• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FOIA request denied by Fairfax PD

Thundar

imported post

My original post is a direct interpretation of both federal and Commonwealth law. I wonder what case law there is out there to confirm that the words in the law mean what they say.

Yes there might be suspicion raised by covering the serial # with electrical tape, but remember a Terry Stop does not permit invasive searches, only those for officer safety. An officer may take and even unload a gun under Terry, but the tape does not threaten the officer. Removing the tape to further an investigation without a warrant wouldbe an unreasonable search.

I am just wondering about serial numbers because of thegun confiscationcases in Pennsylvania.Imagine if those serial numbers were not constitutionally available to the no good gun grabbers (or the damn BATFE).

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thundar wrote:
My original post is a direct interpretation of both federal and Commonwealth law. I wonder what case law there is out there to confirm that the words in the law mean what they say.

Yes there might be suspicion raised by covering the serial # with electrical tape, but remember a Terry Stop does not permit invasive searches, only those for officer safety. An officer may take and even unload a gun under Terry, but the tape does not threaten the officer. Removing the tape to further an investigation without a warrant wouldbe an unreasonable search.

I am just wondering about serial numbers because of thegun confiscationcases in Pennsylvania.Imagine if those serial numbers were not constitutionally available to the no good gun grabbers (or the damn BATFE).

Hmmmmm. It would certainly give you position to complain, it would seem.

I'm not sure how beneficial it would be beyond that. I'm thinking that all it would do is maybe get the gun thrown out as inadmissable if, upon serial number check, it turned out to be stolen. On the surface it would seem the evidence should be thrown out, but I'm not sure how a judge would rule on it.

Good job on thinking like a lawyer, though.