• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fifth Annual NOVA OCDO Picnic! July 16th @ 4PM

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Thank you Longwatch and Mrs Longwatch

Outstanding gathering. It was a little odd not to be in the usual spot, but this was really, really nice. We had a great time, and loved seeing everyone again.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
A good time was had by all.

A plan is a list of things that may not happen, but the only thing that didn't work out was the choice of spot and parking was a challenge. 30 folks made it though, and thanks for everybody's contributions!

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
If you do not want your pic up please let me know and I will take it down.

N6H4073.jpg

_N6H4074.jpg

_N6H4075.jpg

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Who brought the cupcakes? Those are awesome!

Sorry we couldn't make it. Too many other commitments hit this weekend. There's always next time!

Mrs. Longwatch. She made the chocolate guns too!

zoom6zoom

Sorry I missed a great time. Got home late on Friday after eight long days working in Minneapolis, and was on call Saturday. Lost my cell at the airport so had to stay close to my VoIP phone all day. :(

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Sorry I missed a great time. Got home late on Friday after eight long days working in Minneapolis, and was on call Saturday. Lost my cell at the airport so had to stay close to my VoIP phone all day. :(

You know, I think this is why I am unimpressed with phone technology. The phone companies promote their phones can talk to Mars, google data hidden in Saturn's rings, and send zillion-gig four-dimensionsal text photos to Pluto. Wanta impress me Motorola? Make a phone that can track me down and make its way back to me again after I lose it!

I have the same beef with auto makers. Cars have all these fancy gizmos these days. And "futuristic" aerodynamic styling. Yet, the darn things run on the same technology as my great-great-grandfather's kerosene lantern: it burns a liquid hydrocarbon. Come on already. You guys have been tweaking these things for over a century. Gimme a Luke Skywalker desert ground speeder already.

:)

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Well, Ruger and I had a great time! Thanks to everyone!

I especially want to commend the person who arranged for the weather conditions.

zoom6zoom

Make a phone that can track me down and make its way back to me again after I lose it!
:)

This feature will be enabled after the .gov completes implanting the chips in all of us. Or using the nanobots, I forget which. That's why I don't get flu shots, they are actually used for the delivery system. ;)

user

Accomplished Advocate
This feature will be enabled after the .gov completes implanting the chips in all of us. Or using the nanobots, I forget which. That's why I don't get flu shots, they are actually used for the delivery system. ;)

Actually, it doesn't require that the phone find you, but that you find the phone. Which is already possible. Unless you have the phone inside a metal box or take the batteries out, its "enhanced" 911 ("E-911") capability works, even if it's turned off. The phone company or law enforcement can turn features on the phone on remotely, including the camera, microphone, and gps functions; it's designed to allow eavesdropping and spying by Homeland Insecurity / Bureau of State Security ("KGB") / Secret Police & "law enforcement". (That's how the cops in England got the data to sell to the newspapers, it wasn't "hacking".)

So, anyway, get the phone company to check the phone's GPS function, go there, and call the phone from another phone - it should be within about ten feet of the location they gave you.