• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FOIA request denied by Fairfax PD

Thundar

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
You were doing OK until now 229. I think the officer had the right to secure the weapon during the stop although it's a little anal considering they freely admitted to having a legally carried gun. Most crazed killers don't do that.

I don't think he had the right to run the serial number assuming he did.

But what does the video have to do with anything. Sure cops get shot, so do shopkeepers, housewives, cab drivers, etc.

Playing the "It's a jungle out there" card gets a little annoying after a while.
Sorry you feel that way. I am just accustomed to having to back up anything I say here so don't hate me... hate those that demand I prove and cite everything said. :lol:

1. What if the serial number is covered by electrical tape?Does the police officer have the right to remove the tape to run the numbers?

2. Is the officer unlawfully detaining someone for the time it takes to run the serial number of the gun if the gun owner was not detained for a suspected stolen gun or other gun related crime?

LEO 229, my spyware is really going bonkers about the scripting in your video. You might want to remove the video and replace it with a clean version.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP It seems that he was on as much of a fishing expedition as the officer. :uhoh:
For forum members who might be unaware, the VA FOIA encourages fishing. It even gives us a license.

Here is the very first section of the VA FOIA,emphasis mine:

§ 2.2-3700. Short title; policy.

...The provisions of this chapter shall be liberally construed to promote an increased awareness by all persons of governmental activities and afford every opportunity to citizens to witness the operations of government. Any exemption from public access to records or meetings shall be narrowly construed and no record shall be withheld or meeting closed to the public unless specifically made exempt pursuant to this chapter or other specific provision of law. This chapter shall not be construed to discourage the free discussion by government officials or employees of public matters with the citizens of the Commonwealth....

Sheriff

imported post

Citizen wrote:
For forum members who might be unaware, the VA FOIA encourages fishing. It even gives us a license.

That's correct. But law enforcement agents pretty much ignore the entire FOIA thing until backed into a corner. The sheriff in Madison County, Virginia was just fined for failing to disclose public information. And you, the taxpayer, has to fund his defense bill and his legal fees during the appeal. See.....

http://www.madison-news.com/mce/news/local/article/taxpayers_may_fund_sheriffs_appeal/21213/

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote
I get so tired of people who pretend to be aformer law enforcement. :lol:

The jobs listedare absolutely the most dangerous out there. And that is because their job ispretty much the samedangerous task all day long.

A cops job is like many other jobs.Dangerous during a specific event. In this case...when he is on a traffic stop or ona call. Otherwise.... sitting in a carand driving in traffic is only as dangerous as it is to be in a motorist.

So please do not try to down play things....Each job has its specific dangers. Trash collectors are hit by cars, pilots die in crashes, power-line workersare electrocuted, fisherman drown, cops are shot, stabbed, hit by cars,and die in vehicle crashes.

But it seems that Sheriff is the one that actually brought it up so he could twist the topic and Bob played right into his hands. I was only pointing out why officers need to maintain a safe environment when dealing with armed people and what could happen.

In no way did I say that it was THE most dangerous job. In any job... fishing, construction, and what not.... you do what you can to limit your exposure to certain death. Just because you job is not HIGH on the list is no reason to become complacent.

OK, you have the most dangerous job in the entire world. Because of this you should be paid $250,000 a year starting salary. You should be issued an armored Chevrolet 2500 Suburban. And should you get killed performing your duties, your wife should be paid $250 million dollars.

There! Feel better now? :lol:

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
Thanks for importing the list BobCav.

I get so tired of seeing cops whine about their jobs being so dangerous.
But it seems that Sheriff is the one that actually brought it up so he could twist the topic and Bob played right into his hands.

You having trouble keeping up again? Peter Nap brought the subjectup, not me. :D

Sheriff

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Fairfax County PD monitors this website regularly.

Since this forums deals with weapons and citizen rights, maybe all law enforcement agencies should be required to monitor this site. They can learn the law and stop harassing honest law abiding families carrying weapons legally in public places. :D

EDIT forspelling

LEO 229

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Fairfax County PD monitors this website regularly.

Since this forums deals with weapons and citizen rights, maybe all law enforcement agencies should be required to monitor this site. They can learn the law and stop harassing honest law abiding families carrying weapons legally in public places. :D

EDIT forspelling
Finally.... something we can agree on...

apjonas

imported post

Physician heal thyself. My quotation is from part V of the opinion. I don't even think the verbiage is in the syllabus but even if it were, its authority would still stem from the fact that is what the majority wrote in the opinion. LEO 229 asked a specific question and I gave a specific answer. We can discuss Terry all day as to its meaning. There is much case law that does just that. However my answer was (1) entirely correct and (2) responsive to LEO 229's question. So please hold the name calling until you have done more thorough research. Apology accepted.:celebrate

Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
apjonas wrote:
Well, how about Terry itself?
We merely hold today that where a police officer observes unusual conduct which leads him reasonably to conclude in light of his experience that criminal activity may be afoot and that the persons with whom he is dealing may be armed and presently dangerous, where in the course of investigating this behavior he identifies himself as a policeman and makes reasonable inquiries, and where nothing in the initial stages of the encounter serves to dispel his reasonable fear for his own or others' safety, he is entitled for the protection of himself and others in the area to conduct a carefully limited search of the outer clothing of such persons in an attempt to discover weapons which might be used to assault him.
SNIP What exactly is your question? This is a traffic stop that deals with disarming a motorist during the stop.

Let's shift over to a lesser known ruling... Michigan v Long where the officer can search the passenger area of the vehicle to check for weapons.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0463_1032_ZS.html

"Nor did they act unreasonably in taking preventive measures to ensure that there were no other weapons within respondent's immediate grasp before permitting him to reenter his automobile. The fact that respondent was under the officers' control during the investigative stop does not render unreasonable their belief that he could injure them."
Forum members should read the entire court opinion linked above. The Supreme Court said, in pertinent part:

Our past cases indicate, then, that protection of police and others can justify protective searches when police have a reasonable belief that the suspect poses a danger, that roadside encounters between police and suspects are especially hazardous, and that danger may arise from the possible presence of weapons in the area surrounding a suspect. These principles compel our conclusion that the search of the passenger compartment of an automobile, limited to those areas in which a weapon may be placed or hidden, is permissible if the police officer possesses a reasonable belief based on "specific and articulable facts which, taken together with the rational inferences from those facts, reasonably warrant" the officer in believing that the suspect is dangerousAND the suspect may gain immediate control of weapons.[suP] [n14][/suP] See Terry, 392 [p1050] U.S. at 21. (all emphasis added)

NOTE: The link in the quoted post above takes you to a syllabus of the opinion. Not the opinion itself. At the top of the syllabus page there are links to the actual opinion itself in html and pdf. I think the protective search part of the opinion begins in section III.

It seems the quoted poster pulled his quote from the syllabus, which to my knowledge carries no legal weight.

Also, the poster's quote omits important information--the sentence in the syllabus immediately preceding the quote. I'll include it here with the first sentence of thequote:

The circumstances of this case justified the officers in their reasonable belief that respondent posed a danger if he were permitted to reenter his vehicle. Nor did they act unreasonably in taking preventive measures to ensure that there were no other weapons within respondent's immediate grasp before permitting him to reenter his automobile. (emphasis added)

I consider that presenting the Court's opinion in a way that misrepresents their views undermines them. Its one thing to criticize them when they get it wrong. Its something else to give people the impression that they got it wrong when they actually got it fairly right. On the exact point under discussion in this exact case, I believe they have a fairly good handle on the subject, balancing rights with protecting police.

Thundar

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Covering the SN with electrical tape would beobscuring the S/N (even temporarily) and a violation of fed law, IIRC.

BobCav, I looked for 1/2 an hour and could not find the code, only the part in 44 US Code about selling with a destroyed S/N. Do you know where that code is?

I am concerned because the Crimson Laser Grips on my S&W 642 obscure the S/N.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thundar wrote:
BobCav wrote:
Covering the SN with electrical tape would beobscuring the S/N (even temporarily) and a violation of fed law, IIRC.

BobCav, I looked for 1/2 an hour and could not find the code, only the part in 44 US Code about selling with a destroyed S/N. Do you know where that code is?

Gee, my holster obscures mine...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Thundar wrote:
BobCav wrote:

You can look in the Manufacturers handbook from the ATF Thundar. They cite the code there. Virginia also has a statute concerning altered or removed serial numbers. One of the reasons your having trouble with the Federal serial numbers is that it's actually an IRS regulation that's administered through the ATF. It's the tax number in essence.

For makers that are tax exempt, the ATF can issue a control number.

Bob is wrong I believe! Tape does not alter or destroy a serial number, it just covers it with a removable layer. As long as your number is intact, you should be OK.

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

I pull up to the light, stop,and turn on my turn signal again, a different car (not the same car that sped up when I turned on my signal before) then starts to creep forward so as not to allow me in. I'm irritated and just go anyway, mostly because I have no idea where I am and am trying to turn around. I get my bumper just in front of his and wait till the light changes. He honks his horn at me....and then turns on his lights :D. It was an unmarked police car.
Sounds like from your description it wasn't so much the lane change, it was that you lane changed in front of him. How DARE you!

I've seen a lot of LE allow exactly what you just described - Before LEO asks - Fairfax County and Alexandria City. Yes, the solid white lines are there for a reason, and certainly he had no legal obligation to let you in, and certainly you were impolite to use mass to achieve those ends, but he was certainly every bit as discourteous for the attempted block. :? That's unusual from my observation of FCPD driving. My biggest complaint about their driving is that cell-phone that they seemingly have super-glued to their hands while they're driving. :p

we had a loaded gun on the dashboard. He ran the serial #'s, issued me a warning and that was it.

<soapbox> That isn't exactly the safest place for a gun. If you made a sudden swerve, or got into a spin the gun would be ballistic and could land anywhere inside or out of the cab. NOT good. I had a cell phone perform very similar aerobatics inside the cab of my '01 Lightning as I took a sharp turn. Itseemed to levitate out of my dashboard cup holder arcing over the passenger seat and bounced off the upper door trim and landed on the floor with a thud. If you ever watch guys prep street carsfor a track day, or autocross, they will literally purge the entire cabin of anything that canlaunch or come loose and go ballistic.</soapbox>

I wonder if the gun on the dash wasn't part of the reason the gun was an issue in the first place. It seems to me that this places the gun "in play", certainly within easy reach. Easier than if it were holstered anyway.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

peter nap wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:
Thundar wrote:
BobCav wrote:

You can look in the Manufacturers handbook from the ATF Thundar. They cite the code there. Virginia also has a statute concerning altered or removed serial numbers. One of the reasons your having trouble with the Federal serial numbers is that it's actually an IRS regulation that's administered through the ATF. It's the tax number in essence.

Bob is wrong I believe! Tape does not alter or destroy a serial number, it just covers it with a removable layer. As long as your number is intact, you should be OK.
I know it doesn't destroy the SN, and a holster doesn't intentionally obscure it, but covering with tape would be INTENTIONALLY obsuring, even though it's temporary. I'll dig around. Of course I could be completely wrong.

Thundar

imported post

BobCav wrote:
peter nap wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:
Thundar wrote:
BobCav wrote:

I know it doesn't destroy the SN, and a holster doesn't intentionally obscure it, but covering with tape would be INTENTIONALLY obsuring, even though it's temporary. I'll dig around. Of course I could be completely wrong.
After a lot of searching here is what I found about changing, altering, etc. firearms serial numbers :

federal:

Title 18 US Code Chapter 44 § 922 (9) (k)

It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered, or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

Commonwealth:

§
18.2-311.1. Removing, altering, etc., serial number or other identification on firearm.

Any person, firm, association or corporation who or which intentionally removes, defaces, alters, changes, destroys or obliterates in any manner or way or who or which causes to be removed, defaced, altered, changed, destroyed or obliterated in any manner or way the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's or serial number, or any other mark or identification on any pistol, shotgun, rifle, machine gun or any other firearm shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

It does not appear illegal to obscure a serial number under either federal or Commonwealth law, so the Crimson Laser Grips on my S&W 642 that obscure the serial number appear legal.

So, assuming I am reading the laws correctly,the serial number of a firearm whose serial number is obscured by electrical tape would not be discoverable by law enforcement as part of a Terry stop, right??

Marco

imported post

Many older revolvers (Colt Python) the grips need to be removed to viewtheir SN#'s as with a Browning HP if the owner put wrap around grips on.
Glocks with rails have the SN# in the rail and the SN# would be obscured if any accessory was installed. Yes, I know they also have SN#s on the barrels, barrels can be changed

pix808365438.jpg

pix939175391.jpg

Covering the SN# with something that can be removed is not the same as altering/changing or removingit permanently

Like Roscoe said the holster covers the SN# as does our clothing if we CC.

swillden

imported post

Thundar wrote:
It does not appear illegal to obscure a serial number under either federal or Commonwealth law, so the Crimson Laser Grips on my S&W 642 that obscure the serial number appear legal.

So, assuming I am reading the laws correctly,the serial number of a firearm whose serial number is obscured by electrical tape would not be discoverable by law enforcement as part of a Terry stop, right??
Hmm. Utah law doesn't seem to address firearm serial numbers at all, so only Federal law would apply here.

Yeah, I think removing the tape to get the serial number would constitute an illegal search, unless the officer had probable cause to suspect the firearm was stolen or used in a crime. So the "reasonable suspicion" requirement for a Terry Stop would not be sufficient to justify the search.

Sheriff

imported post

swillden wrote:
I think removing the tape to get the serial number would constitute an illegal search, unless the officer had probable cause to suspect the firearm was stolen....
Covering the serial number with tape is all thereasonable suspicionan officer would need to think some type of criminal activity existed. The same would apply if you stole a car and covered the license plate with duct tape.

I don't think any judge would rule it an illegal search if an officer removed the tape to see the serial number.

Wikipedia:

Reasonable suspicion is a legal standard in United States law that a person has been, is, or is about to be engaged in criminal activity based on specific and articulable facts and inferences. It is the basis for an investigatory or Terry stop by the police and requires less evidence than probable cause, the legal requirement for arrests and warrants.

swillden

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
swillden wrote:
I think removing the tape to get the serial number would constitute an illegal search, unless the officer had probable cause to suspect the firearm was stolen....
Covering the serial number with tape is all thereasonable suspicionan officer would need to think some type of criminal activity existed. The same would apply if you stole a car and covered the license plate with duct tape.
I don't think the situations are at all analogous. Obscuring the license plate on a vehicle is illegal, but covering the serial number on a firearm is not -- at least not in my state.