• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fifth Annual NOVA OCDO Picnic! July 16th @ 4PM

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I'll try to make this one. I can't think of anything to bring that isn't already covered, so I'll bring the helicopter lure. :)

If anybody can see something that still needs bringing, lemme know.

paramedic

Open carry is totally cool and legal at Burke Lake. I OC there at least once a month, every month of the year.

Yea I figured, I was just picking on Fairfax County, before I moved to Woodbridge, we were living in Springfield, although it was going to be temporary, the wife and I were going to apply for our CHP, and I could not what FFX county wanted. And working in the EMS system(a little hard to explain unless you have encountered it), they have always put themselves on a pretty high peda stool.

paramedic

Haha 20 bowls of potato salad was always on the list...carried over from previous years. Just a running gag. :p:lol:

Burke Lake Park is a Fairfax County park so OC is fine. Fairfax has no say in the matter after Richmond preempted localities many moons ago. ;)

I guess that is what I get for being the FNG

user

Accomplished Advocate
If I recall correctly, alcoholic beverages are prohibited. One would not want to provide any excuse for official action on the part of agents of the state.

I see the list shows no charcoal; I've got that and fluid, as well as a couple of burger-flippy things. I'll try to show up early so as to have time to get the fire lit in preparation for the cremation.

Last edited:

EyeBlz

Regrets

We will not be able to make the picnic on Saturday. I hope to catch the next one for sure.

Derek

possumboy

I may stop by. The kids are gone to grandparents so I may not be out of bed that early - at least if I can help it. If I do show, I will bring my own food (which I'm used to doing anyway).

It's been a while since I have seen everyone, so I'm hoping to make it.

I don't remember seeing it in the thread, but there is a charge for non-Fairfax County residents.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/burkelake/faq.htm

There is no entrance fee for Fairfax County residents. The charge for non-county residents on weekends and holidays only (no charge on weekdays), April through late October is as follows:

Car/Motorcycle: $8.00
Large Capacity Van: $8.00
Bus: $40.00

IanB

For those of you new to the BLP pic-i-nic stories: the helicopter lure, riot shields, etc you should read this:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=3190&forum_id=54

Then watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh6dbWl4l_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyQXLXRFFbg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlGIHSeG260
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2WjvLT4CCc

Now you're in the know.
the_more_you_know.jpg

The 20 bowls of potato salad is a running joke, it appeared on the first list of things to bring (created by someone with the initials "Longwatch") and was joked about for a while. I has appeared on the list every year since.

The helicopter lure is to bring the police back out like the first year.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
If I recall correctly, alcoholic beverages are prohibited. One would not want to provide any excuse for official action on the part of agents of the state.

I see the list shows no charcoal; I've got that and fluid, as well as a couple of burger-flippy things. I'll try to show up early so as to have time to get the fire lit in preparation for the cremation.
Don't worry I got that stuff covered.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
OK list updated, and we are pretty well covered. Remember starting time is 4pm. The picnic area is first come, first served, so there is no guarantee that we will be at the usual spot, look for my green GMC pickup truck. Bring chairs or a blanket if you prefer because the tables will be pretty full with food. OK lets have fun!

Jonton

yikes! might not be able to make it. i booked a last minute photoshoot tomorrow, however it's in fairfax and should be over by 5. so i -might- still make it. just wanted to give you a heads up if for some reason you're doing a headcount.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
yikes! might not be able to make it. i booked a last minute photoshoot tomorrow, however it's in fairfax and should be over by 5. so i -might- still make it. just wanted to give you a heads up if for some reason you're doing a headcount.

I'm bringing a camera but I'm pretty sure my pictures won't be nearly as good as yours would be....

Harper1227

Harper and Rogers + kiddos

Sorry for the late reply. Didnt think we'd be able to make it. But look like we can. Let me know of there is any last minute need. Other wise we'll bring food and chairs.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I'm cheering because I got out of hospital yesterday, and will be dropping by for a while. I'll stop and pick up some extra drinks.

Anyone need a 28 -quart foam cooler? What about reusable foam cooling blocks. I'll have them there; grab 'em if you want 'em.

Looking forward to seeing all....

paramedic

Great time at picnic

I just wanted to thank you all for your hospitality to myself and my family, I know that many of you have known each other for a long time, but everyone there made my entire family feel like we were old friends, and have always been a part of the group. We are looking forward to further events.