, conclusion 1 is that the cop was an ******* or on some Wild West power trip. Conclusion 2 is that the OP, who has seemingly vanished, was either making this up or left a critical fact or two on the cutting room floor. Thinking he could outdraw a drawn weapon, unless he is the Cisco Kid, is pure BS. Finally, with respect to most of the discussion, the cop committed Aggravated Assault by pointing a loaded weapon at him without justification. Would he be charged? NFW. The "officer safety" ******** would rise to the surface and a *** *** ******* judge would toss it--even if a DA had the balls to bring it up on a charge. However--the cop, if the story is true, should be hammered for his actions. I would go to the Attorney General's office with a complaint and copy my local state rep. Maybe nothing happens, maybe it does. But all that's necessary for evil to triumph--on any level, is for good men to do nothing.

Gunslinger

Reality check, IF a LEO points a gun at you, that is not the time for you to demand that the LEO prove RAS....he may feel his safety is in jeopardy.:uhoh:

Two, the OP stipulates that he is in a vehicle, got out and then the LEO saw his weapon. Does seeing equate to OC? Is OCing a XD .40 in a DeSantis Viper holster with a light jacket/windbreaker on, unzipped equate to CCW? Everybody knows I am packing heat in this type of jacket so I don't even try to zip it closed. Am I OCing or CCWing?

C: It does not matter at this point in this thread whether or not the story is true or false. The premise is valid. The situation, while outlandish, is not improbable. We have taken the bait and it seems we are desperately trying to spit the hook out.:cool:

I don't disagree with you, but am pointing out irregularities in the story. As to RAS, as I said, it doesn't exist. I'm not advocating doing anything but complying in the situation. As to the legal chain afterwards, that's another story. As to your OC question, seeing equates to OC. A windbreaker over a pistol is CC. I do this often in CO, but don't particularly care if the pistol is seen as OC is lawful outside of Denver County. I'd keep it zipped there.

Spearhead

personally i woulda complied while asking him "On what grounds are you pointing your weapon at me and ordering me to the ground?... (continued below)...

<Insert loud BANG here>

When you have a trigger happy cop with a gun pointed at you, it ain't the time for chit-chat. The intelligent option is to obey his commands, then seek your recourse with the department and thru the court system.

I would assume your "military training" also taught you to pick your battles in order to win the war.

Last edited: